TSDZ2 - can someone identify this part?

DavidSWP

1 µW
Hi all,

I'm new here. Please could someone identify this part from the TSDZ2? Its from the top of the motor assembly. Also, does anyone know if its possible to buy a replacement for this without having to buy a complete new motor? I have searched but can't find anyone selling it.

IMG_20200625_205010[1].jpg

Longer version: I've had a TSDZ2 for a few years now, but not done a huge number of miles on it, and never had to open it up before. A few weeks ago it broke and I suspected the blue nylon gear, so I disassembled it and sure enough the blue gear was badly damaged. I had a lot more problems than I expected with this piece of maintenance however. When I came to reconnect the 2 ends of the 3 (Yellow, Green, Blue) wires for the motor (which screw into the holes in the 3 copper looking plates on the part I'm trying to identify), one of the screws (for the middle green wire) would not tighten up, and it was clear that the threads inside that bit of 'copper' had become stripped. So, I decided just to solder the 2 ends of the green wire together with some insulation tape around the soldered connection and ignore the copper plate. I then reassembled everything else, and I got the LCD display up as normal, and could change power level etc., but the motor would not run.

Does anyone know if it's important that the 2 ends of the wire are actually making contact to that 'copper' plate? I thought just soldering them together would be ok because the copper plate doesn't appear to connect to anything, and looks like it is just a bit of metal with holes in it to allow the 2 ends of the 3 wires to screw into. I may be wrong though. Could this explain why the motor wouldn't run? I'm not sure if something else may have broken, e.g. the controller. The motor did run before I started taking things apart though.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

DavidSWP said:
Hi all,

I'm new here. Please could someone identify this part from the TSDZ2? Its from the top of the motor assembly. Also, does anyone know if its possible to buy a replacement for this without having to buy a complete new motor? I have searched but can't find anyone selling it.
Just buy a new motor and keep the old one for repair parts in the case you will need in future. The motor is not that much expensive and it should work for many many kms.

Hi casainho

Thanks for your reply. Seeing as you're one of the foremost experts on the TSDZ2, I'll take your response to mean that its not possible to buy that part separately.

I really loved the TSDZ2 when it worked, but it's obvious after taking it apart to do a routine maintenance job, that some of the components are really poor quality. I shouldn't have to replace a motor just because the screw threads stripped off so easily.

My motor is dated as manufactured in early 2016. I've heard that later models are a little different. Do you think that the quality improved later? I didn't mention it before, but I also had massive problems just taking the outer casing off. One of the allen head bolts had obviously been put in cross-threaded, and I had to drill it out. This turned what should have been a 30 minute job to replace the blue gear into a several hour long job which I've still not resolved weeks later.

I'd like to still with the TSDZ2 and eventually put the open source shareware on it, but i've been really put-off the idea by my experience trying to do some basic maintenance on it.

I have been using TSDZ2 motors now for three years and had them apart several times and mostly when they were introduced there is a 52v controller you needed to swap out with the stock one and that involved taking off the other sides cover. I did like 10 to help out a friend at a shop. All those little screws/bolts inside and outside to get to the gear are fragile but if done with care and knowing what you now know.

Or as suggested and If you can afford it get an already converted to OSF from re-cycles and as suggested keep yours for parts, just hope it's not that one.
Or maybe someone on here has a motor in the bin with other issues and has that part. In fact I'll check mine to see if it would work, just have to find the right box.....

Thanks Bigwheel. I eventually managed to fix my motor. I ended up buying a slightly narrower bolt (M2 x 4mm) to go through the 2 ends of the green wire connector and the hole in the copper plate, and secured on the other side of the copper plate with a nut. It was quite fiddly to do, but is workable if anyone has the same problem.

I also replaced the 4 external cover bolts (which fasten with a 2.5mm allen key) with titanium bolts (M4 x 15mm) which fasten with a 3mm allen key. I feel that these will be much easier to unscrew if they ever go in cross-threaded again, and I think its a worthwhile small 'upgrade' for anyone to do.

Dave

I had the same thing happen too (stripped screw holding the wire down and together) - I think most of the screws on this motor are not really meant to survive repeated use.

I just soldered the wires together, with heatshrink over it, not using the plastic thing at all. Later I extended the wires a bit so I could remove the motor unit itself without disconnecting or unsoldering the wires.

I also replaced the 4 screws holding the inner motor, as well as the ones holding the case on with torx (t20) ones.

Interesting to know. Soldering the wire together, bypassing the plastic thing with the copper plates, was the first thing I tried, but the motor wouldn't run, but I guess it must have been some other issue. I think I may have got grease on some of the contacts or something.

As people have been saying it definitely seems worth preemptively replacing some/all of the bolts & screws inside and outside. Maybe we can start a list of them.

Back