TSDZ2 Torque Sensor failure ???

reg52nz

1 µW
I have a problem with my TSDZ2 not working when pedals are turned. The blue gear is fine. The XH18 display illuminates and functions as usual. The motor turns fine when I hold the power selector backwards and put it into walk mode, so it is getting power no problem. But if I try to get any pedal assist by turning them, the motor does not engage at all.

I’m having exactly the same issue. Thing is I have only done 10km before it stopped working.... I have tried to contact pswpower via. AliExpress and I get no reply..... so I now have a lump of metal attached to my bike that does nothing!!!! Be really interested to know how you are getting on resolving the problem.

I am tossing up whether to strip it apart again and look at the torque sensor unit, but a bit reluctant to do that until I have some clue as to what to look for by way of faults with that part.

Well I have done some further testing to see if I can get the assistance to kick in.... what I have discovered is if I jab the pedals I can get the assistance to kick in briefly (say 2-3 secs).... Turning the pedals with increasing torque will not cause assistance to kicking..... the torque sensor seems to be working fine according to the hidden menu screen so, anyone have any opinions on what is wrong??? The supplier has not responded to me regarding the issue. Help!!!!

If it's like other sensors, it'll have both a cadence sensor and a torque sensor. If the torque part is correctly operating, what about the cadence sensor (which counts the pedal rotations)?

amberwolf said:
If it's like other sensors, it'll have both a cadence sensor and a torque sensor. If the torque part is correctly operating, what about the cadence sensor (which counts the pedal rotations)?

I think you are probably correct but there is no option in the hidden menu to review the function of the pedal rotation sensor! Very frustrating! PSWPower have ignored my messages then have eventually asked what error code is it showing...... it’s not showing an error code!!!!!!! AliExpress have insisted I video the problem.... how do I do that? Video myself sweating cobs after going up a steep hill?

If you look around in the main TSDZ2 thread(s) you can probably find info on where this sensor is and how to test it. I have not read any of these links, so they may not apply, but this is every occurence of "cadence" and "sensor" in the biggest TSDZ2 thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=cadence+sensor&t=79788&sf=msgonly

You may also be able to flash your system with the open-source tsdz2 firmware, if you look for the thread by casainho/etc about that, and use it to troubleshoot. but i don't know anything aobut it except that it exists.

also found htis post
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&p=1371294&hilit=cadence+sensor+problem#p1371294
that refers to a wheel speed sensor issue that might relate to your problem.

I don't know if this is related to your issue, but I just installed my motor and quickly learned that if I turned it on while I was pedaling it will screw up the sensors and not give me assist. I had to stop bike, turn it off/on again while my feet were off pedals. Then it was fine. If I hadn't read that it was a known behavior of these motors, I would have been freaking out. Now I just make sure I remember to turn it on before I get on the bike.

Thanks for suggestion, yes I discovered that when I first got mine. That's not the issue, wish is was lol .....

Hi there,

I guess I'm facing the same problem.. Did anyone figure out yet, what the exact problem is? Torque sensor? Cadence sensor?

Thanks in advance!

PandaYeti said:
Hi there,

I guess I'm facing the same problem.. Did anyone figure out yet, what the exact problem is? Torque sensor? Cadence sensor?

Thanks in advance!
Install our OpenSource firmware and then you will see on the display the output values of every sensor, like even the motor hall sensors -- then you can understand what is wrong and repair it. See also the FAQ to learn more about common issues and repair solutions.

casainho said:
PandaYeti said:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!
Install our OpenSource firmware and then you will see on the display the output values of every sensor, like even the motor hall sensors -- then you can understand what is wrong and repair it. See also the FAQ to learn more about common issues and repair solutions.

Turned out that the stock controller firmware seemed to be buggy. With a fully charged battery it just refused to do anything. After discharging it a little, it started to work again. With the open source firmware installed, it works perfectly.
Thanks a lot!

PandaYeti said:
Turned out that the stock controller firmware seemed to be buggy. With a fully charged battery it just refused to do anything. After discharging it a little, it started to work again. With the open source firmware installed, it works perfectly.
Thanks a lot!

Its not the software, its the voltage sensor that miss reads. If on some occasions the battery is over charged and the voltage sensor over reads, the software reads the voltage as being too high and the display works but not the motor. We have one such motor in our group which over reads the voltage by 0.15 and the same owners battery charger is about 0.05 volts to high on shut off. The motor won't work in this situation with a fully charged battery.

The OSF software ignores the top voltage and cures the problem.

Waynemarlow said:
PandaYeti said:
Thanks a lot!

Its not the software, its the voltage sensor that miss reads. If on some occasions the battery is over charged and the voltage sensor over reads, the software reads the voltage as being too high and the display works but not the motor. We have one such motor in our group which over reads the voltage by 0.15 and the same owners battery charger is about 0.05 volts to high on shut off. The motor won't work in this situation with a fully charged battery.

The OSF software ignores the top voltage and cures the problem.

That definitely does make more sense! Thanks for the clarification.

I had this problem
By chance when dismonting the engine, one of the 2 wires that go to the torque sensor went out of a black ? part. I welded it approximately at the same place and no problem anymore for 6 months

Back