Ford etruck F-150 Lighting - Opinions?-

nicobie said:
15 years from now maybe the Tesla truck will be like the 55-57 Chevy Belaire's were to the teens in the 60&70's.
Yep. The original Tesla Roadsters are already like that - collector's items.

JackFlorey said:
Hillhater said:
...?? Interesting,.tell me where you can get a suitable ..5-10kW ?...solar set up for free ? ...
Fascinating that you spent the time to write out that answer, but did not take the time to read his post where he used the word "cheap!"
And equally facinating that you avoided the part where he suggested you could get a “free” charge from that cheap , ...(but not without some cost ? ) ,..solar system.
Maybe you can explain how that works ?
How cheap is a practical solar charge system ?
How is the power from that system “free” ?
Do you just forget that you had to pay for the solar system ?

Hillhater said:
And equally facinating that you avoided the part where he suggested you could get a “free” charge from that cheap , ...(but not without some cost ? ) ,..solar system.
Maybe you can explain how that works ?
Sure. You get a cheap solar power system. It lasts decades. Then you use the power. Unlike using a generator, a solar power system does not require fuel or any other input, and the output is then free.
How cheap is a practical solar charge system ?
$2-$3 dollars a watt.
How is the power from that system “free” ?
Explained above.

Let's say, for example, you invented a home brewing system that produced beer out of air with no material or energy input. It might well have cost a lot to develop - but after developing it, it would provide you with free beer.

JackFlorey said:
Let's say, for example, you invented a home brewing system that produced beer out of air with no material or energy input. It might well have cost a lot to develop - but after developing it, it would provide you with free beer.
Even using “, no cost” consumables, you would have to completely forget any equipment investment you had in the system and its development....or , as is normal , you amortise it over the output of the system over its expected working life.
Likewise with a Solar charging system
That $10k -15k. ( using your costs for 5kW) may give you 20-25 kWh per day of recharge..
.....providing you dont plan on using that truck during the day...
.....or traveling very far after sundown !
But you still cannot just ignor the fact that you had to buy that system at some point.
It may be cheap energy....if you use it enough......but it is never “free”

I think I have to call BS on their claim that the truck can auto supply a house with power thru the charging cord in an outage. I can't see an utility allowing the car to backfeed into their grid with only a fail safe on the charger and without something on the panel before it gets into the house circuits. I would think that the electric codes would have to be changed in order to let this happen automatically.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/05/19/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup-truck-can-power-your-home-in-an-outage/

Ya.. it looks more like running a 12 ga ( or better ) extension cord from the car to the fridge, tv, etc.

Nice for charging power tools on the go though.

In a case like that, you cut off the [strike] brake [/strike] breaker to whichever circuit you want to power, and plug your generator or inverter into a wall plug anywhere on the isolated circuit. If you don't tell the utility what you did, they won't know.

This is easiest to accomplish with a "death cord" that has a male plug on both ends.

How cheap solar? $50 for 250 watts :shock: (used)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-auRHKq2-A&ab_channel=DIYSolarPowerwithWillProwse

Matt Gruber said:
How cheap solar? $50 for 250 watts :shock: (used)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-auRHKq2-A&ab_channel=DIYSolarPowerwithWillProwse
OK so you get $1000 worth (5kW) of panels..
You need to mount and wire them up ...another $1k ?
And install some cheap inverter/ charge controller (5kW) ..another $1k minimum..
That “cheap” system has already cost you $3k ..without any freight or install costs.
.....so now you should have a slow charge system that can supply 20-25 kWh on a sunny day....if you leave the truck on charge all day
In the Ford that would take you about 50 miles.(.providing you are not hauling anything)
And if you wanted to go the full 210 miles, you would have to leave it on the charger for 4-5 days hoping the weather holds good.!
But remind me again how this is “free” energy, when you have just spent $3+k on a diy used solar system !?

you are confusing purchase price with marginal costs of operation. One could live far in the woods and have power 8) with no gas stations near by.
and $1000 to install :lol: i'll do it for 100, and inverter 1000 :lol: not sure on this- not sure i even need one if it is wired exactly right- DC to DC should charge direct with a big diode to stop reverse flow.
Good point on 50 mile range. Many people drive less, some more.
Solar is of no use to me. i pay $30/mo and my grid is reliable. BUT others? who knows. I'm not selling anything, so i don't care if anyone buys.
Myself- i don't like insurance costs :roll: Could cost i'll guess $1200/yr for any new vehicle. I only go 300 mi/yr- how is it worth 1200 :roll: :lol: at least with the solar panels you get something tangible that doesn't repeat every year 8)
As for actually buying any new vehicle- the sales tax kills it for me. in FL they even charge sales tax on used cars :roll: i'll ride my bike, call a taxi or take the bus.

People need a mission and purpose to have a happy life. Quite often they don't examine too closely every detail. If they did, they might end up without a mission and purpose, and would have an unhappy life.(like you if i read your comments correctly, as you present yourself over and over as an unhappy person)
and sunshine sure wasn't free for me, i had to save up for 14 years to move to FL from NJ ( way too gloomy there)

Where I live( Kauai, Hawaii)our power grid is 100% renewable energy for the last 4yrs in the day time and about 50% at night.Kauai’s plan is to be totally renewables by 2030( Kauai’s power is a publicly owned utility),so for me The Ford electric makes a lot of sense and on Kauai as your not going to drive more than 125 miles in a day,so for some this is already going to work great.

nicobie said:
I think I have to call BS on their claim that the truck can auto supply a house with power thru the charging cord in an outage. I can't see an utility allowing the car to backfeed into their grid with only a fail safe on the charger and without something on the panel before it gets into the house circuits. I would think that the electric codes would have to be changed in order to let this happen automatically.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/05/19/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup-truck-can-power-your-home-in-an-outage/

“If your F-150 Lightning is plugged in when your outage occurs, Intelligent Backup Power will automatically kick in to power your home,”

It sounds like the charging system has an automatic transfer switch built into it.

MTA: The feature does require the 80 amp charging station and home management system.

"Just opt for the 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro Charger (standard with extended range) and pair it with a required additional home management system (think a specialized transfer switch, Ford can arrange installation). "

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/features/10-things-f-150-lightning-pickup/

Hawaiiguy said:
Where I live( Kauai, Hawaii)our power grid is 100% renewable energy for the last 4yrs in the day time and about 50% at night.Kauai’s plan is to be totally renewables by 2030( Kauai’s power is a publicly owned utility),so for me The Ford electric makes a lot of sense and on Kauai as your not going to drive more than 125 miles in a day,so for some this is already going to work great.
Yea, ..it would probably be cheaper to give all the electricity consumers on Kauai one of these Ford etrucks, rather than spending the millions $$’s planned on the Solar + battery + pumped Hydro scheme needed for the next RE storage upgrade step on the island.
:bigthumb:
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/kauai-to-hit-80-renewable-power-with-solar-charged-hydro-storage

Doesnt seem like a tough job to do, but of course you would want a certified, master electrician to install whats needed on the house.

https://youtu.be/GLgtFCJlVFQ?t=147

markz said:
Doesnt seem like a tough job to do, but of course you would want a certified, master electrician to install whats needed on the house.

https://youtu.be/GLgtFCJlVFQ?t=147

Yeah, I am comfortable replacing outlets and switches in my house, but I paid an electrician to install an auto transfer switch for my home standby generator. He had to install a new panel inside the utility room where the switch is and move the circuit breakers inside.

Hillhater said:
Hawaiiguy said:
Yea, ..it would probably be cheaper to give all the electricity consumers on Kauai one of these Ford etrucks, rather than spending the millions $$’s planned on the Solar + battery + pumped Hydro scheme needed for the next RE storage upgrade step on the island.
:bigthumb:
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/kauai-to-hit-80-renewable-power-with-solar-charged-hydro-storage

Kauai use to have high utility prices but now our power per Kw has been going down steadily so I’m good with the outcome.Other utility’s could learn from Kauai.

Yeah but it all hinges on what the building codes state, those codes are updated every 4 years.
Maybe the governing body can throw in addendums whenever they want.

I can't see Ford telling customers to plug their Ford generator cord into their dryer outlet and saying its kosher with building code.
You are right, it will be an expensive option, more expensive then buying a $2,000 20kw gas/diesel/propane generator with proper hookup meeting building code.

More options for stuff to go wrong.

nicobie said:
markz said:
Ford is claiming that all is needed is the right options on the truck.Wonder what that will cost $10k?

Hawaiiguy said:

When I visited Kauai, I was appalled at how few people rode bicycles and how many drove cars. It's like even if you take away all the sort of valid-sounding excuses people use for driving, lame feckless folks are still going to be lame and feckless.

But yeah, sure. Failing at life on renewable energy is better than failing at life on fossil fuel.

:wink: Probably Ford doing a marketing switcharoo, switch and bait scheme perhaps. :wink:
:lowbatt:

Free advertising is good business.

Hawaiiguy said:
Kauai use to have high utility prices but now our power per Kw has been going down steadily so I’m good with the outcome.Other utility’s could learn from Kauai.
Your prices are coming down from what was a diesel fueled system (using imported fuel) , to a compact “micro grid” of Utility Solar/ battery for majority generation.
Most Utilities do not have the luxury of such a high traditional generation cost, small distribution area ( where most cost occures ) , good Solar exposure ( or reliable winds), or suitable geographic features for Pumped Hydro.
In most countries/ Utilities where significant Solar or Wind generation has been introduced, the result has been dramatic increases in electricity prices...EG ,..California, Germany, Australia, UK, etc.

Back