My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

In cold climate usage you will get more range without nickel strips. Steel-nickel strips will keep the battery warmer.

Setup for optimal range would be nickel strips and a battery pouch.

Everything is closed but atleast you can enjoy the spring and nice weather.

I’ve never been happier owning my FAT1000. This is one of the last forms of sport you can enjoy at the moment which makes it even more nicer.

Attachments

• F990CC4E-912D-4FC1-992B-B6546A522B45.jpeg
    F990CC4E-912D-4FC1-992B-B6546A522B45.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 3,253
i think it is vice versa for extrem cold environments. modern cells can withstand cold environments very good - especially the LG MJ1. each cell gets warmer based on the chemical discharging process after a while. if cell is very cold it is even more stressed because the motor pulls its amps and the resistance of nickel plated steel is worse - that's when the cell loses extreme capacity and alters extremely. during your ride you also always lose the watts - no matter if cells are heated up to normal operation temperature. and of course sooner or later it will rust.
also for hot environments it is not good because in that case heat is your enemy.
Normally the only purpose of nickel plated steel strips is for low amp applications.
my opinion… :D

anyways, Europe's society is -how should I say- "shutting down" caused by Corona. but yeah : it is a wonderful day to ride !!!!! :bigthumb:
@FlyingFinn: nice photo & nice bike !!!!!!!
RIDE ON !!!!!

barbarossa said:
i think it is vice versa for extrem cold environments.
I was talking about **charging**, if too cold will destroy the cells, instant scrap.

Especially at too high a rate.

Cannot rely on harmful internally generated heat, need to warm the cells from the outside.

Bringing inside to charge is also an easy solution.

Yes of course while **not** in use, colder is better, but that's an entirely different subject

Skankhuntr said:
Tom said:
Full price up front. If you pay with CC you go thru Alibaba's payment processing which includes an extra % fee (in my case pretty much a wash against my credit card rewards). With other methods I wouldn't want to pay twice as you'd get zinged with flat fees for wire or money transfer twice.

Thanks Tom!

I'm debating on whether to get this in large or XL. I'm 1.87 cm (~6.2 ft). Anyone here around the same height that can give me an idea which size would fit best? Someone said the Frey bikes ran fairly large.

Skankhuntr,

I am 6'2" also, I went with the XL. At first I was worried but now I am glad that I did.

john61ct said:
barbarossa said:
i think it is vice versa for extrem cold environments.
I was talking about **charging**, if too cold will destroy the cells, instant scrap.

Especially at too high a rate.

Cannot rely on harmful internally generated heat, need to warm the cells from the outside.

Bringing inside to charge is also an easy solution.

Yes of course while **not** in use, colder is better, but that's an entirely different subject

Ah...my post was related to flyingFinn‘s post about discharge range.
The real problem is charging at low temperatures- i totally agree.

Hi friends,

Hope everyone is good enough in your side and take care yourself!
We are trying to do something to support our orginal and new FREY customers. see our latest news below:
http://www.frey.bike/article/FREY-is-with-you.htm

If there is something we can support, please feel free contact us.

Best Regards,
Ivy Wang

I’m interested in ordering a FREY, but I’m curious how communication has been with others? I’ve heard good things; but it might be 2 days before I get a response.

I know time zones are an issue, along with corona; but the lack of communication concerns me (should I run into issues if I made a purchase!)

Gizzygone said:
I’m interested in ordering a FREY, but I’m curious how communication has been with others? I’ve heard good things; but it might be 2 days before I get a response.

I know time zones are an issue, along with corona; but the lack of communication concerns me (should I run into issues if I made a purchase!)

I have a AM1000. Let me tell you that FREY has been outstanding in standing behind their Bikes. I couldn't be happier with my dealings with them. Yes sometimes it may take 2 days, sometimes one, but they will get back to you.
All I can say is, Fear Not.

bugnut said:
I have a AM1000. Let me tell you that FREY has been outstanding in standing behind their Bikes. I couldn't be happier with my dealings with them. Yes sometimes it may take 2 days, sometimes one, but they will get back to you.
All I can say is, Fear Not.

They have gotten quite busy as of late. I'm not so concerned about the delay in responding as much as whether they can maintain the same level of quality as they scale. For example, I heard they switched battery suppliers (original 'supplier couldn't scale) and saw one recent report of a user getting very disappointing range (and similarly for spare battery). Another CC user reported bolts showing rust. It is making me hesitant to recommend until I get my CC.

Wow, that is so kind of you. Thank you Ivy :)

FREYebikes said:
Hi friends,

Hope everyone is good enough in your side and take care yourself!
We are trying to do something to support our orginal and new FREY customers. see our latest news below:
http://www.frey.bike/article/FREY-is-with-you.htm

If there is something we can support, please feel free contact us.

Best Regards,
Ivy Wang

Gizzygone said:

I've had pretty good experience with direct contact via Alibaba messaging or even email. However I do not seem to get email updates from Frey without contacting them first. Apparently there was an email that went out on the 18th that I did not get about order status. But when I reached out and asked for a status, I had a very prompt response from grace. They are not 24/7 so they do work local hours, so keep that in mind. If you are online during their hours I'm sure you get a very quick response, otherwise like stated it is about a day delay.

They've mentioned they wills end emails out on builds, but I haven't seen this. Curious if anyone else has gotten these emails?

I've lost one of the nuts on the rear linkage from my AM1000 frame. I sent an email to Frey to ask for a replacement. Wondering if anyone has had similar experience, if anyone knows the thread size/pitch (so I can get a temporary nut until I get a replacement), or if by chance anyone has a spare. And of course, a heads-up to check those on your frame and perhaps remove and reinstall with some thread locking compound. Picture attached for reference.
AM1000_MISSING_NUT.jpg

Temp replacement found at Ace hardware. Frey sending replacement (thanks Frey!) Ride on
AM1000_MISSING_NUT_temp.jpg

FREYebikes said:
And we confirm you that the strips between cells are pure nickel in our batteries now.
And if apply for 48V17.5Ah battery with 3500mA cells, we still need to use the Dorado Plus case for our AM1000. because there is not enough space to fit the 35A currect BMS inside of the flat Dorado case.
Best Regards,
Ivy Wang

Ivy good to see you back on this thread :) And thank you for clarifying. Bummer to hear the flat case won't work for the smaller battery even though the cells would fit, but I understand the BMS won't (which is what barbarossa was curious about). One more thing that might lead to less confusion: the 'flat' case is the Dorado Plus, and the wider one that you're using is the Dorado Max.

Another question is the warranty. I see someone posted here about it. One of the major reasons I ordered the bike was because of your post Ivy that the warranty was 2 years..?

Thanks for your responses and I hope your family and friends are healthy, and that business is doing well. I just got the pictures of my built bike- thank you for getting things done as quickly as possible in these challenging times :)

since this is the biggest ultra thread thought i would ask here

does anyone know of a bash guard for sale for the ultra motor?

[/quote]

I've had pretty good experience with direct contact via Alibaba messaging or even email. However I do not seem to get email updates from Frey without contacting them first. Apparently there was an email that went out on the 18th that I did not get about order status. But when I reached out and asked for a status, I had a very prompt response from grace. They are not 24/7 so they do work local hours, so keep that in mind. If you are online during their hours I'm sure you get a very quick response, otherwise like stated it is about a day delay.

They've mentioned they wills end emails out on builds, but I haven't seen this. Curious if anyone else has gotten these emails?
[/quote]

For some reasons my initial emails were going through with Frey, but they started to go to spam. Luckily Grace emailed me from a gmail account to follow up, and I was able to catch the email in my junk folder and remove them from junk. It is looking pretty good:
GzEjbhL.jpg

Hi!

Have you encountered issues with the gear shift sensor jamming the cable? For me this issue repeats itself once in three months.

Solution is easy as though. When the cable jams in the sensor it lifts the cable housing away from the sensor. Just spray some silicone oil in there and the problem is solved. This mainly occurs when temps hover near freezing.

FlyingFinn said:
wiRider said:
FlyingFinn said:
scrambler said:
Hi there,
Has anyone attempted to install a Rohloff on a Frey AM1000 or CC?
Thanks

To my understanding installing a Rohloff to the AM1000-frame would require a severe amount of high precision modding of the frame. Given that the value of the frame alone isn’t that high, around $500, I don’t deem it profitable. There is and will be Rohloff-compatible frames on the market that are ready from the box.

I think the “high precision modding of the frame” is only the case when pairing with a belt drive. You should be able to do a Rohloff with a standard chain. Since it is full suspension they can use a derailleur to take up the slack.

I didn’t know Rohloff makes those as well. I’ve only worked with belt driven Rohloffs. Thx for clarification!

Verify the maximal input torque of the rhloffs! I read 130 nm somewhere. With the 160 from the motor plus you pedalling hard... they are tough, but the ultra might be a bit too much?

Yes 130 N.m is the spec limit, obviously the max torque right at the shear pins.

But some designers measure their system work / torque in ways that produces much higher numbers overall.

I have my FAT1000 running 27.5 x 3.0 wheelset now.

Planning to upgrade to this:
[youtube]_gFhDXKMk1k[/youtube]
27.5 is much better than 26 x 4-5 for summer usage in fatbikes. Everything ranging from 27.5 x 3.0 to 4.0.

FlyingFinn said:
Everything is closed but atleast you can enjoy the spring and nice weather.

I’ve never been happier owning my FAT1000. This is one of the last forms of sport you can enjoy at the moment which makes it even more nicer.

How is the Fat1000 different from the AM1000 besides the tire size?

Sinbord1981 said:
My latest video, out riding on my >year old Frey AM1000.

[youtube]vf1GVLEd_Zo[/youtube]

Please let me know if you have any questions on the bikes as ai am more than happy to help answer them for you!

Not seeing it

Back