Just had an earthquake in Los Angeles

didn't feel it here either..

:D :bolt:

markz said:
e-beach said:
didn't feel it here either..

The fire smoke is making you numb.
Oh, that smoke blew away last week. Hot wind today, heat set some local records around here, but blue sky's. :wink:

I bet the <ten thousand homeless in SF just slept right through it.

Isn't there a worry of tsunami's when the epicenter is out in the ocean or is magnitude 3.9 nothing.

fechter said:
Woke me up this morning. Not really big, but close enough to feel strong.

3.6 is pretty small. It’s also right on the San Andreas fault which moves sideways so won’t make much of a tsunami.

fechter said:
3.6 is pretty small. It’s also right on the San Andreas fault which moves sideways so won’t make much of a tsunami.

Oh ok should have investigated more then just assume the map was epicenter. Alberta doesnt get much of any earthquakes but some light tremors from WA/BC/OR, just AB gets some tornado's every so often, some massive hail damage occurred 2 months ago was the most expensive damage in Canadian History. Well news says 4th @ $1.2B, funny thing is it was only the NE quadrant of the city that received the all the damage, other quadrants of the city didnt get much of any weather action except some normal rain and normal hail. I actually rode my ebike through the NE and saw the damage first hand. It seemed odd at the time that it was just one side of the houses with siding and windows broken. Vinyl siding sucks, the plastered siding houses received little to no damage. NE is a poor quadrant of the city where most immigrants move to with Northern parts of the SE included. NE also has the most infected with covid-19 because immigrant families all stay together, adult children with their children and adult childrens parents and they all work menial/service jobs all living in ONE house.

Calgary hailstorm that caused $1.2B in damage ranks as Canada's 4th costliest natural disaster
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-hailstorm-costly-damage-1.5642317

Interesting search results here on earth quakes for AB
https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/alberta.html
Info more pertenant to anyone who knows AB, but link does give map.
There were 3 quakes of magnitude 2.0+ in Alberta during the past 30 days, the largest largest being a 2.9 event.
Biggest quake: 2.9 quake 70 km south of Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada, 5 December 2020 15:55 UTC 4 weeks ago
Most recent quake: 2.6 quake 19 km southeast of Elkford, Regional District of East Kootenay, Colombia Britanica, Canada, 29 December 2020 19:16 UTC 2 days ago

The fingers said:
https://www.foxla.com/news/3-5-magnitude-earthquake-rocks-the-los-angeles-area :shock:

Hummm, I was up for at least 2.5 hours by then and I didn't feel a thing in Sandy Monica. Must have rumbled the other way.

The pre-quake woke me up. It shouldn't have it was small, but I felt it and thought it felt like a pre-quake. Went back to sleep and then got woke up again California style. It was about 9 miles south of me, and it was rummbly enough to hear it coming this way for a second or so before it got to me.

Lennox 5apr21.JPG

Quake Lennex 5Apr21.JPG

Time to go back to bed.

:lol: :bolt:

Things are getting active in shaky town. 4.2

ATTACH]

https://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/index-en.php
Recent Significant Earthquake Reports

2021-10-20: M=5.0 - 31 km WNW of Rocky Mountain House, AB
2021-10-18: M=4.8 - 179 km NE of Keno, YT
2021-10-16: M=2.8 - Mining event, Niobec Mine, QC - felt
2021-09-26: M=4.4 - 206 km ENE of Pond Inlet, NU
2021-09-20: M=4.2 - 206 km SW of Port Alice, BC

First one RMH AB was at 03:23:22 UT
All the other places, I have no clue where they are, probably remote.

5.0 is a good ride. Anything over that starts to get serious.

markz said:
I would pay to feel an earthquake
I would also pay to see a Tornado in Tornado Alley
:cyclone:

Pay? Earthquakes are free, all you have to do is live where they happen and eventually you get one. :lol:
Nature can be amazing. I have been in all the "Big One's" that have happened in Santa Monica since the mid 1960's, and countless small ones. They are all different. The closest thing to giving you the experience of an earthquake is for you to go stand next to some rail road tracks when a big freight train is passing. One where you can feel the rumbling under your feet. Then think about the ground whipping up and down like a possessed trampoline where you can't even keep your footing and have to sit down, or lie down. Then think about being in a house where suddenly the whole house starts whipping back and forth with everything flying off the shelf's. That is what the big one's are like. The 1994 earthquake hit the building I was living in so hard that at first light the Santa Monica building and safety inspector came, looked at the building for 5 minutes then condemned, "Red Tagged" the building on the spot. The building known as "The Sea Castle" which had been built as a hotel in the 1930's was never properly retrofitted. So, when that quake hit, all the brickwork gave way. 5 story's of unenforced red brick-work peeled off the back of the building and cascaded through my friends ceiling coming within 3 feet of crushing my friend, his wife and 1 year old baby to death. The walls opened up in the two penthouse apartments and another friend almost got ejected out of his bed and through the hole in the wall. All-in-all 57 people were said to have been killed by that quake with another 8700 inured. So yea, nature can be amazing. On the other-hand, the small ones are kind of fun.

Yes, pay like an amusement ride. Time of ride happens on my terms, not sitting around wasting time waiting for something to happen. In the case of a Tornado, its actually a thing, the general public does pay a chaser to find tornado's. Maybe when I retire and roam around in a moving home on wheels and an engine, I can sit on the San Andre's fault line for months on end, waiting, then check it off the Bucket List and roll on.

Find out where the most earthquakes happen and setup a glamp (glamorous camp)

e-beach said:
markz said:
I would pay to feel an earthquake
I would also pay to see a Tornado in Tornado Alley
:cyclone:
Pay? Earthquakes are free, all you have to do is live where they happen and eventually you get one. :lol:

Back