Sur-Ron - Belt upgrade KIT

Allex said:
Did you ever drop your bike or lean it hard on something touching with the rear pulley?
Was the package damaged in any way upon receive?
Try to put the pulley on a glass surface a check if it is really crooked.
no no no and yes i check this on a glass surface, really crooked Allex.
the Luna cycle kit also seems to have similar problems. The rear puly is not flat on a glass plate and this is the main reason the belt is going from left to right and hit the side of the puley when driving under load....bweepp :mrgreen:

but still much quieter than a chain, the sounds of the belt get used to it after a while :thumb:

Allex said:
So this is what kept me from sending kits to you guys.
Finally I have the front pulleys on my hands. Will start shipping to all of you now. Most of you will probably have the package next week
Enjoy!

Hi Allex.

I read that people experience some noise problems from the belt. I have some questions about the front hub.

How is this made? Material, machine proces from one piece or press fit from 2 parts?

Is it possible too fit the hub both ways or is there a turn direction?

Hey!
New kits in stock now. The front pulley can only be installed in one direction.
Pulley.jpg

This is what the main difference between our kit and others:
The 52T eqv. gear ratio makes the bike a bit more fun. The bike pulls noticeably harder from start, it is easier to do wheelies without losing significantly in top speed(about 5km/h).
This kit was made with performance in mind but it is also more expensive because of the materials and the way it was being made

* Others have a two-piece front pulley in alu 6-series with questionable CNC machining of the tooth profile two-part design may not make it a perfect fit either.
Our front pulley is made of a solid block stainless steel and gear hobbed (not milled) according to the gates tooth profile. The metal is more durable compared to Alu and also less noisy.
* Front pulleys from others are smaller in size, which means that the belt cannot be subjected to the same torque as ours.
Our solution will stress the belt a lot less in case of any hot rodding when it comes to motor/controller
Due to a larger pulley, the belt does not eat as much on the teeth as on the smaller pulleys (more turns on a smaller disc = more wear on the drive line) so longer life time.
* Rear pulleys from others are made of Alu 6 series
Ours are made in 7 series which is classified as "aerospace-grade"
* Others plate to strengthen the swingarm is made of thin metal sheet.
Ours are made of a stiff aluminum block, same thickness as the standard pedal plate on the sur-ron.

That sprocket looks great. Steel will be much more durable than aluminum.

I did an experiment on mine with the spokes. I noticed the noise was only loud at very specific speeds indicating some part on the bike was resonating. I banged around with a screwdriver handle and found the spokes were the loudest thing. I suspect that at the right speed, the spokes start ringing and amplify the noise. I tried placing zip ties at the intersections of the spokes and this greatly dampens the ringing when you bang the spokes. If the wheel was built with crossed spokes I think it would be about the same. While I can still hear whining at certain speeds, I'm pretty sure it's mostly from the primary belt. It's definitely quieter now. For those experiencing noise issues, this might be worth a try.

Img_1357[1].jpg

graphite powder has until now been the best solution for me, less belt / pulley noises

give this a try i would say :thumb:

fechter said:
I tried placing zip ties at the intersections of the spokes and this greatly dampens the ringing when you bang the spokes. If the wheel was built with crossed spokes I think it would be about the same. While I can still hear whining at certain speeds, I'm pretty sure it's mostly from the primary belt. It's definitely quieter now. For those experiencing noise issues, this might be worth a try.

Whoever did lace this wheel has done it wrong. Is it original from Surron?
At the last intersection each spoke should have been moved from outside to the inside.

yeah it gets kinda funny how defensive some of the fan boiz get on the fb surron owners forum about the crap machine built wheels (easier and cheaper for the machine to build than spoke weaving)..

It wouldn't be too hard to re-lace the spokes properly but it would take some time. I will probably do it at some point.

I’d like a pedal kit that is compatible with the belt drive. Anyone have any thoughts on feasibility?

still got kits for sale?
also has anyone seen guards or similar used to protect belts form stones/mud?

Great belt kit. :bigthumb:
I first bought luna belt kit, but never installed it, ratio is not as I wanted.

Can you please advise if belt kit is good for regen braking? I am running kelly7230 and 77v battery, peak power around 15kW.

With too much regen, there is the possibility of the belt ratcheting (slipping over the teeth). As long as you don't exceed the level where this happens, it should be no problem.

fechter said:
With too much regen, there is the possibility of the belt ratcheting (slipping over the teeth). As long as you don't exceed the level where this happens, it should be no problem.
Regen power shall not exceed acceleration power so as the maximum allowable charging current is always lower than discharge. then I assume yes.
luna for their =44t belt drive were claiming safe power up to 20kW. taking in consideration that this belt kit is higher quality and simply larger pulley diameters I would expect primary belt to be ratcheting, correct me if I am wrong.

17Kw my first belt broken :D already instal a new belt andput the max power down to 12kw.
i have regen 140A almast lock the rear...belt can handle this easy :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

What belt did you destroy? The stock surron one or the Gates Carbon?

Yeah you can use the regen with this kit no prob, ykrop4ik! And just as fechter mentioned as well.

Joachim said:
17Kw my first belt broken :D already instal a new belt andput the max power down to 12kw.
i have regen 140A almast lock the rear...belt can handle this easy :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Funny!
How did you solve the squeaking sound problem?

Are there smaller rear and/or larger front gears/sprockets available for the 8mm belt that fit the Sur Ron?

Top speed is my objective :D .

Ran an 8mm belt on a kart I raced at Daytona...you do need to engage more teeth than with a chain to keep from "stripping" the belt but zero maintenance and mess once you get everything set up correctly is awesome.

Thanks

maybe of interest ..
"Belt kit for surron . Ready to sell ) 370€
It’s not like Luna kit . They have like 42 sprocket, we have 52 .
This kit was made with performance in mind but it is also more expensive because of the materials and the way it was being made

* Others have a two-piece front pulley in alu 6-series with questionable CNC machining of the tooth profile two-part design may not make it a perfect fit either.
Our front pulley is made of a solid block stainless steel and gear hobbed (not milled) according to the gates tooth profile. The metal is more durable compared to Alu and also less noisy.
* Front pulleys from others are smaller in size, which means that the belt cannot be subjected to the same torque as ours.
Our solution will stress the belt a lot less in case of any hot rodding when it comes to motor/controller
Due to a larger pulley, the belt does not eat as much on the teeth as on the smaller pulleys (more turns on a smaller disc = more wear on the drive line) so longer life time.
* Rear pulleys from others are made of Alu 6 series
Ours are made in 7 series which is classified as "aerospace-grade"
* Others plate to strengthen the swingarm is made of thin metal sheet.
Ours are made of a stiff aluminum block, same thickness as the standard pedal plate on the sur-ron..."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/490882138281934/permalink/505648190138662/

Bullfrog said:
Are there smaller rear and/or larger front gears/sprockets available for the 8mm belt that fit the Sur Ron?

Top speed is my objective :D .

Ran an 8mm belt on a kart I raced at Daytona...you do need to engage more teeth than with a chain to keep from "stripping" the belt but zero maintenance and mess once you get everything set up correctly is awesome.

Thanks

Yeah need to make a 48t or 42t eqv! Not sure which one is better, there not a lot of folks(looks like it) that drives around with 17" super moto setup

Allex said:
Hey!
New kits in stock now. The front pulley can only be installed in one direction.
Pulley.jpg

Is the pulley symmetric or is there a slight variance with one side? (ie: does the lettering need to face out)

Hey Allex! Just purchased one! Super excited.

Just a few questions:

I’ll be testing this up against Luna’s belt drive... I should expect more torque out of yours, right?

I heard the gear ratio of this kit is 1/8.5, sound correct?

Where can I buy extra belts? What’s the length on them? And where do I get that awesome looking red belt!? :twisted:

Back