New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

twiersum said:
Is there any way in the software to turn down/off the extra motor time when you stop pedalling?

I assumed this was how long it took for the “timeout” to occur from it sensing any rotation anymore, but I’d love that option too if feasible. It would make not shifting under load without a gear sensor much easier.

SW102 new firmware release

The previous firmware version on SW102 had a problematic issue where the configurations and other settings were not being saved and I was able, finally, to correct it.

Changelog:
- corrected issue on SW102 display were the configurations and other settings were not being saved
- changed SW102 display enter configuration button, to be different from button to change screen

Download the new version here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/releases

bergerandfries said:
Has anyone noticed a price increase on TSDZ2 kits? Seems like they've gone up $50-$60 USD since December 2019?

There is apparently a “new and improved” 2020 version. Maybe that’s why it’s more expensive?

skestans said:
bergerandfries said:
Has anyone noticed a price increase on TSDZ2 kits? Seems like they've gone up $50-$60 USD since December 2019?

There is apparently a “new and improved” 2020 version. Maybe that’s why it’s more expensive?

Where did you see something about a new 2020 version?

Does anyone know how much of a difference is there between having a 48V battery vs a 52V battery with the TSDZ2 with OSF? Is the increased voltage noticeable for the user?

I noticed when the battery is about 50% the max speed is a bit lower and you have to pedal a bit harder to maintain a 40km/h speed, for example. I got around that by modifying assist number 9 to 5.0x from 3.0. So i use that when the battery is lower and seems to work. The motor power is around 400-500W, it drains the battery a bit faster, but i can maintain higher top speed.

I got chased by some dogs when i had about 45V left in my battery. I barely escaped them, they chased me about 1km. I wasn't getting the top speed i was usually getting when i have more charge, closer to 50V or over 50V.

So i'm just curious if anyone has experince with both 48V and 52V batteries?

tsdz2 New_Vs._Old.jpg
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/tongsheng-tsdz2-36v-neues-design-2020.73872/#post-1379882

falvick said:
tsdz2 New_Vs._Old.jpg
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/tongsheng-tsdz2-36v-neues-design-2020.73872/#post-1379882

Looks like it is smaller. I just bought one so I will not be getting the new version any time soon. Will be nice to wait and see how it does. If it is a lot better and compatible with the open source firmware and old displays I will upgrade when my motor dies and who knows by then maybe another version will be out.

falvick said:
tsdz2 New_Vs._Old.jpg
Looking at that picture, I would say the latest motors I received from PSWPower are already the new motors... and I see no changes at all.

And the picture seems to mistake us, because the "new" motor it is at a smaller scale and gives the impression it is smaller but it is just the same size.

I am pessimist right now... maybe it is just marketing, maybe there was some small changes but maybe to improve the production on their side, price optimization, etc but nothing really relevant for final user like a lighter motor, more power, smaller, etc.

I have installed BBS02 systems on two different recumbent trikes. I use the Bafang Programming software to tune these up, and make backups of the configurations. Works very well.

But I am spreading my wings and am about to install a TSDZ2 system with the open source firmware v19 and the 850c display (modified) on another trike, and I am wondering if there is software to save configurations that I specify using the 850c display? Or like the Bafang programming software, does this exist to set the TSDZ2 config values. And make backup config files, restore older configs, etc?

It seems the discussions I've read are about flashing firmware and not specific to simply setting configuration values.

Thanks in advance

fireflyer451 said:
I have installed BBS02 systems on two different recumbent trikes. I use the Bafang Programming software to tune these up, and make backups of the configurations. Works very well.

But I am spreading my wings and am about to install a TSDZ2 system with the open source firmware v19 and the 850c display (modified) on another trike, and I am wondering if there is software to save configurations that I specify using the 850c display? Or like the Bafang programming software, does this exist to set the TSDZ2 config values. And make backup config files, restore older configs, etc?

It seems the discussions I've read are about flashing firmware and not specific to simply setting configuration values.

Thanks in advance

I am not aware of any software to do that. Maybe if you open the display and can hook up to the swim line then you can dump the whole memory or just the addresses that store the config but you’d have to do this manually and by yourself.

I don't think there are 'new' motors coming. There was a very recent change to the motor housing, and other small changes as well... Also TS says they are not making changes, but did say something about a custom change for a customer order. Anyway, that's the info I have. I could be ill advised, but I don't think so... I am having my associate check as well, who has better communication with TS than me, to double down on this.

P.S. - also, I wouldn't judge too much by the pictures. For example, on the backside of the chain ring houses, they still show a raised ridge, that was taken away 2 motor housing changes ago... over a year ago...

Edit/Update: ok, no new motor/housing changes, but there are some controller changes. Not sure if this is for a single large order or for all new units. Finding the specifics of any hardware and/or software changes to the controller. Will report when I know more

2nd update: They had made some minor changes to the controller for a Euro customer, but this is nothing major for anyone, and not even an improvement.

Basically no new motors or controller etc...

eyebyesickle said:
2nd update: They had made some minor changes to the controller for a Euro customer, but this is nothing major for anyone, and not even an improvement.

Well, no changes is also good news as others look to my ebike and they like it, they say the motor is small and I am comparing with others, I always use less battery than others and I heavier, 105 kgs while others weight like 80 kgs. Today I did 2000 meters acummulated and 70kms using 350Wh and other coleague did stop at the 50kms when his 400Wh battery was empty (he weights 85 kgs and I weight 20kgs more).

Also I see other ebikes with like only 3 or 5 assist levels, where users has not control at all and they don't even know /system don't show the battery power being used!! No human power value, limited to 25km/h and 250W unless the users pay a lot but they don't do because of warranty, etc -- Our OpenSource firmware and TSDZ2 make excelent ebikes!!
Also I am seing some brands with ebikes with batteries of 500W that weights the same as mine, with a 500W battery, so, the weight of the motor + battery seems similar to the ones used on commercial ebikes.

casainho said:
eyebyesickle said:

Well, no changes is also good news as others look to my ebike and they like it, they say the motor is small and I am comparing with others, I always use less battery than others and I heavier, 105 kgs while others weight like 80 kgs. Today I did 2000 meters acummulated and 70kms using 350Wh and other coleague did stop at the 50kms when his 400Wh battery was empty (he weights 85 kgs and I weight 20kgs more).

Also I see other ebikes with like only 3 or 5 assist levels, where users has not control at all and they don't even know /system don't show the battery power being used!! No human power value, limited to 25km/h and 250W unless the users pay a lot but they don't do because of warranty, etc -- Our OpenSource firmware and TSDZ2 make excelent ebikes!!
Also I am seing some brands with ebikes with batteries of 500W that weights the same as mine, with a 500W battery, so, the weight of the motor + battery seems similar to the ones used on commercial ebikes.

No doubt, the firmware really is what makes this motor so great. Thanks for your efforts!

Does anyone have a list if the dished gear rings that are available?

Also waiting to hear if we are getting close to flashing the boot loader on the SW102 without cutting it open.

Hackaday covered ebike build with TSDZ2 and our OpenSource firmware, with title "AN OPEN SOURCE EBIKE": https://hackaday.com/2020/02/23/an-open-source-ebike/

Screenshot-from-2020-02-24-14-01-33.png

Also seems there is a popular thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/9pyhsh/just_completed_my_tsdz2_emtb_build/

Screenshot-from-2020-02-24-13-53-20.png

This bearing dont works. "Jumps" easy.Very low torque capacity.

Be carefull.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32320474129.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3a5e63c0YO4qTp

izeman said:
As my chainline is soooo out of straight I thought of the Alfine SG-S7001-11 (11 gears, 409% from lowest to highest gear, ebike approved). Any comments on this before I buy (the whole set is almost 450€ with gear lever and stuff ...)

Screenshot from 2020-02-24 20-30-05.png

Looks nice. I haven't been paying attention to IGH much lately. It seems many are ebike rated now... A bit stronger internally.

There will be some 50T chain rings for TSDZ with 10mm offset in maybe a month, FYI, but nothing bigger than the 42T 10mm offset for now...

eyebyesickle said:
There will be some 50T chain rings for TSDZ with 10mm offset in maybe a month, FYI, but nothing bigger than the 42T 10mm offset for now...
Sound nice. But it may not solve my second problem that appears after i move the chainline "in". The rear rubber is quite wide and the chain will rub the rubber then. As the TSDZ2 is really nothing more than a pedelec/city bike motor, the IGH should stand up to the task.
On the pro side, there is the straight chain line
On the con side, there is only 92% efficiency, high maintenance & weight
We will see how the chainline performs as is now, and then decide.

izeman said:
As my chainline is soooo out of straight I thought of the Alfine SG-S7001-11 (11 gears, 409% from lowest to highest gear, ebike approved). Any comments on this before I buy (the whole set is almost 450€ with gear lever and stuff ...)

Screenshot from 2020-02-24 20-30-05.png

I would look at this chart first.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline-internal-gear.html
The Shimano shifter casette inside the dropout moves the chainline in more than the Sturmey Archer hubs. Also SA has 3 speed IGH hubs with casette splines so you can move things around that way if needed.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/cs-rk3-silver
The BBSHD guys like the SA 3speed for it's strength, but it may not suit your purpose as much. There is also a Shimano made for E bike 5 speed. Tougher clutches , but be aware that 1st gear is direct and all others are Overdrive. The cogs have 6 drive lugs instead of 3 but come in larger sizes to help with the gearing.
Here is the Sheldon Brown gear calculator. The IGH hubs are in there including the new Shimano E 5 speed.
https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
These rear cogs are not well known in the US, so probaly unknown in Europe. But might be worth the trouble if you go with the SA Dual drive.
https://surlybikes.com/parts/cassette_cog
In my opinion 8 speeds are enough for an Ebike. The fewer gears in the same space the stronger they tend to be. My BBSHD has an 8 speed derailer and a speed range from 0-35mph. But the bottom 2 gears I use with power off. My TSDZ2 has an 8 speed Nexus and a range of 0-25mph. In Shimano I would go with an Alfine 8, or the E5. I used the Nexus because this bike needed the rear roller brake.
If you run narrow cogs that allow a derailer type chain you can get away with more tolerance in the chainline than single speed chains require.

Retrorockit said:
The fewer gears in the same space the stronger they tend to be
Interesting idea.

I've been favoring the 14-speed Rohloff Speedhub, for a never mind speed use case, want max torque at very low wheel rpm

Limited to 130 Nm but that's a lot for these IGH right?

And the 526% ratio is a decent spread compared to these others too right?

Sorry dunno how to calc, but if the top speed in gear 14 is set at say 25mph, will that be low enough to give crazy good torque at say, below 5mph with a heavy cargo/tandem climbing steep hills?

Thinking driven by Lightning Rod's "Big Block" motor. . .

Of course if other IGH with fewer gears but stronger, just as much a ratio spread and **cheaper**, that would be great!

Back