new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Front
https://www.electricbike.com/torque-arm/
Buy the torque arms pictured in the article.

Lots of good info on rear dropout designs.
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Dropout_and_Hanger_101_3354.html
https://surlybikes.com/blog/i_know_a_lot_of_dropouts

99999999999.jpg

Attachments

• 999999.jpeg
    999999.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 616
  • 99999999999999.png
    99999999999999.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 616
  • 9999999a.jpg
    9999999a.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 616
IMG_0191.JPGIMG_0193.JPG

Yea.

I did not realize they were aluminum or would never put a hub motor on them.

I just need the strongest design but not as wide so I can fit two torque arms on it.

I have to see how much I got on my card to order.

I am wondering if the forks on the front of the DimondBack outlook are steel or aluminum. I have little magnets somewhere. If the magnet don't stick than it is aluminum.

Thanks for those links.

LC. out.

Yea your right magnets will tell ya if its aluminum or steel.

I guess metric/sae tape measures are banned in the good ole usa
4-3/8" so 4" is 101.6mm and 3/8 is 9.52mm, 110mm fork.
Though I bet you put the tape measure end claw on the outside of the forks dropout not in the picture. As the widths of the dropout itself puts it to ~4" total not 4-3/8. See if you put the tape measure claw on the inside of the forks dropout it comes to ~4" as mentioned with the dropouts width.

dropout widths.png

IMG_0195.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0197.JPGIMG_0198.JPG

Yea. The vintage fork on the Dimond Back Outlook is 3/8" less width between the dropouts.

Two torque arms will fit but doubt they are steel as that bike is the lightest bike I own.

I would not want to make the mistake of installing the Bafang on the front unless I can reinforce the drop out with steel.

That will not be easy as have to cut the pieces with a hack saw and drill several holes for bolts as well as run a 50 foot extension cord to run my grinder outside to cut the steel for the axle to fit.

I did want two Bafang hub motors on the Outlook though with a single throttle.

Not sure what to do at this point. The Currie will need a new fork though anyway so may as well get a steel fork the same width as the fork on the Outlook or a bit less width if possible.

Thanks.

LC. out.

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

Interesting, the 4-3/8 fork is bent a bit, 3.95" is 100mm. 110mm (4-3/8" or 4-5/16") is 20mm downhill axles.

How thick is that flat plate steel you have in the picture?
Maybe slide if inside the forks dropout spreading the fork a bit.
You could use a cordless drill to drill out the dropouts then use a metal hacksaw and file to precision. I use a ruler caliper to scribe the width of the motor axle, but you need to get the angle of the dropout right to line up the flat plate with the fork to hose clamp. It can be a bit off, its not big deal.

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/torque-arms.html

edit
I hope you know that the people you see using pliers and wrenches for torque arms are doing it for a laugh, or else they need to get going so they install a wrench to use to get to the home depot to buy steel plate to make torque arms. You should never use notched/lipped washers to use for torque arms. I have posted a few times where Justin from Grintech talks about torque arms, and the power it takes to spin the axle out of a non torque armed dropout, about 40Nm. I am not about to go looking for that but I have posted it in the last week right at the time stamp. Its in one of his hour long videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKWAcpqj-A

There is the second video.

Yea. High tensile steel and threaded. 4 inches to 4 - 1/8" max. Preferably 4". inside space between drop outs.

I did not fully understand the specs. on the links for forks you posted. Just looking for a link on e bay or Amazon. Amazon is better as a lot of e bay sellers refuse to ship to a PO. box. I can pick up Amazon orders at Rite aide just before Wall Mart.

If Battery Clearing house is out of Bafangs I can get a geared hub kit off e bay or Amazon for the Currie but should get the right forks that will fit the Bafang motors in case they do have more.

If you can post an Amazon link to the fork I need it will be greatly appreciated.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Plan D. The DimondBack Outlook.

Yea. The forks are steel and can fit two torque arms on them. They are the right width for the Bafang motors.

I did some digging and found my magnets.

I can also use both Greentime controllers and a single throttle.

There is no lawyers lip but there is a point at the bottom of the dropouts (top in the pics.) which I need to file down so it is flush with the rest of the dropout.

Hopefully I will have a running e bike to test out soon.

The top two pics below shows the tiny magnets sticking to the dropout. It did not stick to the broken aluminum fork.

Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 596
As the Hub Motors Turns and the LiPo Batteries get recycled ?

I am debating if I should try and charge up the old LiPos or recycle them.

I used every trick in the book to stop any future disasters with hub motors and drop outs on this 26" DimondBack.

I will need to make a Home Depot run soon as am looking for more of those steel clamps to do the front torque arms and a Wall-Mart run as well for another small vice grip for the other side up front. It should keep the nuts nice and tight

I might just retire the Currie for awhile. I will go over what Markz posted and see if I can understand it. There is just a lot of information and hopefully can figure out which fork is the best.

If the shape of the fork allows me to use vice grips as well as a torque arm on each side I should be good to go. High tensile steel is also the best choice.

I really like that style but do not see it in a 26" fork.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• download (14).png
    download (14).png
    35.2 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 560
Steel forks for front hubs!
Aluminum cast is near guaranteed to break, especially when weakened by grinding, filing, hammering or excessive tightening or torque ... aluminum plate welded is usually, sufficiently, strong and durable when combined with torque arm.

Steel forks for front hubs!
Aluminum cast is near guaranteed to break, especially when weakened by grinding, filing, hammering or excessive tightening or torque ... aluminum plate welded is usually, sufficiently, strong and durable when combined with torque arm.

Yes.

I learn as I go.

What I learned is to see if a magnet will stick to a fork BEFORE installing a hub motor on a fork.

I wont give up on the Currie but might give it a little time out until I find a suitable fork.

Not sure if there are any Bafang motors left. I was going to give someone a Bafang so hope so. I need to get this 26" Outlook going so I can test both Bafangs under load.

Working on it today. I need to make a WallMart trip and Home Depot. I need to fix the flat on the 20" Turbo and test the Giant Roam as well. I need to charge both my 36V lithium packs today.

I will see if I can come up with something for those 26650 cells. The LIFEPO4s. I really want to get close to 60V to that 1,000W hub motor on the 26" dual suspension. I need to test the forks on that with my little magnet also as if it dont stick I need to take that Bafang off the front.

Much to do.

I know Markz posted several links for forks but am about to look on Amazon right now and see what is available. If it looks like it will work for a hub motor just give it a thumbs up or down if not the right one. Anybody who is following this post. That just makes it more simple as I am kind of lost when it comes to the specs on those forks. The four most important things are

1. threaded for the Currie.

2. high tensile steel

3. 4 inches between drop outs. 4 - 1/8" maximum.

4. No annoying lawyers lip.

If all those are true a thumbs up will work and then I can place an order.

Thanks.

LC. out.

https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Bicycle-Cruisers-Threaded-Multiple/dp/B07ZHMKM5D/ref=sr_1_49_sspa?crid=4V00PFEMFRZS&dchild=1&keywords=bicycle+forks+26+inch+steel&qid=1619986118&sprefix=26+inch+steel+bicycle+fork%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-49-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUkxTQU43VDI5WUc4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc1Mjg5MUY1TEdHU1AwT09SUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzQwMjc5MlhEQ0owWlo2WlZQSCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

download (15).png

Not sure if that can fit on the Currie. I will look for the specs. DA would know. He is a Currie guy. I might just look for a 500W direct drive or a front motor with a larger axle instead of a Bafang for the Currie. Not sure what is available.

I know they make 2 kilowatt front hub motors but do not know why. I thought 1,000W was the limit to safely run a front hub.

I think they are called Striker motors. They may even be geared which would make them 15% better in torque than a direct drive right ? I will look them up again. I would like a rear one for Easy Street. (the 700c hybrid)

download (16).png

If I find a rear hub like that Easy Street is getting hooked up. I really can not imagine the power of that. It would CRUSH any 1,500W direct drive. I bet that motor would be a whole lot of fun and even Tom would take a second look at that if I put one on the back of Easy Street. No way I will put it on the front though. That would be SUICIDE !!!! :roll:

Also I need pedal gears for Easy Street so a front kit is a deal breaker. I need a rear kit.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Fat bike front forks come in steel and 135mm dropout, i got a monster alloy set with 150mm dropout 15mm thru axle for a future build or donate to someone in need uk.

Grins all axle would drop straight on the 150mm with a nice rim and spokes make a nice front end get the tyre pressure right.

download (17).png

Well I am not sure if Bafang ever did give me 50% off on the first two when I told them I had trouble hooking them up but if they did I just made up for it by giving them a lot more bussiness.

I ordered three more so will have six total. One is a gift though for someone,

I will be putting one on the front of the Currie when I get new forks and one on the front of the Haro V3 that is getting the 3 kilowatt brushless chain drive in the rear.

I still want a BMC rear 700C 2 kilowatt geared hub kit for the back of Easy Street. Then there is the Silver 27.5" Dimond Back. Not sure what I am doing with that. Perhaps some type of RC motor or something I can print out whenever I get a 3D printer.

I will need to order two more of those 18 amp Greentime controllers and six torque arms. I got the steel clamps at Wall-Mart I needed but they did not have the small vice grips I need for the front of the 26" Diamondback Outlook.

If anyone knows where I can order a rear version of that BMC Striker 2,000W geared hub motor kit please let me know. If I have to I will order the front kit and just put it on the back of the Silver Dimond Back. I could get a 500 watt rear and front 700c motor for Easy Street , my 700c hybrid. I won't give up my pedal gears on that bike as it is super light and easy to pedal. It sits up high so don't have to bend my knee that much.

Check that out. I could put three Bafang motors on that.

download (18).png

Thanks.

LC. out.

download (19).png

I called BMC and they are out of stock.

I told him I was interested in a rear version of that and gave him my e mail.

That will be perfect for Easy Street. My 700c Giant Cypress Hybrid or the silver 27.5" silver Dimond Back

It depends on the wheel size and what rims are available.

Also not sure when a motor will be available. I won't be using the 40 amp controller either. am just buying the motor as I want at least 60 amps if the motor can handle it. I doubt 40 amps can do 40 mph. Not sure.

53V * 40A = 2,120. NO. There is a 15% heat loss I think. I will need at least 45 amps.

45A * 53V = 2,385W.

5/3/21 - 7:07 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0endXEqogw

Two Bafangs , Two 18 amp Greentime controllers and one thumb throttle.

I used a single 40 amp DC breaker. I just need one more small vice grip for the front. I do not want any more broken dropouts. I have torque arms on both sides on the front and vice grips on both sides on the back.

I called the bike shop today and they said they might be able to thread the forks I got out in the van. I just need to check them with a magnet. I think they will fit but will double check tomorrow.

I should be able to ride the Diamondback Outlook tomorrow if it don't rain.

It did not show it in the video but both V brakes are working great. The rear wheel needs true but a zip tie stopped the rubbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4jPaEIuBA

Thanks.

LC. out.

LC. out.IMG_0232.JPGIMG_0233.JPGIMG_0234.JPGIMG_0235.JPGIMG_0236.JPG

I guess nobody posts anymore here.

I am very confused on forks now.

I just tested the Giant Roam fork the 700c e bikeling hub motor is on and is aluminum also.

I tested the 700c hybrid that hub motor was on when I rode it back in NY and it is also aluminum but it held up. I rode that 700c front hub motor several times and never broke the drop outs.

I tested the 27.5" Silver Dimond Back and is also aluminum. I am testing the 26" dual suspension in a few minutes. It is down in the van.

I really do not know what I should do about the Giant Roam. Also what I will do if the 26" dual suspension forks are aluminum.

I called the local bike shop about the Currie and as long as I remove the rear motor they will put a steel fork with no lawyers lip and set up for a v brake for under 50 bucks unless they have to order a brand new fork. I am dropping it off tomorrow.

I am confused though about the Giant Roam. I do not want the forks to break. It is my best bike.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

LC. out.

I dont log in as much anymore, riding more, fishing more. After getting vaccinated its like getting out of jail, you know that feeling. Being couped up in the house for a very long time, days on end of trying to fill time and not leaving the house for days except for groceries and toilet paper. Canada is worse then India's reports, but we all know India's drastically undercounted. I literally just logged in because I wanted to check a few User Control Panel things out and go over a few other things that I've been doing a couple days ago. I was watching a Luna Cycle video, where they are comparing a $9k store bought Specialized ebike to Luna's Giant diy kit sold as a package, and also Luna's "fastest ebikes" video, he mentions some insightful things. Eric's a smooth talker, a natural born salesmen though you wouldnt know that just by looking at him, as I he dont wear no suit and tie. I read something a day or two ago you posted, I aint going to find it and reread it, but by now you should know speed is voltage and kv of motor, so if you want to reach 40mph then choose a combo that meets your criteria, speed has no relation to amps discharge, you should know that by now. If you dont then just play around with Justins motor simulator or trip simulator, you can even put in non hub motor info, like mid drives that you just adapt the info into the specs of the computer program justin wrote. He even added mid drive a year ago to the sims. There is no need to be confused about forks, or bicycles. Use the search function, it is your friend. Yes I am not bothering to format this post in any way. Its a wall of text that I am sure loads of people just love to read and I am sure they have read until this point :lol: :lol: ok sheeesh I guess I can scan some more posts. I still dont know what your adjustable lockable wrench is doing on the axle nut. But then I see its on a socket, I sure dont know what you are doing but you've probably smoked a lot of it. One key advice is to have the proper tools, having a socket set along with a wrench set is the basics. Also having the proper size hose clamps is good to have, they are cheap. Forks, yes there are many variables these days with the new age different sizes. But if its a straight threaded or straight non threaded fork, its easy peasy. Make sure you have enough length, thats why when you buy new they are so long. I still need a fork for my fat bike, 1-1/8 non threaded, means the stem clamps around the fork but loosely at first, then you pop on the top cap to hold the stem down tight, tighten that first, but make sure the fork rotates smooth, to tight you'll know. Threaded is different but its easy to figure out. The tapered forks are the new age b.s.

FFS. Your builds never get better. You piss hundreds of dollars on half assed builds and seem unwilling to learn and progress. You ask and get good advice and turn around and provide silly excuses for not using the great advice these fellows have stuck by you and try to help.

As described by Justin, the “Donald Trump of ebike sellers.” Banned from most eBike forums.
markz said:
I dont log in as much anymore, riding more, fishing I was watching a Luna Cycle video, where they are comparing a $9k store bought Specialized ebike to Luna's Giant diy kit sold as a package, and also Luna's "fastest ebikes" video, he mentions some insightful things. Eric's a smooth talker, a natural born salesmen though you wouldnt know that just by looking at him, as I he dont wear no suit and tie. I read something a day or two ago you posted, I aint going to find it and reread it, but by now you should know speed is voltage and kv of motor, so if you want to reach 40mph then choose a combo that meets your criteria, speed has no relation to amps discharge, you should know that by now. If you dont then just play around with Justins motor simulator or trip simulator, you can even put in non hub motor info, like mid drives that you just adapt the info into the specs of the computer program justin wrote. He even added mid drive a year ago to the sims. There is no need to be confused about forks, or bicycles. Use the search function, it is your friend. Yes I am not bothering to format this post in any way. Its a wall of text that I am sure loads of people just love to read and I am sure they have read until this point :lol: :lol: ok sheeesh I guess I can scan some more posts. I still dont know what your adjustable lockable wrench is doing on the axle nut. But then I see its on a socket, I sure dont know what you are doing but you've probably smoked a lot of it. One key advice is to have the proper tools, having a socket set along with a wrench set is the basics. Also having the proper size hose clamps is good to have, they are cheap. Forks, yes there are many variables these days with the new age different sizes. But if its a straight threaded or straight non threaded fork, its easy peasy. Make sure you have enough length, thats why when you buy new they are so long. I still need a fork for my fat bike, 1-1/8 non threaded, means the stem clamps around the fork but loosely at first, then you pop on the top cap to hold the stem down tight, tighten that first, but make sure the fork rotates smooth, to tight you'll know. Threaded is different but its easy to figure out. The tapered forks are the new age b.s.

I don't think Tommy likes anybody. :lol:

I guess he just does not get it that I am having fun building e bikes. Although none of them are perfect I do make upgrades and finally learned how to do V brakes.

Bafang motors new are around 250 to 300 bucks. I ordered three for 200 bucks recently for future builds as well as three more 18 amp Greentime controllers and 4 torque arm sets.

I do not sell e bikes or ride them every day either. I am still in the learning stage. I need to work on building a larger triangle rack that can hold 15 LTOs. I also need to build that LIFEPO4 pack.

I plan on building better e bikes in the future though. The Haro V3 will be a better build hopefully. I do not know how Tommy can find much wrong with a vintage sexy looking Haro with a 3 kilowatt motor and > 40 mph gearing.

Most people would have gave up on chain drives and front hub motors but I keep going. The Currie needs a better paint job and some new stickers. If I succeed in building a triangle rack for 15 LTOs it will have the best batteries you can buy until solid state batteries come out.

Every bike I own can be upgraded and improved but doubt Tommy will ever approve of anything I do. Oh well everyone has a right to their opinion I guess. He keeps bringing Trumps name up. Trump is like a circus clown. He is also like the God father. He has a lot of friends like the crew that stormed the White House. Basically Trump could make anybody disappear if he wanted to.

I did not vote at all for either guy. Trump ran around with no mask on laughing at those who wear a mask awhile half a million people in the US died. Biden is so old and senile he can't even complete a sentence.

Check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgP1uYTxVRI&t=223s

it is absolutely hilarious.

That is who we got running the country. It is unbelievable.

Thanks.

LC. out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. future upgrades and stuff.

I just called the local college and inquired about courses in 3D printing software.

I got stimuli's money saved up and hopefully will get more. The two things I am going to work on going forwards besides finding steel forks for my Bafang motors are better triangle racks and building batteries.

Once I learn how to 3D print I can make battery cell holders and wont need to ever solder batteries again. I should also learn to print gears to rebuild geared hub motors and hopefully design fully functional belt drive systems that can be used with RC motors as well as Ampflow motors. I hope to do more than one good build down the road but many.

I need to go and pick up the 3 Bafang motors I ordered and drop off the Currie frame at the local bike shop for a new steel fork.
I wish metal 3D printers were less than $500 as I could print my own torque arms. However if I were to print those in plastic I could probably send them out and have them done in metal.

Sanding and painting is also a good way to do a good build as Tommy keeps stating. New stickers and no milk crates also make a build better. It is not always about the motor and how fast a bike can go. The new batteries will get me the range and discharge rate and the dual motors and 3 kilowatt brushless motor will handle the power but a great looking build is also desirable.

I need to take things slowly. I am waiting on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as it was tested in South Africa and the UK where the variants come from so is more effective than the other vaccines. Until then I am staying inside most of the time and wearing my electric mask and face shield like I have been doing about 14 months now. I am waiting on the herd immunity the media keeps talking about.

I ordered 4S balance cables. I have tons of 6S cables so guess I will be building two 6S and one 4S pack with the 80 LIFEPO4 cells I got. I picked up the wood and glue I needed at the Home Depot the other day. I am not waiting on a 3D printer. I need to get some amps to that 1,000W 26" hub motor. If that don't solve the issue I am having with a lack of power then will try the 35 amp Greentime controller and run it sensorles.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• download (20).png
    download (20).png
    67.6 KB · Views: 333
markz said:
tomjasz said:
As described by Justin, the “Donald Trump of ebike sellers.” Banned from most eBike forums.

Not banned from any forum, but keep trying tommy

So you only criticize Curtis in PM's behind his back? WTF?
IT was banned here and electric bike review and more...

Donald Trump of ebike sellers.

Who is an e bike seller ????????????????? I built a bike as a gift and gave away a couple motors and chains I did not need and have a Bafang I am giving my wife's 50 year old son when he comes back up from Florida. I have not sold any e bikes I have built though.

I do not have a clue what you are talking about.

I do not know who is banned from what. I do not know what it is even about. I know I have been posting for about 7 years.

I did not think that we were a bunch of old ladies who have no life so are all about gossip or he said she said BS.

What I do know is most of my builds are non professional and still novice and could use much improvement. I am very aware of my short comings and am taking steps to improve what I can.

I just got back from picking up three more Bafang motors and got new steel heavy duty forks on the front of the Currie for one of the Bafang motors. I have three Greentime controllers and four torque arms ordered.

I also know that some day I will have a professional build. I am working on all that. I might even buy a 3D printer and take a college course on auto cad so I can learn how to print out parts I can use for belt drive and also to rebuild geared hub motors.

It is not that I do not want a professional build that would be highly respected on this forum. I just need to learn a lot more than I know now and acquire more specialty tools like a 3D printer and put together the LIFEPO4 pack as well as the LTO pack.

I also need to learn how to do a semi professional paint job. Spray cans are not the answer. I will need an electric paint gun or airless for a factory type paint job.

I thought we were all adults here so please stop the constant criticism and dumb rumors about being banned from something and nobody really cares about what that Circus clown Trump is doing as he is not even president any more.

Thanks.

LC. out.

latecurtis said:

Donald Trump of ebike sellers.

Who is an e bike seller ????????????????? I built a bike as a gift and gave away a couple motors and chains I did not need and have a Bafang I am giving my wife's 50 year old son when he comes back up from Florida. I have not sold any e bikes I have built though.

I think he was referring to Eric from Luna, not you.

OH.

Ok.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I know I did some ranting and raving in the past but believe I deleted all that.

The kid at the bike shop did not test the forks with a magnet. They are not steel.

Now I am wondering why some aluminum forks snap and others don't. I know the Giant Cypress Hybrid forks are aluminum as I just tested them with a magnet and I ran a 500W front 700c e bikeling motor on those about a dozen times and they held up.

I am confused on aluminum forks now. Is it the thickness of the drop outs that matter or the type of aluminum used ????? I know the Giant Roam as well as the Cypress are not cheap Wall-Mart bikes. They were about $500 new. If I do not have to change the forks on the Giant Roam I would rather not. Also the fork on the Currie now may be aluminum but the drop outs are a lot thicker than the ones that snapped off.

I got extra torque arms ordered and have been using vice grips on the axle nuts with steel hose clamps securing the vice grips tight to the frame to try and take a lot of the pressure off the drop outs. If I do not have to order brand new steel forks I would rather not. However I do not want to be stranded with broken drop outs 10 miles from home either. At least when they broke it was like 50 feet from my house.

Thanks.

LC. out.

latecurtis said:
Now I am wondering why some aluminum forks snap and others don't. I know the Giant Cypress Hybrid forks are aluminum as I just tested them with a magnet and I ran a 500W front 700c e bikeling motor on those about a dozen times and they held up.
I told you why. Well, the main reason that some aluminum constructions have inferior or superior strength-durability characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back