Please help me critique my dream ebike.

no need for suspension with fat tires, i have 4.9 back and 5.2 front fat tires at 3-5 psi, no suspension frame at all and im just floating over everything at 60mph

Yeah, depends on road conditions.

I just never forgot the time I overlooked the size of a bump at a manhole cover. At about 50 mph, I found the back wheel about a foot off the ground. That was on an unsuspended mtb I was taking to the races. That no suspension bike was sweet on the silky smooth track. On local roads, not so sweet. I started buying full suspension bikes after that.

sean1072 said:
no need for suspension with fat tires, i have 4.9 back and 5.2 front fat tires at 3-5 psi, no suspension frame at all and im just floating over everything at 60mph

3 psi tire at 60 mph sounds like a recipe for overheating and delamination.

Chalo said:
sean1072 said:

I should've been more specific, for off-road I use 3-5 psi, at asphalt roads I use more towards the 10 psi

You cant sneak anything by Chalo!

sean1072 said:
Chalo said:
sean1072 said:

I should've been more specific, for off-road I use 3-5 psi, at asphalt roads I use more towards the 10 psi

I would change
- Motor top speed to equal cruising speed for good acceleration and hill handling (you can switch field weakening on to go a bit over)
- Don't size your single speed vehicle for a party trick or bragging right number which will make every other metric such as acceleration, hill handling worse
- Full suspension frame is a must have unless you want a crash on the first pothole you hit or first time you get ran off the road, also having a bike you can take for a spin off road without rattling you or itself apart doubles it's value
- If you aren't planning predominantly offroad, mid drive is pointless, adds weight, cost and a lot of stuff to break (have a cyc)
- Fat tires try to keep light by sacrificing wall trickness, making a blowout more likely. No bike tire is rated above 30mph especially not fat bikes which use tubes which add friction and heating, use regular heavy duty touring tire for 40mph top speed or moto tire if you are adamant on 60mph (which will drain your batter in 10 mins)

Result will be lighter, safer, cheaper more comfortable, better on dirt roads. Far superior all round.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. You have improved my dream ebike and I can't wait to share it with you when it's done. Hopefully within a couple months.

Enjoy the funnest part, the building of it. 8)

Back