Frey CC ordered!

I’m glad that you’re enjoying your bike. It sounds like you might have forgotten to keep your inside pedal up if you’re getting pedal strikes on turns. I think your bike comes with standard 170mm cranks which is probably the correct length for a commuter bike. I know some MTB riders go as low as 150mm due to the increased possibility of pedal strikes on rough terrain. I’m getting an AM1000 and I’ll probably keep my pedals in a neutral position and use the throttle during sticky uphill climbs.
I hope that Frey does a thorough check to make sure all parts are included in the shipment. You shouldn’t be missing bolts when you put your bike together. We all want to ride the day our bikes are delivered, not wait for another shipment from China.
I think it was you that ordered the really nice green colored bike. Was there an upcharge was for the color change and did you pick it from YS paint catalog that was posted? I’m thinking of ordering an EX model for my wife because she would prefer a concealed battery and I’d like to choose a blue-green color from the catalog similar to the one on the new Specialized turbo Levo. If Frey allows this it would be a great marketing tool as it would offer a level of customization no name brand bike manufacturer has.
I saw a notice on the Alibaba site that shipping may be affected by the corona virus so I’m hoping that those of us who ordered since the outbreak get our bikes without delays.
Please let us know how your bike handles if you take it off road and enjoy your rides.

Pauldugie - there was no upcharge for the paint, I just mentioned that I had seen a nice bronze coloured bike in one of their promotional materials and asked if they could do other colours.
I won't really be doing much if any trail riding. My area is fairly flat, and the only trails around seem to be mosquito infested swamp areas which hold no fun for me at all.
As for the pedals, I'm pretty sure it was a user induced issue.

Sorry to hear you don’t have good trails in your area. You mentioned flat land, swamps, and mosquitoes. I don’t know where you live but it sounds a lot like Florida. I’m fortunate to have many good trails in my area in upstate New York and I found quite a few using the All Trails app which I highly recommend. In the U.S. all National parks were opened to ebikes last August and I don’t think it will be long before they are allowed anywhere regular bikes can go. There is no greener technology than an ebike and advocacy groups are getting politicians to finally listen. The Bafang Ultra motor may be above the current U.S. legal 750 watt limit but I doubt anyone will notice. I think the European 25km/h speed restriction is ridiculously low and hard to justify especially for commuter ebikes. I hope you aren’t as restricted in your area or get hassled for throttling down the road at 30+ mph. Have fun!

I'm in Northern Australia, approximately 12 degrees from the equator (around the same as parts of Nicaragua, Columbia or Venezuela), where the maximum heat of every single day of the year is better 30 - 32 degrees C (86-90f)
Unfortunately the same rules apply as in Europe, but I think our city is small enough (125k people) that awareness of larger powered bikes is not an issue. In fact I recently had an officer, who was riding a Segway at the time, compliment the bike!

2 months in to ownership, couple of hundred kms in, and while I'm impressed with the bike as a whole, I'm not so pleased about some of the nuts and bolts used to put the bike together which are starting to show a fair bit of surface rust even though they've never seen mud or rain!

That’s too bad. I would have thought they would use stainless steel screws and bolts to assemble the bike. Did you mention the situation to Frey? If you send pictures to them, they may send you replacement parts of higher quality. You do have a full 2 year warranty so I’d expect them to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Simon will probably be able to give you some feedback as well.
My bikes are still in production and probably won’t ship out until late April at the earliest. The USA is now in full panic mode after the WHO declared a pandemic. Trump just suspended flights from Europe last night excluding the U.K. and our universities are switching to online classes only. I’m canceling all my tennis activities until the threat is over and all public sporting events that haven’t been canceled will be played without fans in the stands. Biking is probably the safest exercise I can do for a while and I’m stuck with my ancient acoustic bikes until probably early June. Ugh.
Good luck with resolving your rusty bolts issue and please post if Frey corrects the situation.

Pauldugie said:
That’s too bad. I would have thought they would use stainless steel screws and bolts to assemble the bike. Did you mention the situation to Frey? If you send pictures to them, they may send you replacement parts of higher quality. You do have a full 2 year warranty so I’d expect them to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Simon will probably be able to give you some feedback as well.
My bikes are still in production and probably won’t ship out until late April at the earliest. The USA is now in full panic mode after the WHO declared a pandemic. Trump just suspended flights from Europe last night excluding the U.K. and our universities are switching to online classes only. I’m canceling all my tennis activities until the threat is over and all public sporting events that haven’t been canceled will be played without fans in the stands. Biking is probably the safest exercise I can do for a while and I’m stuck with my ancient acoustic bikes until probably early June. Ugh.
Good luck with resolving your rusty bolts issue and please post if Frey corrects the situation.
Does anyone know how long is the Frey bike warranty? 12 or 24 months?
Because I read in different posts two years... But Grace says me 12 months

eggbert said:
2 months in to ownership, couple of hundred kms in, and while I'm impressed with the bike as a whole, I'm not so pleased about some of the nuts and bolts used to put the bike together which are starting to show a fair bit of surface rust even though they've never seen mud or rain!

What is your experience with range? How do you like the full suspension?

Hi,

Have you reported with us what nuts and bolts show bit of surface rust as you mentioned?
we have not got any feedback about this point before. please contact with us directly so you can learn what you are talking about it.
Thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,
Ivy Wang

eggbert said:

I would first like to offer an apology to Ivy and all at team Frey. While I did get some surface rusting to some bolts, it didn't have anything to do with the quality of products that were used in the build. I soon discovered some other environmental issue causing the problem and quickly moved the bike to different storage.
This year's big issue stopped me riding for quite a long time, but I'm now back on the bike and am at around 500km ridden with no major issues. As I'm getting fitter the bike is becoming more pleasurable to ride, and I'm also able to commute to work more frequently.
I am having a minor issue with the throttle which has a mind of its own as to whether it wants to work or not. Some days it will work perfectly but others hardly at all and the most minor of bumps will stop it working altogether. I'm assuming this might just be a cable not plugged in correctly but have a5 year old demanding most of my time when I'm home so I've not had chance to look at a manual to find where the issue may be.

One thing I would suggest to Frey though is to check with clients which side of the handlebars they would like the front brake lever to be on. In countries where people drive in the left hand side of the road the front brake lever is usually on the right hand side, and this is the first bike I've ever ridden with levers on the opposite sides. I've had one minor stack due to this where I ended up with a crack in the rear lights. Nothing major but something to think about for future buyers.

I am really enjoying mine. Still working out a few issues here or there. Plan to upgrade to the exess controller to improve range. Other than lack of dual battery option this bike is hard to fault. While heavy it's so comfortable and stable as speed. I think Frey should consider a dual battery option, with smaller spare that can be placed where the bottle holder is, and a cover that can serve as a bottle holder when not in use as reserve battery.

Tom said:
I think Frey should consider a dual battery option, with smaller spare that can be placed where the bottle holder is, and a cover that can serve as a bottle holder when not in use as reserve battery.

or maybe provide batteries that match the advertising:

2Slow said:
Guys, I got 3A charger supplied with Frey EX. Checked output current, it's under 3A. Battery goes from 5% to 100% in 3 hours. Meaning it's accepted about 9 a/h of charge. But spec suggest 14a/h batteries. Max voltage suggest they are 100% charged to 4.2V, so no buffer at the top. I hear that there is some buffer at the bottom below 3.7V
Did anyone ever put battery thru capacity test? At face value, they appear overrated by 30%.
Same performance observed for in-tube and external battery.
:lowbatt:

I've been skimming a bit and may have missed this: does the bike have a throttle? I'm considering ordering a CC but no throttle would be a deal breaker. Also, are the lights hardwired?

Yes it has a throttle, but as default out of the factory that throttle cannot be used from start - you generally have to be moving before it will engage for safety reasons.

eggbert said:
Yes it has a throttle, but as default out of the factory that throttle cannot be used from start - you generally have to be moving before it will engage for safety reasons.

Thanks. That is the exact opposite, though, of what a disabled person needs. I have to be able to use the throttle to start moving, especially at busy intersections. I know of no terrible accidents with throttles and experienced riders*, so Frey Fails for me, I guess.

* Newbies can use any system or feature to cause a crash, including the brakes. "My old bike didn't throw me over the handlebars when I grabbed both brakes hard!"

I suggest to ask Frey to reprogram the CC when you order it, it can be set to throttle from zero.
When you do, I suggest to tell Frey why you request so, a disability to peddle is a prefect reason.

Some Frey owners have received software from Frey to do the reprogramming for the throttle from zero themselves, however it does require some PC knowledge.

Frey does the throttle from peddle for a few reasons, one is for safety and another is for protection of the motor.

Frey does the throttle from peddle for a few reasons, one is for safety and another is for protection of the motor.

Do mid drives have a problem with pulling from a dead stop, or only if drag-raced? Aside from a crappy LA Free bike I got in 2001, this would be my first mid drive.

NoFanBoiz said:
Tom said:
I think Frey should consider a dual battery option, with smaller spare that can be placed where the bottle holder is, and a cover that can serve as a bottle holder when not in use as reserve battery.

or maybe provide batteries that match the advertising:

2Slow said:
Guys, I got 3A charger supplied with Frey EX. Checked output current, it's under 3A. Battery goes from 5% to 100% in 3 hours. Meaning it's accepted about 9 a/h of charge. But spec suggest 14a/h batteries. Max voltage suggest they are 100% charged to 4.2V, so no buffer at the top. I hear that there is some buffer at the bottom below 3.7V
Did anyone ever put battery thru capacity test? At face value, they appear overrated by 30%.
Same performance observed for in-tube and external battery.
:lowbatt:

We need to get proper battery test done. It's unclear why estimated capacity is less than advertised, could be depth of discharge limited to promote lifespan. In any case, it's known that even best batteries on the market sold overstated, as they are all tested at best case scenario setting. Take new Iphone or Samsung, install battery test app and check battery capacity. It is common to have from nominal to anywhere -10%. And that is on best of the best :)

We need to get proper battery test done. It's unclear why estimated capacity is less than advertised, could be depth of discharge limited to promote lifespan. In any case, it's known that even best batteries on the market sold overstated, as they are all tested at best case scenario setting. Take new Iphone or Samsung, install battery test app and check battery capacity. It is common to have from nominal to anywhere -10%. And that is on best of the best :)

It's common knowledge that it takes a few charge/discharge cycles for a new battery to reach full capacity. I suggest the test be repeated after, say, 8-10 cycles. Then you'd have a better idea of how much the capacity is being exaggerated.

LeftieBiker said:
eggbert said:

Thanks. That is the exact opposite, though, of what a disabled person needs. I have to be able to use the throttle to start moving, especially at busy intersections. I know of no terrible accidents with throttles and experienced riders*, so Frey Fails for me, I guess.

* Newbies can use any system or feature to cause a crash, including the brakes. "My old bike didn't throw me over the handlebars when I grabbed both brakes hard!"
When you are level 0 assist, you can press the assist down button again, and access a walking speed throttle. It feels fast enough that you may be able to start riding at that level and then once the bike is going you should be able to access the throttle. I wonder if this would work for you?

When you are level 0 assist, you can press the assist down button again, and access a walking speed throttle. It feels fast enough that you may be able to start riding at that level and then once the bike is going you should be able to access the throttle. I wonder if this would work for you?

No. When crossing a busy street you don't want a gentle lurch forward to a few MPH, then a wait for PAS to engage. You need to be able to get the PAS engaged, or the bike to a similar speed, with a minimum elapsed time and no straining to pedal the bike from a dead stop. It doesn't require a lot of power - my old EZIP Trailz bikes could do it just fine - but it does require more than Walk Mode.

Hello, please may you post pictures of the CC battery ?
I figured out is the same of EX PRO and also other brands.

This interesting downtube is the same of Sobowo and FLX models
Thanks a lot
Regards

They look like a cross between a am1000 an a EX?
With a much bigger integrated battery...
I was hoping 2021 would bring an upgraded CC
With bigger integrated battery,
and better suspension components for light single track Riding....
Has anyone asked Frey to put a Yari front fork on the CC and a better rear shock as well?
I know SRAM make a Yari in 130-150mm travel,

Back