Big update to the biker bar & order of the forums

LeftieBiker said:
The fact is, if the folk(s) running the site don't want a pre-built forum, then there won't be one. What I don't get is why there was, first, an enthusiastic 'Yes, great idea' and then, a few weeks later...this.

Me and Justin talked about the main focus that will underlie the forum redesign and we were both in favor of strongly being oriented towards DIY, since numerous forums now exist that cover ownership and selection of prebuilts.
So the new layout is designed to cater to DIY better.

LeftieBiker said:
Not building bikes from scratch for whatever reason shouldn't disqualify anyone from being able to talk about them here, in a forum about what many of us ride.

I agree. There is no change in our policy in that regard.

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but is there a way for members to delete our own profiles? I can't seem to find one.

No, there isn't. Why would you want to do that?

If you don't want to post here for whatever reason, that's all you have to do is not post here. ;)

If you really don't want to even be able to log in any more, your login can be deactivated or banned, but the profile can't be removed without removing all of the posts associated with it, which we don't do because that destroys all the valuable information publicly posted over the years.

Yeah I agree, it's got to be DIY focused. Besides that we still get the users posting their prebuilt questions in
EBike General Discussion
or any of the other EBike categories, like Technical, T/S
or E-Vehicles General Discussion
or Battery Tech

I would ask you to think how many categories of subject matter you really want as a forum.
7 now for ebikes

I never really liked the forums that had to many subject matters on their forums. I mean you run across the forums with regions of country and other countries as subject matter for their forums main page. It dilutes the forum.

neptronix said:
Me and Justin talked about the main focus that will underlie the forum redesign and we were both in favor of strongly being oriented towards DIY, since numerous forums now exist that cover ownership and selection of prebuilts.
So the new layout is designed to cater to DIY better.

nicobie said:
Seems to me if we are going to call this joint 'ebikes.com', there should be at least a section for ready made ebikes too. If only for a place where people can post their reviews, suggestions, problems and mods.

:idea: ?

Unfortunately i do not have a decision from Justin on that. It's unlikely that ebikes.com will be our new domain at this point.

markz said:
I would ask you to think how many categories of subject matter you really want as a forum.
7 now for ebikes

I never really liked the forums that had to many subject matters on their forums. I mean you run across the forums with regions of country and other countries as subject matter for their forums main page. It dilutes the forum.

I agree. The listing can't get too long or a majority of people's eyes glaze over.

Let me rethink this plan and present version 4 :mrgreen:

I didn't care about deleting all of my old posts - I just wanted to remove my profile here. No big deal. I've just developed a sour taste in my mouth when faced with a site that has forums for politics and all manner of OT things, but looks down on people who buy their ebikes instead of building them. And apparently also those disabled individuals who want to buy a mobility scooter instead of building their own - like, you know, a real Punk Rocker. I don't know if this has something to do with Justin, or if it's more local, but in any case I don't feel the desire to come here anymore. So, to the helpful folks here: Bye. I'll still read occasionally, but doubt I'll post again here.

So here we are not even having made the transition, and we're already losing longtime contributing members. :(

LeftieBiker said:
I've just developed a sour taste in my mouth when faced with a site that has forums for politics and all manner of OT things, but looks down on people who buy their ebikes instead of building them. And apparently also those disabled individuals who want to buy a mobility scooter instead of building their own - like, you know, a real Punk Rocker.

I agree with you. I wouldn't leave ES over it...because I'd be abandoning those that need help here. But I don't like it.

(I edited out a long bunch of crap that nobody cares about).

LeftieBiker said:
I've just developed a sour taste in my mouth when faced with a site that has forums for politics and all manner of OT things, but looks down on people who buy their ebikes instead of building them.

Folks like that don't have much to gain here, when they can just read Micah Toll's latest glowing review of some overpriced hot garbage. It's simpler that way. If it breaks, buy another one.

Here's another question:

If we don't want to encourage prebuilt stuff here, what do we do about all those that come here for help troubleshooting their prebuilt stuff? Without doing a tally, just from memory, I'd guess that most of those that come here for help are trying to fix prebuilt stuff, and not DIY kits--some scooters, some bikes, some other stuff.

If we want to discourage prebuilt stuff, should we ignore them, or help them but only enough so they are good to go? Or try to get them to DIY more on their stuff? Or just do what we've always done? Or what?

Sorry for the questions, I am kind of confused by things and just want to get a perfectly clear idea of how prebuilt stuff is supposed to be treated from now on. I don't want to guess and be wrong and screw things up for the way you guys want the forums to be run.

The evolution of DIY eh?

Happy to see a few threads nuked. They offer nothing new except more consipracy thories and wild politics.

But focus on DIY is good 👍

amberwolf said:
If we don't want to encourage prebuilt stuff here, what do we do about all those that come here for help troubleshooting their prebuilt stuff? Without doing a tally, just from memory, I'd guess that most of those that come here for help are trying to fix prebuilt stuff, and not DIY kits--some scooters, some bikes, some other stuff.

If we want to discourage prebuilt stuff, should we ignore them, or help them but only enough so they are good to go? Or try to get them to DIY more on their stuff? Or just do what we've always done? Or what?

We should do what we've always done. You can come here and talk about your prebuilt all day but the forum categories and how the forum presents itself will be aimed at DIY better.. one way or another.

A lot of people come here with a prebuilt bike first before they start modifying things. They should be welcome as ever, but you know.. our members will naturally nudge them into building a better machine ;)

amberwolf said:
Sorry for the questions, I am kind of confused by things and just want to get a perfectly clear idea of how prebuilt stuff is supposed to be treated from now on. I don't want to guess and be wrong and screw things up for the way you guys want the forums to be run.

Hey no problem.

jonescg said:
The evolution of DIY eh?
Happy to see a few threads nuked. They offer nothing new except more consipracy thories and wild politics.
But focus on DIY is good 👍

Happy to have the stamp of approval from an OG builder. 8)

It looks to me to be a good balance right now when it comes to the total # of categories.

I will continue to say, and remind other es users, do not have a prebuilt category to post in, and leave it as it is.
Why someone may ask?
I mean a prebuilt ebike is still an EBike.

Those who do come in with their prebuilts will just post in the respected category as it has been done in the past, they'd be posting in categories such as EBike General Discussion, EBike Technical, EBike Troubleshooting, EBike Non-hub Motor Drives, Battery Technology, Motor Technology.

The people who do come in here with their prebuilts don't even specify what they have most of the time. But neither do the new diy'ers.

And no I dont think the disabled people have been looked down on, I think those posts have been responded to in a helpful manner, yes more so then the prebuilt people. Maybe if some design factors can be added to the page to emphasize DIY.

I see the way it is currently at the header of the page is
"Endless Sphere" In big font
and underneath is "DIY Electric Vehicles and more.." in smaller font
and to the left of that, they're drowned out by phpbb in huge font.
Yes I know a new design is coming, and possibly new forum software with their new design quirks.

222.png

neptronix said:
markz said:
7 now for ebikes

I agree. The listing can't get too long or a majority of people's eyes glaze over.

Let me rethink this plan and present version 4 :mrgreen:

amberwolf said:
If we want to discourage prebuilt stuff, should we ignore them, or help them but only enough so they are good to go?

Fixing things for yourself is inherently DIY; there's no reason to hold back from that.

Another thing you guys can look into and discuss is having a solved button for a posted thread. There are a few flavors when it comes to that, either the OP can mark solved, or a moderator can mark solved if its clear the original problem has been solved.

It may have already been discussed, I did a search within this thread using term solved, and searched user: neptronix term: solved and nothing came up. But other forums have used that method.

One thing I havent searched but came to mind is having a time lock on thread after 8 months or 1.5yrs or whatever.

Then theres having a two mouse clicks of a popup "are you sure you want to reply to a thread thats X-years old"

markz said:
Another thing you guys can look into and discuss is having a solved button for a posted thread. There are a few flavors when it comes to that, either the OP can mark solved, or a moderator can mark solved if its clear the original problem has been solved.

I've mentioned that we'll have something like that with Xenforo in other threads, but yeah, that's in the works, and we totally need it.

markz said:
One thing I havent searched but came to mind is having a time lock on thread after 8 months or 1.5yrs or whatever.

Then theres having a two mouse clicks of a popup "are you sure you want to reply to a thread thats X-years old"

I swear i've seen a xenforo plugin that warns you about necroposting. I think there should at least be a warning instead of a restriction. I think i have one on my 'to try' list. I'll check it when the time comes.

Yeah our members have good feedback at times. I've been collecting the good feedback and think we should be asking our members how we are doing and what we can improve on a regular basis as a rule.

In the past i think i may have been a little dismissive and i'm changing that. I take good feedback in my business and apply it, and we have a much bigger budget than we used to, so i should do the same here.

I thought the purpose was to advocate to the general public to promote ebikes. I guess a focus on the 3% to 5% who DIY is one way to go.

The site name is nice, hippy-dippy and all, self-sufficient and self-sustaining. Except, while you could easily make the site pay its own way, you choose to live out of Justin's pocket. Not very self-sufficient.

Amberwolf is wrong about deleting accounts and all posts, has happened at least twice that I am aware of. For Leftiebiker, all you need to do is offer a sum of cash for a user's personal info, "doxxing", and all will be deleted to cover up the crime. You may need to make a sizeable donation and have a mod or two in your pocket.

Or, you could demand evidence of the crime as a victim, something the site OWNERSHIP has an ethical, moral, and legal obligation to provide, and that will get your account and all your posts deleted within 60 seconds. Thursday, May 25, 2017, 7:52 am. That is when I got the confirmation from Ypedal of the criminal act, thru a PM, screenshots of which are going public real soon. Marty and Methods got a copy as well. Mr Fechter was not on the list. Took a minute or two to write the request for documentation. Less than one minute after sending, all gone.

Eric said he offered Mr Fechter a "gift" of $25,000. Seems he may have gotten his money's worth.

I wonder if Justin is aware of the legal and civil liabilities current management has made him personally, and his business, subject to?

I wonder if there is a man here who has the balls to tell the truth. Haven't found one yet.

Justin is ultimately responsible. Will you really let him pay the price in order to line your own pockets?

I warned you I do not play nice. People threaten my family, somebody is getting nailed to the wall.

I'm also wondering what this is actually about.

YPedal isn't with us as a moderator anymore.
Whatever happened 10 years ago is finished business. I was not involved in any of those deals. And you also misunderstand my role here.

Also what's your previous username? i doubt a guy who has a 2 year old account is telling these stories from any kind of experience, unless we're talking about a person we banned from the forum... :roll:

What is your source of information and who are you?

Back