QS205 rim and RCP2S 265mm 750lb

Darren2018

100 W
Does anyone know of a strong 18x1.85 or 18x2.15 that is not too expensive and is available from the UK? I have seen lots of posts regarding bent rims and I don't really want to have to replace it if I don't need to.

Also would a RCPS2 265mm with a 750lb spring be better than a 240mm with a 550lb spring? Would it have more tuning ability because it is larger?

Excel trial rims are the very best, but not for the kind of money that people usually spend to lace a hub motor.

Have you heard of SM Pro? I think I read on here that they were also good and they are located in the UK which is convenient as they can also build the wheels. I found this when I googled them: Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 11.55.30 am.png

Do you have any advise on spokes and lace pattern? Also is Tubliss recommended?

MadRhino said:
Excel trial rims are the very best, but not for the kind of money that people usually spend to lace a hub motor.

Do QS have any options for other rims as it would be much easier to buy the motor from them and also get them to lace it up into a wheel. What rims do you personally recommend?

Darren2018 said:
MadRhino said:

Do QS have any options for other rims as it would be much easier to buy the motor from them and also get them to lace it up into a wheel. What rims do you personally recommend?

Very few Chinese sellers are doing a good lacing job, and even fewer are offering a good choice of rims. It is much better to buy the motor alone. QS motor can deliver the motor double drilled, meaning another 36 holes drilled in between the usual 36 standard. I order the double drilling for bicycle size spokes, because I prefer lacing this motor in bicycle rims, for weight and performance. If I would build for motorcycle tires, I would prefer to use moped rims, or maybe a used pro trial motorcycle rim the like of Excel or Morad light alloy rims. New pro grade trial rims are expansive, and usually available only in common trial sizes. I don’t like the weight of motorcycle tires for an ebike, but I can understand those who do for reasons of puncture proofing and durability when the terrain is too hard on bicycle tires. On city streets or well maintained mtb trails, bicycle tires are doing much better, at the cost of shorter life of course.

MadRhino said:
Darren2018 said:
MadRhino said:

Very few Chinese sellers are doing a good lacing job, and even fewer are offering a good choice of rims. It is much better to buy the motor alone. QS motor can deliver the motor double drilled, meaning another 36 holes drilled in between the usual 36 standard. I order the double drilling for bicycle size spokes, because I prefer lacing this motor in bicycle rims, for weight and performance. If I would build for motorcycle tires, I would prefer to use moped rims, or maybe a used pro trial motorcycle rim the like of Excel or Morad light alloy rims. New pro grade trial rims are expansive, and usually available only in common trial sizes. I don’t like the weight of motorcycle tires for an ebike, but I can understand those who do for reasons of puncture proofing and durability when the terrain is too hard on bicycle tires. On city streets or well maintained mtb trails, bicycle tires are doing much better, at the cost of shorter life of course.

I have an EEB type frame so I cannot really put regular tyres on because they will look too small. It would be so much easier if QS would just stock the Excel rims as then they could just do the whole job, if they are good I am sure that people would buy them.

Chinese motor manufacturers will never pay the price of western quality trial rims, that are more expansive than their motor. They don't even pay the cost of quality spokes, that are 5 times the cost of Chinese spokes. Then, shipping a whole wheel is expansive too, as compared to a motor alone.

Tire sizes up to 3.0 are available robust enough in bicycle domain, and 2.5 to 3.0 are the proper width to look for when building a fast ebike. Wider tires up to 5.0 are available in bicycle sizes with 4.0 being pretty common now, but very few of those fat tires are built robust enough for speeding. In motorcycle sizes, wider than 2.5 does make very heavy tires. They can last very long but have poor grip on ebikes because their carcass is designed for much heavier bikes.

So you have choice to ride the heaviest of bicycle tires, or the lightest of motorcycle tires. And, the most robust of bicycle rims, moped rims, or the lightest of motorcycle rims. In any case, it is not that easy to select and build the best combo for a fast hub motor build. You need to keep the wheel reasonably light, in order to be able to tune the suspension properly, and to achieve good grip in hard/rough cornering. Since riders are on various terrain, with different habits and style, and different bikes too, the choice is personal and each has his own preference, and compromises.

I think I just need something that won't break. I never really thought it would be a problem until I heard of rims not being strong enough. Anyway I appreciate your opinion, now I just need to sort out a rear shock, front fork, rims, spokes and tyres.

Darren2018 said:
I think I just need something that won't break. I never really thought it would be a problem...

Illusions. I too, wanted something that won’t break, but my first priorities are performance and safety. So I worked on building power and speed until I got the performance that I wanted. Then I worked on handling, grip and braking until I found the proper components and geometry to achieve proper handling for the speed and aggressive riding that I like. Then, reliability came progressively, doing better every time I had problems, and most of all avoiding all unnecessary accessories. Now my bikes can survive crashing with minimal damage if any, ride all conditions with minimal maintenance, and can be serviced in minimal time. I consume a lot of tires, but I consider a major safety requirement to ride the best rubbers, and the best rubbers are wearing like pencil erasers. The rims on my dirt bike are 8 years old, showing scratches and dents, but still true and reliable. They are Sun Double Track that weren’t new when I laced them on a 33 lbs hub motor, survived a good 3 dozen of crashes, a motor replacement, and been re-laced 5 times in about 30 thousand miles.

MadRhino said:
Darren2018 said:
I think I just need something that won't break. I never really thought it would be a problem...

Illusions. I too, wanted something that won’t break, but my first priorities are performance and safety. So I worked on building power and speed until I got the performance that I wanted. Then I worked on handling, grip and braking until I found the proper components and geometry to achieve proper handling for the speed and aggressive riding that I like. Then, reliability came progressively, doing better every time I had problems, and most of all avoiding all unnecessary accessories. Now my bikes can survive crashing with minimal damage if any, ride all conditions with minimal maintenance, and can be serviced in minimal time. I consume a lot of tires, but I consider a major safety requirement to ride the best rubbers, and the best rubbers are wearing like pencil erasers. The rims on my dirt bike are 8 years old, showing scratches and dents, but still true and reliable. They are Sun Double Track that weren’t new when I laced them on a 33 lbs hub motor, survived a good 3 dozen of crashes, a motor replacement, and been re-laced 5 times in about 30 thousand miles.

I understand some of those things but to be quite honest with you I think that spending most of my time on the road should keep the wheels in good condition right?

Hi, did you ever find your solution? I’m searching hard to find a good set of 19” moto rims and the appropriate spokes to lace my qs205 motor. I don’t necessarily want the cheap Chinese ones. I’d refer something like the excel takasago rims but for the life of me I can’t find what the specs for the rim will be to order it and the spoke length I’d need. I’m up for the task of lacing it, I just don’t know where to order from or what to order for that matter lol. If anyone knows I’d be so appreciative!!!!

Back