TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

Hi together,

installed today the 850C and the open source firmware 850C_SW102_v0.6.5 to display and motor.

Everything seems to be fine. Thanks to Casainho for this great software.

On my first test ride I mentioned that assist level 9 is much weaker than assist level 8.
The assist levels 1-9 are the default settings.

What went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Mave

Hi Guys,

I am building my electric mountainbike and really hesitate between an TSDZ2 with cfw or a BBS02. I understand TSDZ2 is maybe a bit less reliable, especially blue gear, and less powerful, but the feeling is better, as the power given by motor is really synchronized with the effort on pedals. Any opinion from people who had both ? I never had ebike, so not sure what would be best for me

thanks
cheers

Windows 10 Home Version 1909
This got installed on my laptop last week and now the CP2102 USB to Serial Adapter v10.1.8 appears not to be talking to Windows. When the APT Burn Tools programme tries to talk to the CP2102 device the message “Failure to store settings” appears. The CP2102 is communicating normally with the 850C display. Silicon labs who provide the driver have had problems with Window 10 according to their forum but to an earlier than 1909 build version.

The update to Windows could be a coincidence but the CP2102 has never failed (ha!) before. Anyone else suffering?

Maverix said:
Hi together,

installed today the 850C and the open source firmware 850C_SW102_v0.6.5 to display and motor.

On my first test ride I mentioned that assist level 9 is much weaker than assist level 8.

What went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Mave
Might be similar to what I'm experiencing, top level support and not getting more than 450-500w. I need to test further.

NexusG said:
stancecoke said:
In the german forum is reported, that Tongsheng has completely reengineered the motor in 2020:
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/tongsheng-tsdz2-36v-neues-design-2020.73872/post-1379882

almost changed compare to the old version, shell, chip, accessaries inside, firmware

I'm afraid that the open firmware will not work with this any longer. :-(

regards
stancecoke

This is a good news if the new design is better (tougher components, better protection against water and dust, better heat dissipation, etc...)
The exact model of the chip will be different but I think it will be a STM32 again, so maybe not so much firmware modifications needed ?

Does anyone know when this version will be available?

James Broadhurst said:
Windows 10 Home Version 1909
This got installed on my laptop last week and now the CP2102 USB to Serial Adapter v10.1.8 appears not to be talking to Windows. When the APT Burn Tools programme tries to talk to the CP2102 device the message “Failure to store settings” appears. The CP2102 is communicating normally with the 850C display. Silicon labs who provide the driver have had problems with Window 10 according to their forum but to an earlier than 1909 build version.

The update to Windows could be a coincidence but the CP2102 has never failed (ha!) before. Anyone else suffering?
Flashed successfully on a Surface-Pro with Windows 10 version 1903. Didn’t bother loading the Silicon labs driver; this version of Windows had the same driver, 10.1.8.2466 dated 20 Jun 2019, included.

stancecoke said:
In the german forum is reported, that Tongsheng has completely reengineered the motor in 2020:
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/tongsheng-tsdz2-36v-neues-design-2020.73872/post-1379882

almost changed compare to the old version, shell, chip, accessaries inside, firmware

I'm afraid that the open firmware will not work with this any longer. :-(

regards
stancecoke
The picture is round the wrong way, new is old, bit rubbish really. Having had to put up with a load of chinese crap engineering recently I’d very happily buy a Non-Chinese fix.

Jmauld said:
If I’m looking to buy a tsdz2 motor is there a recommended hardware setup that would allow the most freedom when running the open source software? I’d like to have a 750W, 48V mid-drive that will accommodate a rear coaster brake.

I’ve seen someone state that one of the 36v versions Converted to 48v may be better than buying a 48v motor? I’m also having trouble finding a 48v version with the coaster brake option. Does the coaster brake version have a power limit that’s lower than the standard version?

We used to be able to get the TSDZ2 coaster brake version of the in 48v but TongSheng will no longer sell it in that configuration. We now buy the 36v 350 watt with 8 pin cable and 850C display. The stock version works great with a 36v battery. With OSF you can also use 48v and 52v batteries with the 36v coaster brake motor. However, the only version of the OSF firmware that works with the coaster brake is version 20 which requires a KT-LCD3 display. You can buy the stock version here: https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p25/TSDZ2-Coaster-Brake.html#/ if you want one flashed with OSF v20 with a KT-LCD3 display, send an email to info@electrifybike.com and they will fix you up.

bruno_mac_douglas said:
Hi Guys,

I am building my electric mountainbike and really hesitate between an TSDZ2 with cfw or a BBS02. I understand TSDZ2 is maybe a bit less reliable, especially blue gear, and less powerful, but the feeling is better, as the power given by motor is really synchronized with the effort on pedals. Any opinion from people who had both ? I never had ebike, so not sure what would be best for me

thanks
cheers

If you want an electric MTB (that feels similar to factory ebikes), the TSDZ2 100%. BBS feels like a moped. I had a BBS02 500W and TSDZ2 on two bikes (me and gf's) and the BBS was much more powerful but I sold it as it didn't feel like an ebike to me. If you know how to ride bikes and pedal correctly you should have no issues with reliability. (unless the assembly line had a bad day :lol: )

bruno_mac_douglas said:
Hi Guys,

thanks
cheers

Tsdz2 for sure.
For more than a year I'm using the tsdz2 on my 15years old giant xtc dual suspension and very pleased with it. Feels very natural in riding
Using the 36v version it gives me that extra 100watts to keep with up again with my son and other non eMTB'rs

Rydon said:
Jmauld said:
If I’m looking to buy a tsdz2 motor is there a recommended hardware setup that would allow the most freedom when running the open source software? I’d like to have a 750W, 48V mid-drive that will accommodate a rear coaster brake.

I’ve seen someone state that one of the 36v versions Converted to 48v may be better than buying a 48v motor? I’m also having trouble finding a 48v version with the coaster brake option. Does the coaster brake version have a power limit that’s lower than the standard version?

We used to be able to get the TSDZ2 coaster brake version of the in 48v but TongSheng will no longer sell it in that configuration. We now buy the 36v 350 watt with 8 pin cable and 850C display. The stock version works great with a 36v battery. With OSF you can also use 48v and 52v batteries with the 36v coaster brake motor. However, the only version of the OSF firmware that works with the coaster brake is version 20 which requires a KT-LCD3 display. You can buy the stock version here: https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p25/TSDZ2-Coaster-Brake.html#/ if you want one flashed with OSF v20 with a KT-LCD3 display, send an email to info@electrifybike.com and they will fix you up.
HRMMMM, now I'm questioning what I will be receiving.

Thank you for the info. I wish I would've seen this before I placed an order for this last night:
http://recycles-ebike.com/home/314-coaster-brake-torque-sensor-tongsheng-tsdz2-ebike-kit-conversion-diy-mid-motor-36v-48v-electric-bicycle-motor.html#/61-tax_issue-paid_by_buyer/73-display-color_display/60-lights-rear_light/57-power-48v_750w

btslo said:
bruno_mac_douglas said:
Hi Guys,

thanks
cheers

If you want an electric MTB (that feels similar to factory ebikes), the TSDZ2 100%. BBS feels like a moped. I had a BBS02 500W and TSDZ2 on two bikes (me and gf's) and the BBS was much more powerful but I sold it as it didn't feel like an ebike to me. If you know how to ride bikes and pedal correctly you should have no issues with reliability. (unless the assembly line had a bad day :lol: )

Zelenaar said:
bruno_mac_douglas said:
Hi Guys,

thanks
cheers

Tsdz2 for sure.
For more than a year I'm using the tsdz2 on my 15years old giant xtc dual suspension and very pleased with it. Feels very natural in riding
Using the 36v version it gives me that extra 100watts to keep with up again with my son and other non eMTB'rs

Yes, the torque sensor of TSDZ2 appeals me, especially that I want to do a bit of workout as riding ;) but I also wants to go long distance, do like 100Km rides, do you think the TSDZ2 would handle that well without overheating ?
I read that bafang is much more powerfull but the TSDZ2 have more range with same battery, which seems quite logic, but do you also confirms ?

does new TSDZ2 750W 48v have the metal gear instead of blue gear (read that somewhere)

Maverix said:
Hi together,

What went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Mave

I reduced the value of assist level 9 from 0,267 to 0,250 and now it seems to work well...

bruno_mac_douglas said:
btslo said:
bruno_mac_douglas said:
Hi Guys,

thanks
cheers

Zelenaar said:
bruno_mac_douglas said:
Hi Guys,

thanks
cheers

Tsdz2 for sure.

Yes, the torque sensor of TSDZ2 appeals me, especially that I want to do a bit of workout as riding ;) but I also wants to go long distance, do like 100Km rides, do you think the TSDZ2 would handle that well without overheating ?
I read that bafang is much more powerfull but the TSDZ2 have more range with same battery, which seems quite logic, but do you also confirms ?

does new TSDZ2 750W 48v have the metal gear instead of blue gear (read that somewhere)

Based on my anecdotal experience, the motor doesn't really heat up if you stay below 400-500W motor power which is the case for me unless I'm climbing a hill. On the flat, I put out around 80-150W and the motor another 100-200W. I don't have the temperature sensor installed yet, but it doesn't get very hot to the touch with this usage.

In my opinion, the blue gear is a feature. I'd much rather have the blue gear fail with the nylon chewed through if anything happens and only have to replace that part (25$ straight from China, shipped) than having to replace much more expensive parts in the motor instead. The blue gear is an intentional point of failure and I like it that way. Same as a fuse, cheaper to swap the fuse than whatever it protected which is why you don't replace fuses with a nail (well, that and fire hazard)

Jmauld said:
Rydon said:
Jmauld said:

HRMMMM, now I'm questioning what I will be receiving.

Thank you for the info. I wish I would've seen this before I placed an order for this last night:
http://recycles-ebike.com/home/314-coaster-brake-torque-sensor-tongsheng-tsdz2-ebike-kit-conversion-diy-mid-motor-36v-48v-electric-bicycle-motor.html#/61-tax_issue-paid_by_buyer/73-display-color_display/60-lights-rear_light/57-power-48v_750w

Recycles Ebike is legit. If you order a 48v coaster brake, that's what you get.

FYI you can flash the coaster brake model, JUST the data memory (don't flash program memory or it will mess it up) and you can change the voltage type of stock programming, without OSF.

I have backup files if you need though

skestans said:
In my opinion, the blue gear is a feature. I'd much rather have the blue gear fail with the nylon chewed through if anything happens and only have to replace that part (25$ straight from China, shipped) than having to replace much more expensive parts in the motor instead. The blue gear is an intentional point of failure and I like it that way. Same as a fuse, cheaper to swap the fuse than whatever it protected which is why you don't replace fuses with a nail (well, that and fire hazard)
I see that way also. I replaced maybe 10 blue gears up to now on the 4 ebikes I have and ALWAYS it always failed or after I brake with motor running and I had no brake sensors installed on that time or recently when the chain suddenly blocked the chainring - something would brake on that situations if not the blue gear. I yes, I am also buying the Blue gear for 20 euros on Aliexpress straight to my door, the only thing is that it takes some time and hand dirty to replace it inside the motor :)

I just put this information on the wiki FAQ about the Blue gear issues.

The motor is not exactly very well thermally connected to the housing.
So saying it doesn't warm due to the fact it doesn't feel warm seems a bit short trough the corner.
Next there is the environmental temperature.
The motor might overheat faster in summer when it's 30 deg C compared to 6 deg C in winter time.
And there is air speed. If you climb a hill at 8 km/h cooling will be less efficient compared to riding at 30km/h.

Using the osf can push the motor to it's limits. The temperature sensor is the way to know if you are doing it.

Because 850C and SW102 are good to show custom information and because users have issues at installation of the firmware due to make some mistakes like incorrect wiring of UART TX and RX wires, and because last big changes on the firmware I did now permit more diagnosis, next version will show to users (after a timeout of 10 seconds) the following errors dues to issues caused by the users (850C has longer message errors compared to SW102):

1. 850C: "Wait TSDZ2" / SW102: "Wait TSDZ2" --- Waiting TSDZ2 firmware initialization and first communication

2. 850C: "Error brakes or TX line" / SW102: "e: Brks TX" --- When user is keeping the brakes pressed or when TSDZ2 TX communication is missing, probably due to wrong wiring of the TX wire

3. 850C: "Error RX line" / SW102: "e: RX" --- When TSDZ2 RX communication is missing, probably due to wrong wiring of the RX wire

4. 850C: "TSDZ2 firmware error" / SW102: "e: firmwa" --- When the firmware version installed on TSDZ2 is not the one that the display expects

Picture on an error on SW102 (in this case, if user is keeping brakes pressed, when they are released and TSDZ2 correctly initialize, the display will jump to main screen as usually):

hefest said:
casainho said:
hefest said:
but it looks like temperature cant be seen at all on 0.6.7 sw102.
Or you don't know how to read the instructions on the wiki.
I just went through wiki again and can't find anything that points to the way to set sw102 display so I can see current temperature. Am I reading wrong wiki?

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Features-and-configurations-on-display

PS: found it!

How? I was looking for this too.
I didn't find how to change variables shown in the second screen.
Short up/down arrow press do nothing, and long press turn on light/walk :?
Thanks.

casainho said:
... I yes, I am also buying the Blue gear for 20 euros on Aliexpress straight to my door, the only thing is that it takes some time and hand dirty to replace it inside the motor :)
Do you have a good reliable source on Aliexpress please? There are so many, and it's good to know the good from the bad. Thanks

izeman said:
casainho said:
... I yes, I am also buying the Blue gear for 20 euros on Aliexpress straight to my door, the only thing is that it takes some time and hand dirty to replace it inside the motor :)
Do you have a good reliable source on Aliexpress please? There are so many, and it's good to know the good from the bad. Thanks

I'm not casainho but I know he also buy from here: http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-5n-qyna.
I have bought quite plenty of stuff there and no complaints.

Unfortunately PSWpower have been caught up in the Coronovira problem and is taking a lot of weeks to get stuff out of China at the moment, we ordered 2 x controllers back in January and yet to receive them when normally we get gear within a week or so from them. To be fair they have kept us informed and asked us to be patient which is OK by us.

Check on their delivery dates first if you need one urgently as the blue gears can be sourced outside of China ( Ebay )

feyris said:
hefest said:
casainho said:
hefest said:
but it looks like temperature cant be seen at all on 0.6.7 sw102.
Or you don't know how to read the instructions on the wiki.
I just went through wiki again and can't find anything that points to the way to set sw102 display so I can see current temperature. Am I reading wrong wiki?

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Features-and-configurations-on-display

PS: found it!

How? I was looking for this too.
I didn't find how to change variables shown in the second screen.
Short up/down arrow press do nothing, and long press turn on light/walk :?
Thanks.

UP and DOWN long press to select the variable
ON/OFF long press to leave
UP or DOWN click to choose a new variable
ON/OFF click to jump to next field

Go to the second screen and keep up AND down key together pressed for sometime

Does anyone know where I can get the init packet file for the SW102 firmware update from?

Both nRF Toolbox and nRF Connect (both from the play store) ask for this file now and won't download the .hex file to the SW102 over Bluetooth without it.

HughF said:
Does anyone know where I can get the init packet file for the SW102 firmware update from?

Both nRF Toolbox and nRF Connect (both from the play store) ask for this file now and won't download the .hex file to the SW102 over Bluetooth without it.

Unless I missed some updates the OTA initial install is not yet possible. Can only be done with a wired connection.
Afterwards ota firmware updates (program only!) can be done with the toolbox DFU functionality (.zip package)

Back