My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Sinbord1981 said:
My latest video, out riding on my >year old Frey AM1000.

[youtube]vf1GVLEd_Zo[/youtube]

Please let me know if you have any questions on the bikes as ai am more than happy to help answer them for you!

I’m surprised your back pack is that muddy with the fenders you have......do you need wider ones?

Those were the ones I wanted to get but having second thoughts now.

Tom

Skankhuntr said:
How is the Fat1000 different from the AM1000 besides the tire size?

Chainstay and seatstay width and length are larger to accomodate a bigger rear tire. Otherwise the mainframe is similar with AM1000.

Hello All
I just wanted to publicly thank Ivy and the FREY team for their generosity. I took them up on their offer for some masks. Today I received a very generous supply of masks. I live on Long Island in NY where these masks are in very short supply. I will be putting them to good use.
Again Thank You

Sinbord1981 said:
My latest video, out riding on my >year old Frey AM1000.

[youtube]vf1GVLEd_Zo[/youtube]

Please let me know if you have any questions on the bikes as ai am more than happy to help answer them for you!
Nice country. No traffic. Enjoy it. :thumb:

Dt Swiss 350 aluminium hub vs. steel hub (sold separately) both after 500kms.

Attachments

• 08D6CB22-023D-4EDB-BB45-9ABC37648C28.jpeg
    08D6CB22-023D-4EDB-BB45-9ABC37648C28.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,381
  • DB71B1DF-73E7-4A8E-9AF6-4C2A1F2091FB.jpeg
    DB71B1DF-73E7-4A8E-9AF6-4C2A1F2091FB.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,381
john61ct said:
For us noobs, could you please state your conclusion?

As you can see the upper aluminium freehub body is severely dented. The 160Nm of torque is too much for it. The outmost 11t cog has almost come loose since it bites the rightmost edge of the body.

If you need to change your rear hub or the whole wheelset switch to DT Swiss 350. It has a modular and interchangeable freehub. A steel freehub body which is sold separately can be installed to it by just pulling the original off.

Hardcore said:
Any of these from the original Frey frame? Or how does it compare?

None of those two are from original Frey frame. I had to replace mine earlier on. The original hub body was looking like on the upper picture although bite-in problem didn’t constitute the failure.

My point is that if you need to replace/upgrade your wheelset a good although an expensive option is DT Swiss 350 hubs. The torque on Bafang Ultra is so massive that it will eventually break the original freehub body.

If $500 is a small amount for you for the knowledge that you’ll never get stranded in the middle of a wilderness due to a failed hub, go for it even if yours is still working!

True, good to know. And thanks for the quick reply. I had about 1000km on my original Frey wheelset, no bite-in at that point.
As an upgrade, I got a set of DT Swiss H 1900 (350 Euro at the time for the whole set), on which I have over 3000km at the moment and no bite-in. I can certainly recommend DT swiss products as a good upgrade.

Hardcore said:
True, good to know. And thanks for the quick reply. I had about 1000km on my original Frey wheelset, no bite-in at that point.
As an upgrade, I got a set of DT Swiss H 1900 (350 Euro at the time for the whole set), on which I have over 3000km at the moment and no bite-in. I can certainly recommend DT swiss products as a good upgrade.

No probs. You made a good choice!

A Quanta/Novatec rear hub body breaks --> A re-build project of the whole rear wheel at a bikeshop $200-500.
A DT Swiss 350 rear hub body breaks --> Order a new one from ebay. 5 minute DIY project in which only tools required a cassette tool and a chainwip. $50-100

Great thanks for spelling it out.

WRT high torque (160 n.M !)

Does the Ultra get there at low rpm with the stock controller?

think heavy cargo / tandem, on long steep hills

What would a good 3-5K controller be for that besides Nucular 24, ideally true FOC type with motor-temp limiting and variable regen?

If you want to haul a heavy load, a Cyclone 3000 is much more powerful. See that trailer train in my profile pic? Cyclone 3000 :) I tried to pull it using a BBSHD with a 30T chainring to a 42T in the cassette, but it would not pull it up the hill that the Cyclone 3000 had no trouble with. You're not going to regen using a mid drive. The wheel can't turn the motor. It has a freewheel in it.

john61ct said:
Great thanks for spelling it out.

What would a good 3-5K controller be for that besides Nucular 24, ideally true FOC type with motor-temp limiting and variable regen?

Waited two weeks for a reply to my purchase query to Frey, so I emailed them again.

Wanted to order an AM1000 to my local port but I have to assume they will only ship to major ports. I did mention my local port in my email, but they seemed to think that was my address. Language barriers I guess so I replied with details of city and state compared to the city they mentioned but again no reply. It's so hard to order it's ridiculous.

They need local dealers in various countries like Sur-Ron has.

Bontrager Hodag’s 27.5x3.8 (really 3.4” on 50mm rims). A great option for FAT1000 as a summer wheelset. I experienced unstableness of steering with a 3.0” wheelset. The tire was just too narrow for a massive hub spacing of 150mm in the front.

Attachments

• E28E9FAD-491A-418E-8210-DA650B75496A.jpeg
    E28E9FAD-491A-418E-8210-DA650B75496A.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,278
  • B45D5FE3-9253-46AD-BC2B-327B7341C809.jpeg
    B45D5FE3-9253-46AD-BC2B-327B7341C809.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1,278
FlyingFinn said:
Bontrager Hodag’s 27.5x3.8 (really 3.4” on 50mm rims). A great option for FAT1000 as a summer wheelset. I experienced unstableness of steering with a 3.0” wheelset. The tire was just too narrow for a massive hub spacing of 150mm in the front.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

There is some area not covered well for delivery ebike by the logistic system at present. if we missed some email answer promptly, please resend it again. we will check out and answer as soon as possible.

Regards,
Ivy

NoFanBoiz said:
Waited two weeks for a reply to my purchase query to Frey, so I emailed them again.

Wanted to order an AM1000 to my local port but I have to assume they will only ship to major ports. I did mention my local port in my email, but they seemed to think that was my address. Language barriers I guess so I replied with details of city and state compared to the city they mentioned but again no reply. It's so hard to order it's ridiculous.

robocam said:
If you want to haul a heavy load, a Cyclone 3000 is much more powerful.

You're not going to regen using a mid drive. The wheel can't turn the motor. It has a freewheel in it.
Setup may end up with multiple motors

Thanks for the tip wrt Cyclone 3000.

But would still like to know wrt the Ultra (from anyone):
john61ct said:

FREYebikes said:
Hi,

There is some area not covered well for delivery ebike by the logistic system at present. if we missed some email answer promptly, please resend it again. we will check out and answer as soon as possible.

Regards,
Ivy

NoFanBoiz said:

My first email was sent to two of your email addresses - on your website you claim replies in 12 hours. I waited over 2 weeks for a reply to basic questions and only received a reply as I resent that one and got a response.

I sent a second email in regard to your misunderstanding about shipping ports but have not received a response.

I guess business must be too busy to actually care enough to respond. I'm not about to send the second one again. Once bitten, twice shy as I take this lack of communication as an indicator of the level of service I could expect if there are product issues and your lack of timely responses means I will miss out on the special anyway.

FlyingFinn said:
The tire was just too narrow for a massive hub spacing of 150mm in the front.

Hub spacing has no bearing on the tire’s behavior.

Balmorhea said:
Hub spacing has no bearing on the tire’s behavior.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Then it’s the angle of attack of the front fork or something else regarding the geometry.

There was a weird issue with 3” tires on the FAT. No matter of the tire pressure the steering was wobbly and keen to pull in towards grooves of the road and in turns front wheel pulled hard to that side you were leaning or turning. Somehow the geometry didn’t adjust to 3” tires.

Now the situation is completely different. Same rims but de facto 3.4” tires. No problems whatsoever. Behaviour is nice and turning linear.

NoFanBoiz said:
My first email was sent to two of your email addresses - on your website you claim replies in 12 hours. I waited over 2 weeks for a reply to basic questions and only received a reply as I resent that one and got a response. I sent a second email in regard to your misunderstanding about shipping ports but have not received a response.
I guess business must be too busy to actually care enough to respond. I'm not about to send the second one again. Once bitten, twice shy as I take this lack of communication as an indicator of the level of service I could expect if there are product issues and your lack of timely responses means I will miss out on the special anyway.

Hello NoFanBoiz, please allow me to elaborate a bit more, I will divide the reply in 3 parts:

1) We introduced a new e-mail system under the frey.bike server, how do I know? I have an established frey.bike email address that I needed to get up and running again and I am pretty sure I missed a few emails too!

I am Marcel and help Ivy as a Frey brand ambassador on International Marketing.
As a disclaimer; I am not a Frey employee, everything I write is a personal opinion only!

2) As you are well aware Covid has disrupted our everyday life since early February and continues to do so till today!
Frey's supply lines have been effected and are still under a recovery process. Likewise our outward logistics system has been effected significantly too, again under the same recovery process.

So please, cut us some slack, these Covid times are not normal times, we all suffer and together we can overcome that suffering and we will come out together stronger.

3) You mentioned that you "assume they will only ship to major ports" and that you mentioned a "local port"?
Normally for the US we ship door to door, that means you will have your bike delivered at your doorstep and there is no need to pick it up in any port? If you want to further discuss by e-mail, please add me in the thread; marcel@frey.bike

If in the mean time, any of you are that are in need of face masks or any other protective equipment for you and your family, please let us know.

brake034 said:
NoFanBoiz said:
My first email was sent to two of your email addresses - on your website you claim replies in 12 hours. I waited over 2 weeks for a reply to basic questions and only received a reply as I resent that one and got a response. I sent a second email in regard to your misunderstanding about shipping ports but have not received a response.

Hello NoFanBoiz, please allow me to elaborate a bit more, I will divide the reply in 3 parts:

1) We introduced a new e-mail system under the frey.bike server, how do I know? I have an established frey.bike email address that I needed to get up and running again and I am pretty sure I missed a few emails too!

I am Marcel and help Ivy as a Frey brand ambassador on International Marketing.
As a disclaimer; I am not a Frey employee, everything I write is a personal opinion only!

2) As you are well aware Covid has disrupted our everyday life since early February and continues to do so till today!
Frey's supply lines have been effected and are still under a recovery process. Likewise our outward logistics system has been effected significantly too, again under the same recovery process.

So please, cut us some slack, these Covid times are not normal times, we all suffer and together we can overcome that suffering and we will come out together stronger.

3) You mentioned that you "assume they will only ship to major ports" and that you mentioned a "local port"?
Normally for the US we ship door to door, that means you will have your bike delivered at your doorstep and there is no need to pick it up in any port? If you want to further discuss by e-mail, please add me in the thread; marcel@frey.bike

If in the mean time, any of you are that are in need of face masks or any other protective equipment for you and your family, please let us know.

ok, let me reply to your points

1. as already stated, I emailed two email addresses, the ones on their website:
sales@frey.bike, freyebikes@gmail.com, so it's not like they could miss both.

2. Covid19 has absolutely NO relevance to replying to emails so why even bring it into the discussion?

3. as already stated, the issue is with Frey not understanding/communication issues as I had already stated my port and city and in their eventual reply, they seemed to assume my mentioning a city was my address and they then mentioned a major city with a port in another state, so I replied trying to clarify that my city was my local port and no reply, hence why the assumption only major ports. Port is relevant in this as Frey had a no freight cost option, which expired today.

Back