Just had an earthquake in Los Angeles

e-beach said:
On the other hand, if the epicenter is far away then you feel a rocking and/or swaying motion much like sitting in a small boat when the wake of a larger boat swells under you. Depending on how large the quake is sometimes it is fun, sometimes worrisome.
i forget which quake it was in california, maybe northridge, but back in the 90s i was sitting here in phoenix az at my computer, which was built into a rolling (300lb) rackmount tower on bakelite wheels on a linoleum floor, and i was on a rolling/spinning tall computer chair. i felt a sort of vertigo, for a few seconds, and realized it was that both i and the tower had moved, relative to each other and the room--not much, probably millimeters...but my brain was telling me "it shouldn't have happened at all".

my oldest sister had been asleep on a rolling couch in the living room (also a linoleum floor), and she fell off the couch and woke up (i assume she was already on the edge of it or something) at the same moment.

some time later i found out it was a big earthquake in california, and that it had actually done damage even here, with cracked driveways and other such things---nothing like at the epicenter or nearby, but that it did anything at all this far away captured my mind, and i've spent time ever since then soaking up what i can find about earthquakes, tectonics, vulcanism, etc., and related topics.

Yes, that would be the Northridge 1994 quake. It was a deadly quake, but caused a lot of monetary damage as well.

The fingers said:
https://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Quakes/ci39394672.html
Epicenter 5 miles away from here. I was on the way home. Wife described it as a rolling motion.

From earthquake tracker:
about 14 hours ago 3.3 magnitude, 16 km depth
Valle Vista, California, United States

That was pretty close to my daughter's place. It got her attention for sure. Lots of aftershocks. 4.2 is not that big but when it's real close if feels pretty strong.

English needs 2 words like in spanish. 4.2 is just a bit of a wiggle, which we call a "tremblor", like the 4.4 we had off the pacific coast yesterday. AFAIC the small ones like that the more the better, so pressure is being released. The word for the big ones we don't want is "terremoto". To me the two words are much more descriptive.

In California we call a big one---

---Wait for it---

---A BIG ONE!

Somewhere before a 7.0, definitely over a 6.5.

So at the store this guy was going on about wake nv up to multiple car alarms, grabbing a bat and running outside. "No broken windows, he must have been trying the doors real haaasrxd!'

"Uh, dude, that was the earthquake."

"Huh uh, there wasn't an earthquake. . . ."

"multiple car alarms, grabbing a bat and running outside."

I would be like steal it already, seriously. Different mentality in Cali, crime ridden no doubt. The bum situation gives it all a different perspective. What a way to live, like the conceal carry people, scared.

markz said:
How many earthquakes happen in Californi.......

Yep, but it is the ones that you feel that concern you. And yes, a 4.2 isn't a "Big One". But if the epicenter is under your house, and you feel like you are going up and down like a jack hammer, then concern deepens.

Woke me up......went back to sleep.

Magnitude 4.6 - moment magnitude (Mw)
Time Friday, September 18, 2020 at 11:38:46 PM (PDT)
Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 6:38:46 (UTC)
Distance from South El Monte, CA - 3 km (2 miles) WSW (250 degrees)
Montebello, CA - 4 km (3 miles) NNE (33 degrees)
Rosemead, CA - 4 km (3 miles) S (189 degrees)
Monterey Park, CA - 5 km (3 miles) ESE (120 degrees)
San Gabriel, CA - 6 km (4 miles) SSE (159 degrees)
Coordinates 34 deg. 2.5 min. N (34.042N), 118 deg. 4.8 min. W (118.080W)
Depth 17.6 km (10.9 miles)
Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst=96, Nph=111, Dmin=7.7 km, Rmss=0.22 sec, Erho=0.3 km, Erzz=0.53 km, Gp=32 degrees
Event ID# ci38695658
Additional Information map || waveforms
Did You Feel It?
Moment Tensor Solutions
Waveforms

Felt iy in the "OC", then back to sleep. At first it seemed to be increasing in scope, but subsided rapidly.

Back