Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

I can't tell if your front fender uses my bracket or not. You are pretty creative so you probably figured something out for yourself.

I made my own bracket, saw yours right after I got it done. I changed the rear to the Pirelli Scorpion and added a rim lock. I noticed it says "front tire" and has a direction arrow. I mounted it without looking and the arrow is now correct for a rear tire. Is it wrong? Some knobs are dished in what might be the better side for front braking. Probably doesn't matter much? It does hook up much better than stock in the mud.

It would be nice if we could stick a 4 inch wide tire on the rear but the chain says "no can do"

Driift said:
Also I run the Michelin Starcross 5 Mediums they fit perfectly. These tires are known to run narrow on mx bikes and are a lot lighter due to the thinner sidewalls.

What size are you running in the rear? How quickly do these tires wear on the rear?

I am adding an extra 2S battery pack to my sur-ron just to see if it makes it any faster. I have heard you can do it without
blowing the stock controller. My question to you smart battery pack guys is which side should I put the 2S pack on, the red
wire or the black wire or doesn't it matter? I know it somehow goes through the battery BMS but if I put it on one side it is pushing electrons into the Sur-ron battery and the other side it is adding to pushing the electrons into the controller. I just don't feel like toasting the BMS because I put the batteries on the wrong leg.2s picture.jpg2s battery.jpg

I’d put them in series with the positive side. It might not make any difference but the circuit opens on the negative side of the BMS when it trips.

My question is what is the code 12 setting (overvolt) in the stock bin file, are there alternate files (higher max volts) already, and how hard is it to hex edit & flash OE controllers?

X-Nitro said:
My question is what is the code 12 setting (overvolt) in the stock bin file, are there alternate files (higher max volts) already, and how hard is it to hex edit & flash OE controllers?

I don't think anybody has done that. The connector is easily accessible if you remove the controller. It's under a plastic cover that's glued to the case. In order to re-flash anything, I think you would need the code. Most microcontrollers have features that prevent you from reading the code.

The hardware is limited to 80v. The voltage regulator and the caps are 80v rated. I would guess you will have an overvoltage error somewhat below 80v. You may be able to cheat this by sending a lower voltage to the key line.

Fetcher wrote;

I’d put them in series with the positive side. It might not make any difference but the circuit opens on the negative side of the BMS when it trips.

That is what I will do unless I hear a strong statement otherwise. It should add some pep.

Hey there I’ve been digging deep into research about these bikes and am thinking about buying one. Just have a couple questions if anyone is willing :). Is it worth it to commute on the weekdays and enjoy this bike off-road on the weekends? Is the super moto 17” wheel kit worth the 350$? How long does it actually last riding off-road? I also heard there is an EP mode on the bike, does this permit the motor to only go a maximum of 25mph?? Would I be able to get away with tagging along with dirtbikes it will I slow them down? Thanks for all of your support and I hope one day I can take part in assisting others with their questions about this bike. My goal is to have a set of off-road and street wheels. And just swap the wheels when I do one of the other. I also want to install the pedal kit and use it on the roads here In California. I feel like I can get away with it on ep mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the bike is very capable out of the box but will have limited range at higher speeds.. you will need a refuel (batt swap/charge) to match petrol bike range on the trails or commute.. surron has been hair scrambler competitive if it can finish, check youtube for that .. there are a few controller and battery upgrade options to increase the speed and range but that's more $$ .. the pedal kit is complete useless junk so forget about that.. some ppl got their surron street legal registered (lied on form;) while others ordered the homologated version china direct since it's not yet usa distributed..

Pupkorn said:
Hey there I’ve been digging deep into research about these bikes and am thinking about buying one. Just have a couple questions if anyone is willing :). Is it worth it to commute on the weekdays and enjoy this bike off-road on the weekends? Is the super moto 17” wheel kit worth the 350$? How long does it actually last riding off-road? I also heard there is an EP mode on the bike, does this permit the motor to only go a maximum of 25mph?? Would I be able to get away with tagging along with dirtbikes it will I slow them down? Thanks for all of your support and I hope one day I can take part in assisting others with their questions about this bike. My goal is to have a set of off-road and street wheels. And just swap the wheels when I do one of the other. I also want to install the pedal kit and use it on the roads here In California. I feel like I can get away with it on ep mode.

I've had mine since August 2018, and I think the supermoto wheelset is worth it. I do ride mine on pavement almost 5 days a week though. You're lucky to be in CA. It's very easy to get a moped plate here.

skyungjae said:

I've had mine since August 2018, and I think the supermoto wheelset is worth it. I do ride mine on pavement almost 5 days a week though. You're lucky to be in CA. It's very easy to get a moped plate here.

I heard it just recently got alot harder to register them as mopeds here in California. They cracked down on them but I haven’t gotten alot of info cus it was recent. Only if I heard about them earlier... :(

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
the bike is very capable out of the box but will have limited range at higher speeds.. you will need a refuel (batt swap/charge) to match petrol bike range on the trails or commute.. surron has been hair scrambler competitive if it can finish, check youtube for that .. there are a few controller and battery upgrade options to increase the speed and range but that's more $$ .. the pedal kit is complete useless junk so forget about that.. some ppl got their surron street legal registered (lied on form;) while others ordered the homologated version china direct since it's not yet usa distributed..
Did you hear anyone who recently got it Street legal? At least in California? And did the lot because technically you can’t go over 30 on a moped???

most recently I have only seen posts about DMV rejection letters.. some early adopters got theirs registered only by lie or luck.. so depending on your local DMV and enforcement, it could be an expensive failed experiment.. falsified documents are probably not a great idea either.. and it could be hard to get insurance against accident liability (if required) without a VIN number..

Pupkorn said:
efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
Did you hear anyone who recently got it Street legal? At least in California? And did the lot because technically you can’t go over 30 on a moped???

People were getting denied for various reasons before I even submitted my request for a plate. I was told that you can't place any spaces on the form. I had no issues getting my plate. They did write the manufacturer and model differently than how I had typed it.

In ECO mode the bike is compliant with the laws in terms of all the boxes you need to check. You can disconnect the switch and permanently enable ECO mode for the purpose of registering as a motorized bicycle. The bike will not break 30mph on flat ground and the power is cut in half at supposedly 3000W (4HP), but I'm sure it's probably closer to 2000W. However, if a police officer does catch you going faster than 30, they can impound your bike.

There are other requirements a lot of people overlook:

CVC § 24015
(a) Motorized bicycles shall comply with those federal motor vehicle safety standards established pursuant to Chapter 301 (commencing with Section 30101) of Part A of Subtitle VI of Title 49 of the United States Code that apply to a motor-driven cycle, as that term is defined in regulations adopted pursuant to those provisions.  These standards include, but are not limited to, provisions requiring a headlamp, taillamp, stoplamp, side and rear reflex reflectors, and adequate brakes.

(b) In addition to equipment required in subdivision (a), all motorized bicycles operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a mirror as required in subdivision (a) of Section 26709 , a horn as required in Section 27000 , and an adequate muffler as required in subdivision (a) of Section 27150 .

(c) Except as provided in subdivisions (a) and (b), none of the provisions of this chapter relating to motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, as defined in this code, shall apply to a motorized bicycle.

At the very minimum, the Sur Ron will need a mirror and a brake light.

I've heard legends of plated ebikes being cited for not having a muffler by ________ cops. :lol:

Does anyone know what cross the stock rear wheel is laced in?

Like is it 2 cross or 3 cross?

Thanks

Hey guys, I'm trying to measure this hub for spoke size.

Does anyone know where I take the flange to lock nut measurements?

The issue I am having is where are the ends of the hub? Do I just measure to the flat part at the end or do I need to put the axle through the hub and measure there?

The other issue, is the Sur-Ron wheel completely centered in the dropouts because I'm measuring that it is offset to the left side a little bit in the dropouts. So the rim doesn't actually sit centered in the dropouts. I'm not sure if the swing arm is offset a little to center the wheel.

Here are some pictures of the hub, does anyone know where to measure the hub at? Do I need to move the wheel from my bike and get the axle out to measure properly?

Here are some pictures so you can see the hub and the hub attached to the bike with what looks to be an axle that spaces it inside the dropouts.

If someone can measure to see if there rim is centered in their dropouts because I"m getting it offset to the left. If the rim is offset in the dropouts, is the swing arm offset? Should I then consider to dish the rim so that it sits centered in dropouts?

sYl311r.jpg

5BhsWof.jpg

Uo10XtD.jpg

QWRHPya.jpg

oBrpgif.jpg

Offroader said:
Does anyone know what cross the stock rear wheel is laced in?

Like is it 2 cross or 3 cross?

Thanks
If you are smart you will be lacing the wheel 3-cross :thumb:

I believe this is a 2 cross, based on this web page. I think most of these ebike wheel build are 2 cross and never 3 cross.

How exactly are you seeing a 3 cross?

I would consider editing your prior message so not to confuse anyone if we figure out that this is laced in 2 cross.

https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bicycle-news/156387911-speaking-of-spokes-spoke-patterns

So, a three-cross (3-cross or 3X) spoke pattern will mean each spoke crosses three others between the hub and the rim. Check it out! The "green" spoke crosses the 3 "yellow" spokes on its way out.
3cross.gif

Here is a picture of the Sur-Ron Rim, you can clearly see it crosses only 2 spokes. I believe crossing 2 spokes is on the same side of the hub, not both sides.

jlus6PC.jpg

ycMGCdm.jpg

Back