Wayne’s Dengfu Carbon Fibre FS 27.5” with Bafang M600 (throttle also)

Thanks. So I need to turn it clockwise to remove it right? I need to come up with a way to hold the spider while I’m trying to loosen the ring.

Leeleeducati said:
Not sure about, “normally” but it is LH treaded on mine...

Thanks! And someone said to use a chain whip to hold the chainring while loosening. I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me, haha.

Leeleeducati said:
Correct, CW will loosen. CCW will tighten.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.18.15 AM.jpg
Thinking about buying this set of LH and RH taps for shortening my crank arms. I am hopeing because the Bafang arms are Aluminum these will work to create new threads from a freshly drilled out hole - I wont be just cleaning up old threads with this set. They seem a bit pricey at 50 bucks for the set. Any thoughts out there. Ebay will ship cheapy's for half the price but not sure if its worth getting what appears to be a better set shown in the photo here from Amazon?
ANy thoughts? I plan to shorten the arms by 15 to 20mm. Too many pedal strickes even with the throttle for my liking. The stock 175mm are just way too long on this bike.

thanks.......wayne

I just checked Ali, you are right the offshore stuff is <1/2 that price. I’m not a production shop and all the bike related machine tools and taps I’ve bought off Ali have been great. Mind you the tooling I’ve bought I was in no rush for (takes about a month to get to Ontario), but have all been good for my very minimal use purpose. If $50 plus our wonderful HST is in the budget, go for the Park. But every time I modify an original part I usually source the same replacement in case I mess something up or want to revert back to the original. The offshore stuff could free us some funds for extra parts.

Hi Wayne,

I'm building a dengfu M600 bike the E-05 model. It uses the same battery. I had planned to build my own battery pack and just buy the dengfu case. I can't work out how the cells are supposed to be mounted in the aluminium case. Do you have any photos inside your battery pack? The corners of the cells are very close to shorting out on the case. There must be some insulator or something i'm missing?

I've also modelled the cells+cell holder vs the aluminium case in CAD to try and find a solution. This shows how close it is to shorting.

View attachment 1

HI Naga, good going on the pack. I am sorry but I have not had the pack apart so no photos of its insides or clues to its construction. I am not even sure if my pack is actualy from Bafang or if Dengfu had it built by third parts.
Please keep us posted how the build goes. Glad to get updates on all things related to the M600 drive.

Finished my bike (for now). I plan to add a second battery in the triangle later on.

My specs:
  • 11 speed shimano setup.
  • Magura mt5 brakes.
  • Internal dropper post was a pain to setup.
  • 42t chain ring
  • 11-46t cassette
  • 29" wheels.
  • diy battery using 3.4AH 18650 cells ~650WH.

Initial feeling:
Bike rides awesome, handles great on mtb courses making it easy and pretty forgiving on downhill runs. M600 feels way more powerful than my BBS02 500w. The speed limit and throttle are pretty annoying. Mine came with a 45kmh speed limit and the throttle seems to be speed control instead of power control making it really jerky. I wish we could program the unit ourselves.

DSC04506_resize.jpg
DSC04514_resize.jpg

HI Naga, welcome to the club. Glad you have your M600 on the trail. A couple of questions for you please......

1. Good going on the home built Battery pack, did you go 48 volt or 52 volt? I am assuming 48 Volt 13s. (EDIT YES I SEE NOW FROM PREVIOUS POSTING YOU ARE AT 13S 4P)

2. You have mentioned that your "throttle seems to be speed control instead of power controled" . Weird as mine and others are not this way. The drives are supposed to be both speed and torque controlled. A simple test for if torque sensing is working is say put the bike in around the middle gear say 8th or something like this and then start out slowly on level ground with your power level on 5 which is max. Then try a few pedal rotations with only light pedal input and then after coasting a bit try a few pedal rotations with very hard pedal input. If you feel the bike really jump under the extra pedal input compared to smaller motor input from light pedaling then it implies you have torque sensing working. See what happens and report back to us if you have the time.......thanks wayne

Here is a tip from a friend of mine that know's of a person that put the speedo magnet on the crank arm and then rearranged the speedo sensor on the chainstay accordingly to bypass a controllers low speed limiter setting. This was not done on the M600 but on a different drive but should work on these drives also if someone was determined to get a bit of extra top speed out of there ride on the flats.

Awesome build naga! Thanks for photos.

Yeah, so many people are complaining about the factory speed limit. I don't have any objections to the m600 aside from that. I wish there was an override for the throttle speed limit as well. I'd be perfectly happy with an m600 that ran to 32 mph or so without the limiter. The low Q factor and lower weight are big draws.

Naga nice build, what's the amount you f travel you can get out of the rear shock... 150mm?

Luna Cycle has developed a quiet gear for the M600. Sounds as quiet if not quieter than the BBSHD under load. I ordered one yesterday, so I'll report my findings.

https://lunacycle.com/blog/luna-develops-silent-gear-for-the-bafang-m600/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf78B2HfbXU&feature=emb_logo

Hi Gizzygone, yes the frame is holding up fine. The bike is a winner.

waynebergman said:
Hi Gizzygone, yes the frame is holding up fine. The bike is a winner.

No issues with anything? I’m finding communication to be very slow (not just because of the time-difference: because if I send more than 3-4 questions at a time I don’t get a response)

I’m looking at their full suspension fat bike... with the ultra motor.

HI Gizzygone, when you ask ----- "No issues with anything? I’m finding communication to be very slow (not just because of the time-difference: because if I send more than 3-4 questions at a time I don’t get a response)"
I was not addressing any thing to do with customer service,as your original question I was commenting on seemed to be more about the FRAME and bike itself.

I have documented in my thread already regarding customer service and it was not good but I can not comment on how it is now. I would only buy from Luna if it was me if I were re shopping for a new bike...........wayne

I was thinking about the whole experience: quality of the frame, and your experience when ordering from them.

Too bad about the customer service: it's certainly one of the things that's swaying me to pay the premium on a name-brand bike!

I've seen some of the Luna bikes: nice options, but I'm looking for a fat bike specifically: Which is the appeal of the Dengfu Direct setup.

I appreciate the insight, though!

HI Gizzygone, I have a fat tire bike and its fun. Was a novilty riding in the snow and open desert but in reality the 27.5 x 2.8 tires on my Dengfu is such a better choice in every way unless you are plowing throw super deep snow and if that is the case you may need a peppier motor than the M600 platform. In my links of other bikes owned in the signature you can see the details on my fat tire should you be intersted. You may have more experience than myself with fatties and know exactly what you need and want but my advise - is forget the fattie and just go with the X1 from Luna. The fatties are cool but heavy and kind of a specality item really only shinning on sand and snow and for me its not worth it. My Dungfu can do it all and actually better unless I am in 1 foot of snow and how often does that really happen. I have come full circle on the hardtail fatty and now back to a 2.8" x 27.5 full suspension at 50lbs so feeling like I have arrived at a good place. For what its worth Gizzygone, think er over before pulling the switch.... :).

Nice Bike Wayne. Would love to have one. To me it looks like the Luna X1 is a Dengfu like yours. The new fatty is a bit different. When I was there, they were talking about this new setup that was going to possibly take fat, 29 or 27.5 wheels. Shops like them just are not setup to take care of one off orders. Very difficult as they are swamped with larger qty repeat orders and fill in with these small orders as time allows. For folks needing some hand holding, seemed to me that once the customer is demanding more attention than they can handle, they stop trying to sell to them as they know it will be a time vampire.

672Wh-1000W-Mid-Drive-Bafang-Motor-Carbon.png

HI speedmd, the fatty you have shown looks nice but the steer tube angle looks a bit slack in relation to seat tube angle. To me the 9000 watts or so from the M600 drive is just is not enough to push a fatty around for what it i ment to do. If one just has to have a fatty then go for it I guess (I know when I was in the hunt I had to have so I know the feeling :) , but my experience says forget the fatty especially equiped with an M600 drive.
A fat bike has to have some pep or else be super light in my opinion not to mention you end up with crap forks on a fatty unless you are willing to spend a bundle atleast that was the case a few years back.

That’s the dengfu I was considering: I believe it comes with the ultra motor, though, not the 600.

Going back to your bike: can you compare how the 600 responds to pedaling, compared to a big-name motor (like Bosch or Yamaha?).

The throttle is a nice touch: but I’m wondering how good the torque sensing functions work.

The bosch and yama are tiny motors in comparison to the ultra. You can google images of the rotors. If your looking to go normal bike speeds the ultra is a bit overkill IMO. If your looking for a little bit of excitement, the ultra is the option of choice IMO. I don't mind the pas riding roads, but on tight trails and trials type riding, I turn mine off and go throttle, pedal, or both. I always get into trouble with the pas on in tight situations. That is with my bbs02. Wayne can speak more to how the m600 feels.

The magnesium cases on the apollo look trick if your looking to max out the power but not sure it is worth the extra $$$.

Back