Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

The Admins need to reopen the AM1000 topic, why are we getting punished for one idiot.

@Hardcore, yes i did just that. The noise keeps coming back.

jeron said:
The Admins need to reopen the AM1000 topic, why are we getting punished for one idiot.

Edit, the admins of this great platform resolved various issues with that thread and now unlocked it again.

We have to appreciate their hard work to keep this forum free from intolerable crap and reasonably on topic, it is not a small job....

bugnut said:
Hello all, I purchased a hi end AM 1000 last year and I am hoping to get some help from the members on this message board.
First I am looking to change my cranks from the stock 170mm to 160mm or maybe 150mm. I would also like to change the crank wheel from a 40t to a 46t and lastly I would like to get a new chain. My bike has the SRAM EX1 gears. Can I get some ideas from y'all on parts that work and fit my bike.
Thanks

Does anyone have an answer? Does anyone see this?

I tried to order 2 Frey EX Advanced bikes with some accessories totaling $8450. I paid via ACH transfer to a Citibank account in the US as per the Alibaba instructions. That was a week ago but Ivy claims that the payment has not been received. The problem might be that they indicate to use an ACH payment code of IAT but that was not on the Bank of America form that I filled out. I have given Ivy the ACH trace code that she can use to contact Citibank to find out what happened to the money but she seems unwilling to investigate this on her end. So I have initiated a recall on the transfer which may or may not succede and it takes up to 45 days to accomplished. Obviously I am not going to send any more money to Frey until this issue is resolved. If Ivy can locate the funds on her end then I can cancel the recall.

Has anyone else used ACH transfer to pay Frey?

Frey finally received my payment. 10 days for an ACH transfer is ridiculous. I have asked why it took so long but have not been given an explanation. So I don't know whether it was my problem, my bank's problem, their bank's problem, Alibaba's problem, or Frey's problem.

So although Alibaba recommended ACH transfer as a fast and cheap payment method, I not not recommend it when paying Frey.

FYI. The Frey EX batteries have a DC 2.1 socket so there is no option for high amp charging. The charger supplied is 3a which will be rather slow to fill the 28ah batteries. I ended up ordering extra 3a chargers so I could charge each battery separately at the same time.

ChrisCrash said:
FYI. The Frey EX batteries have a DC 2.1 socket so there is no option for high amp charging. The charger supplied is 3a which will be rather slow to fill the 28ah batteries. I ended up ordering extra 3a chargers so I could charge each battery separately at the same time.
:lowbatt:
Depending on manufacturer, DC 2.1 is up to 5A, so you can plug more powerful aftermarket charger. Grin Satiator comes to mind. Or you can find transformer manufacturer in china, some of them do Li-Ion battery chargers with programmable outputs. At 3A, it will take 10 hours to recharge twin battery pack. This will aid battery lifespan, slow overnight charge. Two battery chargers will bring this down to 5 hours, still overnight event by my books.

Tom said:
Davnic said:
Rohloff hub with a gates belt drive I would be a buyer.

Not sure I could live with the noise of a Rohloff hub but FLX may have what you are looking for in the new Blade 2.0:

https://flx.bike/collections/bikes/products/blade-2-0

1645405860.png
This is a very nice and exactly the drive setup that I am looking for! Belt drive and IGH! However I am wanting a FS since I will be using it for heavy trails and such. Is Frey or any company making a FS setup with a Belt drive and IGH for a decent price?
I would think the belt would be similar in price to the chain, would save a little without a dérailleur, then add a few hundred for the IGH? So add maybe a few hundred to the final price?
Maybe its more than that, but I would think this would be a very reliable and quiet driveline system! No chain issues, quiet and always perfectly lined up!
Any thoughts on this setup for a FS eMTB? :D

banshee28 said:
Tom said:
Davnic said:
Rohloff hub with a gates belt drive I would be a buyer.

Not sure I could live with the noise of a Rohloff hub but FLX may have what you are looking for in the new Blade 2.0:

https://flx.bike/collections/bikes/products/blade-2-0

1645405860.png
This is a very nice and exactly the drive setup that I am looking for! Belt drive and IGH! However I am wanting a FS since I will be using it for heavy trails and such. Is Frey or any company making a FS setup with a Belt drive and IGH for a decent price?
I would think the belt would be similar in price to the chain, would save a little without a dérailleur, then add a few hundred for the IGH? So add maybe a few hundred to the final price?
Maybe its more than that, but I would think this would be a very reliable and quiet driveline system! No chain issues, quiet and always perfectly lined up!
Any thoughts on this setup for a FS eMTB? :D

The belt drive has no tensioner (like the chain drive has) to take up the slack as the suspension arm moves through it's travel. You won't find much when searching for FS with belt drive. The reason tensioners don't work with the belt drive, to my understanding, is even without them, keeping enough tension on the belt to prevent "skipping" under hard throttle is already an issue without one!

AHicks said:
The belt drive has no tensioner (like the chain drive has) to take up the slack as the suspension arm moves through it's travel. You won't find much when searching for FS with belt drive. The reason tensioners don't work with the belt drive, to my understanding, is even without them, keeping enough tension on the belt to prevent "skipping" under hard throttle is already an issue without one!

This is no longer true, there are a number of full suspension bikes now using a gates carbon belt.
Below are a couple
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/superdelite-mountain/
https://www.hnf-nicolai.com/ebike/xf3-2/

Those are 250W nominal euro-spec motors so they can get away with it. From what I've read Gates spec does not allow for tensioner with higher powered motors, at least that's what Watt Wagons indicated. See this post by puskar on EBR:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/woohoo-we-are-live-with-the-exclusive-new-controller-for-bafang-ultra-and-more-goodies.32535/page-3#post-256662

Initially gates forbid ALL tensioners until riese and mueller decided to do it anyway and find that it worked fine.

When you see what belts can do and take in other usage scenarios, I still believe these belts have a lot of extra strength and that they could probably take it, but someone will have to try it against the gates recommendation to validate.

I'm really struggling to get the battery out of my Frey EX.

Turn the key, regardless of which way I turn the "dial" on the frame it fails to move.

Does anyone have any tips?

Cheers

HerrDoktor said:
I'm really struggling to get the battery out of my Frey EX.

Turn the key, regardless of which way I turn the "dial" on the frame it fails to move.

Does anyone have any tips?

Cheers

OK, so it seems the retaining screw for the "dial" was almost falling off. That's tightened and now, with a bit of a tug, it comes out

Tom said:
Seems like they have grown significantly, not just direct to consumer but it looks like they are producing bikes for QuietKat and Jeep, and even Bolton is offering a bike that looks like a rebadged AM1000 with Frey's patented rear suspension. Hopefully they have added support staff to handle.

Yes, Frey make the Jeep bikes [perhaps that is what Frey are concentrating on]:
jeep.png

A couple of the models:

and plenty of other e-bike models with US support and sales:
https://quietkat.com/shop/shop-electric-bikes/

Hi... recently this subject had like 92 pages, where have they all disappeared?

You are looking for this thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91035

Back