48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 13 2020 5:35am

So I'm planning to get geared hub motor and my tyre size is 45-622. I was wondering which one should I get and what kind of top speed I could expect out of these two? I was hoping at least 40km/h(25mp/h) speeds. Going to use it to commute and joy ride on paved roads mostly. No hills past 6% in my area.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000838391101.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html

Bike I'm going to convert:
Image

Commute route:
Image

How compatible my bike is with those mxus motors? Here is spec of my bike: https://whitebikes.com/ax-290-ff-20/b/2461/

Image
Image
Last edited by Laissez on Sep 13 2020 12:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 35846
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by dogman dan » Sep 13 2020 6:36am

You will need to get the 48v 1000w one to cruise at 25 mph for the majority of the ride. You always start out fast, then slow down 3-4 mph by mid ride, because the battery voltage creeps down as you ride. Most 48v geared systems top out at about 27 mph leaving the garage.

25 mph generally, takes about 7-800 watts continous. Watts is volts x amps. If you need 800w, a 500w system simply does not have the wattage to beat air resistance to going 25 mph. Plus the rpm of the motor increases with more volts. So most 36v systems tend to have a max speed around 20 mph.

I did a 15 mile one way commute for 5 years, most of it on 36v. It was ok, but I have to say when I bought a new battery, I really liked 48v better. Over time, I actually began to slow down so the enjoyable ride was not over too quick. But I had a very big hill on my route, and 48v got me up it much better.

In the options, get the best display, the one that has the volts display in a number, as well as the battery symbol. half twist throttle is usually much prefered over thumb. Faster 4 amps charger.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 13 2020 7:02am

dogman dan wrote:
Sep 13 2020 6:36am
You will need to get the 48v 1000w one to cruise at 25 mph for the majority of the ride. You always start out fast, then slow down 3-4 mph by mid ride, because the battery voltage creeps down as you ride. Most 48v geared systems top out at about 27 mph leaving the garage.

25 mph generally, takes about 7-800 watts continous. Watts is volts x amps. If you need 800w, a 500w system simply does not have the wattage to beat air resistance to going 25 mph. Plus the rpm of the motor increases with more volts. So most 36v systems tend to have a max speed around 20 mph.

I did a 15 mile one way commute for 5 years, most of it on 36v. It was ok, but I have to say when I bought a new battery, I really liked 48v better. Over time, I actually began to slow down so the enjoyable ride was not over too quick. But I had a very big hill on my route, and 48v got me up it much better.

In the options, get the best display, the one that has the volts display in a number, as well as the battery symbol. half twist throttle is usually much prefered over thumb. Faster 4 amps charger.
Thanks for your tips, 1000W 48V seems better option for me. 500W 48V kit has controller integrated to battery and it was waterproof so it was tempting. I'm planning to ride bike year around even during winter when it snows How water resistant that 1000W kit is? Any recommendations what kind of controller bag/case should I get so it's rainproof? Controller dimensions are in inches 6.77x3.23x1.65 and in cm 17,2x8,2x4,2 (LxWxH)

Also my bike is this https://whitebikes.com/ax-290-ff-20/b/2461/ and it has Shimano CS-HG31-8, 11-34T cassette. So I was wondering do I go with default set or do I need to get freehub(cassette) version?

E: noticed that I might have freehub(casette) so I can't get that 1000W option then because it doesn't have casette version.

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 35846
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by dogman dan » Sep 14 2020 7:13am

Well, that cassette issue is one of the reasons I've said a thousand times, don't electrify your favorite bike. Mainly, if a bike rides that beautiful, it might be best to keep it that way. You may still want to ride a light, sleek, wonderful bike on a beautiful weekend day.

lots of much cheaper bikes make great e bikes, such as entry level steel framed hard tail mountain bikes with 7 rear gears. Those accept the 7 speed motor wheels easy. The other option is still pretty simple, just replace the shifter on your bike for a 7 speed one, or an old school friction shifter.

Bear in mind, the way you describe wanting to ride, you will only ever use one gear, the highest one you have. You could fix that thing in high gear, and throw away your shifter. And you likely will start wanting a new crank, like one with 48 teeth on the front gear.

In short, it starts to really make sense to stop thinking convert your favorite bike, and just look for a perfect bike to convert. It may shock you to find that one of the best bikes to convert for a commuter, is a 7 speed beach cruiser. Heavy pig yes, but it will not use as much more watts than a light bike to cruise 25 mph as you think. Nice comfortable riding position, affordable, and again, you only need 7th gear anyway. You never feel its weight when you are pushing 800w into that motor. When its wet, you will love the big fenders. Ideally buy one with the rear rack welded in as part of the frame. Load up those panniers with the stuff you need to commute, and groceries on the way home.

If you really want to convert that bike, then one option that may make more sense is a more expensive mid drive.

Re waterproofing, one trick I like to use is mount that controller close to the back of the seat. All your plugs tuck under the seat, and your ass hangs out enough to keep the controller dry while you are moving. bag the seat to park in the rain.

More expensive kits are out there, with much better waterproofing than that cheap one. Starting with a better sealed controller box, and waterproof higo type plugs.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 14 2020 8:03am

dogman dan wrote:
Sep 14 2020 7:13am
Well, that cassette issue is one of the reasons I've said a thousand times, don't electrify your favorite bike. Mainly, if a bike rides that beautiful, it might be best to keep it that way. You may still want to ride a light, sleek, wonderful bike on a beautiful weekend day.

lots of much cheaper bikes make great e bikes, such as entry level steel framed hard tail mountain bikes with 7 rear gears. Those accept the 7 speed motor wheels easy. The other option is still pretty simple, just replace the shifter on your bike for a 7 speed one, or an old school friction shifter.

Bear in mind, the way you describe wanting to ride, you will only ever use one gear, the highest one you have. You could fix that thing in high gear, and throw away your shifter. And you likely will start wanting a new crank, like one with 48 teeth on the front gear.

In short, it starts to really make sense to stop thinking convert your favorite bike, and just look for a perfect bike to convert. It may shock you to find that one of the best bikes to convert for a commuter, is a 7 speed beach cruiser. Heavy pig yes, but it will not use as much more watts than a light bike to cruise 25 mph as you think. Nice comfortable riding position, affordable, and again, you only need 7th gear anyway. You never feel its weight when you are pushing 800w into that motor. When its wet, you will love the big fenders. Ideally buy one with the rear rack welded in as part of the frame. Load up those panniers with the stuff you need to commute, and groceries on the way home.

If you really want to convert that bike, then one option that may make more sense is a more expensive mid drive.

Re waterproofing, one trick I like to use is mount that controller close to the back of the seat. All your plugs tuck under the seat, and your ass hangs out enough to keep the controller dry while you are moving. bag the seat to park in the rain.

More expensive kits are out there, with much better waterproofing than that cheap one. Starting with a better sealed controller box, and waterproof higo type plugs.
Yeah I'll think about that mid drive option also. I'd want to just stay in 500€(595$) range. Seems like my options are going with mid drive or that 500W kit. Also I'm pedalling myself a bit so 500W could be ok? Both these 500W kits seems to have waterproof higo type plugs. I weight 80kg(176lbs). Di some research also and MXUS is XF15 model and Bafang is SWX02 presumably.

What do you think is Bafang 500W or MXUS 500W better?
Bafang:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916093975.html
MXUS:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html

BBS02 mid drive with only 12Ah battery would be almost 600€(712$).

Or
BBS02 kit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852257691.html 347€(412$)
+
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000772417486.html 19,2Ah 48V Hailong battery 285€(338$)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000772417486.html

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 15 2020 11:16am

dogman dan wrote:
Sep 14 2020 7:13am
Well, that cassette issue is one of the reasons I've said a thousand times, don't electrify your favorite bike. Mainly, if a bike rides that beautiful, it might be best to keep it that way. You may still want to ride a light, sleek, wonderful bike on a beautiful weekend day.

lots of much cheaper bikes make great e bikes, such as entry level steel framed hard tail mountain bikes with 7 rear gears. Those accept the 7 speed motor wheels easy. The other option is still pretty simple, just replace the shifter on your bike for a 7 speed one, or an old school friction shifter.

Bear in mind, the way you describe wanting to ride, you will only ever use one gear, the highest one you have. You could fix that thing in high gear, and throw away your shifter. And you likely will start wanting a new crank, like one with 48 teeth on the front gear.

In short, it starts to really make sense to stop thinking convert your favorite bike, and just look for a perfect bike to convert. It may shock you to find that one of the best bikes to convert for a commuter, is a 7 speed beach cruiser. Heavy pig yes, but it will not use as much more watts than a light bike to cruise 25 mph as you think. Nice comfortable riding position, affordable, and again, you only need 7th gear anyway. You never feel its weight when you are pushing 800w into that motor. When its wet, you will love the big fenders. Ideally buy one with the rear rack welded in as part of the frame. Load up those panniers with the stuff you need to commute, and groceries on the way home.

If you really want to convert that bike, then one option that may make more sense is a more expensive mid drive.

Re waterproofing, one trick I like to use is mount that controller close to the back of the seat. All your plugs tuck under the seat, and your ass hangs out enough to keep the controller dry while you are moving. bag the seat to park in the rain.

More expensive kits are out there, with much better waterproofing than that cheap one. Starting with a better sealed controller box, and waterproof higo type plugs.
I think I'll go with the 500W kit after all. What do you think about which is better Bafang SWX02 or MXUS XF15R. Using this https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html seems like I can expect 50km/h top speeds throttle only.

Bafang:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916093975.html
MXUS:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html

Limbs   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 03 2020 4:11pm

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Limbs » Sep 15 2020 2:21pm

I recently bought one of these 48v 500W kits: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296817 ... 4c4duCgDqC

I run it with a 52v battery and it will do 22mph on the flat, without pedalling (I weight 65kg), if I pedal reasonably gently it will do around 25/26 mph. Whilst it is a 500w kit, it pulls a maximum of 17 amps, so around 850 watts. Wheel in the air max speed 31 mph.

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9934
Joined: Jan 10 2010 1:40pm
Location: Dana Point So. Cal

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by 999zip999 » Sep 15 2020 2:31pm

36 y 48 ok 52 better.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 15 2020 4:49pm

Limbs wrote:
Sep 15 2020 2:21pm
I recently bought one of these 48v 500W kits: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296817 ... 4c4duCgDqC

I run it with a 52v battery and it will do 22mph on the flat, without pedalling (I weight 65kg), if I pedal reasonably gently it will do around 25/26 mph. Whilst it is a 500w kit, it pulls a maximum of 17 amps, so around 850 watts. Wheel in the air max speed 31 mph.
Sounds ok to me. I heard MXUS hub could be a bit faster and it can go up to 1200 watts if I remember correctly.
999zip999 wrote:
Sep 15 2020 2:31pm
36 y 48 ok 52 better.
I think 48V is the only option.

Limbs   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 03 2020 4:11pm

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Limbs » Sep 15 2020 5:24pm

Laissez wrote:
Sep 15 2020 4:49pm
Limbs wrote:
Sep 15 2020 2:21pm
I recently bought one of these 48v 500W kits: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296817 ... 4c4duCgDqC

I run it with a 52v battery and it will do 22mph on the flat, without pedalling (I weight 65kg), if I pedal reasonably gently it will do around 25/26 mph. Whilst it is a 500w kit, it pulls a maximum of 17 amps, so around 850 watts. Wheel in the air max speed 31 mph.
Sounds ok to me. I heard MXUS hub could be a bit faster and it can go up to 1200 watts if I remember correctly.
The maximum current depends on the controller.
Laissez wrote:
Sep 15 2020 4:49pm
999zip999 wrote:
Sep 15 2020 2:31pm
36 y 48 ok 52 better.
I think 48V is the only option.
Most 48v controllers will run happily @ 52v, just buy a 52v battery separately.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 15 2020 5:58pm

Limbs wrote:
Sep 15 2020 5:24pm
Laissez wrote:
Sep 15 2020 4:49pm
Limbs wrote:
Sep 15 2020 2:21pm
I recently bought one of these 48v 500W kits: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296817 ... 4c4duCgDqC

I run it with a 52v battery and it will do 22mph on the flat, without pedalling (I weight 65kg), if I pedal reasonably gently it will do around 25/26 mph. Whilst it is a 500w kit, it pulls a maximum of 17 amps, so around 850 watts. Wheel in the air max speed 31 mph.
Sounds ok to me. I heard MXUS hub could be a bit faster and it can go up to 1200 watts if I remember correctly.
The maximum current depends on the controller.
Laissez wrote:
Sep 15 2020 4:49pm
999zip999 wrote:
Sep 15 2020 2:31pm
36 y 48 ok 52 better.
I think 48V is the only option.
Most 48v controllers will run happily @ 52v, just buy a 52v battery separately.
MXUS kit has 52V battery: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html so it would be better choice?

Limbs   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 03 2020 4:11pm

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Limbs » Sep 15 2020 6:21pm

Laissez wrote:
Sep 15 2020 5:58pm

MXUS kit has 52V battery: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html so it would be better choice?
Perfect! Basically a 52v battery will make it run nearly 8% faster; if you ignore wind resistance and other drag.

It states that the controller is rated @ 22 +/- 1 amp, so it will draw max of around 1150 watts.

Make sure you consider all of the options for brake switches, PAS and battery charger etc. Standard charger is 2 amp, so would take around 11-12 hours to charge the 19ah battery.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 15 2020 6:26pm

Limbs wrote:
Sep 15 2020 6:21pm
Laissez wrote:
Sep 15 2020 5:58pm

MXUS kit has 52V battery: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html so it would be better choice?
Perfect! Basically a 52v battery will make it run nearly 8% faster; if you ignore wind resistance and other drag.

It states that the controller is rated @ 22 +/- 1 amp, so it will draw max of around 1150 watts.

Make sure you consider all of the options for brake switches, PAS and battery charger etc. Standard charger is 2 amp, so would take around 11-12 hours to charge the 19ah battery.
Thank you, I'll order 52V 19Ah casette motor version of it! I'll think about that 4 amp charger but 19 Ah is so plenty of battery that not sure if I need faster charger.

Limbs   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 03 2020 4:11pm

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Limbs » Sep 15 2020 6:59pm

Laissez wrote:
Sep 15 2020 6:26pm

Thank you, I'll order 52V 19Ah casette motor version of it! I'll think about that 4 amp charger but 19 Ah is so plenty of battery that not sure if I need faster charger.
No problem. The battery will only take that long to charge from empty, but don't forget, at that price, the will only be Chinese cells, so will be unlikely to provide the specified capacity.

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9934
Joined: Jan 10 2010 1:40pm
Location: Dana Point So. Cal

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by 999zip999 » Sep 16 2020 1:06pm

Better battery makers will proudly tell what brand and model number of cells that use inside their pack if not expect a cheap Chinese generic cell.

User avatar
E-HP   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1935
Joined: Nov 01 2018 9:20pm

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by E-HP » Sep 16 2020 2:06pm

999zip999 wrote:
Sep 16 2020 1:06pm
Better battery makers will proudly tell what brand and model number of cells that use inside their pack if not expect a cheap Chinese generic cell.
And the shady ones will proudly tell you they use brand name cells, while using generic cells. However, if the seller doesn't specify brand name cells, it seems like that would always indicate generic cells.

Tommm   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1165
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Tommm » Sep 16 2020 2:47pm

999zip999 wrote:
Sep 16 2020 1:06pm
Better battery makers will proudly tell what brand and model number of cells that use inside their pack if not expect a cheap Chinese generic cell.
The are liitokala 48s 4800mah 21700. Since liitokala are re-wrap city, the closest one to these specs are lower grade samsung 48g-s.

If they used brand name cells the price would be way beyond too good to be true category.
Laissez wrote:
Sep 13 2020 5:35am
So I'm planning to get geared hub motor and my tyre size is 45-622. I was wondering which one should I get and what kind of top speed I could expect out of these two? I was hoping at least 40km/h(25mp/h) speeds. Going to use it to commute and joy ride on paved roads mostly. No hills past 6% in my area.
I have ordered the 48v1000w kit. According to your needs, the 48v1000w motor is the wrong motor for your bike. Full stop. The 500w motor has a 1000w (48v 22a)controller, well enough for 40kph. Even better if you can pedal. It supports a cassette hub where the other is freewheel tech. It is a lighter, better looking motor and you don't need a huge external controller. You don't have hills so you have no need for a geared motor in the first place. Geared motors have a bit less efficiency and a bit worse reliability because of the moving parts.
Even if you did get the 1000w motor, the 52v battery is the wrong choice. Just look at the weight. 48v is 6.2kg, 52v is 5.5kg. You get far less cells since you are missing a parallel bank. You will be missing 15% range and will get much more battery sag. The cells are unlikely to be rated even 10a max, but you will be drawing 10a+resistance losses from them, with the 48v battery, each cells sees 8a max.

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9934
Joined: Jan 10 2010 1:40pm
Location: Dana Point So. Cal

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by 999zip999 » Sep 16 2020 3:59pm

Remember this is your first ebike meaning there's more in the future so go get your feet wet.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 17 2020 3:31am

Tommm wrote:
Sep 16 2020 2:47pm
999zip999 wrote:
Sep 16 2020 1:06pm
Better battery makers will proudly tell what brand and model number of cells that use inside their pack if not expect a cheap Chinese generic cell.
The are liitokala 48s 4800mah 21700. Since liitokala are re-wrap city, the closest one to these specs are lower grade samsung 48g-s.

If they used brand name cells the price would be way beyond too good to be true category.
Laissez wrote:
Sep 13 2020 5:35am
So I'm planning to get geared hub motor and my tyre size is 45-622. I was wondering which one should I get and what kind of top speed I could expect out of these two? I was hoping at least 40km/h(25mp/h) speeds. Going to use it to commute and joy ride on paved roads mostly. No hills past 6% in my area.
I have ordered the 48v1000w kit. According to your needs, the 48v1000w motor is the wrong motor for your bike. Full stop. The 500w motor has a 1000w (48v 22a)controller, well enough for 40kph. Even better if you can pedal. It supports a cassette hub where the other is freewheel tech. It is a lighter, better looking motor and you don't need a huge external controller. You don't have hills so you have no need for a geared motor in the first place. Geared motors have a bit less efficiency and a bit worse reliability because of the moving parts.
Even if you did get the 1000w motor, the 52v battery is the wrong choice. Just look at the weight. 48v is 6.2kg, 52v is 5.5kg. You get far less cells since you are missing a parallel bank. You will be missing 15% range and will get much more battery sag. The cells are unlikely to be rated even 10a max, but you will be drawing 10a+resistance losses from them, with the 48v battery, each cells sees 8a max.
Yep dismissed the idea of 1000W motor because it doesn't have casette option. You bought your kit from Chamrider? Atm looking at Bafang or MXUS 500W options. These look really nice because the controller is integrated to the battery and waterproof connectors. MXUS has 52V option for that so it was tempting but after what you told me about 52V I'm reconsidering. 52V 19,2Ah is 14S4P 48V 24Ah is 13S5P. Bafang: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916093975.html MXUS: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html

Also I got a tip that you could get kits cheaper directly from MXUS in Alibaba. So I sent them message about this XF19C kit: https://ebikemotor.en.alibaba.com/produ ... r_kit.html
999zip999 wrote:
Sep 16 2020 3:59pm
Remember this is your first ebike meaning there's more in the future so go get your feet wet.
Yeah sure, I've learned a lot from here so I'm more confident what to buy.

Tommm   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1165
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Tommm » Sep 17 2020 4:02am

Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 3:31am

Also I got a tip that you could get kits cheaper directly from MXUS in Alibaba. So I sent them message about this XF19C kit: https://ebikemotor.en.alibaba.com/produ ... r_kit.html
About the alibaba.
1, The 500w motor has a cassette version, the 1000w motor has only threaded freewheel version.
The connector for sure is different for the 1000w (stronger) but the total weight isn't much different.
2, The chamrider aliexpress kits are free ship and free tax. The aliexpress kits probably aren't!

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 17 2020 4:20am

Tommm wrote:
Sep 17 2020 4:02am
Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 3:31am

Also I got a tip that you could get kits cheaper directly from MXUS in Alibaba. So I sent them message about this XF19C kit: https://ebikemotor.en.alibaba.com/produ ... r_kit.html
About the alibaba.
1, The 500w motor has a cassette version, the 1000w motor has only threaded freewheel version.
The connector for sure is different for the 1000w (stronger) but the total weight isn't much different.
2, The chamrider aliexpress kits are free ship and free tax. The aliexpress kits probably aren't!
Yep the alibab kit is Xf19C (c for casette) and the aliexpress one is Xf15C. Even though they both are rated as 500W I think XF19 is a bit more powerful? I'll order the kit on friday anyways and probably from Chamrider in Aliexpress.

Controller has this light connector, what kind of light goes with it? Tried to look some ebike lights and didn't find anything with connector like in the controller.
Image

Tommm   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1165
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Tommm » Sep 17 2020 4:55am

Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 4:20am
Tommm wrote:
Sep 17 2020 4:02am
Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 3:31am

Also I got a tip that you could get kits cheaper directly from MXUS in Alibaba. So I sent them message about this XF19C kit: https://ebikemotor.en.alibaba.com/produ ... r_kit.html
About the alibaba.
1, The 500w motor has a cassette version, the 1000w motor has only threaded freewheel version.
The connector for sure is different for the 1000w (stronger) but the total weight isn't much different.
2, The chamrider aliexpress kits are free ship and free tax. The aliexpress kits probably aren't!
Yep the alibab kit is Xf19C (c for casette) and the aliexpress one is Xf15C. Even though they both are rated as 500W I think XF19 is a bit more powerful? I'll order the kit on friday anyways and probably from Chamrider in Aliexpress.

Controller has this light connector, what kind of light goes with it? Tried to look some ebike lights and didn't find anything with connector like in the controller.
Image
Xf19 and xf15 are both geared. There is no point getting a heavy and de-rated xf19 500w motor with anemic wires.
The tiny one you linked at the initial post is much better for your use.
You do not need a geared motor though, so I would suggest looking at the 500w non geared kits they have.

That connector is called a higo, usually nothing ordered from china is standardised and waterproof connectors cost money so I would be very surprised if a light did have higo.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 17 2020 6:18am

Tommm wrote:
Sep 17 2020 4:55am
Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 4:20am
Tommm wrote:
Sep 17 2020 4:02am
Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 3:31am

Also I got a tip that you could get kits cheaper directly from MXUS in Alibaba. So I sent them message about this XF19C kit: https://ebikemotor.en.alibaba.com/produ ... r_kit.html
About the alibaba.
1, The 500w motor has a cassette version, the 1000w motor has only threaded freewheel version.
The connector for sure is different for the 1000w (stronger) but the total weight isn't much different.
2, The chamrider aliexpress kits are free ship and free tax. The aliexpress kits probably aren't!
Yep the alibab kit is Xf19C (c for casette) and the aliexpress one is Xf15C. Even though they both are rated as 500W I think XF19 is a bit more powerful? I'll order the kit on friday anyways and probably from Chamrider in Aliexpress.

Controller has this light connector, what kind of light goes with it? Tried to look some ebike lights and didn't find anything with connector like in the controller.
Image
Xf19 and xf15 are both geared. There is no point getting a heavy and de-rated xf19 500w motor with anemic wires.
The tiny one you linked at the initial post is much better for your use.
You do not need a geared motor though, so I would suggest looking at the 500w non geared kits they have.

That connector is called a higo, usually nothing ordered from china is standardised and waterproof connectors cost money so I would be very surprised if a light did have higo.
I was looking at geared motors for their smaller size, lighter weight and better hill climb for occasional climbing. Most direct drives i've seen are huge plates. Also their dd sets doesn't have waterproof connectors and battery integrated controller. Chamrider 500W MXUS XF15C has 52V 19,2Ah is 14S4P / 48V 24Ah is 13S5P battery options. Is the 48V option better as you stated with the 1000W kit?

When looking more Chamrider listings they sell XF19 waterproof kit. It seems that XF15 is rated 350W-500W and XF19 500-750W. This kit doesn't have battery included though so you need to buy it seperately.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000195765185.html


Also here are their direct drive listings. 1000W is not waterproof and 500W is:
1000W: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32817059298.html
500W waterproof: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32986173405.html

Tommm   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1165
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Tommm » Sep 17 2020 7:34am

Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 6:18am
I was looking at geared motors for their smaller size, lighter weight and better hill climb for occasional climbing. Most direct drives i've seen are huge plates. Also their dd sets doesn't have waterproof connectors and battery integrated controller. Chamrider 500W MXUS XF15C has 52V 19,2Ah is 14S4P / 48V 24Ah is 13S5P battery options. Is the 48V option better as you stated with the 1000W kit?
Yea, it looks like the xf15c will be your best bet. The 48v is better just by looking at cell type being the same and getting 0.7kg extra pure cell weight. Have you heard anyone say I wish I had less range?
Don't bother with the charger upgrade, you can get a 5a pink metal charger for the price of the upgrade alone.
I would pick up a set of cogs though.
https://aliexpress.com/item/32830428964.html

Supposedly I am getting the xf19 on monday... I have plans look at machining the cogs of metal, and welding the clutch shut so I have regen.

Laissez   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 13 2020 4:58am

Re: 48V 500W vs 48V 1000W geared hub motor?

Post by Laissez » Sep 17 2020 7:47am

Tommm wrote:
Sep 17 2020 7:34am
Laissez wrote:
Sep 17 2020 6:18am
I was looking at geared motors for their smaller size, lighter weight and better hill climb for occasional climbing. Most direct drives i've seen are huge plates. Also their dd sets doesn't have waterproof connectors and battery integrated controller. Chamrider 500W MXUS XF15C has 52V 19,2Ah is 14S4P / 48V 24Ah is 13S5P battery options. Is the 48V option better as you stated with the 1000W kit?
Yea, it looks like the xf15c will be your best bet. The 48v is better just by looking at cell type being the same and getting 0.7kg extra pure cell weight. Have you heard anyone say I wish I had less range?
Don't bother with the charger upgrade, you can get a 5a pink metal charger for the price of the upgrade alone.
I would pick up a set of cogs though.
https://aliexpress.com/item/32830428964.html
Yep overall that xf15c kit looks like the best. Thanks for your tips and help. I'll post here when the kit arrives.

Post Reply