E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

kereama said:
Hi team,
I'm new here too, i'm really interested in the bomber vs fighter discussion. Is the fighter also like really powerful ?
does it handle better being a bit lighter and can it range further.
I am concerned about only having 2 gears though compared to 9 on the bomber.
Thank you in advance for any opinions/advice.
Kezza.

Bomber is the better bike because the frame is stronger.
I don't need a stronger frame because I don't ride that fast, said no one.
Even if you don't go that fast, it's better to ride a fast bike slow, than a slow bike fast.
Riding a fast bike slow gives you a lot of range, and doesn't stress the bike.
Gears on a fast eBike are mainly for optics,
but it's nice to have a granny gear to get you home in case of a power failure. 8 miles is my record.

Right, so my chief issue with my B52 was maintenance of the chain when riding in wet conditions. It picks up dirt and etc which causes wear. You have to regularly clean and lubricate it, plus it needs adjustment. If only we had a solution to help stop the crap getting on the chain in the first place, then i could cut down the maintenance heaps - given that belt drive doesn't appear to be an option i was not coming up with anything practical.
My clever solution (i think) is borrowed from the HPV scene and had been staring at me the whole time on my Rotovelo.
The top and bottom section of chain are encased in special tubing, don't ask me what it is, but the chain runs inside it and the tube protects the chain from all the rubbish.
If i get around to it, i'll make up some sort of guard at the front to stop spray from the front wheel (hard to get perfect fender) and same deal around rear sprocket.
For now, i've just got the tubes restrained at the rear as it was quick and easy - making front supports would be a fair bit more difficult as there is nothing handy to attach to.
I'm aware my bike could do with a good clean, but then it will just get dirty again...

Attachments

• 20210406_202557.jpg
    20210406_202557.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 674
  • 20210406_202618.jpg
    20210406_202618.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 674
  • 20210406_202632.jpg
    20210406_202632.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 674
Hey all,
So I got the controller today and wanted to get some connectors for it. The length of cable coming out of the controller is too short for how the bomber is set up.
I was going to use XT150 connectors for my phase and battery my concern is that the rating on them is 100a continuous and 120a for 10 sec peak. My battery is capable of 80a continuous and 160 peak. do you think this will be an issue or do you have another connector that you could recommend? Also if the phase amps are higher will that be an issue with the phase wires?

Thanks!

so many questions!
1. are the XT150 connectors good for phase and battery?
2. I have already run 10 AWG wire to the motor so unless there's an reason that's what im sticking with
3. speaking with GRIN they thought that this shunt was the way to go.

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/ca-accessories/shunt0-5.html

4. im going to run all of the connectors inside the frame of the bomber instead of over and around the Vboxx. its always annoying to separate the phase and hall sensor wires. I may still have them come back out the back so I don't have to disconnect the battery to get at em...

5. I was looking at the wires going from the crystalyte controller to the key and they look way beefier than what's coming out of the Kelly.. I'm going to look into this.. but if anyone has insight on any of the above that would be grrreeaattt.

Started doing a little research on 5403 motors. Was mainly interested in comparing it to a QS205, and kind of accidentally discovered why the 5403 has been such a good motor for my purposes. One thing I didn't know was that this motor was never available over the counter, and was made specifically for Stealth.

Being a street rider, and living in Texas, I ride a lot of the time in a very hot environment, often at 90% + power output riding across town, with a lot of stop and go. It turns out that as far as high power motors go, the 5403 is considered to have better heat management than most other comparable motors, like a QS205. I was puzzled why a QS205 is rated as only a 3000w motor when it obviously puts out way more power than that. I now think the reason is because when power output is continuously more than 3000w it probably overheats, while a 5403 can run over 4500w without overheating. I found out that Onyx come from the factory set to run at 55% of their Kelly controllers 80 amps. A lot of owners will not be able to resist the temptation to change that to 100%, and after a few seasons I think there's going to be a lot of Onyx's with toasted motors, especially if they're in Texas.

It was just a case of dumb luck that I ended up with this motor, because I didn't know anything about eBikes before I bought my Bomber. Luckily for me Stealth did an excellent job making a well engineered bike that you don't have to be an expert to enjoy.

A few pages back I said Stealth was in danger of falling behind newer bikes like Onyx, and Sur Ron, but now after digging down a little more, that's not really a true statement. All things considered I still like my Bomber better than either one of those bikes.

Theodore Voltaire said:
I think a QS205 has 50mm magnets

The QS205 has many different heights of magnets with lots of difference wattage ratings.
55H/50H/45H from 1500W - 4000W there might be one listed as 5000W.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:
Allex said:
Building a new pack for beta/P7 here
Old pack
20s6p 18650 samsung 30Q 72V18Ah 90A drain
VS new one
18s5p 21700 Samsung 40T 65V20Ah 175A drain

The new one is bigger in size but more punchy!

Mine can 175A, but I will only use around 100A with my riding style.

That's not surprising considering it's you Allex, but I'm talking about anyone else lol :D

My 20S14P Sony VTC6 battery that I built in 2018 have been delivering 150A almost every day I ride my Bomber. In the following months, after a very looong :evil: :evil: waiting I might start pulling 200A with Nuc 24F :mrgreen:

Lots of bomber owners out there, how about f 37 fighter owners?
anyone having enough fun on a fighter, finding it powerful enough?
Some say the bomber can range further and has a stronger frame?
mabe not these days?
thanks in advance
Kezza.

kereama said:
Lots of bomber owners out there, how about f 37 fighter owners?
anyone having enough fun on a fighter, finding it powerful enough?
Some say the bomber can range further and has a stronger frame?
mabe not these days?
thanks in advance
Kezza.

I see your point about range of the newer Fighters, but I don't see a bright future for $8000 Fighters, or even Bombers for that matter. Not with $4000 Sur Ron's that go 50 mph, or $5000 Onyx's that go 60 mph. Both of those bikes are now selling like hot cakes. Now that eBikes are finely becoming more popular, I'm starting to notice a trend that doesn't forebode well for Stealth. It used to be that practically every eBike rider I met knew Stealth was a premier brand of eBike. Now more times than not, they've never even heard of them.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Started doing a little research on 5403 motors. Was mainly interested in comparing it to a QS205, and kind of accidentally discovered why the 5403 has been such a good motor for my purposes. One thing I didn't know was that this motor was never available over the counter, and was made specifically for Stealth.

Being a street rider, and living in Texas, I ride a lot of the time in a very hot environment, often at 90% + power output riding across town, with a lot of stop and go. It turns out that as far as high power motors go, the 5403 is considered to have better heat management than most other comparable motors, like a QS205. I was puzzled why a QS205 is rated as only a 3000w motor when it obviously puts out way more power than that. I now think the reason is because when power output is continuously more than 3000w it probably overheats, while a 5403 can run over 4500w without overheating. I found out that Onyx come from the factory set to run at 55% of their Kelly controllers 80 amps. A lot of owners will not be able to resist the temptation to change that to 100%, and after a few seasons I think there's going to be a lot of Onyx's with toasted motors, especially if they're in Texas.

It was just a case of dumb luck that I ended up with this motor, because I didn't know anything about eBikes before I bought my Bomber. Luckily for me Stealth did an excellent job making a well engineered bike that you don't have to be an expert to enjoy.

A few pages back I said Stealth was in danger of falling behind newer bikes like Onyx, and Sur Ron, but now after digging down a little more, that's not really a true statement. All things considered I still like my Bomber better than either one of those bikes.

Not really, I would say that the qs is a better motor than the old 5403 as it is more efficient so it can actually produce same amount of power and not get that hot as clyte.
What makes 54xx special is that it have a lot of mass thus it takes more time for it to get hot. But once it does get too hot it also takes longer time to cool down and in this case I prefer a lighter motor as in the end your waiting time would be the same, but with less mass at the rear.

Allex said:
Not really, I would say that the qs is a better motor than the old 5403 as it is more efficient so it can actually produce same amount of power and not get that hot as clyte.
What makes 54xx special is that it have a lot of mass thus it takes more time for it to get hot. But once it does get too hot it also takes longer time to cool down and in this case I prefer a lighter motor as in the end your waiting time would be the same, but with less mass at the rear.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this Allex. Good to know for when the day comes that I need a new motor.

Another good indicator of what bikes are selling, and what bikes aren't is the aftermarket. Both Sur Ron, and Onyx are attracting a substantial, and growing aftermarket that's appeared in a relatively short time. Stealth which has been around since 2008 has basically zero aftermarket.

bigbore said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:
Allex said:
Building a new pack for beta/P7 here
Old pack
20s6p 18650 samsung 30Q 72V18Ah 90A drain
VS new one
18s5p 21700 Samsung 40T 65V20Ah 175A drain

The new one is bigger in size but more punchy!

Mine can 175A, but I will only use around 100A with my riding style.

That's not surprising considering it's you Allex, but I'm talking about anyone else lol :D

My 20S14P Sony VTC6 battery that I built in 2018 have been delivering 150A almost every day I ride my Bomber. In the following months, after a very looong :evil: :evil: waiting I might start pulling 200A with Nuc 24F :mrgreen:

I’m here to tell you that the Nuc 24F is life changing. I went from a maxed out MaxE to a Nuc at 3/4 power and I find my bike scary again. I’m running a 205 V3 3.5T at 250 battery & 406 phase amps off of a 20s15p 30Q pack......it’s just outright amazing. Peaking at 17,000 KW stuffed in to that motor. I still have another 100 phase amps to go! Just hit 68 mph but chickened out going faster but definitely had way more! The front wheel is hard to keep down for about 15 mph to 30 mph......2 stroke on the pipe kinda hit!!! After a pretty hard 20 plus miles on an hour ride the motor and the controller were only warm. Huge shout out to Sketch again for lengthening my ride times!

Attachments

• 379A3A10-DEFE-4E89-B100-2F1529E0F059.jpeg
    379A3A10-DEFE-4E89-B100-2F1529E0F059.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 636
  • EEA703AB-CA7B-4138-B7E0-8ED45A0BEC2C.jpeg
    EEA703AB-CA7B-4138-B7E0-8ED45A0BEC2C.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 634
Theodore Voltaire said:

I used to be a Crystalyte 54xx importer. There is a long story about Stealth and Crystalyte developing the 54xx series, and initially it was only available for Stealth. At some point, Crystalyte started making them available to others, but it had to be in bulk purchases. I imported 50 motors into the US, two 5405s, eight 5403s, and forty 5404s. In my opinion the 5404 was the best. Top speed was lower than the 5403, about 44MPH with the standard Bomber battery/controller running gear, but accelerated better than the 5403 due to the wind configuration/copper fill and was alot faster than the 5405 with no noticeable difference in acceleration. I eventually sold them all, and donated my last 5404 to Jack Fields' US based H52.

Attachments

• 54xx.JPG
    54xx.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 621
I find that kind of trivia interesting Rix, that's for sharing. My bike runs great for my type of riding, but of course more acceleration is always better, except maybe on litespeed's bike :shock: Every bike ever made is a collection of compromises that will suit one rider better than another. That's why there never will be one perfect bike for everyone, and what drives us all to customize our bikes for our own personal tastes, and needs.

Theodore Voltaire said:
litespeed, what issues did you have fitting the QS205 to your stock swingarm?

Sorry, I’m a poser here! I have an EEB framed bike. I originally was buying a stealth but knew I wanted more power so built my own....with parts available. In hind sight I wish I had the stealth because I can’t peddle past 24-25 mph.......cadence is too high to be comfortable. Problem with these big motors and the el cheap-o frames.

Here is mine,

Tom

Attachments

• 13C72BF5-06F0-4079-8198-5F6A0BA518FF.jpeg
    13C72BF5-06F0-4079-8198-5F6A0BA518FF.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 611
litespeed said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
litespeed, what issues did you have fitting the QS205 to your stock swingarm?

Sorry, I’m a poser here! I have an EEB framed bike. I originally was buying a stealth but knew I wanted more power so built my own....with parts available. In hind sight I wish I had the stealth because I can’t peddle past 24-25 mph.......cadence is too high to be comfortable. Problem with these big motors and the el cheap-o frames.

Here is mine,

Tom

Oh I dig, that explains a lot. I was wondering how you got so much battery capacity in the frame.

Since I put my super duper low seat on my bike I hardly pedal anymore, unless a cop is watching :D

Back