QS 138 70H with Gearbox

Thanks for the excellent photos!

Regarding sprocket, do you think welding two together to get a wider sprocket would be better for the shaft? I don't want to round off the splines.

Jordan325ic said:
I wonder how sensitive the unit is to other mounting orientations, besides the increased difficulty in draining and re-filling the unit...
You are right about the orientation.

Are you thinking about using it with the transmission on the right?
I am not 100% sure, but considering how the venting system is done, using it on the right side probably the oil will end up in the "venting labyrint" and accumulate there. My understanding is that the oil will stay in the gearing chamber if it's mounted correctly and will tolerate a large angle of rotation, but 180° will probably cause some problems.

jhoexp said:
Jordan325ic said:
I wonder how sensitive the unit is to other mounting orientations, besides the increased difficulty in draining and re-filling the unit...
You are right about the orientation.

Are you thinking about using it with the transmission on the right?
I am not 100% sure, but considering how the venting system is done, using it on the right side probably the oil will end up in the "venting labyrint" and accumulate there. My understanding is that the oil will stay in the gearing chamber if it's mounted correctly and will tolerate a large angle of rotation, but 180° will probably cause some problems.

I think you're right. My bike is left hand drive, no problem. I like the mounting points. Obviously they all won't be used, but two or three of them can be adapted to work with a variety of motorcycle frames.

20210308_181158.jpg

Just mirroring what everyone else said. These are some great photos, turning into a very valuable thread for the community.

I also had some concerns about the orientation of the motor. I find it very odd that QS would design the motor in this way, they know these are being used for motorcycle conversions, why they would not design it for left side drive orientation is beyond me. It will be interesting if mounting it "up-side down" causes any issues with the lubrication.

Great to see that it has helical gears! I was worried about gear whine.

dforesi said:
I find it very odd that QS would design the motor in this way, they know these are being used for motorcycle conversions, why they would not design it for left side drive orientation is beyond me.

It IS designed for left hand side chain drive for motorcycle conversions. Or did you mean something else?

Is this motor using 60° or 120°Hall sensor phase angle? I hate that the information about QS motors are so limited.

SlowCo said:
dforesi said:
I find it very odd that QS would design the motor in this way, they know these are being used for motorcycle conversions, why they would not design it for left side drive orientation is beyond me.

It IS designed for left hand side chain drive for motorcycle conversions. Or did you mean something else?

You're correct... It was a late night. I was confusing myself.

So for those who have ordered the QS 138 with or without gearbox to the USA who was the supplier you used?

If you live in US you have these guys: https://www.facebook.com/ElectroBraap

I ordered from China to Sweden, QS138v3 (With gearbox), $430 including shipping but not including vat and tolls.

hugok said:
If you live in US you have these guys: https://www.facebook.com/ElectroBraap

I ordered from China to Sweden, QS138v3 (With gearbox), $430 including shipping but not including vat and tolls.
On the Electro&Co. website everything is listed as "international warehouse". Pretty sure it's just drop-shipping from the manufacturer.
I got mine from QS Alibaba, or easier would be SIAEcosys subsidaiary on Aliexpress.
https://qsmotor.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.38403e5f6kjwIA
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5079180?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000007.1.47c16129YF5wt8

Be aware, shipping is a few hundred $ and it will take about 2 months to arrive.

Yes shipping has gone up so much the delay then seems more of a pain.

A distributor in each major market wojld really boost their sales.

Don't get me started on Nucular.

Time to grow up become a real global company guys!

I actually think ElectroBraap have motors in stock in the US, could be worth asking them.

So from what I can tell, the shaft fits a 420 chain with a JTF249 sprocket from JT Sprockets. Same sprocket for Honda 125 Grom.

Does it need a retaining clip of some sort? If so, where do you find that? Or does that come with a JT249 sprocket when you order one...?

20210306_094023.jpg
Sprocket-with-retainer-plate.jpg

A very standard "17mm splined shaft" 420 or 428 sprocket will fit. I may have found a source for a 520 sprocket... I will update if it comes to pass.

Mine came with a 15T 428 sprocket, with retainer plate/hardware.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. I’m trying to fit this to a KX100 which I believe has a stock 420 chain and rear sprocket so that’s where I’m coming from.

If the motor was designed around a 428 chain, then it might be worthwhile upsizing to a larger set up, especially if i am planning on running higher current/torque then what was intended. Last thing I want is to strip the shaft, if thats even possible.

Finally a video of the motor in action from the guys at ZALO TECH

Found in the comments:
Battery:
24s17p VTC5A

Pushing 35 kw peak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhzN1Eg4tSk

hugok said:
Finally a video of the motor in action from the guys at ZALO TECH

Found in the comments:
Battery:
24s17p VTC5A

Pushing 35 kw peak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhzN1Eg4tSk

That's a great find! Looks like it has a ton of power. I don't speak the language but the video speaks for itself. Packaging with this motor seems like it should be a breeze. I did notice it looked like it might be a hair too wide to accommodate the foot brake, but that's easy enough to fix.

Not sure it really matters. There aren't any other versions that I know of. Not sure what QS stands for either lol

Quanshun Motor and 70mm magnet height :D

There there is a QS138 90H as well but not with gearbox.

Is a "higher" magnet always better, as in stronger more powerful?

Only downside being maybe heavier?

john61ct said:
Is a "higher" magnet always better, as in stronger more powerful?

Only downside being maybe heavier?

It's not "higher" it's just longer. It is not necessarly "better" than the shorter one that has a lighter rotor, less inertia, usually higher rpm, etc...

OK how about "better" for long steep hills & heavy loads at low speeds. Very slow top speeds.

More mass means slower to overheat in that context?

Or are the magnets a small component of overall mass? When people talk about iron, and "moar copper", how do magnets fit in?

john61ct said:
OK how about "better" for long steep hills & heavy loads at low speeds. Very slow top speeds.

Yes, exactly. It sure depends mostly on what use you want to make of it.

More mass means slower to overheat in that context?

I think you can say so, probably not much of a problem in most use cases.

Or are the magnets a small component of overall mass? When people talk about iron, and "moar copper", how do magnets fit in?

In this kind of IPM motors, magnet are embedded in the rotor laminations. Copper wire is in stator windings. How they influence performance is so complex that you can't really say much just from the lenght of the motor. I think you can probably assume that the longer motor will have higher torque and turn slower.

Back