My1020 / Kunray / YaLU 1000 - 2000W motor ?

Back to top for this one. I pulled apart a motor and measured lams...Not good at 0.5mm, sadly. I was spinning it today at no load and noticed some significant heating despite only 4A no load at 7krpm. I did not measure the rate of heating at, say, the 4600rpm it is rated for. I had intended to reterminate in delta, but this may keep me from it and push me onto finding a new motor. Oh well.

I'm converting 4 go-karts with MY1020 motors. I have 2 2000w versions and a new 3000w version running 72v and a 25-50 amp controller that was sold with the motor. I'm going to use 60v batteries for the others. The performance is a lot better than I expected from such a cheap set up, so I'm going to see how much I can push them. I was just going to use the karts as drift-karts, but now I'm thinking about going to the track. Go-kart races are normally very short so they don't have to run too long - 4 or 5 minutes at a time. With a 15T drive sprocket and 66T rear sprocket it gets up to 65 km/h pretty quickly with only the cheap 25-50 amp controller. With a 20T drive sprocket (on the way) it should get close to 90 km/h. I'm going to try their 80 amp controller as that is also dirt cheap. I've got an SVMC72150 spare at the moment so I'm going to try that. I don't want to over rev the motor, I would rather use gearing to reach the desired top speed and then throw amps at it. I'm drilling bigger holes in the end plates, and I'd like to try some cooling fins.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 5,084
I've wired up my Sabvoton SVMC72150 no problem to one of my karts. I've only done a quick test but the motor temp hasn't gone over 50c while running. It goes up to about 60c after stopping which suggests the motor cools quite effectively while I'm doing 65 km/h at full throttle. I was putting 300 phase amps through it at 72v which was a bit much for my battery but the motor seemed fine. And I've just been invited to take a kart to a proper Kart track early next month so I'll be able to do some real testing.

Hey, PKGB, your kart conversion is really interesting, please keep us updated with your project, and photos/videos if you can

I'm making my Arrow AX6 #16 my track kart, with the Sabvoton SVMC72150. I'm getting some custom sprockets made to increase top speed. Blasting up and down the street isn't stressing the motor at all. Only 3 weeks till I can do some track testing!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 4,874
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 4,873
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 4,873
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 4,874
That's an EM3EV battery, 20S10P of 30Q cells. I'm about to receive a 60v 20ah battery from UPP that I'm going to try.

What is the highest wattage MY Unite motor available?

Here is a "60V 2000W"
https://electricscooterparts.com/motors60volt.html
Weight 10 lbs

I've managed to cook one of the motors. I had been using a 15T drive sprocket as that is the largest available for the MY1020. I got a custom 25T sprocket made to try and improve top speed. I got a slight increase in top speed but it didn't take long before the motor temp got over 80c and started smoking and smelling really bad. The motor still works fine, it just doesn't go so fast anymore.

So I'm going to take Kart #8 to Taumarunui Go Kart Track this weekend with the Vintage Kart Club. I've put my 72v battery into this kart with the 80amp controller, and the performance is awesome. 15T drive sprocket and 68T rear sprocket. Acceleration is fantastic all the way through the range with a top speed of 75 km/h. Can't wait for this weekend!

PKGB said:
I've managed to cook one of the motors. I had been using a 15T drive sprocket as that is the largest available for the MY1020. I got a custom 25T sprocket made to try and improve top speed. I got a slight increase in top speed but it didn't take long before the motor temp got over 80c and started smoking and smelling really bad. The motor still works fine, it just doesn't go so fast anymore.

I may have been using the front nose cone on the kart during that test, and I've just realised how much that would deflect air around the kart instead of having a clear run to the motor. The nose cone is the same height as the motor so that could have a big effect on cooling. I need a wind tunnel...

Had a fantastic day at Taumarunui Go Kart Track. My kart was about 3 or 4 seconds a lap slower than the 2-stroke karts, but for such a cheap system it was a lot closer than I expected.

I had to keep an eye on the motor temperature as it would keep climbing, although I could get quite a few laps in on each run. I kept the motor temp below 70c on each run, and the motor seems fine. I had previously got the motor on #16 up to 85c and it let out lots of its magic smoke (and smell), so for now I'll stick to 70c as an upper limit. I will now do some mods to improve cooling.

My 72v 30ah battery lasted well, plenty long enough to do enough laps for a race day.

As with most of my projects I started with modest intentions to have a bit of fun, and now I'm like - I NEED MORE POWER! Challenge accepted.

https://www.facebook.com/raetihicho...8EZaem_QaF0fCFlhckH7NV6ZAI9po7AY7JvKAdsSoHH4Q

Rare, medium or well done?

The motor on the left is the one that heated up to 85c and smoked and stank. It still works but has lost a lot of power. The middle motor is the one I used at the kart track at the weekend, with a max temp of 72c. It has very minor discolouration and performance seems unaffected. The motor on the right is unused.

Attachments

• burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 4,301
Good news about the cooked motor - it’s not cooked! I’ve had the motor checked out by the very helpful team at 'Recon Electrical and Motor Rewinders' and it’s electrically fine. Here’s what they had to say.

“Electrically it seems fine. Insulation resistance test and surge tests came back ok. Good sine waves. Magnets are fine. Bad news is the end housings seem a little sloppy which with the magnets being as strong as they are could cause poling which makes it have less power and will draw more current.”

I know now that I had the chain too tight on that motor and sprocket alignment wasn’t perfect, so that might have caused the sloppiness and a drop in performance. But the important thing is that the temperature wasn’t a problem for the motor, and neither were the 120 amps, at least from an electrical point of view.

Fp to you fella looks a good laugh,
I done a stand up scooter with one of these and got it to 48mph close on 8krpm with 4.4kw batt.

8krpm is the limit on these any faster and the core gets hot even under no load,

The high temps on these tend to effect the rotor magnets strength for example if the magnets reach 105c I beleive they will start to realign inside weakening the field.

So if the case temp is 85c stop your getting close to the limits specially internally will be slightly warmer.

You got to get 2 off them one either side and then show them 2strokes a decent launch with double the torque, get your custom gears to give you a bit of freedom to give you accel on small tracks and bit more top speed on longer ones.

Ianhill said:
You got to get 2 off them one either side and then show them 2strokes a decent launch with double the torque, get your custom gears to give you a bit of freedom to give you accel on small tracks and bit more top speed on longer ones.

I just happen to have a twin engine kart looking for 2 new motors...

[youtube]ZSXAEPdABtU[/youtube]

Bit of inspiration for you, dual motor setup both on a cooling loop with a rad to lose heat not sure what your pushing through yours from the battery but id say there's at least 10kw up for grabs by there.

Best of luck to you I really like this project some good fun to be had done right, it will be quite competitive not much heavier than it is now really few kg.

I'm going to take advantage of the constant high speed air available to a go-kart with heat-sinks and ventilation holes. I went back to the kart track where I had tested the kart with the 80 amp controller, and cooling was greatly improved. I was able to do a 20 lap stint flat out, which takes 10 minutes, and the motor only got up to 60c. That's with a 72v battery at 80 amps, which should peak at about 6,000 watts. The heat sinks don't cover the entire motor, so I'm going to fill the gap between the motor and the aluminium mount plate, which will allow heat from the bottom of the motor to dissipate through the entire engine mount.

Attachments

• hedgehog.jpg
    hedgehog.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 3,905
  • holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,901
Good effort if your getting the results your after then no need to take it any further.

I imagine if your getting 6kw at 72v on your set up which is an impressive figure may u say you got an extra kilowatt through yours, I was doing a simular 20 mins full speed run and it failed after say 100miles or so but it was the hall sensor from temps, on the scooters the motor is enclosed so has poor air flow and no stand like yours so didn't have that thermal connection either.

Look forward to seeing your progress on that dual motor kart best of luck.

I've received a new 3000w motor and the big brother 100 amp controller, which only costs slightly more than the 50 & 80 amp versions. I'm fitting heat sinks to the motor and installing this set-up on kart #16. I'll then take the kart to the track and see if the temperature stays under control. It will be very interesting to compare lap times and heat build-up versus the 80 amp version. If the 100 amp set-up works out ok, I'd like to put 2 of them on my twin engine kart. :D

PKGB said:
I've received a new 3000w motor and the big brother 100 amp controller, which only costs slightly more than the 50 & 80 amp versions. I'm fitting heat sinks to the motor and installing this set-up on kart #16. I'll then take the kart to the track and see if the temperature stays under control. It will be very interesting to compare lap times and heat build-up versus the 80 amp version. If the 100 amp set-up works out ok, I'd like to put 2 of them on my twin engine kart. :D

dual 100A controllers and dual 3000W motors, that would give a real amount of power, and even make it able to go faster with some people with more weight like me, i will be waiting your tests :bigthumb:

qwerkus said:
Does anyone own one of those MY1020 / Kunray / Yalu or whatever motor they are called:

motor.png

Super cheap and readily available. They seem to come in 2 versions: a 124mm 1000W and a 134mm 2000W. Both 107mm diameter. Weight is somewhere between 3.5 and 4kg. A version with a 4-bolts foot is also available.

dimension.png

My question is: are they usable ? Seem like an inrunner, and would love to seem more of the internals, if anyone has pics. Speed probably a bit high for bike use - better for karts or other EVs with small wheels. Maybe a WYE / Delta hack to make them more suitable for ebike use. Or plain rewind.

Let me tell you what man. The 2000w pushes me 50+ mph on a custom chopper scooter that weighs atleast 200 lbs without counting my 159 pound body riding it. So this 2000w little motor on 60v is a beast. Scares the hell out of me it has so much power. Especially during custom install when alignment of sprockets sends chain flapping around a wheel spinning 150 mph! ( learning days) it’s tough as hell too.

Back