V-twin Electric

Hi Guys,
I am new around here and am working on a new electric bike with a vintage look. I have been building gas motorized bikes for a few years now under the name Sportsman Flyer. I have developed a few different models based on early motorcycle designs, around 1918 vintage, when motorcycles still had functional pedal cranks. There were many manufacturers back then and I have been careful not to try and copy say an early Indian or Harley. What I have done is to build my own designs based on the common design practices and manufacturing techniques used at that time, while incorporating modern manufacturing methods where it makes sense, at least to me. The basic platform is called a Sportsman Flyer which uses a drop loop style frame where the large loop in the frame down tube allows room for motors, and a single speed reduction unit that shares a pedal crank system like a bicycle. Right side of the bike is the pedal side and the left side is the motor side. I have standardized the various components used on the Flyer to produce pedal only bicycles, and then gas engine packages from 80cc to 250cc.

A typical Flyer bicycle looks like this:

Sportsman Pedal Bike by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

A typical Flyer gas bike looks like this:

Bonneville Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

You'll notice the similarities between the two extremes. Both have the same basic frame style, the drop loop, and both closely follow vintage design practices. The pedal bicycle is a cruiser model while the 200cc gas bike is a board track racer.

The gas bike shown above has my standard reduction drive system I mentioned earlier. It is a single speed design on the motor side with fixed gear ratio. I use a kart racing centrifugal clutch on the engine, and from there feed power back to the reduction unit on the pedal crank, and then power is transmitted to the rear wheel. The basic drive system allows flexability to use various power sources, including electric motors. After kicking around different ideas to add an electric motor to the drop loop frame while keeping the vintage style I like so much I decided to build out a v-twin type case to structurally support the electric motor.

Here is the first motor case I developed for the electric motor.

Electric Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

And here is the motor case just balanced into a Flyer pedal cruiser to test fit.

Electra Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Nice work. Those electric flyer frames are calling for a motor. Some ES members did build on them. I hope to see one similar with a soft tail. :wink:

Looking good,
Gotta love retro classic gasser conversions, does remind me though of the Juicer using Headway cells as cylinder barrels 8)

Batteries fit in the crankcase of the Munro.
ea38050ff6a636bda451dce2a88cd94e.jpg

Here is the cruiser bike finished up. This was a simple build to test my drive system and it worked as intended. The battery is a 52v 30ah with Big-Block electric motor from Lightning Rods. Can't say enough good things about Lightning Rods. They pretty much specified the big block electric motor, battery, and controller and took the time to educate me on the entire package. The battery resides in the "gas tank", controller is in the tool box, and the motor is mounted in the v-twin crank case.

Testing by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

From there I built out a board track model. This is another standard Sportsman Flyer model where I build basically every component except the rims, hubs, and tires. The same chassis is used for my gas bikes. This bike has the same exact electric drive system as the cruiser then uses a Sportsman Flyer springer fork, seat, handlebars, and disc brakes front and rear. So far the bike has been able to maintain just over 40 mph on flat ground. I cruise at 30 mph. This bike handles beautifully!

Sportsman Electraflyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

sportscarpat said:
Here is the cruiser bike finished up. This was a simple build to test my drive system and it worked as intended. The battery is a 52v 30ah with Big-Block electric motor from Lightning Rods. Can't say enough good things about Lightning Rods. They pretty much specified the big block electric motor, battery, and controller and took the time to educate me on the entire package. The battery resides in the "gas tank", controller is in the tool box, and the motor is mounted in the v-twin crank case.

Testing by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

From there I built out a board track model. This is another standard Sportsman Flyer model where I build basically every component except the rims, hubs, and tires. The same chassis is used for my gas bikes. This bike has the same exact electric drive system as the cruiser then uses a Sportsman Flyer springer fork, seat, handlebars, and disc brakes front and rear. So far the bike has been able to maintain just over 40 mph on flat ground. I cruise at 30 mph. This bike handles beautifully!

Sportsman Electraflyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr
Hi Pat,
The electrified versions look awesome. Since you have so many options it is difficult to get a sense of the specific components used for these builds. If I may ask a few clarifying questions.

1) The boardtrack model says a standard Flyer model was used. Does that mean the regular Worksman bicycle frame?
2) Are the standard Worksman wheels used? It seems the tires are larger than standard.
3) The forks that look different than the regular springer style.
4) Are drum brakes not advised due to lack of performance so you chose discs?
5) The tank holds the battery, is same except for top access door?

Thanks

Lovely work. I tended to go for a more, nothing worth stealing here approach, but those bikes are works of art.

999zip999 said:
Wow look at you.
How loud is the big block ?

Speaking of pant shredders, as Borat says "Very Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice"
*No picture of Borat added to detract from nice pics of motorcycles.

Hi Windtrader,
Just now seeing your post and would like to respond to your questions.

1) The boardtrack model says a standard Flyer model was used. Does that mean the regular Worksman bicycle frame?
I have an agreement with Worksman to supply them my standard Flyer frame which uses the rear triangle from the Industrial News Boy frame at 110mm hub spacing. This frame has the drop loop necessary to carry engines and motors. I also make my standard Flyer frame that uses the same front triangle of the frame and then adds my 135mm spaced rear triangle. The frame I currently use on all the electric bikes is the upgraded 135mm frame.

2) Are the standard Worksman wheels used? It seems the tires are larger than standard.
The current electric bike uses disc brakes front and rear laced with 11ga. stainless spokes to Worksman aluminum hoops.

3) The forks that look different than the regular springer style.
I have used my own production internal spring fork with caliper bracket and friction shock on most of my electric builds.

4) Are drum brakes not advised due to lack of performance so you chose discs?
The disc brakes are much better than the drums. I can use disc or drum but most have been disc.

5) The tank holds the battery, is same except for top access door?
The profile of the battery tank is the same as my flat side gas tank but much wider. The battery is accessed through a removable bottom on the tank. Tank is stainless, as is the toolbox which carries the controller.

In regards to the question of noise. The motor runs quiet. What you hear more is the chain drive system.
The bike with the green sheet metal parts, the one I did for So Cal Speed Shop that was displayer at the roadster show, is pretty much stock but did have a few custom features like additional chrome plating.

Thanks,
Pat

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the reply. I still want to build a custom e boardtrack racer and the drop look is so perfect to place a motor for mid-drive powerplant.

When I start seriously planning I will contact you via your website and phone to advise on options and ensuring it all goes together in proper sequence and to spec. thanks don

Back