The BEST and FIRST Qulbix Raptor mid-drive build!

LamereCycles said:
Any updates?
Looks like you're the first in line. I have multiple people after this last drive for some reason. I'll get more made.

This drive wont be installed or ran until after the thaw out so up to you if we get the last model or the new model. Let me know what works best!
LightningRods said:
LamereCycles said:
Any updates?
Looks like you're the first in line. I have multiple people after this last drive for some reason. I'll get more made.

Can you let me know the differences between the old model and this new one you spoke about? Any differences in mounting it on qulbix 140 swingarm?

LightningRods said:
LamereCycles said:
Any updates?

The new motor is an internal permanent magnet motor that is sine wave controller compatible. IPM motors have their magnets imbedded in their rotors rather than stuck on the outside of the rotor. The old big blocks would sometimes throw their magnets at high rpm. Because the new motor is sine wave compatible and doesn’t throw its magnets we can use field weakening for higher rpm. The rev limit of the big block has increased from 4000 rpm @ 20S to 8000 rpm at the same voltage. The motors are externally identical and fitment to the Q76 and Q140 is the same.
I have ten new motors arriving on Wednesday, Jan 22nd. There’s no need to worry about my running out.

LamereCycles said:
Can you let me know the differences between the old model and this new one you spoke about? Any differences in mounting it on qulbix 140 swingarm?

Thats good news!

LightningRods said:
The new motor is an internal permanent magnet motor that is sine wave controller compatible. IPM motors have their magnets imbedded in their rotors rather than stuck on the outside of the rotor. The old big blocks would sometimes throw their magnets at high rpm. Because the new motor is sine wave compatible and doesn’t throw its magnets we can use field weakening for higher rpm. The rev limit of the big block has increased from 4000 rpm @ 20S to 8000 rpm at the same voltage. The motors are externally identical and fitment to the Q76 and Q140 is the same.
I have ten new motors arriving on Wednesday, Jan 22nd. There’s no need to worry about my running out.

LamereCycles said:

Here’s a YouTube video of the new IPM Big Block running with an ASI BAC2000 sine wave controller. 8100 watts and 8000 rpm. The Big Block now has the power and rpm to run single speed gearing with ease.
https://youtu.be/OSbmqA6j_NY

wow,interesting
do you have more data about hte new motor,like rotor width,lamination,kv......

+1 I'm currently saving for this motor for my eeb. Having some specs like number of pole pairs, max phase amps, and max battery amps would be useful to have now so I can start setting up my controller. Super pumped about this motor!

The new motors are internal permanent magnet with five pole pairs. The base kv seems to be around 62 rpm/volt. The standard 4” wide motor has been run at 120 phase amps. The highest rpm run with field weakening was 8500. Weight of the new IPM big block is 11.8 lbs compared to 10 lbs for the old big block that was the same size. The new motors seem to be fully sine wave compatible where the old big block was not. I just received 10 new motors and will be ordering more.

Let us know when you're ready for a sale!

LightningRods said:
The new motors are internal permanent magnet with five pole pairs. The base kv seems to be around 62 rpm/volt. The standard 4” wide motor has been run at 120 phase amps. The highest rpm run with field weakening was 8500. Weight of the new IPM big block is 11.8 lbs compared to 10 lbs for the old big block that was the same size. The new motors seem to be fully sine wave compatible where the old big block was not. I just received 10 new motors and will be ordering more.

LightningRods said:
I’ll have four available on Monday 2/10.

I want to order a kit with the new motor for my EEB. What is the top speed now with the new higher RPM motor? Have you gone to using a larger rear sprocket to increase torque since the motor is now able to spin 3000RPM higher than before?

Hi Joseph,
I have motors, mounting brackets, and the billet hub all in stock. PM me here to get started.
Top speed with the old big block running an ASI BAC2000 was in the low 60 mph range. The new IPM motor has only been bench run so far. Two drives are on their way to customers right now. We should be seeing videos in a couple of weeks. I’m expecting speeds into the 70s.
I have a custom stainless steel rear sprocket with 96t. The standard racing kart sprockets go up to 93t. I also have an adapter for those sprockets. With a 12t driver you’ll have 8:1 with the 96t. That’s about as low as you can go with one stage of reduction.

josephm15234 said:
I want to order a kit with the new motor for my EEB. What is the top speed now with the new higher RPM motor? Have you gone to using a larger rear sprocket to increase torque since the motor is now able to spin 3000RPM higher than before?

What is the largest driver sprocket able to fit on the qulbix swingarm kit?

LightningRods said:
Hi Joseph,
I have motors, mounting brackets, and the billet hub all in stock. PM me here to get started.
Top speed with the old big block running an ASI BAC2000 was in the low 60 mph range. The new IPM motor has only been bench run so far. Two drives are on their way to customers right now. We should be seeing videos in a couple of weeks. I’m expecting speeds into the 70s.
I have a custom stainless steel rear sprocket with 96t. The standard racing kart sprockets go up to 93t. I also have an adapter for those sprockets. With a 12t driver you’ll have 8:1 with the 96t. That’s about as low as you can go with one stage of reduction.

josephm15234 said:

An 18 tooth driver would fit. You don’t want to fit that large a driver. The motor won’t be able to pull 50% higher gearing to its rev limit. Top speed will be close to the same and acceleration and hill climbing will be badly compromised. 8:1 is a good ratio for all around riding.

One thing to mention here about why we want a large driver. We are using a custom dual motor setup. Qs205 50h and you're mid drive will be BOTH driving the rear wheel to spread the heat and load out more. We want the top speed and acceleration to more closely match our low wind qs motor for single throttle use

Okay, with an 18t driver top speed will be about 115 mph. The additional power from the hub motor might get you there. IF your hub can rev to around 1500 rpm.

Your calculations are on par with my own. 1500rpm has already been attained. Thinking 18-93 is going to be the sweet zone but always like going bigger in front before going smaller in back to reduce chain wear. Would a 20t be out of the question? Not sure how much clearance there is around the drive shaft.

Hub motor hit 197mph with field weakening so 2800 rpm on a 17 rim.

LightningRods said:
Okay, with an 18t driver top speed will be about 115 mph. The additional power from the hub motor might get you there. IF your hub can revq to around 1500 rpm.

18t seems to be the limit for manufactured #219 driver sprockets. 64t is the smallest driven sprocket. You can gear as high as 3.55:1. That would equate to 173 mph. :shock:

I had been having a hard time anything larger also. It seems like two piece rear sprockets are out of the question for ratio changes? Or is that not true? Would love to not have to stretch the swingarm with three people while installing the hub every time we want to swap sprockets

LightningRods said:
18t seems to be the limit for manufactured #219 driver sprockets. 64t is the smallest driven sprocket. You can gear as high as 3.55:1. That would equate to 173 mph. :shock:

My sprocket setup uses a split adapter plate meant for one piece sprockets. The split sprockets are supposed to be used on large solid hubs that support them. I wouldn’t use a split sprocket on a split hub adapter. If you can settle on a speed range that you want the 12-18t drivers will give you a 150% variation with the same rear sprocket.

:idea: hmmm good idea. Time to run some more calculations then. Originally had purchased a cheapo 93t sprocket to see what's up but may need to go much smaller if all works as hypothesized

LightningRods said:
My sprocket setup uses a split adapter plate meant for one piece sprockets. The split sprockets are supposed to be used on large solid hubs that support them. I wouldn’t use a split sprocket on a split hub adapter. If you can settle on a speed range that you want the 12-18t drivers will give you a 150% variation with the same rear sprocket.

Do you have any of those 165mm hubs left over I really would like one to finish my build with.Thanks

Back