PaulD's lightweight mid drive development

lightrush said:
But the BAC500 supports 48V. Wouldn't it just work if I plug in my 48V battery?

Controllers are programmed for a specific voltage. It is certainly possible to program it to work over a wide range of voltages, but you lose the ability to cutback current/power at low SOC and to prevent regen from causing an over voltage (not a problem with a mid drive like this). It's best practice to have the controller provide these rollbacks and cutouts rather than your BMS.

lightrush said:
So when can we buy one?

Parts are trickling in. Just received freewheel parts today. Mounting plates should be here Monday, but they need to go out for anodizing. These parts are to accommodate the new torque sensor that is more robust than the Sempu. We should have kits ready in 2 weeks.

i'm interested in one sans battery still.

Hey Paul,

Things have been a bit quiet around here (i have not been back for quite some time myself) but its nice to see you have been planning/scheming/working away in the back ground developing this product and still carrying the torch of innovation! Very tidy, I commend you on your effort and vision.

By the way, how did you become one of the chosen ones? Just a little jealous....

PaulD said:
justin_le said:
Hey Paul, what's that cute looking battery package I see there!? :wink:
:) That's our Grin inspired potted battery pack. 10S3P LG MJ1 cells with Grin's amazing full featured LIGO bms. It's potted in super tough UL 94 V-0 polyurethane. With our stealth quick release mounts it's a pretty tidy package.

PaulD said:
lightrush said:
So when can we buy one?

Parts are trickling in. Just received freewheel parts today. Mounting plates should be here Monday, but they need to go out for anodizing. These parts are to accommodate the new torque sensor that is more robust than the Sempu. We should have kits ready in 2 weeks.

What new torque sensor?

PaulD said:
lightrush said:
So when can we buy one?

Great news can’t wait!

Sounds fine to me .
I will sorce a battery locally.
The male power supply plug for the battery connection
!
Will you be able to supply a female to fit to the battery I supply and possibly another male plug to fit to whichever battery charger I end up using ?

quick question, does one pedal have more outward offset than the other? if so, how much?

wanna know if th q factor is even.

Danny Mayes said:
Things have been a bit quiet around here (i have not been back for quite some time myself) but its nice to see you have been planning/scheming/working away in the back ground developing this product and still carrying the torch of innovation! Very tidy, I commend you on your effort and vision.
By the way, how did you become one of the chosen ones? Just a little jealous....

Hi Danny, apologies for not keeping this thread updated and thanks for the compliment. I've been to busy, but I'll try harder to keep posting. Regarding the battery, are you referring to being a chosen one to use the Ligo BMS? Well, I've known Justin since college, we met at UBC probably 15 years ago. Also, I was the principal battery engineer at an e-moto company for many years, so he trusts I will build a design a quality pack with Grin's electronics.

Not to take you away from the work, One other quick question as I’m looking for a used full suspension mountain bike. What’s the front chainring 42 tooth?

neptronix said:
quick question, does one pedal have more outward offset than the other? if so, how much?

wanna know if th q factor is even.

With the new torque sensor, Q-factor is about 180mm for a 73mm BB. I measure about 90mm each side +/- a few mm. I switched from Miranda 4mm offset cranks to 0mm since the Erider BB spindle is longer than the Sempu.
Q-factor for a 68mm BB is about 175mm.
edit: I noticed the Erider datasheet says driveside is 3mm longer, so there is a small offset.

Nobreaks said:
Will you be able to supply a female to fit to the battery I supply and possibly another male plug to fit to whichever battery charger I end up using ?

Yes, I can include this with kits shipped without batteries. We use an XT60 connector which is quite common.

Joost5000 said:
What’s the front chainring 42 tooth?
In the first batch of kits, I included a chainring that was suitable for the bike type and wheel size. For example, for a 29er mtb, it included a 32T. For a 700C road bike, a 44-46T. This is a bit of a hassle since I have to stock a lot of chainrings, so I might switch to maybe 3-4 stock sizes soon. For now, I'll provide what I think will work best for each application.

PaulD said:
With the new torque sensor, Q-factor is about 180mm for a 73mm BB. I measure about 90mm each side +/- a few mm. I switched from Miranda 4mm offset cranks to 0mm since the Erider BB spindle is longer than the Sempu.
Q-factor for a 68mm BB is about 175mm.
edit: I noticed the Erider datasheet says driveside is 3mm longer, so there is a small offset.

Oh darn, that's not compatible with my bizarre leg issues ( i know this from riding other mid drives ), glad i asked before ordering.
GL with your really cool drive system otherwise.

PaulD said:
lightrush said:
What new torque sensor?

I've been having good results with the Erider for the last 6 months, so we are going with it. Here it is with the new freewheel hub.
IMG_20200315_094502_copy_2024x1518.jpg

Interesting. That looks a lot like Sempu but not quite. How's it better? I have the Sempu I got from you some time ago and I have an idea of how it behaves.

PaulD said:
Hi Danny, apologies for not keeping this thread updated and thanks for the compliment. I've been to busy, but I'll try harder to keep posting. Regarding the battery, are you referring to being a chosen one to use the Ligo BMS? Well, I've known Justin since college, we met at UBC probably 15 years ago. Also, I was the principal battery engineer at an e-moto company for many years, so he trusts I will build a design a quality pack with Grin's electronics.

No need to apologise, i know how busy life is. I'm enjoying the updates FWIW :)

Heheh, yeah I was referring the the LiGo BMS! Well, good for you, it's such a great solution. I adore my LiGo.

D

neptronix said:
Oh darn, that's not compatible with my bizarre leg issues ( i know this from riding other mid drives ), glad i asked before ordering.
GL with your really cool drive system otherwise.

Is it the q-factor or the offset that's an issue for you?

lightrush said:
Interesting. That looks a lot like Sempu but not quite. How's it better? I have the Sempu I got from you some time ago and I have an idea of how it behaves.

It's very similar. Not sure who copied who. The main advantage is that the cadence signal is more robust (or so it seems). The Sempu T4 sometimes has issues if your BB shell hasn't been faced properly. Also, the wire exits the left BB cup, so no need to drill a hole in your frame!

Danny Mayes said:
No need to apologise, i know how busy life is. I'm enjoying the updates FWIW :)
Heheh, yeah I was referring the the LiGo BMS! Well, good for you, it's such a great solution. I adore my LiGo.

Good to hear and thanks for the support. Yes, the Ligo is pretty amazing piece of engineering.

Danny Mayes said:
Things have been a bit quiet around here (i have not been back for quite some time myself) but its nice to see...

I feel like a doof, I was making a comment about ES at large (or the Non-hob thread at least) saying it was quiet, as in from the good ol days at least, attempting to commend you on NOT being quiet! :lol:

D

PaulD said:
Is it the q-factor or the offset that's an issue for you?

Probably both. A BBS02 with it's 10-15mm offset on one side caused me to develop patellafemoral syndrome on the opposite leg, which was disabling until i did physical therapy. This happened within 100 miles of riding it over the course of 2 weeks.

When my gym switched their exercise bikes to ones that had an additional inch of pedal width ( 7 inches vs the previous 6 ), i stopped using them because they hurt on both legs.

I have minor bone deformities so i'm a weird case. I thought your design was more narrow than it actually is. Darn.

neptronix said:
Probably both.
When my gym switched their exercise bikes to ones that had an additional inch of pedal width ( 7 inches vs the previous 6 ), i stopped using them because they hurt on both legs.

A 3mm offset can be easily overcome with a pedal washer on one side, but yes, a 6" (152mm) q factor is hard to find outside of a pure road bike. My non-e mountain bike has a 178mm q-factor which is pretty normal.

PaulD said:
A 3mm offset can be easily overcome with a pedal washer on one side, but yes, a 6" (152mm) q factor is hard to find outside of a pure road bike. My non-e mountain bike has a 178mm q-factor which is pretty normal.

I just measured my bikes and it looks like your q factor is only +5mm of my widest setup, nice.

Apparently the narrower the better for biomechanics. Compared to most mid drives your system is pretty narrow. Kudos on that!

neptronix said:
I just measured my bikes and it looks like your q factor is only +5mm of my widest setup, nice.
Apparently the narrower the better for biomechanics. Compared to most mid drives your system is pretty narrow. Kudos on that!
Yep, for some people narrow is really important, I totally understand. I really want to do a custom torque sensor some day, just not sure if I'll ever have the time.

Back