A Good Threaded 1 1/8" suspension fork????

I've got 9000 miles on a BBSHD on a generic mountain bike (called a Synergy). I've gone through 3 front suspension forks and need to find a high quality one that will do the trick. I do plenty of rough dirt roads. Any suggestions?

doubledipsoon said:
I've got 9000 miles on a BBSHD on a generic mountain bike (called a Synergy). I've gone through 3 front suspension forks and need to find a high quality one that will do the trick. I do plenty of rough dirt roads. Any suggestions?

Of what quality were those 3 front suspension forks that you previously used?

What size of wheel are you using?

doubledipsoon said:

Why do you want a threaded fork? With a threadless headset and stem, you can have your pick of a huge variety of suspension forks. Any threaded 1-1/8" suspension fork is going to be cheap and awful, 25 years old, or both.

Dirt roads don't require mechanical suspension, by the way. You can use a rigid fork and never wear it out. You might want to use fat tires with low pressure for that.

I'm running 26" wheels, and am aware of their old school signature- but someone must make a high quality threaded suspension fork out there for us antiques. Yeah, I know the complexity of the varieties of forks out there- threaded, unthreaded, tapered etc etc etc, but I'm trying to keep it simple, but it may not be possible in the real world, So what', a confused ebiker to do? Should I convert to another modern type or just bring it down to the bike shop, throw the towel in, and blow a couple hundred?

Oh, the existing fork that it came with is a ?- the bike is an old electric 24v Synergy electric bike- came out in the early 2000's......I would say it's a "generic" suspension fork.

Get a threadless fork, you only need to change your upper headset bearing or grind the threads out of the old one and get an ahead style stem. Rock shox with an air spring gives a nice ride, but coils work too. I looked at ebay and you can still get a silver tk 32 with canti mounts for 26" wheel NEW. Doesn´t really get much more retro than that.

doubledipsoon said:
I'm running 26" wheels, and am aware of their old school signature- but someone must make a high quality threaded suspension fork out there for us antiques.

Nope. It's too easy and cheap to switch to threadless. There's no reason for anyone to make one. If they did, the low market volume would make it cost more than an equally good threadless fork, stem, and headset.

Just convert to threadless and buy a good quality suspension fork, remember its not just the 1" or 1-1/8" or tapered, and not just threaded or threadless, but also the brake mounts (V or Disc) and axle mount styles (QR, thru-axle). Then its not only thru axle but size of thru axle. Lots and lots of little things to keep in mind, buy a fork with thru axle when you need old school QR.

OK, you've just about convinced me to do a threaded to threadless conversion. I'm still a little confused on what happens at the upper end of the threadless fork. I mean, what specifically do I need to get to clamp the top of the fork to the frame, and how do the upper bearings stay put? I probably need a picture of what it all looks like....I'm trying!

doubledipsoon said:
OK, you've just about convinced me to do a threaded to threadless conversion. I'm still a little confused on what happens at the upper end of the threadless fork. I mean, what specifically do I need to get to clamp the top of the fork to the frame, and how do the upper bearings stay put? I probably need a picture of what it all looks like....I'm trying!

The stem clamps down to hold everything in place. The top cap sets the bearing preload. It's a superior system in every way except easy height adjustability.

Headset-Article-Graphic.jpg

RJ The Bike Guy used a looooong 1" threaded fork and just used it threadless - after installed star nut, clamped it down with stem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CINjuispG5g&t=145s

Hey, you guys are great! Because of the informative vibes, I walked into my basement and checked out my Currie Eride, my 1st ebike, the one that couldn't get me up that hill. And guess what, it has a threadless steerer tube, complete. I checked out a few Youtube videos on how to convert, and I just saved $100 bucks+. The last I remember, the front suspension was the only thing I loved about that bike. OK, thanks all for bringing me up to date and back in the groove, as we all used to say....

Back