Will your computer be able to run Win11?

nicobie

Staff member
As usual Microsoft is clear as mud when announcing Win11. Apparently it needs a TPM chip available to your system. I don't think that this will be a problem for most. However it looks like it will take getting into the bios and turning on TPM in order to get it to run.

I wonder how many new computers that tactic will sell. :mrgreen:

nicobie said:
I wonder how many new computers that tactic will sell. :mrgreen:

Given how many people keep buying Apple and MS after being abused and taken for granted for decades, probably lots.

nicobie said:
Sounds like MS will still be keeping Win10 updated for awhile even after they release win11.

Of course W10 will be updated, probably for another 10 years. What was the updated lifespan of previous windows versions?
W8/8.1 is January 2023. The product was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012, and generally to retail on October 26, 2012. So I was close
10yrs 3 month life span.

Windows 7 is a major release of the Windows NT operating system developed by Microsoft. It was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009, and became generally available on October 22, 2009.
Windows 7 End of Life starts January 14, 2020
10yrs 6 months

Nope! My computers will stay on Ubuntu Linux. :bigthumb: Microsuck's spyware can :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :kff: :kff:

markz said:
nicobie said:
Sounds like MS will still be keeping Win10 updated for awhile even after they release win11.

Of course W10 will be updated, probably for another 10 years
Do you have confirmation or a reference for that comment ?
I ask because i read that W10 will not be supported beyond 2005.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-to-stop-windows-10-support-in-2025-heres-what-that-means-for-your-pc/
(But who can you believe these days ?)

Well they are probably right because the other releases are about 10 years.
Windows 10 was first released in July 2015.
And your article says
With Microsoft making the just-announced Windows 11 a free upgrade, the tech juggernaut will pull the plug on Windows 10 support on Oct. 14, 2025.
Which meets the 10 year, predictable lifespan that MS does.

For absolute confirmation, info straight from MS itself would be ideal.

Also see my previous post about W8, W7 release dates and end of support dates.
Businesses want predictability in what they buy, predictability in lifespan.
markz said:
nicobie said:

Of course W10 will be updated, probably for another 10 years. What was the updated lifespan of previous windows versions?
W8/8.1 is January 2023. The product was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012, and generally to retail on October 26, 2012. So I was close
10yrs 3 month life span.

Windows 7 is a major release of the Windows NT operating system developed by Microsoft. It was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009, and became generally available on October 22, 2009.
Windows 7 End of Life starts January 14, 2020
10yrs 6 months

Hillhater said:
markz said:
nicobie said:

Of course W10 will be updated, probably for another 10 years
Do you have confirmation or a reference for that comment ?
I ask because i read that W10 will not be supported beyond 2005.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-to-stop-windows-10-support-in-2025-heres-what-that-means-for-your-pc/
(But who can you believe these days ?)

markz said:
Until you require programs that require MS O/S.
Like many many ppl

Electroddy said:
Nope! My computers will stay on Ubuntu Linux. :bigthumb: Microsuck's spyware can :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :kff: :kff:

And just what programs are those? :shock: All the documents I need open just fine in Open Office. 8) :mrgreen:

Have you ever converted documents to or from Open Office/MSOffice?

edit - Well I have and conversions never worked. Converted files work on simple small documents, text only or very few graphs/inserts/pictures.

Also couldn't integrate with corporations software or MS Outlook. So my business laptop had to have MS software.

I've tried Open Office, and its easy to use, Linux is easy to setup and use as well. I've tried a handful of distor's but the biggest downfall was using Steam Gaming, half my games wouldnt work using Linux because I had purchased every Steam game for Windows as thats what I was using at the time. The games I liked needed MS O/S.

Electroddy said:
markz said:
Until you require programs that require MS O/S.
Like many many ppl

Electroddy said:

And just what programs are those? :shock: All the documents I need open just fine in Open Office. 8) :mrgreen:

On my Windows 10 computer, there were several bugs. All I can say right now is that temporary files can't be deleted by themselves, even though it's an inbuilt feature of Windows 10. So, I had to clean it manually. Although somehow I was able to solve this problem with the help of this article. I hope in Windows 11, there will be no such bugs or problems.

I'm having a ball with linux mint over here and running win 7 or 10 in a VM with lots of ram to compensate.
I have a hybrid windows and linux workflow now.

I'm about to throw a second graphics card in so i can do a GPU bypass to a windows VM for my game playing purposes.

Linux Mint is blazing fast and the 3d graphics support is killer too.. i'm driving 3 huge monitors on an intel integrated GPU and can still do 3d modeling:

blender on linux.png

If win11 pisses you off, consider trying a gradual switch like i do, where you run your windows stuff in a VM while you find native linux software and learn to use it - some of it is quite good these days, especially blender ( a real 3d modeling, animation, and video editing program ) and virtualbox ( super low latency audio and fast video these days ) :shock:

I am slowly integrating Linux into my web development and systems administration workflow. It is so much faster and less buggy to work with linux from linux ;).. and also, linus torvalds doesn't get to reboot my computer whenever he feels like it and interrupt my work, so that's a giant plus. :mrgreen:

Every time I come across this thread it reminds me that I need to install linux on three of my slow 7200 rpm hard drives used to safeguard against the main hard drive. I turn pc off unplug main hard drive and plug in shady hard drives. Do computer viruses live in ram or cpu?

Nicpboe is that because of mining or because people are playing games?

nicobie said:
I hope you already have that 2nd video card. The prices for new ones is bordering on criminal. :shock:

nicobie said:
I hope you already have that 2nd video card. The prices for new ones is bordering on criminal. :shock:

The application driving the price of new graphics cards also borders on criminal. That is, if you think Ponzi schemes are criminal.

All I read on it was that people are buying complete computer systems for the graphics card then selling the computer without the gpu or a lesser gpu no longer needed. Its taking more and more startup capital for a proper R.O.I. with crypto mining. Linux Mint is pretty cool I like it a lot the base install doesnt have virtual machine.

calab said:
All I read on it was that people are buying complete computer systems for the graphics card then selling the computer without the gpu or a lesser gpu no longer needed. Its taking more and more startup capital for a proper R.O.I. with crypto mining. Linux Mint is pretty cool I like it a lot the base install doesnt have virtual machine.

Crypto mining currently has majority control by one company in China, and the big boys use customized hardware to game the system that me and you don't have access to.

Some cryptos exist that are designed to defeat these kinds of unfair advantages, but these cryptocurrencies are not popular.
I mine these currencies anyway as a bet to see if one might win in the long run, with about 28 CPUs.

Linux offers me about ~20% better performance in crypto mining. It was how linux got installed on every spare machine i have in the office.

Back