New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Nothing beats the Rohloff when it comes to gear spread and Nm it can take.
Nexus Alfine 8 = 300%
Nexus Alfine 11 = 409%
Rohloff E14 = 526%

But also price wise it's unbeatable - just rough prices - you may get them a little cheaper
Nexus Alfine 8 = 140€
Nexus Alfine 11 = 300€
Rohloff E14 = 1.000€

So what's the community verdict on slight play/wobble on a crank shaft? I see people reporting it but no final solution or if it is an issue at all.

john61ct said:
Retrorockit said:
The fewer gears in the same space the stronger they tend to be
Interesting idea.

I've been favoring the 14-speed Rohloff Speedhub, for a never mind speed use case, want max torque at very low wheel rpm

Limited to 130 Nm but that's a lot for these IGH right?

And the 526% ratio is a decent spread compared to these others too right?

Sorry dunno how to calc, but if the top speed in gear 14 is set at say 25mph, will that be low enough to give crazy good torque at say, below 5mph with a heavy cargo/tandem climbing steep hills?

Thinking driven by Lightning Rod's "Big Block" motor. . .

Of course if other IGH with fewer gears but stronger, just as much a ratio spread and **cheaper**, that would be great!
The Rohloff is a large hub. It's rated for use in tandems so is strong as hell. Pretty much unbreakable.
The gear calculator starts with your tire size. In gear units a standard choice is "speed"@90rpm in the units of your choice. The TSDZ2 cuts power at 90rpm so that apllies also.
Then you can choose a few chain rings. Then a few rear cogs in the casette area.
Then you can select an IGH from the list. It will print a chart giving the speed in each possible gear at 90rpm cadence.
The TSDZ2 doesn't really have the power to go beyond 25MPH on most bikes with 2" wide tires.
For off road you need to have gear that's functional under 5mph. For a street bike 1 under 10MPH is enough.
If you choose 2 chainring sizes and 2 rear cogs it will show 4 results for each IGH gear.
If that's too confusing just make and print a chart for each combination. If you use 20MPH for a top speed it's easy to get 2or 3 gears below 10MPH. If you go for 25+MPH then you might have 1 with an 8 speed IGH.
You could chart your existing gearing that works for you first.
The Rohloff is in there.
https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Triketech said:
I've seen a few other TSDZ2's even rode alongside a few of them, one of them being a poster on this forum. Their units were built in 2016, and much quieter than ours. Nor is ours a fluke.

As for the drag its quite minimal when pedaling. Turning the crank by hand you can feel some drag for sure, but at 90 RPM cadence it on the order of a few watts of loss not really much penalty when you can toggle that and more back with a switch.

There is a case seal that imparts the most drag and if it is twisted in assembly drag goes way up. I think that happened to a couple folks, not many. Not hard to correct.

For the money this drive offers a lot; but as they say "you get what you pay for."

Does anyone know about this case seal that can get twisted which is mentioned in the quoted post? I can't find any more info.

Retrorockit said:
The TSDZ2 doesn't really have the power to go beyond 25MPH on most bikes with 2" wide tires.
Even w/o having tried it yet, but 750W peak is hardly enough to even reach 25mph (40km/h). From my other bikes i know it takes around 1kW to go that fast. But don't you think that gearing it a bit higher for those fast downhill passages is a good idea?
Or would you gear it for flat top speed @90rpm?

izeman said:
Retrorockit said:
Even w/o having tried it yet, but 750W peak is hardly enough to even reach 25mph (40km/h).
I go relatively easy to 45 km/h on flat on my city and to 50 km/h on slight descents but with me pedaling and giving about 150W myself. I have a 52V battery and I weight 105 kgs, my ebike with relatively large tires and rear panniers - this is my ebike:

20200202-063904.jpg

I updated the wiki FAQ with the topic of Max speed:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/FAQ#Max_speed

I looked at Casainho's speed article.
He's running 50x11 top gear and 27.5 off road tires. I'm pretty sure he's gearing for downhill.
My BBSHD runs 50x11 26"x2.125 Shwalbe Big Apple Plus grooved slicks. I have flat terrain but windy.This will go 36mph at 100rpm, 33@90. The BBSHD has no RPM cutout.
My TSDZ2 is geared for 25mph top speed @90rpm. Our national speeed limit for E bikes is 28MPH 750W limit. 44x19t with a Nexus8 and 26x2 Big Apple tires. I think I've had it up to that but maybe not for long. I chose that as much for having a low gear below 10MPH for use in the city in parks and sidewalks (pedestrians are rare in many areas here). It's a guest bike and much too small for me even with a long "Stingray" banana saddle,

Gear chart using MPH @ 90 RPM
For 26 X 1.9 / 47-559 / MTB tire with 170 mm cranks
With custom sprocket(s)
With Shimano 8-speed Nexus, Alfine Rear Hub
0.53 (Low) 0.64 0.75 0.85 1.0 1.22 1.42 1.62 (High)
19 8.4
19 10.3
19 11.9
19 13.6
19 16.0
19 19.5
19 22.7
19 25.8
But yes I make my top gear a little long for tail winds, but not downhill.

Here it is in Km/h.
Gear chart using KPH @ 90 RPM
For 26 X 1.9 / 47-559 / MTB tire with 170 mm cranks
With custom sprocket(s)
With Shimano 8-speed Nexus, Alfine Rear Hub
0.53 (Low) 0.64 0.75 0.85 1.0 1.22 1.42 1.62 (High)
19 13.5
19 16.5
19 19.2
19 21.9
19 25.7
19 31.4
19 36.5
19 41.5
If you want to post from the gear calculator just highlight everything then copy and paste.
There's a photo at this link.
https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/main-forum/diy-discussion/99922-suspension-banana-seat-bs-project

famichiki said:
Does anyone know about this case seal that can get twisted..... I can't find any more info.
Isn't it this one?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=4775#p1458794

Elinx said:
Isn't it this one?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=4775#p1458794

Thanks, it might be. I don't have any looseness or play, but perhaps more drag with the motor off than others from what I've been reading.

famichiki said:
Thanks, it might be. .....
It is the side of the axle that has, behind this seal, two bearings in the old version and one bearing in the new version of the axle.
I can imagine that if there is some play, with one bearing on that side there could be more drag by that seal.
With the new one there is room to put eventually a second bearing against the circlips.
source

andrea_104kg said:
feyris said:
ancan said:
I've got a problem with flickering headlight that is connected to the TSDZ2's light connectors. It's OK from start but when voltage drops under 50V the light gets more and more unstable. I assume this is due to crappy voltage regulator on the 6V output. Unfortunately when it gets really bad my lamp keeps turning off as well, which is rather annoying.

Anyone have any ideas on a workaround for this. Put a capacitor on the 6V output? What size of cap? Is there room to put it in the motor?

I also had this issue
After 20mn of ride, the light power off for few seconds, then power on again...
It looks like the 6v regulator is heating too mutch?
My light is 6V 0.5 A
I ordered a 60v to 6v transformer and a SSR to switch it.
this may be usefull?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33036428341.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.367c4c4dzz7JPC
I have that exact one but still didn't install it. Planning on soldering it to wire coming from motor to the display which has the voltage of battery (48V) but not sure if that wire can handle 2-3A.

izeman said:
Retrorockit said:
Even w/o having tried it yet, but 750W peak is hardly enough to even reach 25mph (40km/h). From my other bikes i know it takes around 1kW to go that fast. But don't you think that gearing it a bit higher for those fast downhill passages is a good idea?
Or would you gear it for flat top speed @90rpm?

I have no problem going past 40 km/h with my tsdz2. My peak is 50 km/h on flat without wind.

However, that’s plenty fast. It’s probably even too fast to be safe (people don’t expect bikes to go that fast cruise speed so they tend to miscalculate whether they can cut you off or whether they should wait for you to pass). It’s also fast enough to attract police attention. Where I live ebikes can only assist up to 25 kph. If you want more (up to 45 kph), then you need the bike inspected and have insurance and a license plate because it’s technically not a bicycle anymore. And of course you can’t pass the inspection with a diy bike so you’re driving an uninsured vehicle. So yeah, because you can’t doesn’t mean you should, but the tsdz2 is plenty fast for normal use.

I wish there was some "secret" button combination (that you can define by your own - combination of buttons and brake maybe) to unlock the unlimited mode so the bike is legal for everyone else. Also much better if you lend your bike to someone else and don't want them to speed around.

Elinx said:
izeman said:
I wish there was some "secret" button combination .....so the bike is legal for everyone else.
with OSF this is called "street mode" :)
I know of street mode. But i can be enabled and disable easily by accessing the menu. To make a bike "really street legal" (at least in EU) this must not be allowed. So you must remove this from menu somehow. Or safe it with some secret code that can't be found out easily.

Elinx said:
izeman said:
I wish there was some "secret" button combination .....so the bike is legal for everyone else.
with OSF this is called "street mode" :)

Where is the option though? I can't find it on the 850C. There is a menu item to set the max assist speed, but nowhere could I find a toggle for 25km/h <-> whatever max you defined.

izeman said:
....To make a bike "really street legal" (at least in EU) this must not be allowed. ..... safe it with some secret code that can't be found out easily.
With default displays, that is already the case if you startup into streetmode by default.
This because the default display's don't have a readable menu structure as kt-lcd3.
skestans said:
..Where is the option though? I can't find it on the 850C. ......
The latest versions for 850C/SW102

In the wiki - Features and Configurations:
"Note that the street mode is not implemented yet."

So I snapped the the bolt that held the anchor onto the chainstay, thankfully I was able to remove the part in the anchor with a pair of vice grips. Am I better off replacing this with a black "high tensile" bolt? Are they much stronger?

Calibration of Torque Sensor on a Recumbent Trike?

Good morning, is there a recommended method to do this calibration on a recumbent trike? I've read about standing on the pedals and applying different weights but..... I'm sitting down (a la lounge chair-like) and pressing forward/horizontally on the pedals. Advise is appreciated, thanks in advance.

casainho said:
I go relatively easy to 45 km/h on flat on my city and to 50 km/h on slight descents but with me pedaling and giving about 150W myself. I have a 52V battery and I weight 105 kgs, my ebike with relatively large tires and rear panniers - this is my ebike:

[/quote]

Hello Casainho, I love the work you do and contribute to the ebike community in terms of open source firmware. :thumb:

But what intrigues me when seeing your bike is the seat. How does it work for you without a "nose" on it? Does it give enough support? I've been looking at a saddle like that but am not convinced it will be any good compared to a wide bicycle seat with a "nose".

[ATTACH type="full" alt="20200202-063904.jpg"]267824._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Is the speed sensor needed? I have a Garmin GPS and my Phone showing me speed. Does the TSDZ2 require the speed sensor? If it does not what am I loosing without having it? Does the display show you a distance to empty or anything like that? Can I comfigure it to show something else in place of the speed on the display?

Brlowe said:
Is the speed sensor needed? I have a Garmin GPS and my Phone showing me speed. Does the TSDZ2 require the speed sensor? If it does not what am I loosing without having it? Does the display show you a distance to empty or anything like that? Can I comfigure it to show something else in place of the speed on the display?

It does need the speed yes.

casainho said:
izeman said:
Retrorockit said:
Even w/o having tried it yet, but 750W peak is hardly enough to even reach 25mph (40km/h).

20200202-063904.jpg

I updated the wiki FAQ with the topic of Max speed:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/FAQ#Max_speed

The problem is not the speed ... I reach 40kmh quite easily, but you need to force the engine to 750w and after just 2 km you have to stop, unless you want to burn everything .... :-( The only limitation of this engine is that peak power cannot be maintained for long

Back