Cured my wife's anxiety and my depression with nutritional supplements.

neptronix said:
(nodding furiously)

Yeah, meeting carrie brown in person ( you saw the video above right? ) is who convinced me that i wasn't totally insane when it came to liver eating. She responds to methylated B vitamins too, but i do not, so i've got a bigger issue than she does.

I actually heard her on the keto dudes podcast.

These days I try to mix in carbs in the form of berries and even potatoes sometimes but I always feel way better without them. Wish it weren't true because pizza is awesome, but it's not worth my life.

grindz145 said:
These days I try to mix in carbs in the form of berries and even potatoes sometimes but I always feel way better without them. Wish it weren't true because pizza is awesome, but it's not worth my life.

Same. I've gradually worked up to handling ~150g of carbs in a meal with zero ill effect. 7 years ago, i would ride the blood sugar rollercoaster on only 50g of carbs.

Perhaps you still have that sensitivity?

Every diagnostic indication says i reversed type 2 diabetes but that's not the end of the story.

Now, my body is AMAZING at storing carbohydrates as fat. Over the course of 3 months, my girlfriend has handed me a few grapes or 1/4th of an orange and i accepted it. I gained 5lbs from that, from ~20g of carbs every other day.

Maybe this is why we hear those stories about 'atkins/keto stopped working'. Because when the consequences from carbs lessen, it's easy to get lazy.

..now i'm off to go work off those 5lbs and tell the girlfriend i appreciate the fruit but we gotta stop.. :mrgreen:

neptronix said:
grindz145 said:

Same. I've gradually worked up to handling ~150g of carbs in a meal with zero ill effect. 7 years ago, i would ride the blood sugar rollercoaster on only 50g of carbs.

Perhaps you still have that sensitivity?

Every diagnostic indication says i reversed type 2 diabetes but that's not the end of the story.

Now, my body is AMAZING at storing carbohydrates as fat. Over the course of 3 months, my girlfriend has handed me a few grapes or 1/4th of an orange and i accepted it. I gained 5lbs from that, from ~20g of carbs every other day.

Maybe this is why we hear those stories about 'atkins/keto stopped working'. Because when the consequences from carbs lessen, it's easy to get lazy.

..now i'm off to go work off those 5lbs and tell the girlfriend i appreciate the fruit but we gotta stop.. :mrgreen:

Yeah I think so, and it goes in waves. In the summer I'm able to deal with more, despite being just as active in the winter. My dad was a type 2 diabetic by his early 30s, so it would not surprise me at all. I am thin and fit though, less than 13% bodyfat. I've never had a hard time staying relatively fit despite how awful I've felt otherwise.

I'm sure your right on that, It's more of a long term affect. I tend to lean toward the Westin-A-Price diet now, but it's all kind of similar in the end and you find a bunch of commonalities to stick to for good. Had a few stawberries today since I was feeling sick with a headcold, Just have to keep it to a reasonable minimum, and maybe not in ketosis every minute of every day.

I have some interesting new developments.

Due to where i live, i haven't been able to cook beef liver for a year, so i took beef liver pills by ancestral supplements to manage my depression. However, i still have bad days and often feel 'bleh'. So those pills aren't cutting it.

I found three foods that actually have more B12 than liver:
Dungeness crab
Oysters
Clams

I ate 3 oz of oysters the other day and was bouncing off the walls with energy, like i was on drugs. It was more powerful than 4oz of beef liver. Too powerful! i'm having 1.5oz of oysters a day and i'm finally on an even keel and not in euphoria land. :)

But it still concerns me that i'm on a carnivore diet and getting basically 200% of my B12 intake through diet but still being deficient. How the hell?

I learned there's several things that can cause poor B12 absorption:
Low stomach acid ( i for sure have that )
Low/absent gut intrinsic factor ( not sure; sometimes due to an autoimmune disorder )
Transcobalamin deficiency ( can be genetic, not sure )
Gut bacteria issues ( almost certain i have this )
Heavy caffeine usage ( *raises hand* )

I'm going to experiment with curing the root causes above and see if i can naturally have high B12 levels without supplementing.
Will produce a video with my findings later.

Also my current girlfriend has OCD. I read a few papers showing that OCD can develop from a severe B12 shortage. I've had her eat some oysters and she had a similar mood effect and had 2 days where she didn't feel like washing her hands constantly.
She has serious digestive issues and is also has been on PPIs for a LONG time, which are famous for destroying B12 absorption.

It makes me wonder how many mental illnesses start in the digestive system.

I started to experiment with a full spectrum B vitamin supplement and it's been a smoother ride than the rush from seafood.
B12 did wonders for my depression but not the low grade agitation/scatterbrain/brain fog/digestive trouble i've been dealing with for most of my life.

I recently discovered that i have had a long standing vit B1 deficiency, and this is common in keto/carnivore circles, but can also afflict omnivores and even vegans.

Started taking these yesterday and the above symptoms resolved quickly:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01787EPEE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This B complex is specifically formulated for people who have difficulty absorbing B vitamins like i do. The vitamins are methylated, so if you have the dreaded MHTFR gene, you should be able to process these vitamins.

Another higher quality B complex exists, which includes 'intrinsic factor', but it's 3 times the price:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BU44VYU/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A1DQTH1KX3T93J&psc=1

The most interesting thing i noticed is that after taking the cheaper one, is that i spent all day conquering very difficult tasks i'd been avoiding that require focus. It works better than the ritalin i took for a short period of time.

Unlike seafood, i don't get a 'B12 buzz' from it. The effect is more balanced and i feel like my entire mind/body are at an even keel now.

If i am what i eat, i'm a stinky yellow pill, lol.

But seriously, there's a truth to that. I have found in eating various animal organs that the animal organ has the nutrients needed to support maintenance/repair of your equivalent organ. I think this is the basis of many Eastern/African dietary ideas. Enough of them are true, that it's a good principle to start from.

I'm 9 days into taking the cheap mentioned supplement. The first day yielded a dramatic improvement in my brain function. Successive days have yielded incremental improvements. The results are mindblowing. I used to have good brain days and bad brain days... now i just have good ones :)
I truly believe the last piece of the puzzle for me was vitamin B1.

I've got my gal with OCD on it for 2 days and she's seen a big improvement in her symptoms, especially her energy levels. She's decided to be a good patient and continue taking it.

I'm at 22 days in and my brain function and mental health is consistently excellent. I've forgotten what depression feels like. :shock:

I also have finally been able to quit caffiene, which i have been addicted to for 25 years. I have been off that drug for 8 days, and am back to about 90% of the energy level i was at before. Except i am suffering of post-acute withdrawal symptoms such as random palpitations, an ongoing headache, worsening tinnitus, and bizarre sinus symptoms. I know it will be weeks before these effects subside.

All of this is a breakthrough for me. I have been looking for this answer for decades.

I've read a summary of nutritional interventions for various mental health disorders. It highlights the efficacy of high doses of various vitamins in the B family. If you are interested in following my path, take a peek into this rabbit hole:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3046018/

Interesting read. My doctor has always told me that if a person eats right there in no need for multivitamins.

I think I'm going to look further into this. I'm close to giving B1 and B6 a try at a 'medium' dose.

Thanks neptronix. I might not agree with your decision to not vote, but I do appreciate you keeping an open mind and trying slightly unorthodox things.

Nick

You know, multivitamins typically contain the cheap low/no-absorption formats of all vitamins anyway, so they tend to be useless.

I've even seen things like vitamin D2 in those, which have a 0% bioavailability as a D vitamin for 100% of human beings.
And Beta Carotine instead of actual vitamin A ( retinol ). Beta Carotine is a provitamin that your body MAY convert some portion of, between 3% to 65%.
And cyanocobalamin for B12, which ranges from 0-1% bioavailability.
I could go on.. and on.. and on.. but you get the idea.

These manufacturers are legally able to lie about these things. 100% RDA can mean 0% RDA. That's been going on for about a century. It's such a scam!

Indeed, food is a much better source of everything.

I'm working on a program that takes the USDA food nutrition database, converts it into my format, adjusts for average bioavailability across genetic groups, and then spits out a list of the most nutrient dense foods for the type of nutrient type you're looking for. Optionally, it can also sort by ratio of net carbohydrate to calorie ( so if you're on a low carb diet like me, you can identify which of those to eat ).

I also want to get my nutrients from food and never take a supplement again. :thumb:

Try the $10 B complex i recommended. It's cheaper than buying B1 and B6 separately. You can't overdose on B vitamins, so no worries about getting too much in.
Also, the RDAs are designed around avoiding diseases of deficiency, not optimum health.

I won't address the political comment here :mrgreen:

How'd the B work out for ya?

I've been taking it for about a month and a half now. I'm clean from the nicotine wafers ( or any form of nicotine ) that i was hooked on and managed to drop my daily caffeine usage to 1/3rd of what it was as well, for the first time in my life.

I've convinced a dozen people to try it by now. The biggest reported effect is more energy. Two of 12 had amazing results like mine.

Cool.

My thoughts on Vit D are as such..
10000mcg is a good idea when you are not receiving sun.. IE winter.. and some parts of the summer if you are like me and hide out from the heat.

Only buy vitamin D3.. you'll know the good shit when it's in a tiny liquid capsule.. you don't have to be too picky about brands.

The best Vitamin D3 comes from your own body's production in response to sunlight hitting it.. there are other substances being generated from sunlight exposure which prompt hormone generation that we don't understand yet.. and you will feel the difference in your mood and how your body works. Vitamin D3 itself is not enough to boost your hormone production and such.

Here in Northern Utah i absolutely sunbathe during the winter whenever time and sunlight exposure allows. Makes a massive, massive impact on my seasonal effective disorder. My mood can flip from gloomy to perky in 15-30 minutes.

My experiments on my gal continue.

I read that n-acetyl cystine did magic for OCD in a few clinical trials.
NAC targets glutamate metabolism in the brain and glutamate issues are seen in OCD patients so the case for using it seemed legit.

I handed her a $15 bottle of the supplement and told her to take the same dosage as in the best trial.
According to the trials, it takes a few weeks for the effects to develop.
So here's my case report at 2 weeks.

My gal's OCD causes her to obsessively clean and groom herself. To a point where it hurts her hands. Before SSRI medication, the obsessive thoughts were out of control. She would say the SSRI has only done half of the job of correcting the OCD. With SSRIs, she still has big issues with resisting the urge to clean things.

Over about 2 weeks of taking NAC, i'm noticing that the house has gone from sparking clean to just an average person's house.. there may be items left on the floor or dishes left unwashed sometimes. She can control her urges to clean in lieu of other more important tasks.

Overall she seems to have much better impulse control. I can notice this in our relationship. She told me she's noticed it too and it's a relief. Her hands are looking a lot nicer too.

This leaves me wondering if we could reduce her SSRI a little and up the NAC.
..if not, this is cool anyway. We put a very big dent in a disorder that big pharma doesn't have a complete solution for. With a supplement that is an antioxidant and has zero noted side effects.

If you are interested in reading more, here's a recent summary of trials conducted on various mental health disorders with NAC:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2018/2469486/

Thanks for sharing! Having organ meat regularly is really beneficial, too bad they are considered less delicious than the usual hamburger patty or a steak. Overall, I like Paul Jaminets approach to food: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

He is an advocate of organ meats! And eggs and seafood too :thumb:

Pentti M Reku said:
Thanks for sharing! Having organ meat regularly is really beneficial, too bad they are considered less delicious than the usual hamburger patty or a steak. Overall, I like Paul Jaminets approach to food: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

He is an advocate of organ meats! And eggs and seafood too :thumb:

Seafood wouldnt be a wise choice, the oceans these days are just to contaminated with very small plastic particles, and toxins that build up in the seafood and are eaten by bigger aquatic creatures and buildup even more. A healthy diet of organic fruits and vege's with organic eggs and some sort of other meat, like free range organic lean meats like chicken or turkey.

markz said:
Seafood wouldnt be a wise choice, the oceans these days are just to contaminated with very small plastic particles, and toxins that build up in the seafood and are eaten by bigger aquatic creatures and buildup even more. A healthy diet of organic fruits and vege's with organic eggs and some sort of other meat, like free range organic lean meats like chicken or turkey.

All of our food is contaminated with something. There's microplastics in fruits and vegetables too.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/531...a university in,of plastic particles in them.

Chicken/turkey, and fruits/vegetables do not contain the megadoses of B12 that seafood and liver do. So, not relevant to the discussion.

1-2 oz of seafood to keep depression at bay is nothing compared to how much seafood some african / asian cultures eat.. which is over 10 times of what i recommend. You'd think that if the fears of bad stuff in seafood was true, those people would be dropping dead left and right, but that's not happening.

Sounds like she wants to try but is not committed to reaching optimal health at this point. I'll tell you honestly, i used to not care either. I grew up in hippiesville, California and a lot of people made claims about eating X or Y way that they could not back up with either results or science.. so i failed to entertain the idea until i got away from the area.
I do remember trying a couple ideas and they just didn't work.

Things changed when i started looking for scientific evidence, whether it was suggestive or definitive. The ketogenic diet was not a fad when i discovered it, was a research oddity, but well documented and explained. I tried it, had great results, and it set me on a path of reading research to try to find other gold nuggets of health information.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Some people have to hit rock bottom before they'll change. I did. So did my ex wife.

These days, i take the approach of dropping pennies in the wishing well for people. I talk frequently about verifiable accomplishments and scientific research.. point them in the right direction.. and let them do with that information what they wish.

I cannot get attached to an outcome when i try to help people anymore. it hurts me when things i know to be very true are rejected.

Now that i look 6-8 years younger than i actually am.. i have a lot more credibility since i display the proof of my results. I like to whip out a picture of me at nearly 300lbs i keep in my wallet. It works. I also have a sorted list of 100's research papers on my computer.. but i don't find that people respect that much, as mainsteram science has been used as a tool to deceive in the dietary world for so long. :/

Update on my girlfriend, my latest project, hehe.

Previously i had a big win by getting her off prevacid and on to apple cider vinegar instead. Her skin tone started to change from pale to glowy and rosy over the next week. I had a feeling some big changes would come over time as a result of fixing the nutritional deficiencies caused by proton pump inhibitors.

She floored me last night when she told me that In the last 3 months, she stopped taking:
Fluvoxamine - SSRI for obsessive compulsive disorder. She'd been on it for 25 years.
Gabapentin - to manage the pain from a very severe neck injury.
Buprenorphine - to manage opiate dependency.
Prevacid - for GERD.
Apple Cider Vinegar - which replaced prevacid per my suggestion; but she no longer needs it since her heartburn has been resolved. So she's off that too.

She still takes:
Oxycodone - but has lowered her dose.
Various vitamins - prescribed by me.
Occasional type 2 collagen - prescribed by me.

Despite this, she is in less pain, has more energy, shows no almost no symptoms of OCD, does not have any symptoms of Crohn's disease, no more narcolepsy episodes, went from needing 10 hours a sleep a night to 7, and does not experience a long list of mystery symptoms.

It's hard to sort out what differences the dietary change made versus what was a side effect from a medication she was taking.

She credits all this to adopting my way of eating, and following my experiments on her. She occasionally still sneaks cereal and other garbage on the side, but 75% of the time, is doing high nutrition variant of keto with me.

I had a STRONG suspicion that all her maladies stemmed from poor nutrition or food allergies.. and this is now confirmed.
She has been a sugar and wheat addict forever, yet somehow is within normal weight, so i can't blame obesity for her issues.

Her attitude on life is slowly changing and she's thinking of what the future may bring more, now that she is not constantly sick.

I didn't expect her to have a health miracle on the scale of mine. I told her last night.. if 75% of my approach works this well, what does 100% look like? How about we make the type 2 collagen a daily thing and see if we can get rid of the oxycodone?

She is now considering this idea. I am so proud of her for taking steps towards a permanent lifestyle change so far, and wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes with her health now.

neptronix said:
......I am so proud of her for taking steps towards a permanent lifestyle change so far, and wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes with her health now.

Sounds to me like you forgot to mention your "love"

:lol: :bolt:

Well just a quick update on my lady...

I found a good supplier for bulk n,acetylcysteine and purchased it in a large quantity and handed her her new prescription for OCD, since she's been off her SSRI for 2 months now ( her choice, not mine ), and occasionally needs a bit of help. I'm thinking the NAC will do the job of taking care of the last remnants of her OCD, but we are early in testing that.

We're both deep in the throes of seasonal affective disorder and i've taken to voraciously researching what aspects of the sun you can reproduce using specialized lighting. I learned that high end lighting manufacturers like Sylvania and Phillips produce lights which can produce either UVB alone, or up to 96% of the sun's light spectrum which includes UVA, UVB, and UVC.

The only problem with these lights is that they require ballasts with advanced safety and control mechanisms, otherwise the bulbs can explode. No flourescent/metal halide/mercury vapor ballast i've seen is capable of dimming, so i would have to design a light controller to utilize these in a way that emulates the sun's UV/color shifts.

It is important that, if you have a device this powerful, that it's properly controlled, as it would have a huge influence on the user's circadian rhythm.

I have a plan for building a seasonal affective disorder light that's emulates the sun up to 96% accurately using a specialized UVB light plus a RGB LED array, plus a controller which controls the intensity of the UVB light plus the color temperature of the LEDs.

Such a device could meet regulatory approval as a medical device in some countries and also blow away every seasonal affective disorder device i've seen sold. The best SAD device i've seen uses small scale 400w combined tanning lights and costs $1000+, yet doesn't achieve a full spectrum output, and is designed for 10-20 minutes of usage before it burns skin. I want a device which runs all day at a MUCH lower intensity and can replace a room's lighting entirely, to a point where it could be a sole lighting solution for a room, warehouse, Antarctic research station, etc.

Will be building a prototype today with manual controls. It's an overcast day and a perfect time to test it. :)

Back