new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
People cringed at a photo of a diesel truck spewing black smoke unto an electric vehicle.

:lol: I can imagine.

I have been calling 3D print shops. So far a lot of people like my belt drive conversion idea.

It is really simple but complicated at the same time.

There is a web site called thingiverse.com.

I have not googled it yet but may be able to help create the file. I need the 3D files to print.

electric scooter parts have the freewheel clutch. Bolting to a freewheel is only 4 bolts and the teeth on the freewheel (8 teeth) total take the brunt of the load applied. OK for 1 horse power maybe two but that is pushing it I think. 1,000W ok but 3 kilowatts. NO way. A freewheel clutch sounds better.

Then there is the small motor pully wheel for 8 to 1 gear reduction. It must bolt to a 10mm dual D bore shaft.

After that it as simple as the right size belt to replace the chain. Very simple to convert. Mabye 20 minutes to remove the sprockets and replace with pully wheels then put on the belt.

Like I said. Simple but complicated when you know very little to nothing about how to create 3D files. Once I get the files I can send to multiple print shops to get estimates.

The guy said he owns a 200 3D printer and loves it. However is limited to which plastic it can use. The filer is very important so want a printer that can do the strongest plastic filler for the lowest price. Like the wheels in a geared hub motor. Nylon I think. He says his $200 rig can do nylon plastic but are many types. It only does some types.

I will need a lot more information before ordering a 3D printer.

Thanks.

LC. out.

DrkAngel said:
DLC - you do realize that each LTO weighs more than a 24oz beer?
Size is almost exactly the same as a 12oz beer can.
24 is the size of a case of beer and weighs more than twice as much. 42.24lb
latecurtis said:
I have 24 LTO - 2.5V cells coming in a couple days. I have a new battery in my van.

I did the research and found out after ordering them that each cell weighs 800 grams which is 1.7 pounds so 24 * 1.7 = 40.8 pounds.
Research?

yea. I see it. Great deal. Thing is they already shipped out the LTOs.

I really do not want to return them but instead of buying a really expensive DC step up converter and really expensive 50 amp or more 15S charger for them I could order the pack you just posted.

I can also build the 56V LIFEPO4 pack which will run a 3 kilowatt motor. If I buy the 48V pack you posted and build the LIFEPO4 pack I still have the 13S - 7P Lion pack.

Everything above 36V I will have at least 70 maybe close to 100 miles range without the LTOs.

I can then run 15S LTO exclusively. Any of my bikes except 0ne can do 36V. That is the 3 kilowatt brushless motor.

15S - LTO = 25 pounds. About the same as the 22 Ah I ran for two years on the currie. I will just take off the 58V controller for the rear motor and the 15S LTOs can run the rear chain drive which is rated at 36V and 750W with the 36V Bafang up front.

I can also run the 1,800W brushless motor and the 20" Turbo with the 20" hub motor. I can run the front chain drive on the 20" dual suspension also and use my 13S - 7P pack for the 1,000W rear hub on the back.

The only bikes I don't want to run LTOs are the Giant Roam and the 26" DimondBack outlook when I build it so I can keep those bikes light.

The thing to do with the 9S LTOs left over. Well I could use those to jump start vehicles in the winter and make some $$$$$ :lol: :lol:

OR. Look for a 24V motor. Maybe two. As 2.7 * 9 = 24.3V. 2.3 * 9 = 20.7V .

download (4).png

One or two. ??? The LTOS could easilly do two for 1,800W 35 mph gearing. :mrgreen:

9S - LTOs are only 15.3 pounds. 10 pounds lighter than 15S LTOs and that way I don't have 9 LTOs just sitting around collecting dust.

Also I wont need to put one on the front and one on the back. I can run BOTH on the back and mount the LTOs up front. I know DA remembers my little experiment way back in 2014 I think where I ran dual 250W razor scooter motors on the front of a bike using one chain and wheel sprocket.

Lets find that.

download (5).png

It actually worked. I wish I could find the video I did back then. Page 74. It was 2015.

That sucks. Video was deactivated. It was hilarious. It fooled a lot of members but not DA. :lol:

I can do some cool stuff with windows movie maker and a program called MGI phot suite. I did a video where I jumped over a city bus with an e bike and looked real. That is probably deactivated also. Don't know why.

Any way I will be keeping the LTOs. I know 3 - 22 AH - SLAs were about 25 pounds or more so is nothing I have not delt with before. I can keep my heavy e bikes in the van now so can just carry the LTOs down in my back pack.

I will be building a 24V e bike , 35 mph capable with dual brush motors on the back to run with 9S - LTO. Not sure what e bike yet. It will be a beast for sure. That will be #8 or #9 e bike. :lol: :lol: :lol: I am losing count. :lol:

Now that I will have all the batteries I will ever need I am a mad man. :twisted:

Not sure what kind of brushless controllers they make if any at 24V but a 2,500W 48V brushless motor could be 1,200W @ 24V.

Good for a cargo bike with 25 mph gearing for hills. :!:

I will see about those batteries. I got a lot going on this week. A lot of stuff will be coming I ordered and have other urgent issues non e bike related to deal with.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Interesting
Two unite motors on the front :shock:
Thats a lot of angular stress on your mount, hate to see you hit a bump on that bike.

latecurtis said:
Lets find that.
download (5).png

Now that I will have all the batteries I will ever need I am a mad man. :twisted:

I rode it a few days.

maybe 15 miles.

Ran ok.

15 mph maybe.

Lot of bumps on those roads. Pothole hell.

Think I took them off as someone was going to give me 50 bucks for them. Not sure if he did or gave them back.

I know I can make a bike go 35 mph with 24V.

That will be cool.

All I need now is a 15S and a 9S BMS.

15S LTO = 10S Lion - 42V. I got two chargers not using.

9S LTO = 6S LiPo - Either of my 6S LiPo chargers can do that.

It don't have to be dual motors but would be ideal.

Those high rpm high power brushless motors are difficult to gear at rated voltage. At 1/2 voltage rpm is also 1/2. So basically I will look for the most power for the price. If the motors are really cheap then two motors at 1/2 their rated voltage can be geared for the same speed as a single motor at rated voltage.

I saw 2 kilowatt and 2,500 that were 48V I think. for less than $100. I wont need as many LTOs for a high powered e bike. Because LTOs are super batteries and kick ass when it involves discharge rates. I could even run three motors on an e bike. Those two 900W motors on the back and a high output brushless motor on the front at 1/2 voltage but 40+ mph gearing. :twisted:

Thanks.

LC. out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo fire wont burn. LTOs 50 mph at 9S. 15 pound battery pack. :twisted:

https://www.amazon.com/AmpFlow-A28-400-Brushed-Electric-Motor/dp/B00AG21RUE/ref=sr_1_9?crid=Q0AIL948USTR&dchild=1&keywords=ampflow+motor&qid=1618301395&sprefix=ampflow%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-9

I used to post those a long time ago.

They are all 12 to 36V but rated at 24V

They got 1500W for a lot cheaper.

Let me look.

That one is 3,200W but $500.

Not economical but a real beast.

download (6).png

https://www.amazon.com/AmpFlow-E30-400-Brushed-Electric-Motor/dp/B00AG21Q64/ref=pd_sbs_2?pd_rd_w=u4fc3&pf_rd_p=2419a049-62bf-452e-b0d0-ca5b7e35a7b4&pf_rd_r=9JMP0HZ3RPS35631J5T0&pd_rd_r=06aaf86a-0551-4c91-901b-67f6b59046a9&pd_rd_wg=skNyK&pd_rd_i=B00AG21Q64&psc=1

1/2 the price but two are almost the same horsepower. 3,160W so why spend over double the money for 40 more horsepower as two or more brush motors can run off single controller to turn one wheel sprocket. Brushless can't. Imagine two on the back with a belt drive and can mount the 15 pound LTOs in a front heavy duty basket. 15 pounds of LTOs and a 5 pound chain will even weight distribution. The triangle rack would be empty so could put a lithium or LIFEPO4 pack there.

download (7).png

Actually when I put the 3 kilowatt brushless motor on the back of the Haro V3. I have the Currie rack on it. I could put 6 - LTOs on the top of that. 12 - LTOs on a triangle rack and the last 6 in a front basket for 24S LTO. :D 8)

Maybe I still will get two - 9S BMS and one 6S - BMS. I could still build a crazy fast 24V bike with two 2 horsepower 24V Ampflow motors.

As soon as I unbox the LTOs I will measure them and line them up on a flat piece of wood with braces on the top bar of my e bikes and see how many will fit. I can always double stack but could be the answer I have been looking for. If 42 pounds can be centered for even weight distribution then 42 pounds would not be a real issue now would it.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Just don't crash the bike!
Shorted cells have output capability to arc right through the frame.
Picture worst short of 12V car battery, quadruple that to get some idea?

latecurtis said:
I have been calling 3D print shops. So far a lot of people like my belt drive conversion idea.

It is really simple but complicated at the same time.

There is a web site called thingiverse.com.

I have not googled it yet but may be able to help create the file. I need the 3D files to print.

electric scooter parts have the freewheel clutch. Bolting to a freewheel is only 4 bolts and the teeth on the freewheel (8 teeth) total take the brunt of the load applied. OK for 1 horse power maybe two but that is pushing it I think. 1,000W ok but 3 kilowatts. NO way. A freewheel clutch sounds better.

LC. out.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2191603

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.19.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.19.58 AM.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 621
I really like that. The motor looks like an RC motor. Very clean mount.

Yea. It would be great to print that. I need to read the entire post and see if it tells the model of the printer.

I just rolled out of bed as company stopped over. I was up all night drinking as usual. A million things to do but feel like what comes out the back end of a dog. Thought about going back to sleep until dark but some things need to be done in daylight.

I would like to ride the Currie and test the Bafang motor under load. Plus a dozen or so other things I have been putting off as am a really lazy alcoholic.

markz said:

Summary

Building a homemade electric bike using 3D printed parts! It was definitely a learning curve

:shock: Damn, there's that word again "definitely". I just wonder if the period goes inside the quotes or outside.

Period should go outside but exclamation mark should go inside?

DrkAngel said:
markz said:

Summary

Building a homemade electric bike using 3D printed parts! It was definitely a learning curve

:shock: Damn, there's that word again "definitely". I just wonder if the period goes inside the quotes or outside.

Period should go outside but exclamation mark should go inside?
Defiantly, exclamation mark, period!

Does anyone know what inexpensive forks will fit on the Currie ? I need to order them A.S.A.P.

The bike shops are busy so need to put them on myself maybe with a little help from the guy down stairs. They do not seem to be right for the Bafang motor. Maybe too wide to start with before they broke and I fixed them. I do not have a tool for a star nut so probably need threaded. Not sure what is on it now.

I rode it a couple miles and the chain separated AGAIN !!! The hub motor got me home and put it in the van and drove to the local bike shop where they sold me brakes for the front but the wheel has at least an inch movement when pushing on the side. It is so off center that the brakes may not even work. I can push it to center but easily goes back off center.

I did put BOTH torque arms on it and the hub motor seems to work ok. At high rpm there is a little noise and it had some form of protection built in either the motor or controller as I attempted a rather steep incline and it slowed way down so got off and walked about 100 feet or so. That was on the return trip home after the rear chain separated.

I did buy a chain the size that broke but some of the teeth on the motor sprocket are really bent and ground down. The pin actually came out. Was not even the master link. The sprockets may not be aligned. I am about to order a belt drive conversion kit. It comes with hardware and a belt. It says the belt pully for the wheel can bolt to a disk brake rotor. I know it will bolt to the spokes but do not want that. The belt is included but not sure if it will be long enough. I am desperate as sick and tired of chain drives. I know belt is smoother and better and no chain issues with alignment.

https://www.amazon.com/NAVARME-Stroke-Engine-Motorized-Bicycle/dp/B08H5DDYVB/ref=asc_df_B08H5DDYVB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=494990108093&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11822767517375595248&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1023608&hvtargid=pla-1176853385943&psc=1

If it will not bolt to the motor shaft I guess I will be screwed until I find a machine shop to make me a custom part. I just hope the belt is long enough. It has a chain tensioner. I may order a replacement motor sprocket as if I can get the Currie to work with the new chain then can try and convert the 1,000W - 36V Unite motor on the front of the dual suspension.

Thanks.

LC. out.

download (3).png

I just read reviews on it and the design is piss poor as there are no sides to prevent the belt from slipping off. What's worse is electric scooter parts is out of stock on the dual D bore 10mm motor sprockets for 410 - 415 chain so basically the Currie is about useless. It is nothing more than a parts project now.

The LTOs and LIFEPO4s are showing up today according to my G mail. I think they are located in PA. which boarders OHIO so that is good news.

The only thing I can think of that could work is to take BOTH motors off the 26" dual suspension. A running e bike but very heavy. Too heavy of a frame for two motors especially with the added weight of LTOs.

I can take the motor off the rear of the Currie as lord knows when or if I will find a new motor sprocket dual D bore for 410 - 415 bike chain.

I can put the rear 48V hub motor on the back of the much lighter Diamondback and maybe even throw a Bafang on the front.

The Currie can get the 1,000W - 36V #25H chain and sprocket and when I get new forks the other Bafang up front. But Maybe not.
I promised one Bafang as a gift to someone. I am not totally convinced how good they are. Like I said it made a noise at high rpm. It seems to have normal power for a geared hub motor as I am familiar riding them as have the two geared e bikeling motors.

At least this way I might have one good chain drive on the Currie and a good hub motor on the Dimond Back. The heavy duty Currie frame is perfect for 15 LTOs and can run my 13S - 7P new Lion pack for the 48V rear hub and the 10S - 8P new pack for a Bafang up front.

The Currie can get a new 500W geared hub kit later on when I get new forks. It should run fine with the 36V - 1,000W chain drive on the back until then. This is just a thought. I have not made up my mind just yet. I was going to order a 1,500 to 3 kilowatt DD hub motor for the Dimond Back but can do that for the 26" dual suspension as that heavy bike needs the extra power.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Dear Defiantly LC

latecurtis said:
Does anyone know what inexpensive forks will fit on the Currie ? I need to order them A.S.A.P.

The bike shops are busy so need to put them on myself maybe with a little help from the guy down stairs. They do not seem to be right for the Bafang motor. Maybe too wide to start with before they broke and I fixed them. I do not have a tool for a star nut so probably need threaded. Not sure what is on it now.

I rode it a couple miles and the chain separated AGAIN !!! The hub motor got me home and put it in the van and drove to the local bike shop where they sold me brakes for the front but the wheel has at least an inch movement when pushing on the side. It is so off center that the brakes may not even work. I can push it to center but easily goes back off center.
Everyone insisted your "repair" was inadequate-unsafe-recommended against!
latecurtis said:
I did put BOTH torque arms on it and the hub motor seems to work ok. At high rpm there is a little noise and it had some form of protection built in either the motor or controller as I attempted a rather steep incline and it slowed way down so got off and walked about 100 feet or so. That was on the return trip home after the rear chain separated.
250w motor will not handle "steep incline"!
latecurtis said:
I did buy a chain the size that broke but some of the teeth on the motor sprocket are really bent and ground down. The pin actually came out. Was not even the master link. The sprockets may not be aligned. I am about to order a belt drive conversion kit. It comes with hardware and a belt. It says the belt pully for the wheel can bolt to a disk brake rotor. I know it will bolt to the spokes but do not want that. The belt is included but not sure if it will be long enough. I am desperate as sick and tired of chain drives. I know belt is smoother and better and no chain issues with alignment.
Most everyone has recommended that your chain drives were much more trouble than they are worth.

DrkAngel said:
latecurtis said:
I am desperate as sick and tired of chain drives. I know belt is smoother and better and no chain issues with alignment.
Most everyone has recommended that your chain drives were much more trouble than they are worth.

Belt drive will not change that, because it's even more sensitive to setup and alignment than chain.

Sometimes I think LC is doing empirical research to test the hypothesis about persisting in one's folly.

The LTOs are in.

Just got back from Home Depot.

I got hardware and lumber to build a box for the LTOs. It will be sturdy as got extra brackets. I got washers the right size so may be able to fix the problems with the front of the Currie.

Yes the forks are repaired but did shoot a video and it rides fine. It has both torque arms. Also a 350W Bafang motor is not like a 1,000W DD. I really just want the Currie set up with 15S - LTO and the 1,000W - 36V chain drive on the back and 350W Bafang up front. It will obviously be my main commuter. I am not doing jumps on it and riding it normally just like in the video.

Thanks.

LC. out.

latecurtis said:
some of the teeth on the motor sprocket are really bent and ground down.
Should destroy a new chain pretty quick!

download (8).png

Somebody is lying.

The box of LIFEPO4s were there and that is all that was there.

It says both packages were delivered. The guy at Walgreens that does the FEDX orders said that is all he has.

I called fedX.

I am not getting screwed our of $622 bucks. If I do I will be going back to prison for manslaughter or first degree murder. Someone will pay for sure. That is a lot of money.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Not sure.

I called fedX and they are supposed to call me back.

Should destroy a new chain pretty quick!

I looked and the sprocket for that is out of stock so removing the gear reduction motor. I am having no luck at all.

I guess I will be installing the 1,000W motor from the 26" dual suspension and putting it on the back of the Currie.

That is if I am not in jail for busting someone in the side of the head.

Why would fedX say they were delivered if they were not ????? The LIFEPO4 was delivered and same address and same day. Probably on the same truck.

I will believe Battery hookup and the FedX driver before I believe some clown that works in a store.

4/5/21

11:50 AM.

Yea I was right. The clown in the store was a complete retard. He looked in the locker where the LIFEPO4s were last night then said he did not have them and tried to dismiss me and proceeded to talk with a couple at the photo desk.

I politely interrupted him by saying SIR. and told him to please look behind the photo section in the back. He even looked at the box back there but the print was small with my name on it, He told me it was not my package. Yea.

Well guess what. I called the store today after filing a claim for a lost package and spoke with a lady that works there. That package was in fact mine. I was fooled by how easy he tipped it up to try and find a name. I guess the guy had some muscles. :lol: I would have used a monkey wrench though and dreamed about it last night. I remember what the package looked like and he said it was not my name on it.

Anyway it was my package and I guess the lady had her reading glasses on. :lol:

I tried to cal fedX three times to let them know I found it but could not get past the Ai. I even typed in how to talk with a human at fedX and when I followed the instructions I got the hazardless materials hotline so just gave up on that.

So far it is a good day. My tire was flat on the front passengers side when I went to pick up the LIFEPO4s last night and remember brushing against a curb when I took a corner too sharp but did not see any damage when putting air in it.

Today is is fine and carried the LTO box upstairs on the top of my head. I might have to order the connecters like in the video. I do not see them in the box. I have not completely unpacked them yet though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqaZESrFgWs

Yea.

No connecters and nuts. I called battery hookup and they are looking for a US vendor to source them. I asked them to send a link to my e mail address. I said I don't want to wait 2 months for international shipping so they will look for a US vendor.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 471
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back