Tempted to lick my 50 volt battery

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Just to see how it would go. Would I risk dying or just my tongue explode?
Years ago I was using a 90V battery for a neon-bulb sequencer circuit. I accidentally touched my chin to it while bending over to work on the circuit. It felt like my chin had been blown off. I ended up with two little circular burns on my chin.

So I wouldn't recommend it.

Eastwood said:
. . . .are you really considering?

Of course he is. You'll get used to it.

LewTwo said:
Makes about as much sense as "What would it feel like to shoot myself in the foot".

As I say, you'll get used to it.

markz said:
1) Teach the op and any readers

2) Warn them (op & reader) of the dangers

3) Get to see the video.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
I think it’s as low as 50 milliamperes needed to possibly kill if the current is across the heart. Maybe with a large enough current even if I just touch the terminals to my tongue, it will still have part of the current across my heart and possibly kill me...

Shorting a battery by touching both terminals with your tongue has zero risk of passing current through your hearth. Same with fingers of the same hand, no risk at all. The risk is local injury, but still can leave you with permanent damage if the current is high enough. Current from a battery does not travel through the body unless the the - and + are touching different parts of the body. In the case of touching both terminals with your tongue the current will simply cross through your tongue to close the circuit between + and - .

Even a lightning strike has only 20% chances to pass current through your hearth, even though the voltage and current are thousands times higher, and the electricity in such case usually travels through the body between the feet and the lightning contact point. Then, the chances to survive a lightning strike are about 90%, meaning that half of those who had lightning current passed through their hearth do survive after momentary cardiac arrest.

MadRhino said:
OK, serious answer. Fechter was giving you the opportunity to calculate the power that would cross your tongue tissues, but the battery current output is also required to do the math.

If a 50v battery has a capacity of 1 kw/h and a C-rate of 0.5 C, it will supply 5 Amps (250 watts of power) through your fingers, or tongue. Now, if that battery has 60 C output rate, it will supply 600 Amps (30000 watts of power). The first will be painful and likely cause a small burn, the second will literally explode the tip of your tongue and leave it with 3rd degree burnt tissues.

My 24s RC lipo ebi...

....lying.

Lol thats not how that works. lol.

V=IR, M. Rhino. You know that.

So.. if its 1.4 ohms ( tounge) .. ad 50v.. (pack) ( as stated earlier)... the current will be 35.71429 amps and power wil be 1785.71429 watts. Also known as one point seven eight five seven one four two nine kilowatt ( 1.875kW).

1.875kW. Through the tounge. At 35~ amps. V=IR

Period. there is no wa a lipo of incredible ebike durability and superpower such as MADRHINOS will push 30Kw into the 1.4 ohm tounge. No matter what the superduper label Crate says.

A 20 Ah batt ( 1000wh as you said) is still gonna push its ( at least ) 10 A if it is a 0.5C batt.. sooooo.... if it cannot push 35A ( probally can) it will push its 0.5C ( 10A) and I have no idea where you get the magidkd "5A" number ( wtf is this 5 amp figure comming from? ) , norr the "600A" figure you ( might have) made up out of thin air.

10(A) x ( 50v) = 500w.

Lol.

Just the kind of discussion that got me so hooked on ES 12 years ago. Having been stupid enough to experience KFF a few times with lipos, I definitely would have no interest in KFT.

You won't get that kind of power through your tongue. With no measurement, let's estimate the tongue resistance is 1000 ohms. This is what we get between needle electrodes in other parts of the body. 50v/1k=50mA. Power dissipated would be 2.5W. I can assure you that 50mA will get your attention, but 2.5W probably won't explode your tongue.

If the resistance was 100 ohms, then things would get more exciting with 500mA of current and 25W of dissipation. It would hurt bad.

fechter said:
You won't get that kind of power through your tongue. With no measurement, let's estimate the tongue resistance is 1000 ohms. This is what we get between needle electrodes in other parts of the body. 50v/1k=50mA. Power dissipated would be 2.5W. I can assure you that 50mA will get your attention, but 2.5W probably won't explode your tongue.

If the resistance was 100 ohms, then things would get more exciting with 500mA of current and 25W of dissipation. It would hurt bad.

See? That makes sense, and more than satisfies any curiosity I might have, WITHOUT actually trying it!

It is possible to electrocute yourself with 48V, 100mA across the chest will do it although cases are rare. Most fatalities I have heard of are more of a cooking process with telephone battery backup supplies (ie whole rooms fillled with cells) where someone has managed to jam themselves between the busbars.

A hot dog or a raw chicken breast would be a good proxie for a human tongue. Touch the two wires onto the meat and see what happens. Your outer skin on your fingers has much more resistance than a wet tongue.

It will result in a horrifying burn. It may not be spectacular with sparks, and sizzling with smoke, but...the section of tongue that the current passes through will cook for however many seconds you hold the probes onto it...

It will be very painful.

Dead flesh will turn gangrenous, and you will have to go to a doctor to get the dead portion cut off.

Pretty much. Part of your tongue would become lifeless and cooked, not indifferent to frostbite. It would rot or fall off, taking you out in the process.

The resistance determines the current flowing, current kills but voltage drives it
The dissapated voltage x currant determines the heat generated
Path through the tongue will tend to be through salty blood rather than less salty skin and take a fairly direct path so depending on whether it's the tip of the tongue or further back, the volume heated will be small or large - much more damage locally to the tip but much more volumetric damage potentially further back I'd guess though it might prefer nerves or other tissues that may be more conductive.
Resulting heat will probably stop you continuing so depends on whether you've been stupid enough to attach croc clips or touch with probes.
Floating power supplies are used for safety reasons so danger of death is probably only plausible if you decide to hold the metal probes with your wet hands.
Of course if you have open wounds on your hands for some reason: https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

So, I tested my own tongue and got a figure of 300KOhm (and 1.2 MOhm through fingers) which a standard ohmeter, avoiding open wounds and standing on my right leg with my left arm behind my back
60v through 300KOhm would result in 0.2 mA and 12mW
Specific heat capacity of water is 4.16 Kj/Kgk = 4.16 j/gk so it would take 5.7 minutes to raise that 1cc of tongue by 1 degree
I predict your tongue isn't going to explode, it will sting a bit and you'll stop pretty quick because the voltage to make your nerves twitch is a fraction of a volt so it will set off all the pain, heat etc receptors but not cook you
THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION you don't know me and I might be wrong or lying and if you touch the probes together it will leave vaporised molten metal in your mouth which will ruin your day

Interesting. That's quite a bit higher than I expected.

I know what a 9v battery feels like. 5x higher voltage would seem to be pretty painful, but I guess it won't make for an entertaining video.

Somewhere I have a 1uF, 20kV capacitor. About the size of a shoe box. Now that makes entertaining videos.

Same effect, but maybe seemingly less intimidating, you could daisy chain six 9V batteries together, and use that for your test :bolt: :wink:

Or maybe go for 24S https://i.redd.it/0hev98jnb0v21.jpg

genesimmons.jpg

You don't suppose that's why Gene Simmons had that cow tongue grafted on, do you? He just HAD to go licking some big battery?

[youtube]3q9qt03-Q7s[/youtube]

It is obvious that licking 50 v battery leads is going to shock and burn a bit. Even a dodo like myself knows something.

E-HP said:
That would be a huge tongue, like a cow tongue. I think you need to measure using a human tongue distance.
yeah, I'd already tested my own tongue at 300 KOhm, I'm just not posting that. The tongue test is completely different as I didn't skewer my tongue with the probes - that would just be silly
This was the chicken breast test, though I didn't have a raw one or an appropriate sausage and the salt content probably makes a difference.
Could have hooked it up to a 67V batt or 240V mains I guess but too late, it went in a wrap for lunch

BobBob said:
Could have hooked it up to a 67V batt or 240V mains I guess but too late, it went in a wrap for lunch

There are limits on what sacrifices are made in the name of science. Of course, at 240V, it might be a novel way of reheating your food :lol:

Tell that to the 240V Europeans, UK'ers, Aussies, Africans and the Asia continent.
Makes ya wonder if AC vs DC electrical shock is a difference on muscle contractions.
https://youtu.be/snk3C4m44SY?t=224

1111.png

E-HP said:
BobBob said:

There are limits on what sacrifices are made in the name of science. Of course, at 240V, it might be a novel way of reheating your food :lol:

Isn't that higher voltage at lower amperage? Our 125v is at 20a.

Ah, what IS that Shakespeare line about a Man's tongue melts from trying too hard to be a gentleman?

[youtube]fKuHWIu1iL4[/youtube]

fechter said:

As a kid playing with landline phone circuits in the UK in the 80's (black boxes and loading spectrum games remotely down phone lines without modems using a lot of amplification) - I had several 50v DC shocks on the tongue when stripping cables with my teeth and the phone rang - wasn't that bad... I know it's not the same current as a battery and not saying I'm going to try my ebike battery - or suggest anyone else should!

Back