Roman Kostrygin - Sur-Ron 16kw outrunner

rkenders
IMG-20191122-WA0001.jpg

Addy said:
MotorModder said:
The mods banned this user.
I bet no pics will get put back up now.
He posted lots of great threads.

Hi EG. Nice profile on your new account.

Who is EG? Oh wait...that's short for ElectricGod right? I'm not him or her...whichever it is. Also, looking at "EG's" profile, it says Location: 3 OH 3...that's a Colorado area code. I'm from Boise Idaho and been here a good while. So if you are attempting to say I'm this EG guy, then you clearly do not know anything. Nice try, but you are wrong.

Today is my first day with a login on Endless Sphere. I'm not exactly new to Endless Sphere. I've been reading threads here for quite a long time. However, today is literally day one for me to EVER have an account. I didn't quite catch it right, but how arbitrarily cool would it be to have actually started on 20-02-2020 at 2:20?

I have to ask based on the abundance of hate for this EG person...
1. Did you look at his many threads at all?
2. Did you judge him based on your bias instead of his work?
3. What have you done beyond being judgemental?

The guy made dozens of threads on all sorts of subjects that are related to EV's. All I can tell you is go LOOK at all the threads he has made. It's really not that hard to set aside your bias and see that he did a lot of good for the EV community. Since I don't have any bias for or against "EG", it is easy for me to see he was a solid contributor here.

I came across this thread since I do a lot of motor modding for people...hence my moniker. This thread got me curious about its author since he pursued getting this motor from Russia with his own money. I was curious and had to look around a bit and see what else he had done. I have to say, he contributed to the EV community a lot. He or she has been doing a lot of good work for the EV community for a long time. I honestly do not understand the hate and contempt. Maybe petty and egotistical people are jealous of his work? Maybe they feel bad since they will never do what he did? I don't know for sure as I'm just guessing. What I do know is there are a plenty of people that are petty and small minded and tear down anyone that does good since they are not good. Maybe that's what this is about? Again...no idea. Just making observations about human nature.

On topic with this motor thread...I have sufficient info to get in contact with the motors designer...Roman whatever. I think it's worth my time and money to get one. I have started a motor modding thread. Maybe if I get one, I'll post about it there.

MotorModder said:
Addy said:
MotorModder said:
The mods banned this user.
I bet no pics will get put back up now.
He posted lots of great threads.

Hi EG. Nice profile on your new account.

Who is EG? Oh wait...that's short for ElectricGod right? I'm not him or her...whichever it is. Also, looking at "EG's" profile, it says Location: 3 OH 3...that's a Colorado area code. I'm from Boise Idaho and been here a good while. So if you are attempting to say I'm this EG guy, then you clearly do not know anything. Nice try, but you are wrong.

Today is my first day with a login on Endless Sphere. I'm not exactly new to Endless Sphere. I've been reading threads here for quite a long time. However, today is literally day one for me to EVER have an account. I didn't quite catch it right, but how arbitrarily cool would it be to have actually started on 20-02-2020 at 2:20?

I have to ask based on the abundance of hate for this EG person...
1. Did you look at his many threads at all?
2. Did you judge him based on your bias instead of his work?
3. What have you done beyond being judgemental?

The guy made dozens of threads on all sorts of subjects that are related to EV's. All I can tell you is go LOOK at all the threads he has made. It's really not that hard to set aside your bias and see that he did a lot of good for the EV community. Since I don't have any bias for or against "EG", it is easy for me to see he was a solid contributor here.

I came across this thread since I do a lot of motor modding for people...hence my moniker. This thread got me curious about its author since he pursued getting this motor from Russia with his own money. I was curious and had to look around a bit and see what else he had done. I have to say, he contributed to the EV community a lot. He or she has been doing a lot of good work for the EV community for a long time. I honestly do not understand the hate and contempt. Maybe petty and egotistical people are jealous of his work? Maybe they feel bad since they will never do what he did? I don't know for sure as I'm just guessing. What I do know is there are a plenty of people that are petty and small minded and tear down anyone that does good since they are not good. Maybe that's what this is about? Again...no idea. Just making observations about human nature.

On topic with this motor thread...I have sufficient info to get in contact with the motors designer...Roman whatever. I think it's worth my time and money to get one. I have started a motor modding thread. Maybe if I get one, I'll post about it there.

If your not EG then goddamn you're doing a great impression, right down to the 'on topic' comments and arbitrary self praise for a guy that (yes despite posting some interesting motors/builds) got the most basic of things wrong (ie phA x Bat V = something useful + induction motors cant produce max torque at stall), and was completely unable to take the most milk toast of gentle feedback explaining how he could improve his understanding of motors and associated systems. But nah, he din do nuffin.

How'd your rebuild of that motor in your profile pic go anyway mate? Still wondering if those losses are due to that skirt bearing or not... :wink: :wink: :wink:

MotorModder said:
Who is EG? Oh wait...that's short for ElectricGod right? I'm not him or her...whichever it is. Also, looking at "EG's" profile, it says Location: 3 OH 3...that's a Colorado area code. I'm from Boise Idaho and been here a good while.

Of course. There's no way you could be ElectricGod if your signature is different. So your defense of him is not self serving. AT ALL.

--Elon Musk
Fremont, CA

JackFlorey said:
MotorModder said:
Who is EG? Oh wait...that's short for ElectricGod right? I'm not him or her...whichever it is. Also, looking at "EG's" profile, it says Location: 3 OH 3...that's a Colorado area code. I'm from Boise Idaho and been here a good while.

Of course. There's no way you could be ElectricGod if your signature is different. So your defense of him is not self serving. AT ALL.

--Elon Musk
Fremont, CA

Thanks for the laugh Jack! :lol:

John in CR said:
Thanks for the laugh Jack! :lol:

What? Oh yeah I can see how you'd be confused. That was my pal Elon posting above; I live in San Diego so there's no way the same people could have made these two posts.

--Jack Florey
San Diego, CA

:lol:

Absolutely fantastic. I'm glad 'motormodder' is going to follow in EGs footsteps and evaluate this motor. Hopefully he's a little more open to learning as he goes and doesn't take everything overly personal.

Ohbse said:
:lol:

Absolutely fantastic. I'm glad 'motormodder' is going to follow in EGs footsteps and evaluate this motor. Hopefully he's a little more open to learning as he goes and doesn't take everything overly personal.

472915fb259d1e6eff01a0e75cb221ab.jpg

:wink: :p

I didn't say I'd review this motor. I said I could get one based on what is posted here. You too could get one and post your own findings.

There's clearly a lot of dicks on Endless Sphere. There's clearly lots of people that are haters too. All I can say is if the commenters in this thread and others are the welcome wagon...well you have done a fine job at making sure new people are NOT wanting to stay for long. Do you accuse every new member of being ElectricGod? Is there some arbitrary criteria you use for deciding who to accuse?

I don't know "EG" from a fence post beyond looking at his many useful threads. That's ALL I know about him. His work speaks for itself. If that's defending him in some way I guess I'm defending him. I decided to create a login because I thought maybe presenting motor work would be useful to others. But if people keep accusing me of being ElectricGod, well I won't be staying. I have no use for haters and their BS. My life has enough drama without dealing with dicks in a purely voluntary forum!

I do find it ironic that we have one thing in common. Neither of us have much use for haters and dicks. He called them assholes...that fits too.

Well enough of this thread. I 'm really tired of the false accusations and hater BS.

Maybe it is just that everyone wants to be him, or when they cant, be like him.
After all, he was the chosen one, The new messiahs.
We can only hope that he is reborn in another shape soon, so people try to see him in every new poster.
So don´t feel offended when people see him in you, you should feel proud.

Ohbse said:
Hopefully he's a little more open to learning as he goes and doesn't take everything overly personal.

MotorModder said:
There's clearly a lot of dicks on Endless Sphere. There's clearly lots of people that are haters too. All I can say is if the commenters in this thread and others are the welcome wagon...well you have done a fine job at making sure new people are NOT wanting to stay for long. Do you accuse every new member of being ElectricGod? Is there some arbitrary criteria you use for deciding who to accuse?

I don't know "EG" from a fence post beyond looking at his many useful threads. That's ALL I know about him. His work speaks for itself. If that's defending him in some way I guess I'm defending him. I decided to create a login because I thought maybe presenting motor work would be useful to others. But if people keep accusing me of being ElectricGod, well I won't be staying. I have no use for haters and their BS. My life has enough drama without dealing with dicks in a purely voluntary forum!

I do find it ironic that we have one thing in common. Neither of us have much use for haters and dicks. He called them assholes...that fits too.

Well enough of this thread. I 'm really tired of the false accusations and hater BS.

Welp! Guess not. That didn't last long.

Whoever you are - you're welcome here and we value contributions like EG often provided. I don't think anybody took issue with his efforts, just the misleading information he interspersed in there, stated as absolute facts. When corrected, he took it way too personal and went straight to going on the defensive against perceived personal attacks. This of course degenerated into acidic back and forth. If you would like to avoid the same, come with an open mind.

As an example - you arrived in his thread, posting with a very precise mirror of his tone and cadence, echoing the exact same thoughts and language he used. When people lightheartedly made fun of the obvious comparison, you went straight to calling everyone dicks and haters and being hyper defensive. Mate - just have a laugh and talk about the motor.

On that topic, I actually am interested in this as it's now available as a 'bolt on' affair for the Surron. Since I'm now running at the motor limits with plenty more current to spare I am curious how much further I could go in performance terms with a different motor. To make a fair comparison and understand what that might give me, we really need some stats from somebody that has one of these in hand - no load current at a couple of RPM points, phase to phase resistance and ideally inductance though that's a little trickier to measure accurately.

Has anyone else tried this motor? Seems pretty good for $700
I'm looking for 16kw -40kw peak or somewhere around there

ProtoFTW said:

its probably worth the risk to buy imo - the magnet setup is weird - would love to know more about it... i may end up getting one myself at some point once/if the stock surron motor cant live up to my abuse, but I wouldn't wait on me, im slow as to get to these kinds of things. the only issue is their controller - seems powerfull enough but power isn't everything. The nuke controller is worlds better than the stock surron controller, even at the same power, all because the modulation of that power is soooo good, makes the bike much easier to ride. I'd hate to have 30kw on tap with the same control modulation of the stock surron controller, would be a pita. nuke is apparently ill suited to this motor - hopefully that'll change with future updates.

sn0wchyld said:
ProtoFTW said:

its probably worth the risk to buy imo - the magnet setup is weird - would love to know more about it... i may end up getting one myself at some point once/if the stock surron motor cant live up to my abuse, but I wouldn't wait on me, im slow as to get to these kinds of things. the only issue is their controller - seems powerfull enough but power isn't everything. The nuke controller is worlds better than the stock surron controller, even at the same power, all because the modulation of that power is soooo good, makes the bike much easier to ride. I'd hate to have 30kw on tap with the same control modulation of the stock surron controller, would be a pita. nuke is apparently ill suited to this motor - hopefully that'll change with future updates.

Thanks for the info, I don't have a Sur ron, but I was planning on trying this motor for a YZ250 build. I have a nuclear controller on preorder but I know they are like 4 months out. Not sure what I want to do yet lol

Folks, just be careful

"
***Please be Aware***

-I am currently healed up as this happened about a month ago.

I have to mention this so other Surron riders know what could potentially happen if you run Dan Orlov ‘s race motors...

I purchased 3 race motors with Dan. The first one I received and the mount for the motor was way to weak and kept twisting so I had to send the mount back. They sent me a stronger mount with my second motor I paid for. I installed it by bolting the 6 bolts to my Surron frame as usual. I was testing it in my huge grass yard driving back & fourth for around 10 minutes. I was doing my last run and then I was going to take it to the track. The controller was set at 13kw. There was a loud bang sound and I felt lots of pain in my thigh...the motor exploded. I was bleeding everywhere because I had metal shrapnel and magnets inside my leg. It shot all the debris upwards out from the rear shock. Long story short...I drove to the Emergency room and had to have two surgeries. There was a total of 20 pieces in my thigh and I have 4 pieces that are permanently left that my surgeon could not get out. Dan did not want to take any accountability for the motor that blew up when it is supposed to be capable of 3 times the amount of power I was using, even being a sponsored racer. He said that I must have installed it wrong...6 bolts to the frame that never came loose... He also said I must have left a nut inside the motor... I had no bolts, nuts or washers left after I installed it... What I believe happened is that the motor was not perfectly balanced or one of the magnets came unbonded. He would only give me a partial credit for the motor that he had not even shipped me or made... my other “used” motor, he had me ship to John Mac. I no longer want him as a sponsor and will not purchase through him again. He was always been nice to me and than gave me the cold shoulder when this happened... *Please do not send him any hate messages just want to make others aware of what could happen. I will probably have around $80,000 dollars in hospital bills that I will have to pay because of his motor failure. This was about a month ago and I already healed up well but will always have pieces in my leg."
Original post here:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=217632069648215&id=100042042695761

IMG-1585382702346-V.jpg

IMG-1585382699389-V.jpg

That's really bad. F#ck.

It looks like there are large cut-outs in the rotor ? If so, terrible terrible idea. That's some serious negligence right there.

High energy equipment should be engineered properly, exactly for this kind of reason. Home made shit is fine if you're only risking your own balls, but selling this type of grenade to others is literally criminal.
Untitled.jpg

SilentEnduro said:
Dan did not want to take any accountability for the motor that blew up when it is supposed to be capable of 3 times the amount of power I was using,

fwiw, that sort of failure doesn't really have to do with the power, just the rpm of the rotor.

if the rotor isn't designed *and manufactured correctly* for the rpm it is spun at, then at some point beyond it's rated rpm, it will fail, and the rotating parts cease rotating and fly essentially straight out from their present positions with basically the same speed it had been rotating at (minus whatever it took to break apart).

for an inrunner, it's not so bad for the environment around the motor, as the stator/casing will shield at least some of the fragments from going anywhere. (the stator won't like it much though).

but for an outrunner, at high rpm, it's basically a small grenade--if there isn't anything substantial between the rotor and the environment....you get what you experienced.

so....what is the rpm rating of that motor, that it is guaranteed to be able to be spun at without consequence?

if there isn't such a rating, then that supposes there's been no destructive testing to verify it, or engineering calculations to establish a baseline for the max rpm.

and that means...no one will have any idea what rpm it will explode at, until it does. :(

since now we have an idea what it takes to make it explode, what rpm was it running at, when it exploded for you? (even a guesstimate based on your speed and your gearing).

how the bike is used should also be considered in the motor and component strengths and designs.. example: bench test, no environmental stress loads.. street, pot holes and curbs.. off-road, rocks, logs, bumps and jumps (water?).. and MX, where bigger jumps requires max strength design.. (mounting an outrunner between your legs is risky business.. :confused:

Looks like the out runner that exploded has the output shaft on the opposite side of the motor from the motor mount. Correct? If so, IMO that is a major design fail on a chain drive in lighter weight structures. Fine for axial loading such as props and with shaft drives, but with chain loads, a terrible idea if the drive sprocket side is not supported in some way. Your just asking for trouble without testing to see how much its flexing under load.

Back