Shave seat tube???

JeffnAZ

1 W
I'm getting a bike ready for a E build and one of my goals is to get the seat as low as possible. I'm thinking about cutting a little off the top of the seat tube to achieve this. Anyone try this???

Couple pics... was thinking shave just about a quarter inch (6mm) off the top. It should still clamp without cracking anything i think.

IMG_0655 copy.jpg
IMG_0656 copy.jpg
IMG_0659 copy.jpg
IMG_0660 copy.jpg

Thanks for any wisdom.

I did this with no regrets (so far)..
in my case used a bit larger frame for more battery space and a lower seat to bar height (than I would for a pedal only bike)..

Lol... thanks folks. Thought for sure this idea was going to be criticized. But no. I’m not the only person to think of cutting down a seat tube for a fraction of an inch of adjustment. Awesome.

spinningmagnets said:
I did that years ago, and no cracks have formed. Seat tube still works fine.

Thanks! Did you happen to extend or modify the split on the back of the seat tube that allows the tube to clamp down?

I wanted the seat as low as possible.
Slide the clamp down as low as it would go to mark a half-inch above it.
Remove the clamp
Slide an automotive hose-clamp onto the tube (to where the seat clamp was) to act as a guide for the hacksaw.
Cut the tube at the mark
Cut a slice down the back (angle grinder with a thin blade or Dremel), and it's done.

spinningmagnets said:
I wanted the seat as low as possible...

Thanks! Result is perfect. The hose clamp guide worked great! Removed 5/8" (~16mm). Could have gone lower but I couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in the flag.

Couple pics.

IMG_0660 copy 1.jpg
IMG_0664 copy.jpg

I like that you drilled a hole at the base of the split-cut.

If you didnt, a "stress riser" might develop, and a possible crack might grow in unpredictable directions...

spinningmagnets said:
I like that you drilled a hole at the base of the split-cut.

If you didnt, a "stress riser" might develop, and a possible crack might grow in unpredictable directions...

Thanks... exactly why I drilled it. Your help and interest is much appreciated.

Back