TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

maitilupas said:
anyone with a tsdz for sale ? preferably in Europe
I think PSW power on AliExpress have european stock still

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-TSDZ2-48V500W-750W-Central-Mid-Drive-Motor-Ebike-Kit-throttle-e-brake-lever/253929155021?hash=item3b1f5b69cd:g:aR0AAOSwA41c2mm-

Ignore the postage as we are having issues with the post to the UK from the EU as it was built outside the EU.

Waynemarlow said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-TSDZ2-48V500W-750W-Central-Mid-Drive-Motor-Ebike-Kit-throttle-e-brake-lever/253929155021?hash=item3b1f5b69cd:g:aR0AAOSwA41c2mm-

Ignore the postage as we are having issues with the post to the UK from the EU as it was built outside the EU.
That means you work for PSWPower??

Hi,

I recently installed OSF 1.1.0
48v 750w Tsdz2 I've been testing out about 2-3 months.

I love the increased pedal cadence and the info I am getting from 860c display.
Thanks to all who have put work into this project.

But I am disappointed in overall performance/utility compared to stock firmware.
The low end torque issue or when having to change gears/stop pedaling on a hill, the delay in power works against you as a cyclist. As 1-2 sec power delay can make a huge difference in split second decisions.

I read on this forum that the stock assist levels are
1-.4
2-.75
3-1.5
4- 3.0

Is this true?

I tried these settings on OSF to see if there was similar performance And i don't see any difference from level 1-4.
Does OSF have a cut off as to how high an assist it will give?

I should see a marked difference when going from 1 which is .4 to 4which is 3.0.

But no difference on OSF, on stock firmware you really noticed a difference.
Once at Top speed, does not matter which assist level I'm on, no difference when switching between them.
And I find top speed is the same regardless of what level I have it on.
I've also messed around with the 20 assist levels and5/7/9 to see difference, but not much.

I've been changing lots of settings around and reading on the forums.

Is there something I'm missing?
Any settings I might be missing?

I have startup boost disabled, meaning it's on

I don't have torque sensor calibrated, as I dont have access to a shop or weights atm.
Would this make a huge difference?
I can't imagine it would be so drastic, when it worked well B4 with out calibration.

I guess I would love to figure out a way to have the low end torque performance, instant power response (that was there with stock firmware) the amazing increased pedal cadence and all the great stats I'm getting on new display.(with OSF)
Is this possible?
Any suggestions as to other things I can try or tweak?

Hi,

I recently installed OSF 1.1.0
48v 750w Tsdz2 I've been testing out about 2-3 months.

I love the increased pedal cadence and the info I am getting from 860c display.
Thanks to all who have put work into this project.

But I am disappointed in overall performance/utility compared to stock firmware.
The low end torque issue or when having to change gears/stop pedaling on a hill, the delay in power works against you as a cyclist. As 1-2 sec power delay can make a huge difference in split second decisions.

I read on this forum that the stock assist levels are
1-.4
2-.75
3-1.5
4- 3.0

Is this true?

I tried these settings on OSF to see if there was similar performance And i don't see any difference from level 1-4.
Does OSF have a cut off as to how high an assist it will give?

I should see a marked difference when going from 1 which is .4 to 4which is 3.0.

But no difference on OSF, on stock firmware you really noticed a difference.
Once at Top speed, does not matter which assist level I'm on, no difference when switching between them.
And I find top speed is the same regardless of what level I have it on.
I've also messed around with the 20 assist levels and5/7/9 to see difference, but not much.

I've been changing lots of settings around and reading on the forums.

Is there something I'm missing?
Any settings I might be missing?

I have startup boost disabled, meaning it's on

I don't have torque sensor calibrated, as I dont have access to a shop or weights atm.
Would this make a huge difference?
I can't imagine it would be so drastic, when it worked well B4 with out calibration.

I guess I would love to figure out a way to have the low end torque performance, instant power response (that was there with stock firmware) the amazing increased pedal cadence and all the great stats I'm getting on new display.(with OSF)
Is this possible?
Any suggestions as to other things I can try or tweak?

I too have been round the houses with this problem. I find the motor only really starts to kick in at a cadence above 50. I have tried every configuration I can think of and still no joy. Not much use when pulling away from lights or on a hill. Once up to speed it’s fine.

SW102 OSF ver 1.1
How do I reset the trip? The readings keep accumulating. They don't reset on system OFF/ON so there must be some button sequence I'm missing.

Alfie said:
I too have been round the houses with this problem. I find the motor only really starts to kick in at a cadence above 50. I have tried every configuration I can think of and still no joy. Not much use when pulling away from lights or on a hill. Once up to speed it’s fine.

Yes this is my experience also. Ver 1.1. The torque mode doesn’t behave like torque mode and the field weakening code (high cadence) seems to limit the power output at lower RPMs. For example if I am climbing a steep hill with a heavy load without field weakening automatically engaged (back emf is lower than batt voltage) a huge drop off in power occurs. I haven’t got around to it but planning to roll back to .20 with my old screen to compare. Also sometimes I notice the current to motor thinks it is drawing is really high (18A) but on my independent power meter it is low (8-10A)

Cheers

Hangman said:
SW102 OSF ver 1.1
How do I reset the trip? The readings keep accumulating. They don't reset on system OFF/ON so there must be some button sequence I'm missing.

You can do that from the menu, under "Trip memory" if I remember correctly. Press up+down+power at the same time to access the menu. And switch the reset configuration from 'no' to 'yes'.

These are the settings I use. It is working better than the default settings.

Attachments

• Jeff's Features and configurations on display 850C-860C V1.0.0.pdf
    161.8 KB · Views: 155
Alfie said:

That is very interesting. This is the key reason for me trying ( and so far failing) to install this Open Source firmware, ie to remove that initial power lag when pulling away from stationary. Having lost the 2 smaller lower gear front chainrings with the installation of the TSDZ2, it can be imposable to get going on a steep off road hill with the stock firmware.

I did briefly try the Java version of the OS firmware, and it has a super feature where start up power was controlled by torque and not be pedal rotation. That is such a good feature that I had just expected that it must be included on the 860c display. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

jeff.page.rides said:

Thanks for this :thumb: My boost settings are the same as the regular assist settings so perhaps that is the problem! I'll up them and see if it makes a difference. I have configured the torque settings but can't say it made any difference. The only other thing I can think of is turning the field weakening off to see if that makes a difference.

Alfie said:
jeff.page.rides said:

Thanks for this :thumb: My boost settings are the same as the regular assist settings so perhaps that is the problem! I'll up them and see if it makes a difference. I have configured the torque settings but can't say it made any difference. The only other thing I can think of is turning the field weakening off to see if that makes a difference.

Lowering all the ADC settings, helped improve the low-end power.

I'm after some troubleshooting advice - just powered on my road bike that is running 1.0.0 on an sw102... No assistance...

Torque sensor seems to be working OK and gives me readings for each side when I stand on the pedals. But the motor doesn't seem to do anything when I pedal. Motor doesn't do anything when I try walk assist either.

I don't have my swim programmer with me otherwise I would try to reflash, but I do have a multimeter here at this location. Any idea where I should start to look? This motor only has 75km on it so I don't think it's a mechanical problem.

HughF said:
I'm after some troubleshooting advice - just powered on my road bike that is running 1.0.0 on an sw102... No assistance...

Torque sensor seems to be working OK and gives me readings for each side when I stand on the pedals. But the motor doesn't seem to do anything when I pedal. Motor doesn't do anything when I try walk assist either.

I don't have my swim programmer with me otherwise I would try to reflash, but I do have a multimeter here at this location. Any idea where I should start to look? This motor only has 75km on it so I don't think it's a mechanical problem.

First check that the battery voltage is higher than the low cut off set in the display settings!

ilu said:
HughF said:

First check that the battery voltage is higher than the low cut off set in the display settings!
Yep, I can confirm the battery voltage is fine. I'll have a look in a minute, see what could be going on.

Hi all,

I am helping a local Sydney user with their TSDZ2. They are wanting to move to the opensource firmware and purchased a 850c screen for this purpose.

I was surprised to discover that this version of the 850c supports the original TSDZ2 out of the box. It also came with an electrically correct cable to plug the screens 6 pin connector (not a green 5 pin Bafang connector) into the motors 8 pin connector. So far so good. The screen was tested with the TSDZ2 running the OEM firmware successfully.

While I was able to successfully flash the screen with the v1.1 850c bootloader firmware, the screen remains blank when trying to power up. I also tried the v1.0 850 bootloader firmware with the same issue.

I then tried the v1.1 860c bootloader firmware out of interest. In this case it will power on in a motor simulation mode? but only remains powered on while I continue to hold down the power button.

Appreciate any help.

mctubster said:
Hi all,

I am helping a local Sydney user with their TSDZ2. They are wanting to move to the opensource firmware and purchased a 850c screen for this purpose.

I was surprised to discover that this version of the 850c supports the original TSDZ2 out of the box. It also came with an electrically correct cable to plug the screens 6 pin connector (not a green 5 pin Bafang connector) into the motors 8 pin connector. So far so good. The screen was tested with the TSDZ2 running the OEM firmware successfully.

While I was able to successfully flash the screen with the v1.1 850c bootloader firmware, the screen remains blank when trying to power up. I also tried the v1.0 850 bootloader firmware with the same issue.

I then tried the v1.1 860c bootloader firmware out of interest. In this case it will power on in a motor simulation mode? but only remains powered on while I continue to hold down the power button.

Appreciate any help.

Do you have same versions of OSF on TSDZ2 and display?

dameri said:

I have tested powering up with just 36V on the screen and also plugged into my TSDZ2 successfully running v1.1 (with my 860c). No change in behaviour. Blank screen with 850c firmware. Display works with 860c firmware as long as I hold down the power button

mctubster said:
dameri said:

I have tested powering up with just 36V on the screen and also plugged into my TSDZ2 successfully running v1.1 (with my 860c). No change in behaviour. Blank screen with 850c firmware. Display works with 860c firmware as long as I hold down the power button
Probably and old and incorrect hardware version of 850C. The best bet is to use the 860C display as there are no reports of such issues with it.

casainho said:
mctubster said:
Probably and old and incorrect hardware version of 850C. The best bet is to use the 860C display as there are no reports of such issues with it.

Thanks for the reply casainho. I did wonder that and checked the back of the screen. Looks like manufacture 2021! don’t disagree re the 860c screen.B6A8EB97-7D29-4B0B-AB93-32E5D4C4E8F9.jpeg

mctubster said:
casainho said:
mctubster said:

Thanks for the reply casainho. I did wonder that and checked the back of the screen. Looks like manufacture 2021! don’t disagree re the 860c screen.B6A8EB97-7D29-4B0B-AB93-32E5D4C4E8F9.jpeg
Maybe I should change the wiki instructions and remove the 850C, as even if some old and this recent version does not work, so no point to recomend it.

HughF said:
ilu said:
HughF said:

Yep, I can confirm the battery voltage is fine. I'll have a look in a minute, see what could be going on.

It's water ingress into the motor casing, I'll get a replacement controller, suspect this one is scrap.

jeff.page.rides said:
Alfie said:
jeff.page.rides said:

Lowering all the ADC settings, helped improve the low-end power.

Thanks for that, I'm suffering from this on steep climbs too :(
Because the motor adds % power compared to torque x cadence, as cadence slows on the climb I lose power, so my cadence slows, so I lose power, so my cadence slow, then I can't climb any more.

I have been slowly raising the ADCs, to try and get rid of the ghost peddling, over run and random cut outs on rough terrain.

The mud "disabled" my speed sensor, but the motor behaved as normal. this wouldn't have been the case with the original firmware as it uses speed in it calculations. Is this part of the problem?

Back