Audio recording from internet site

markz

100 TW
So there is a website that posted up audio of some speakers that I would like to record.
Legally of course, through a charitable contribution to the main office for the area as thats where the conference is held every year. Where literally thousands show up, this years its on Zoom and so its a charitable contribution instead of the private company making recordings and selling the audio that way.

There is no file.
Its strictly just audio.
I click on play button on the far left and it will play or pause the audio.
I can let it run, or click anywhere along the timeline of the audio to any point in the audio.
Basically its like the ES subject line when you post, so its a different color then the background of the website and thats the audio timeline. I move the cursor to anywhere and click it goes to that time.
There is an overlay of the time your at and the total time.

I hope I do not have to get a mic to record putting the mic close to the speakers and click play and record from mic to some software.
Is there a more techy way to get into the code of the website to rip the code to a file?

First of all, you are accessing the file through a link on the site? Does it have its' own player or does it open your windows media player or?

Sounds easier to let me see the site. If it is membership, I guess I can't.

My suggestion is to search Google for "Audio Converter." All sorts of free online help will pop up. Don't download one, use the online version. The problem is they don't all work. So you might try several before you get what you want.

You will want the exact URL address of the audio file itself. If you right click it you can either copy location or what I normally do is open in new tab so you can see the whole link, etc.

But a few years since I've made one that wasn't from YouTube, I don't remember which I used. This looks familiar. But you may have a hunt ahead. https://convertio.co/audio-converter/

Oh yeah, the kewlest file type to convert to would be the AIFF. Then there's MP3. But you can go ahead and make whatever you want.

Don't know how to do this? But I have the internet.
record audio from computer

Looks like ya need a program. I have Windows 7. The sound recorder program is hiding some where?

Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> Sound Recorder

I might be hallucinating but I didn't see it till I did this.

Type the word sound in the Start Menu search box. In the Programs list of search results, click Sound Recorder

I would download the best free audio editor shareware called Audacity. It is free and super easy to use

I remind you I don't see the page you want to take the audio from, I don't know the file, I'm limited in talking about this.

Have you ever used a YouTube converter? You can do this the same way. You bring up the page with the converter, cut and paste the URL for the file location, then it creates the file type of your choice.

Audacity might be just fine for you if you want to go that way. https://www.audacityteam.org/

Their tutorial. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_audio_playing_on_the_computer.html

I will try a few things, I have used Audacity before, I have used youtube downloaders before.
What I will do is email the office and see if they have the audio file itself to email me.
I bet they just dont want a lot of D/L and upload load traffic from their website as that would cost money.

It'll cost the same to upload to EMail.

Been so long since Windows 7 I'm stuck for remembering that sound recorder, which I probably wasn't using anymore anyway. But I'm sure it's the same thing as the voice recorder program on Windows 10, which will sound terrible if you record what's playing on your computer.

Look for a Virtual Audio Cable; it's a "driver" that emulates a sound device's input and output. Since you are probably using a program that can't actually choose the sound device it outputs to, you would change that device within the OS's sound control panel, for playback devices, to the VAC's "input" end.

Then open your preferred sound recording program (audacity, etc), and change it's recording input to the VAC's output end. Change it's playback output to the physical sound device on your computer, so you can hear it's output. If the recording program you use doesn't have these options, you will need to pick a different one to record with.

Set the program's recording options to match your desired results, and start recording, then go back to your browser /etc and start the playback. The rest you can probably figure out. :)

Desktop computer is hardwired to the ISP router.
Downloaded a few audio programs, tried one but need to confirm where file is stored.

I may get away with an always open Zoom room, clicking on the internet sites audio and Zoom recording the audio that way. I have noticed some rooms have recording capabilities, and have only been cohost of a Zoom room once.

-----------------------------------------------------

Internet guy came today, replaced the modem router and snugged up the outlet and checked electrical panel.
There was no fee, but we will see when the monthly bill comes.

I was getting horrible wifi of 20 d/l with hardwire being 320 which is what we pay for.
I checked with my cell phone and a new ipad for wifi, right next to wifi and on another level.
Old wifi was 10-25 d/l no matter what device, no matter how far away or close.
New router is good now for wifi for the ipad next to router and on different floor it is about the same for hardwired speed.
My phone on the other hand is complete and utter garbage, LG K20. It still gets 20 d/l with massive ping with confimermation its on wifi, cell data turned off.
My cell bumps me out and pauses of the biggest internet radio, iHeart Radio because of the 20dl speed.
It pauses on another internet site I use for audio podcasts after the cell phone goes into sleep or whatever after 8 minutes the audio pauses but does not cache. I unsleep the cell, from dark/screen off to normal on and it takes awhile to get audio back going again.
I paid C$150 for this phone 2 yrs ago, to get a new unlocked cell will cost the same with the similar specs.

I may look for a 16gb ram cell phone or see which mobile cpu is best and maybe see if new cell phones have 5ghz wifi on them.
I hardly use my cell phone anyways.
I stocked up heavily on data when it was on sale for $10 per GB. I think the limit is 1 year. Pay as you go kinda sucks because I've run out of minutes while talking on the phone and had to top up just to call back friends. I made sure I got 1000 minutes, good for one year across North America.

I wont change providers, but I do want a better dl speed with my cell. Its only 2.4Ghz as its not up to date with 5Ghz wifi signal.

Battery on the LG K20 is getting worse and worse.

Time for a new cell phone, but I am too cheap.

OBS studio can capture desktop audio output even on Windows 10, which has restrictions against doing such.
it is a video capture program though so i'm thinking it is not capable of producing audio only. It will produce video files.
Some tools may exist to dump audio streams out of mp4/mkv files it creates.

There's likely an easier path, but at least one workable solution exists.

Back