Best grease for CYCLONE gearbox.

sviatpizdat

10 mW
Hello, friends! What grease are you recommend to use in gearbox ? I have metal gears. (cyclone mini 1680w)

I have literally just bought a tube of mobilith shc 100 to pack into a cyclone 1680 that I’m rebuilding. Will report back.

It had slowed down a bit and was getting noisy so I did a tear down, found the old gear teeth had worn to sharp points and the old grease had turned into glue.

I’ve replaced the planet bearings and metal gears (which I’ve lightly sanded to remove any burrs) and will be reassembling within the next week or so.

The motor feels awesomely solid and well built, everything fits snugly and the motor part looks brand new despite 1000s of km...

sviatpizdat said:
Hello, friends! What grease are you recommend to use in gearbox ? I have metal gears. (cyclone mini 1680w)

Me? I'd use CV joint lube.

electric_nz said:
I have literally just bought a tube of mobilith shc 100 to pack into a cyclone 1680 that I’m rebuilding. Will report back.

It had slowed down a bit and was getting noisy so I did a tear down, found the old gear teeth had worn to sharp points and the old grease had turned into glue.

I’ve replaced the planet bearings and metal gears (which I’ve lightly sanded to remove any burrs) and will be reassembling within the next week or so.

The motor feels awesomely solid and well built, everything fits snugly and the motor part looks brand new despite 1000s of km...

Which bearings are used in gearbox?(type, size?)

You ordered new metal gears from Taiwan?

Plain old 608z shielded bearings picked them up locally for a few dollars each. Gears can be bought from cyclone-tw site, Paco will combine shipping if you buy a few items.

Ok so I think I’ve found why these things are so noisy.

They have 3 planetary gears which sit between two steel plates. The bearings are fixed by spacers but the gears are ‘floating’ on the bearing outers, and can rub on the planet carrier and/or output shaft carrier which I suspect causes a lot of the noise. I’ve done the old mechanic trick of putting a few centre punch marks on the internal bore of the gears so they need to be pressed on to the bearings; and with a little tweaking they are now fixed on the bearings with a decent gap between the gears and the carrier plates.

Now to reassemble!

https://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/cyclone_motor/mediafiles/l42.jpg

electric_nz said:

Hello!
Why mobilith shc 100 instead of shc 220 ? shc220 has more suitable speed and temperature parameters.

Well an update on this, with new grease planet gears and bearings the motor is certainly not much if any quieter, although there is less discordant screeching and more of just a high pitched gear whine, which is tolerable. Subtle it is not- sounds like a formula one car.

Feels much the same power wise although didn’t get much of a ride due to chain issues and battery charger dying.

Hope to bed it in over the next few weeks and see if it quietens down any more as the gears and grease settle a bit.

aCeMadMod said:
Don't use gesse..use oil mod it...

Just pour atf oil and plug up the vent screw hole?

I did just that, filled through the vent hole with a syringe with cvt fluid and plugged up the holes with screws. Took about 200ml. I did open the gear box and clean out as much grease as I could with a towel before adding oil.

After a few hard runs I noticed the noise has quiet down ALOT. No more loud screeching noise, but still a lot louder than bbshd, or tsdz.

I’d say oil bath is a success. Now if we can find some nylon gears then it’ll be even quieter.

aCeMadMod said:
nylon gears only way take down the sound
for 1680 watt motor

i use 2 nylon gears 1 steel one

cyclone dose not sell them i got from a other users here

Hi all
Is the atf oil ok for nylon
Are the nylon gears still available

Don't be too shocked if you can't eliminate a substantial amount of noise, as it's the main drawback to planetary setups - aside from taking up space and weighing more! My Vectrix sounds like a banshee, and lots of people have tried to fix that with their VX-1s, and failed.

Wonder what the dimensions are? I’ve seen a lot of planetary gears on AliExpress in nylon in various dimensions.

aCeMadMod said:
nylon gears only way take down the sound
for 1680 watt motor

i use 2 nylon gears 1 steel one

cyclone dose not sell them i got from a other users here

LeftieBiker said:
Don't be too shocked if you can't eliminate a substantial amount of noise, as it's the main drawback to planetary setups - aside from taking up space and weighing more! My Vectrix sounds like a banshee, and lots of people have tried to fix that with their VX-1s, and failed.

Protip: noise insulation works best on higher frequency sounds. So with very little of it, you could quiet a drive like this down.

Mobilgrease 28 may be ideal for this motor. It's recommended for use in geared motors with nylon gears, but should work fine with a metal geared application.

Another thing to consider is chainsaw bar and chain lube. I have a Bafang Ultra that melted its plastic gear and I installed a metal one. Not having any suitable grease, I tried the chain bar oil. This oil resembles motor oil, but has additives that make it stick to the metal and not fling off at speed. It worked well in the Ultra but I still had an anointing noise from one of the freewheel clutches every time I stopped pedaling. At some point after about 6 months and several hundred miles I took it apart and found the gears still looked wet with oil. I wanted it to be quieter and packed the gears with some grease. This made it immediately louder! Eventually I will take it apart again, clean off the grease and go back to the chainsaw oil.

Back