Can this VESC work with a regular throttle?

Yes, this VESC (and pretty much every other one) can work with regular throttles, they get connected to one of the analog inputs.

Field weakening is something of a beta feature right now, you have to jump through some hoops to get the option to show up, but it does seem to work well enough as far as I know.

Addy said:
Yes, this VESC (and pretty much every other one) can work with regular throttles, they get connected to one of the analog inputs.

Field weakening is something of a beta feature right now, you have to jump through some hoops to get the option to show up, but it does seem to work well enough as far as I know.

Thanks mate :)

Is field weakening a matter of software or hardware?

Addy said:
rg12 said:
Is field weakening a matter of software or hardware?

I would say it's mostly software, the hardware is the same except that you may want to have more headroom in the voltage rating of the controller, since the BEMF of the motor can go higher than the battery voltage when field weakening is used.

So if this ESC comes with the VESC software and the ESC is rated for 16S AND the VESC software has the option for field weakening...
Doesn't that mean that it will work fine with the extra voltage from the BEMF as it's designed for it?

rg12 said:
So if this ESC comes with the VESC software and the ESC is rated for 16S AND the VESC software has the option for field weakening...
Doesn't that mean that it will work fine with the extra voltage from the BEMF as it's designed for it?

Field weakening is not an option by default, so the 16s rating likely doesn't take field weakening into account.

Addy said:
rg12 said:

Field weakening is not an option by default, so the 16s rating likely doesn't take field weakening into account.

Ah got it, thanks mate :)

Back