new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shock:
Two controllers 1 for hills and 1 for top speed on flat.

To me it seems you are making things harder for yourself. You want it good for every situation, like you want 4" fat tires for offroad and want 2" tires for normal riding ALL ON THE SAME BIKE!
If your doing it for a hobby or you are doing it to cheap out then your efforts makes sense. Otherwise I dont see the value.

You ever hear the term K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) Keeping it simple and stupid makes for a better experience. Start adding to many things into the mix and it can complicate things.

Yeah a $100 Unite motor is cheap, and its probably a brushed old technology motor, yet you link to brushless controller so I don't know and never paid much attention to the Unite motors such as you link to. They are cheap, but so are lead acid batteries yet ebikers dont use them, yeah some do but lithium is where its at. See what I mean old tech is lead acid battery, lower capacity (70% used ah rating due to devalue of lead acid) vs new tech is lithium, lighter, smaller, more capacity used.

There are two speed hub motors, maybe no big power as I see you link to a 3kw Unite motor. 2wd hub motor is about as complex as I would go, but one bigger power hub motor is not complicating things. Like going for a mxus 5000W hub motor instead of 2xLeaf 1500W hub motors.

K.I.S.S.
(K)eep (I)t (S)imple and (S)tupid
or it might mean
Keep It Simple Stupid, but lets not call anyone stupid. Its just ebike fun :thumb:

For short distance I have four e bikes already running. The slowest goes about 18 to 20 mph. The Currie. The 800 watt hub motor is about the same with 36V. The Giant Roam is very reliable with two hub motors and if one motor were to fail I could still make it home with the second motor. That will do about 23 to 25 mph. The 20' bike with the brushless motor will do about 30 mph @ 42V but need to prove that with a speedo.

The Haro V3 will also be very reliable and great for very long distances with two controllers and two or three battery packs , great up hills at 24V and 1,500 watts and very fast on the straight with 64V - 2,666W and 42 mph. It is the best of both worlds and if I get a variable 48 - 60V controller , I will have a 52 - 48V option for steady 30 to 33 mph cruising on long flat terrain without over heating. That build will be worth every penny I put in to it.

download (1).png

Thanks.

LC. out.

What percentage of your ebike money bags is courtesy of Uncle Sam?

And why would it matter ? By spending that money I stimulate the economy. It puts food on the table for the sellers as well as the bike shops that are slow in the winter that hook up my brakes and pedal chains/gears.

It is a lot better than gambling or doing hard drugs. It is basically like buying a second car (sports car) when you already have a reliable soccer mom van.

Anyway I was thinking about what DA. said about efficiency and hill climbing capability. He may have to admit that with about 80 bucks I could probably climb any steep hill better than anything he is running. I could probably take a steeper and longer hill than he could as at 24V my 1,800W - 3,000 rpm brushless motor would only turn 1,500 RPM with 900 watts behind it so gearing would be

download (7).png

All is needed is a second 22 Ah - SLA and that 39 buck 1,000W 24V brushless controller I posted earlier today. My last post on page
243. There is not really any steep hills though in my area but will look on the map. If anyone knows how to find hills I will shoot a video and post it when I get the 24V controller. I live in Canton Ohio. zip 44703.

Thanks.

LC. out.

4 ebikes :shock:
one for every season :wink:
one for every mood 8)
one for every 2nd day starting Saturday and a Friday bike :?
one for every lady you got on the go on the side :eek:

Basically I have nothing better to do. I hardly even ride anymore. Maybe once a week. I might drive my van a couple times a month.
Right now 1,500 people a day are dying from COVID19. It is worse than it ever was. Most days I just walk about 6 blocks to the grocery store and back and when I go in wear an electric mask and filter with a plastic face shield and carry hand sanitizer in my left top coat pocket.

I may as well have fun building e bikes awhile I can as China is probably working on COVID20 or 21 as we speak. Nobody wants to stop them so in about 2 or 3 years most of us will be 6 feet in the ground, Also if any of our grand children or great grand children are alive in 10 to 20 years they will be speaking Chinese as the Chinese will be over 90% of the human race and will rule the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJukJiNEl4o&fbclid=IwAR0aZkFbEFrXjB-i1YgoaGmzC5Zr75i1Va4gY0h87r_Iest2-MBUcBKzGRg

If you watch the video everything will make sense. China is eliminating millions of people without firing a single bullet. Every person who dies they score a fitness point. Since they need to eliminate about 70% of their population anyway it puts their race way ahead in the future for land and resources. It is defiantly a no brainer. If not stopped they become the master race.

Thanks.

LC. out.

latecurtis said:
Also if any of our grand children or great grand children are alive in 10 to 20 years they will be speaking Chinese as the Chinese will be over 90% of the human race and will rule the planet.

10 and 20 years from now will look the same as now, but more busted.

But in the long run? Latin Americans, dude. They're prolific beyond all reason. They'll keep South and Central America, and add North America to their holdings. And they're fiercely passionate about things. China has long odds against that.

I'm honestly a little excited to see what they'll do with the place, if I live so long.

Latin Americans,

Not sure but think their death rate from COVID19 is higher than African Americans which is very high.

Our only salvation is if an alliance of countries declare war on China and overthrow their evil dictatorship. It may be in our best interests to get Russia on our side as they are close to China and any nuclear weapon launched at China will effect Russia so I say We form an alliance with Russia and after defeating China with NON nuclear weapons we let Russia own 1/2 of China and the USA and it's OTHER allies the other half.

Notice I said OTHER as if we can't get Russia on board as an ally there will still never be world peace even if we defeat China. It should not effect world trade as the current Chinese industry would be 50% Russian and 50% the USA and its other allies.

That should stabilize the planet so that the entire human race can move forward. It is the only way I see that it can work. As long as Russia sticks up for China every other country on the planet is doomed.

Anyway Thanks for posting here Chalo. It has been a long time. I remember you from early on in this post many years ago.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Texas has a lot of Latino's thats for sure. Their taco's are amazing! Plus your so close to the border just a hop skip and a jump away to Mexico. Makes ya wonder, how many Mexicans have ebikes.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Time to get the ol lady a new microwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRm8ZN_IknQ

latecurtis said:
Basically I see voltage different and opposite then DA does in SPECIAL SITUTATIONS. I see a performance upgrade by lowering the voltage. For example if I were to hook up a 10S pack to a 2,750 rpm - 800W 36V motor running a 80T wheel sprocket I get.

file.php

It is noticeably OVERGEARED right ?????

Now hook up an 8S pack or two 4S hard-shell LiPos in series for 666.6 watts and you get
file.php

That should be a noticeable difference up hills.

Clearly, lowering voltage makes a noticeable difference up hills!
Much less power, slower, with prolonged heavier amp draw.

10s vs 8s.jpg

Yea.

That is the bike I passed on with the brush motor.

Post a graph of my 1,800 watt brushless motor at 900 watts and 24V - 1,500 rpm with an 11T motor and 56T spoke sprocket or the 3 killowatt motor at 36V - 1,500 watts and 2,450 rpm with an 11 T motor sprocket and 80T wheel sprocket. The higher wattage motors will have more advantage at lower voltage than the lower power brush motors.

You picked the one of my lowest power brush motor for those graphs. That brush set up I told the guy I gave that bike to order an 89T and unhook the 80T for 24 mph gearing instead of 29 mph. The only motor I own that is of lower power is the 2,500 rpm - 500W - 24V motor which will never work for a wheel larger than 20". I might use it on the front of a 20" bike for

download (10).png

I might hook it up to the 20" blue Dimond Back some time but as far as the motor specs. you just posted DA.
I told the guy I built the bike for that it would run even better at 24V as

download (8).png

Power would be 533 watts for 19 mph gearing vs. 750 watts for 29 mph gearing. Much better up a big hill. However add the 89 tooth instead of the 80 then you do not need to run 24V as

download (9).png

26 mph is not real bad for 800 watts.

However I do not see a lot of hills around here to amount to anything. My 1,800 watt brushless motor at 1,500 watts and 29 mph gearing is perfect for the little hills around here. I have plenty of acceleration and a decent top speed. I really do not need to run any other voltage but 42 - 36V for that motor. It is a 20" bike with a 230 pound person riding it. I ordered the 1,500 watt controller on purpose as limiting the top speed to < 30 mph is safer and gives me an excuse to build the Haro V3 to do 40+ mph. :twisted:

My theory still holds up though as a 72V - 3 kilowatt motor geared for 47 mph @ 3 kilowatts will run better at 64V , 42 mph gearing and 2,666 watts. Also 64V or 16S LiPo or LiOn is easier than dealing with 72+ V. Four - 4S LiPo will do the trick.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Please do post up some video's and of course never hesitate to post pictures. "Tis the season, the more the merrier :thumb:

latecurtis said:
I will have more proof that my builds are solid when I shoot some videos. Everything I do is slow and steady. I do not rush any builds any more. I still might get that 1,000 watt hub motor back together eventually.

Line your drilled holes in the metal case with rubber grommets. I managed to short out a small pack when the wires scraped across the unprotected drilled hole edges.

yea.

I melted alligator clips right in to the plastic of an SLA battery going up a steep hill. I also shot a video of a controller on fire way back when I started this post.

I was going to today but had some other things to do. Maybe tomorrow.

LC is Mr. Money Bags!

Not really. I am way over budget for this month. I might just wait until the first of the year before another build. Also am not sure I am wanting to do another chain drive then either. I am very happy with the small 500 watt GEARED e bike ling motors so might buy a BMC or a MAC. They handle a lot more power than the e bikeling motors and some will go about 40 mph with 64V or 16S packs.

By the time I order the 3 kilowatt motor , controller and custom sprocket I am well over half way the cost of a 2 kilowatt capable GEARED hub motor. DAN mentioned that there is no parts for the e bikeling motors so the conditions are simple. 40 mph capable with 16S batteries and must be able to order any parts in the future as when paying over 300 bucks for a motor and controller I want to be sure I get at least 10 years out of it or more.

Thanks.

LC. out.

latecurtis said:
Basically I have nothing better to do. I hardly even ride anymore. Maybe once a week. I might drive my van a couple times a month.
Right now 1,500 people a day are dying from COVID19. It is worse than it ever was. Most days I just walk about 6 blocks to the grocery store and back and when I go in wear an electric mask and filter with a plastic face shield and carry hand sanitizer in my left top coat pocket.

I may as well have fun building e bikes awhile I can as China is probably working on COVID20 or 21 as we speak. Nobody wants to stop them so in about 2 or 3 years most of us will be 6 feet in the ground, Also if any of our grand children or great grand children are alive in 10 to 20 years they will be speaking Chinese as the Chinese will be over 90% of the human race and will rule the planet.

If you watch the video everything will make sense. China is eliminating millions of people without firing a single bullet. Every person who dies they score a fitness point. Since they need to eliminate about 70% of their population anyway it puts their race way ahead in the future for land and resources. It is defiantly a no brainer. If not stopped they become the master race.

Thanks.

LC. out.
China is excelling due to strong central planning, with a cooperative philosophy rather than the infighting and oft destructive competitive bent displayed by the USA.

The advantage stands clear in their Covid response!
With little forewarning or prep time, they pretty much squashed their epidemic with barely 80,000 cases/ 4000 deaths. Compare to the US with months of forewarning and prep time with more than 13,506,766 lotal cases and more than 270,000 deaths, and those numbers are accelerating, running rampant - unrestrained! On track to exceed the US death total of the 1918 pandemic!
The lack of any central planning or organization failed miserably with States being told to fend for themselves - fight against each other!

Compare to Canada, with responsible (competent) central government.
Their entire country has about the same infection\death statistics as our State of Pennsylvania.

Compare to Canada, with responsible (competent) central government.
Their entire country has about the same infection\death statistics as our State of Pennsylvania.

My grandfather on my fathers side was from Canada. My father used to take my half brothers and sister there about once a year. I am related to a whole island there and with what is happening here would love to go there. I was unable to go in the past due to not being able to get a pass port due to a felony conviction which involved fire arms.

Not sure if they would give me a pass post today but read something stating I could still collect dis ability from here and live there. I am really sick of this country. The lack of leader ship and civil unrest is most un settling.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Don't feel persecuted, Canada isn't allowing any US visitors!
Heard rumors about them building a border wall?

SUNP0030.JPG

I am looking for a motor for that.

I just put my best 26" tires and wheels on it.

I am hoping to order a motor for it for Christmas.

That build MUST go 40 mph.

Thanks.

LC. out.

There have been biggly ceo's that were allowed to enter and not quarantine. Everyone else has to obey the rules, but big corporations are allowed to slide, even with stores being open during covid lockdowns. Walmart can stay open, but small stores with better safety measures have to be shut down.

DrkAngel said:
Don't feel persecuted, Canada isn't allowing any US visitors!
Heard rumors about them building a border wall?

I think I found two motors for that. One on the back and one on the front. It will be less money than a brushless motor kit as an extra freewheel sprocket will be about 25 bucks vs spending about 350 bucks for a big 48V or 60V pack/packs to power that high voltage brushless motor.

I can use my 10P - 36V pack for one motor and my 8P - 36V pack for the second or even hook up both 36V packs in parallel for a 18P - 10S pack. 42 - 36V.

2,000 watts total and 40+ mph.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-DC-Electric-Motor-E-Scooter-1000W-TY1020-3000RPM-f-Bike-go-kart-minibike/264716196543?hash=item3da2509abf:g:k88AAOSwqmJfVtg~

download (14).png

download (15).png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-48V-DC-Electric-eATV-Quad-GoKart-Motor-DIY-Gear-Reduction-w-Mounting/372801152361?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3D217960a6fee3413b85358a45634a8a0a%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D392715072404%26itm%3D372801152361%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

download (16).png

That is a little more money but will save money on the wheel sprockets. If I can find a large enough motor sprocket I might be able to run a 24 tooth freewheel and not need the bolt on sprocket.

download (17).png

Thanks.

LC. out.

Well that one picture shows free shipping, a heavy motor like that has got to take up a big chunk of the cost of the item.
Seems to good to be true, and of course the pics dont show the buyer, its sales or rating.

The Currie E zip Trailz has had three motors on it. the original 24V - 450 watt gear reduction motor it came with. I burned that out going up a hill.

Then there was a 1,000W - 3,000 rpm MY1020 motor and it currently has a 36V - 750 watt 480 rpm gear reduction motor on it. I don't remember how much it was as it was a few years ago but don't think it was much more.

The 36V - 1,000 watt motor is better as it is 36V and won't need to spend money on a large battery pack.

I have some serious decisions to make before Thursday the 3rd when I get my money.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back