mxus xf15 gear hub motor teardown

Sorry my friend ,i was talking about the kit (witch has the same controller)reviews that are 14 and has
27 orders!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.12.621176ddcs8rp1

This was all done ages ago but i work full time as a groumdwater tracer scientist and have a 6yo daughter .., slogress is progress any way i digress... Now you can all watch it all speeded up into a few of the best pics ..
IMG812.jpg

now to get rid of that useless hall board, you can also see that i have removed the hall wiring and replaced the old wiring through the axel with the original phase wire but without the sheath i can fit 6 strands ,a pair of temperature sensor wires and a very thin PTFE hose the reason for the hose will become aparent shortly

IMG822.jpg

This shows all the terminations, what you dont see is that under the heatshrink the wires ends are all soldered and then coated in oil resistant silicone this is then squeezed by the heat shrink hopefully sealing the wire core and insulation against fluid creep. it has been a couple of months being ridden without the battery (under construction) and no drips so far. Temp sensor tucked up against the windings (bottom black thing) and a anti splash breather pipe cap to stop the squirts .
and all squared away with a minimum 2mm clearance to housing and tied down with dacron/cotton woven boot cord.

Attachments

• IMG827.jpg
    IMG827.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 2,840
add important detail;drain plug
IMG829.jpg

Solvent clean and scrub, assemble gears and clutch
IMG830.jpg

insert beastly outrunner (0.35mm lams 24mm thick 108mm stator wound with 6 turns of 10x 0.5mm wire in wye )

IMG831.jpg

This one shows the nice wheel i built it into in the back ground
IMG832.jpg

And the mostly installed item in the bike with one motorcycle tyre 16x2.5" vee rubber up front and a bmx on on the back while i wait for another like the front had to cut of the V brake bosses to fit the moto tyre on the back but its been on and ridden like it looks in the pic for weeks now and it is as nice as pie to ride i dont notive any extra drag formthe motorcycle tyres and the whole frontwheel is only 50g heavier than the original 26er brakes are awesome and the suspension is very plush the slightly altered geometery only a loss of 5mm bb ground clearance with the longer than original forks (130mm manitous vs 70mm mozo ) and the longer rear shock a 190 long 55mm travel dnm replaces the original 160mm long 35mm travel pogo coil of the nodamping flavor (infinite improvement) I love riding of things on it and doing wheelies ( still no battery )
IMG835.jpg

Building a battery now with A123 AMP20 20 ah pouch cells will be 14s 1p to go with a flipsky 12fet vesc6.6 and hopefully saturation will be a little more than the 60 battery amps that the vesc is capable of. More pics to follow , slowgress is progress

Thanks for getting us back on topic!, great work. I'm still waiting on battery for mine.

Been looking at this motor a bit myself lately. Thanks for doing the legwork on figuring out the RPMs and for the great pictures.

A couple of questions, both of which might be somewhat foolish. How did we get from a 120mm x 18mm stator on page 1 to a 108x24mm on page 2? And, specifically (apart from the obvious price point difference, what makes the xf15 so superior to, say, the swx02?

Thanks!

PS

How did you ever fare with that greenpedel crossbreak conversion?

Hi Fourbanger, the measurement changed when i went form eyeballing it and guesstimating and getting out the calipers, for the greenpedel motor it is sitting in a box abandoned because the motor was not a bafang. it had a plastic ring gear and the motor rotor was horribly unbalanced and i was at the time happy with the smaller oil cooled old bafang hub i modded the same way as the one above. Those older bafang minis with steel gears added, oil cooling and beefed phasewires it was a 14t terminated in delta. The one above is its replacement on the same bike but with smaller wheels as in the pictures. The older bafang minis were very wide more than 150mm across the locknuts and this made the gear shifting terrible under pedaling and only 7 of the 8 speeds could be used without the chain coming off.

pedaling the bike with the new cassett motor is a dream with perfect shifting and a 9 speed cassett. The battery design is nearly complete as are many of the pack components, I'm itching to ride it with the motor working, its twice the motor of the little old bafang minis and thinner lams to, the old minibafang was fed a diet of 75 phase amps 45 battery amps but needed delta termination to get over the 35 amp phase mark without saturating, the xf15 has much larger gears and clutch than the old mini as well

40 a123 20 ah pouch cellls are all tested for capacity and all have IR between 3.5 and 2.1 milliohms probably varying with temperature mare than anything. 14 with lowest IR will be used in the pack.

battery pack components made so far:
celltab clamp busbar and insulator stacks are ready,
the heat sink fins for the battery terminals are ready,
the battery case bottom half made from 3mm alloy removed from a dead plasma mass spectrometer (is not 5000 series peanutbutter alloy )
bms has been tested on 14 shitty laptop cells and works fine and balances the trash cells quick its a chargery bms16
controller heatsink and fan arrangement are ready for insertioon in to hte battery box where they will warm the battery with waste heat during cold weather 5 degree temps in winter sometimes means it takes less energy to heat the battery to 25 degrees than you loose in the high ir of cold cells and you get stiffer voltage.
second fan and the controller for both fans are tested, the second fan will cool the pack and controller with lots of airflow when needed on a thermostat speed control summers here are very hot so it will need it.
controller is a vesc 6.6 from flipsky.

more to come

hi again fourbanger i forgot your second question, " why is it better than the SWX02 series ?"

because it has thinner laminates and comes in a faster wind i could not find an swx with a goodly fast wind and the xf15 sold as a 36v motor has less turns and more wire than any of the swx02's i have ever seen, I have repaired a few when i was working at Micycles in adelaide and the best wind i ever saw was a 10t with six strands of 0.5mm wire, the XF15 on the other hand has 6t of 10 wires, to get the same performance from an swx02 you would have to terminate a slow one in delta, the fast one would be too fast to be a good climber and delta is less efficient than the same kv wind in y

Plastic ring gear, huh. Well that's pretty shabby even by MY low standards. FWIW, Grin Tech used to sell a code (9) swx02 that did 9.7rpm/v. I've yet to see another.

I'll have to pick your brain some more regarding the delta/wye efficiency sometime. Sounds like there might be more to it than I though.

Good luck with the build, looks like it's going to be a real ripper!

Me again. Did you ever figure out how fast you can spin this thing? I'm thinking of mounting one in the triangle and revving the snot out of it then gearing down to drive the left side back wheel. If I could get away with reterminating in delta, that would be pretty cool. My understanding is that the general consensus is 250hz for .5mm laminations, but I haven't heard boo about .35. You seem like the type of guy who has a brain for this type of thing so I thought I'd ask.

PS. Are you still happy with the oil cooling solution? I still like crossbreak's idea but it's just so much damn work.

Cheers, again.

fourbanger said:
Me again. Did you ever figure out how fast you can spin this thing? I'm thinking of mounting one in the triangle and revving the snot out of it then gearing down to drive the left side back wheel. If I could get away with reterminating in delta, that would be pretty cool. My understanding is that the general consensus is 250hz for .5mm laminations, but I haven't heard boo about .35. You seem like the type of guy who has a brain for this type of thing so I thought I'd ask.

PS. Are you still happy with the oil cooling solution? I still like crossbreak's idea but it's just so much damn work.

Cheers, again.

I'm planning to buy MXUS XF15 or Bafang SWX02 from Chamrider. What is your opinion on these 48V 500W options Bafang motor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916093975.html vs MXUS: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html which one would you suggest to get?

I have 28'' tyres on my bike so how much top speed I could expect? Also I heard elsewhere that 440rpm is too much for 28'' tyres?

valsam said:
I have had this motor installed on my bike for 2 months already and have done almost 1000km on it ,with the 22 ah controller and a 48v battery at level 5 assist it outputs near 1200w ,for my first ebike build this much power is even too much for me and i am quite a heavy guy(250 pounds)!

How did you get out 1200W? I have 48V 24Ah battery and motor tops out at 900W

It is the controller ,it says 22 +1ah so when the battery was fully charged 54,6v(now after a year and about 120 full charges it only charges up to 54,0v,is this normall?)so actually i got over 1200w output(about 1250w !)and even now i get a little over 1200W but that is i said just when fully charged and for just a brief moment ,mostly over 1000w up to near 12000w and a little under 1000w before battery cuts off at 42v(960-970w)!

Hello, i've bought a xf15 36v 350w and the speed feel limited at 285rpm, do you know why? Have it a posibility to increase it without changing batteries by 48v?

So i am having an issue with my controller (i think!) the display started to get stuck at 600-660w and the motor stoped working,i had to close and open again the screen so it could work again ,the motor would not go above that 600-700w and after shut down again and showed me an error "Motor or controller short circuit fault"!
Motor cable and controller got very hot also!
I asked a friend of mine that hapens to have bought a ebike kit but has'nt yet fited it to lend me the cable that goes from the controller to the hub motor and the hailong battery base with the intergrated controller to see what my problem may be ,i first checked the cable but still the problem existed after i changed the controller and the bike seems to work perfectly but from the test drive i took it out now i can't get above 910W output!
Checked and checked again playing with the kd lcd8 displays parameters but still get just only over 900w max output so can anynody tell me what output do you get with the 22A+-1 controller (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000332284381.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.32.26216c3dpVu9Vi) ?Someone here before was asking me how do i get 1200w+ with mine and that his only gives 900w ,so i am thinking was it that maybe the controller i originaly got with this kit was faulty from the start?
And was that output of 1250w that i got too much and not the right one i should have gotten and 900w is right and is what eneryone else is geting?
Also I had a problem from day 1 with the motor cuting of when trying to accelarate full throttle or even by PAS assist and changed the BMS,checked the battery and finally the seller proposed to me to set C5 parameter to 01 Two level slow start/ Maximum current value and that is how i ran my bike since day 1,now with the new controller i put the C5 parameter to 10 witch is 10 =Maximum current value and the bike takes of without motor cuting off so that is what made my thinking maybe i had a faulty controller from the start that wasn't suposed to give me that 1250w output!
Also i took the controller to a tech guy here to check it and he told me that he cant do nothing with it because it has a silicone type of resin on it(for waterproofing i think)

Sorry about catching your thread of discussion, but do you have specs of MXUS XF15F here or can point to that.
I - as one follower above - having swap from Bafang SWX02 (still working) to MXUS and want to check electrical parameters.

Thank You in advance and sorry.

Solved my problem as it was only difference on pulses/round setting in LCD3

Got my hand on 2 of these 22A intergrated to the battery base controllers and tried both of them and both gave me only a little over 900w max output on a fully charged battery ,so i guess probably my first controller that gave me 1200w+ output had some kind of flaw(good flaw for me!)and was not the "normal" output controller and the 900w ones are!

Got another same 22A (third one!) and this one also gives an output of 900W+ SO I COME TO THE CONCLUSION that there was something wrong(a good wrong for me!) with my first controller that gave the 1250w+ output !

Back