Just had an earthquake in Los Angeles

My daughter lives in Van Nuys. It was pretty strong there. First time she's felt a major quake so now she's spooked. 7.1 is pretty big, good thing it was out in a sparsely populated area. Also strange that the foreshock was so strong and there were so many in a short period of time.

It's been a long time since I've felt one this strong; also, lasted longer than I remember. My daughter felt it in Las Vegas. A little scary about the near future.

I don't miss them, not one bit. Our LasVegas house was on the perimeter of a fault line. The land below us couldn't get building permits because of it. Then one day, SHAZAM!, they built houses. One floor split open and revealed a huge crack. NUTS!

30,000 aftershocks predicted for the next six months. Now this:
https://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/authorities-warn-of-earthquake-scam-designated-to-get-residents-out-homes-burglarize-them

:twisted:

tomjasz said:
I don't miss them, not one bit. Our LasVegas house was on the perimeter of a fault line. The land below us couldn't get building permits because of it. Then one day, SHAZAM!, they built houses. One floor split open and revealed a huge crack. NUTS!

Slab floor?

e-beach said:
tomjasz said:

Slab floor?
Yup.
99% of Las Vegas is tensioned slabs in the last 25-30 years.

Sorry about that..... :(

Sounds like a concrete patch and some sort of top for leveling...

https://patch.com/california/lakeelsinore-wildomar/earthquake-rattles-inland-empire

Once again I didn’t feel it but everyone else did. I did hear something like a thump but that was all. :roll:

3.5 just south of San Francisco on Saturday. I didn't feel it where I am. I guess it's earthquake season again.

The fingers said:
https://abc7.com/49-magnitude-earthquake-hits-in-desert-near-anza/6075354/
Felt two of them, epicenter about 25 miles from here. :shock:

https://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/

You should be used to it by now.

I have never felt an earth quake, though some have hit west coast inside Canada and I never felt anything, being on the east side of the mountains.

A tornado would be cool to see, them tornado chasers do bring along paid customers.

Dauntless said:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/world/coronavirus-earth-seismic-noise-scn-trnd/index.html

Around the world, seismologists are observing a lot less ambient seismic noise -- meaning, the vibrations generated by cars, trains, buses and people going about their daily lives. And in the absence of that noise, Earth's upper crust is moving just a little less.
Thomas Lecocq, a geologist and seismologist at the Royal Observatory in Belgium, first pointed out this phenomenon in Brussels.

Brussels is seeing about a 30% to 50% reduction in ambient seismic noise since mid-March, around the time the country started implementing school and business closures and other social distancing measures, according to Lecocq. That noise level is on par with what seismologists would see on Christmas Day, he said.

Does the same measurement in Brussels equate to same readings in Antartica, or the middle of S.America. Lots of news stories on less polluted air due to no one driving, but this earth vibration story is interesting, for about the 2 minutes I've been reading it. Now my attention will be onto the next thing.

c538262487df291675077502d6497554.jpg

markz said:
I have never felt an earth quake, ......

Depends on how close you are to the epicenter. If you are close to the epicenter, it feels like you are riding a jackhammer. When the 1994 earthquake ripped under my beach front apartment building the floor was whipping up and down like a trampoline. I couldn't stand on the floor because of the severe up and down whipping of the floor. I ended up laying in bed waiting for the quake to end and praying that the building wouldn't collapse. It didn't collapse on me, but it almost killed my friend and his wife and their 1 year old child when 5 story's of unreinforced bricks pealed off the back of the elevator shaft and came crashing through the roof of their apartment.

On the other hand, if the epicenter is far away then you feel a rocking and/or swaying motion much like sitting in a small boat when the wake of a larger boat swells under you. Depending on how large the quake is sometimes it is fun, sometimes worrisome.

Oddities can be seen during earthquakes. I have seen concrete parking lots rippling like ripples on a lake. And have seen dust start raising in a valley before the shaking starts in the higher altitude where I was standing overlooking the valley. I have seen great destruction from earthquakes, and have felt great amusement from earthquakes. From a general way of thinking about it, if it is under a 5.0, it is an amusement ride. Over 5.0, well, that is when the death starts.

On the other hand, I haven't seen snow in person in at least 45 years.

:D :bolt:

Back