Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

motomoto said:
I just wanted to show you guys a couple of ideas. I cut up an old CRF70 rear fender that I had in storage. I am thinking of
making a molded fender that would double sided tape to the stock fender which would add some length. Just clean the
top surface of the stocker and peel and stick. It would have to be bad ass tape but it probably exists.rear fender 1.jpg

Another thing I did was put on the front number plate that goes with the front fender kit that I just started selling. I am
a motocross dude so I am always trying to make it look more like a dirt bike. Sorry.front number plate.jpg
20190908_175821.jpg
20191020_163344.jpg

First post, hi etc, thanks for all the grand information in this huge thread!

Maybe getting a bit ahead of myself here but I have an LBX on the way that I want to eventually upgrade, Nucular 24f on preorder and some other bits etc.

I've come across a used Fox 49 Factory (29er + boost fork) for good money. One of the upgrades I want to try is getting a 21" front wheel built up, wondering if anyone sees an issue with using the 29er fork (I know of examples using a Fox 40 but haven't found any using the 49) and if there might be any issues getting a 21" wheel built with a boost axle?

I come from a moto background so not overly familiar with MTB gear from the last ~10ish years :lol:

iliketurtles said:
I've come across a used Fox 49 Factory (29er + boost fork) for good money. One of the upgrades I want to try is getting a 21" front wheel built up, wondering if anyone sees an issue with using the 29er fork

IMO that front wheel / fork setup will give the Sur-Ron the proportions of a Pennyfarthing. With that change in bike geometry, I doubt you'll be happy with the ride. But if you decide to go there, would love to get your feedback on the experiment.
I've personally gone with a strong 26" MTB wheel and Fox 40's and notice a significant difference from stock setup. Better in some situations but a bit compromised in others.
Note that the MTB world and Moto world measure their wheel sizes differently. Good luck.

JuiceMeUp said:
IMO that front wheel / fork setup will give the Sur-Ron the proportions of a Pennyfarthing. With that change in bike geometry, I doubt you'll be happy with the ride. But if you decide to go there, would love to get your feedback on the experiment.
I've personally gone with a strong 26" MTB wheel and Fox 40's and notice a significant difference from stock setup. Better in some situations but a bit compromised in others.
Note that the MTB world and Moto world measure their wheel sizes differently. Good luck.

I've seen a couple of examples of the 21" front but none so far using the '40, the main draw is a wider choice of tyres over the 19" and as they're moto tyres should be way sturdier. Doesn't look particularly penny-farthingy to me (example below) but that one's not using a '40...

DSCF3147.jpg

Seems like an interesting thing to try anyway, the '49 is interesting as I think it _should_ be able to run 26-29" MTB wheels as well as the 21" as long as they're built with boost hubs...

Maybe if the 21 doesnt work out I can go to 29" for the full farthing look :mrgreen:

LB was initially designed/ proto with 26" front wheel (according to au dealer) but went with both wheels 19" (due to less production costs.. 21" moto rim is similar diameter to 26" mtb .. but the longer fork my slack the steering head angle a bit.. so maybe run larger diameter rear tire such as 19 x 3.25 to compensate and level the bike..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
21" moto rim is similar diameter to 26" mtb .. but the longer fork my slack the steering head angle a bit.. so maybe run larger diameter rear tire such as 19 x 3.25 to compensate and level the bike..

Yeah this was my understanding, I've done a similar change on my 'legacy' bike (Husqvarna 701) which started life as a supermoto with 17" f/r and now has a 21" f and 18" r, but that was without any change to the suspension.

I think what I can do initially is get the Fox 49s and an adapter to convert 20x110 non-boost to fit in the boost forks, run it like that with the stock wheel until I get a Boost + 21" Moto rim built, then get a 220mm floating disc with the new wheel and a new mount for the caliper.

Only had the bike a few months, and I just finished swapping to supermoto tires!

Also wired up turn signals and brake lights are next! thanks everyone for the super informative thread.

any other upgrades i should consider? Waiting in line for my Thermo Nucular controller....

aooldSh.jpg

JsrXdmY.jpg

sens_dep said:
any other upgrades i should consider?
Paint your footpegs black :thumb:

X-Nitro said:
sens_dep said:

Better yet: anodize them! Just takes a DC power supply, brake cleaner, diluted sulfuric acid, baking soda, aluminum wire, bucket and (liquid) Rit Clothes dye works for the most part. Most people probably have most that stuff lying around.

Decent video on the process is here: [youtube]P8oesBi7_II[/youtube]

dirkdiggler said:
Here are pictures of the Lunacycle cane creek headset box. They included another part for the lower that I should have taken a picture of. Just in case you want to by pass Lunacycle. Again this is only the top headset!

Awesome - I'm looking for a Cane Creek headset in the UK so this will be super helpful.

Upper: ZS44/28.6/H8

Open question - anyone know what the head tube lower dimensions are so I can match the correct lower? (rather not take everything off as soon as it arrives just so I can order bits :D)

The lower boss is considered a 55mm pocket, should be 54.9mm
Cane Creek 40 zero stack - ZS55 bottom including adapter (CCR041) for straight steerer, #BAA0737K
canecreek40.jpg

iliketurtles said:
First post, hi etc, thanks for all the grand information in this huge thread!

Maybe getting a bit ahead of myself here but I have an LBX on the way that I want to eventually upgrade, Nucular 24f on preorder and some other bits etc.

I've come across a used Fox 49 Factory (29er + boost fork) for good money. One of the upgrades I want to try is getting a 21" front wheel built up, wondering if anyone sees an issue with using the 29er fork (I know of examples using a Fox 40 but haven't found any using the 49) and if there might be any issues getting a 21" wheel built with a boost axle?

I come from a moto background so not overly familiar with MTB gear from the last ~10ish years :lol:

no problem at all.
you dont need a boost hub. all your non boost 20x110 will fit. all you need is a 5mm disc spacer.

the 49 is a 29" fork. thats it. dont expect it would change your steering angle more like a 27.5" fork.
the truth is, the 27.5" FOX40 is longer than the 49.

and an 21" front wheel is the best you can do. ive come from 19" fat ass hub bikes front over the 26" mtb fronts (works good and very light) but those tiny knobbies of bicycle tires
a: wear down as frock and
b: dont grip at all if you dont cruise around only.

(...try riding circles (quick) on wet meadow with mtb front )

just dont go the 80/100 or 90/90 sized tires. to much weight.

80/90/21 are 48p and pretty light.

mtb bicycle Wheel -> 7.5 lbs
stock 19" surron Wheel -> 10 lbs
metzeler 6days extreme 80/90/21 wheel -> 12.5 lbs

the 90/90/21 or 80/100 puts 1.2kg/2.6lbs on it......and: absolutley not needed.

this 80/90 has exact same diameter as a 26x2.5 mtb wheel.

btw: if you think your front is too high, you can simply push the fork clamps down.

Is there any advantage to registering the light bee as a regular motorcycle vs a moped? Mine has a regular vin so I can go either way

X-Nitro said:
Cane Creek 40 zero stack - ZS55 bottom including adapter (CCR041) for straight steerer, #BAA0737K

Merlin said:
no problem at all.
you dont need a boost hub. all your non boost 20x110 will fit. all you need is a 5mm disc spacer.

the 49 is a 29" fork. thats it. dont expect it would change your steering angle more like a 27.5" fork.

and an 21" front wheel is the best you can do. ive come from 19" fat ass hub bikes front over the 26" mtb fronts (works good and very light) but those tiny knobbies of bicycle tires

btw: if you think your front is too high, you can simply push the fork clamps down.

Thanks both, exactly the information I was looking for 👍

Now just to find someone 'local' who I can convince to build a wheel 🙈 Happy to do most stuff myself but wheels are rather tedious...

Fallback to Josh @ wickedwheelworks if necessary but rather avoid import and shipping costs from the US if I can.

iliketurtles said:
X-Nitro said:

Merlin said:
no problem at all.

Thanks both, exactly the information I was looking for 👍

Now just to find someone 'local' who I can convince to build a wheel 🙈 Happy to do most stuff myself but wheels are rather tedious...

Fallback to Josh @ wickedwheelworks if necessary but rather avoid import and shipping costs from the US if I can.

you can easily build a wheel , tons of videos. then you would want give it to any local bike shop to true and tension which is time consuming and need some good tools to make it right.

That pop-up site is super shady, it looks like some newbs trying to get ebike money.
I bet they got nothing at all in stock - drop shippers for sure.

X-Nitro said:
That pop-up site is super shady, it looks like some newbs trying to get ebike money.
I bet they got nothing at all in stock - drop shippers for sure.

Unless you have first hand knowledge of them ripping people off, I just don't think your assessment is fair.

Doesn't look shady to me - other than being new. How can you say they are certainly drop shippers? Even so, if they get you the part you need in a timely manner, why hold that against them?

Generally drop-shippers charge their customers a premium for access to "their" parts, that they don't actually have at all lol.
You can just go buy the parts for less from a real dealer, but you do as you please.
I'm seeing behind the site, looks dirty to me.

X-Nitro said:
Generally drop-shippers charge their customers a premium for access to "their" parts, that they don't actually have at all lol.

OK, but it's pure speculation on your part if that is what they are actually doing or not, right?

X-Nitro said:
You can just go buy the parts for less from a real dealer, but you do as you please.
I'm seeing behind the site, looks dirty to me.

How are you seeing "behind the site"?

Merlin said:
if you watch the colors looks ERT to me :D

listed under brands ERT and his Litespeed buddy :wink:
I know, like a second-tier ERT distributor should be fun.... :lol:

a google on the contact info of those pages
https://www.google.com/search?q=587+105th+Ave+N+%2321+Royal+Palm+Beach%2C+Florida+33411+United+States
https://www.google.com/search?q=%28561%29+842-8333&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
shows they are also called "horsepower logic"
https://www.horsepowerlogic.com/contact

and a bbb page on that business shows:
https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/west-palm-beach/profile/auto-repair/horse-power-logic-inc-0633-90050839
587 105th Ave. N Unit 21, West Palm Beach, FL 33411
BBB File Opened: 5/14/2012
Years in Business: 11
Business Started: 2/20/2009
Contact Information
Principal
Mr. Anthony Duva
Other Contacts
Mr. Jack A. Cecil, President

3DTOPO said:
X-Nitro said:
sens_dep said:

Better yet: anodize them! Just takes a DC power supply, brake cleaner, diluted sulfuric acid, baking soda, aluminum wire, bucket and (liquid) Rit Clothes dye works for the most part. Most people probably have most that stuff lying around.

Decent video on the process is here: [youtube]P8oesBi7_II[/youtube]

Anodizing seems AWESOME. But i don't have a workshop like you guys! lol.

Any other solutions that will result in cool /durable coatings?

Back