2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Wow, interesting that you did that on a trike? I would have thought using one on the front? Anyway, it seems like there are plenty of frames that can be converted to 142mm*12mm TA. So maybe using the disk version can easily be used since it is 145mm? Maybe using one less freewheel sprocket? Edit: Ah, that is a tadpole trike?

Has anyone got this motor working with either a Phaserunner or a Baserunner?

Reason for asking is that I am converting my bike to use Cycle Analyst and Baserunner, and would like to try out this motor without having to do a complete new controller, display, switches etc installation every time I switch the front wheel over. I note that the Phaserunner manual has a section on how to enable reverse running, so it *seems* that it should be able to power this motor in both directions.

I understand that the automatic switch function will not be available in such a setup - manual switch from forward to reverse running only.

(Disclaimer: I have tried my best to read all the way through this thread, so apologies if this has already been addressed in here. Use of Google search did not reveal any responses - but my search skills suck.)

Xiongda out of business?

As Bonnie wrote, Xiongda will not process individual orders any more. Are there any alternative sources for such double speed motor? (in Europe preferably)

Uturn said:
Xiongda out of business?

As Bonnie wrote, Xiongda will not process individual orders any more. Are there any alternative sources for such double speed motor? (in Europe preferably)
New EU import regulations just killed international commerce. Send thank you card to your government. :bigthumb:

New EU import regulations just killed international commerce
dont' know about that, as I live in Switzerland.. But Xiongda will not sell individual units even to non-EU countries apparently, and www.elecycles.com from Guandong China list the Xiongda as out of stock and asked an awful lot of time for just a price quote: No answer since three weeks. So I wonder where Xiongda will sell their products if there aren't any dealers available.

Uturn said:
New EU import regulations just killed international commerce
dont' know about that, as I live in Switzerland.. But Xiongda will not sell individual units even to non-EU countries apparently, and www.elecycles.com from Guandong China list the Xiongda as out of stock and asked an awful lot of time for just a price quote: No answer since three weeks. So I wonder where Xiongda will sell their products if there aren't any dealers available.
UK is not in EU and implemented the same regulations. I stopped shipping to Europe all together. It was only 7% of my business and 1/3 were fraudulent orders. One big PITA. I still ship to Australia, New Zealand and Canada and of course US.

I seem to be a victim of this new policy of Xiongda. I have a faulty engine and Bonnie tells me she can't replace it. I have now $780 of components which I can throw away. Not much I can do with only a front engine, two batteries and the other xiongda accessories I bought.

Never buy Chinese should be my and other's lessons....

There are resellers that can help you.
In "the west" it is quite normal that you cannot buy directly from the factory.
I mean, try calling Bosch to buy an ebike motor from them, for example.
I won't do any publicity for my shop in this forum, that is against my conviction that we are all here to help eachother without financial gains biasing honesty, but I got several versions in stock.
Google in France 😘

Well, I finally retired my XD 2 speed, finished with around 15000km / 8 years on it, with the last 4 or so no longer doing a long commute. The teeth got chewed up again on the plastic sun gear and I have no spares.

It had become noisy (clacky sound due to the mechanism's bearings having too much play or something)
I also just got sick of just how hard it is to remove from my frame and even harder to open it up for re- lubrication or other regular maintenance.
Some of the retaining hardware internally has a crack in it too, which is likely why the bearings got clacky.

Still, around 8 Years of basically abusive use (aka full throttle all the way @ 48v, controller reading ~600w when under load) with this being the 3rd time gears got chewed up. Other than that I did my custom lube job every few years, and replaced an axle bearing, that's about it

If anyone in Australia, Brisbane area wants it let me know

Thanks knutselmaster, I might get in touch with you.

@menvert: I have another Xiongda, but I have never managed to open it. I built a sort of clumsy custom tool for it, but still didn't manage. Any tips?

xionga_tool.jpg

Old hub motors are very difficult to open indeed, the thread gets quite stuck after some time as the aluminium oxide makes a solid fix.
You can try heating the motor housing, this makes the metal expand to get the thread loosen up.
Use a hairdryer or a paint remove gun, it can be done with a gas flame too but that gives some risk of overheating and burn marks so it isn't adviced for "beginners" (move quickly around to spread the heat).
Try to avoid heating the lid as much as possible, so that it doesn't expand as much as the housing.
Your tool looks good, one that is fixed to all holes would be better.
I find the hardest part to hold the motor housing in place without leaving marks...

I find the hardest part to hold the motor housing in place without leaving marks...
I solved that by using all screw holes to fix it to wooden board

Hard to make a tool that covers all three screw openings. I will try your heating suggestion.

max3d said:
@menvert: I have another Xiongda, but I have never managed to open it. I built a sort of clumsy custom tool for it, but still didn't manage. Any tips?

Nice looking tool, I did open mine when it was fairly new and since I put grease on the threads, but it's still hard to remove.

What I did was find a longer screw/bolt that fits, and put a few nuts on it as washers so it protrudes about a 1 cm and tighten it in place, then sitting the wheel upright, bracing it and then hitting it with a hammer many times till it moves, and re-tightening the bolt every few hits. While trying to not cause any damage, hitting with authority but not too hard...20220121_105810 (Small).jpg

Uturn said:
Xiongda out of business?

Bafang makes a two speed hub motor called H700 but you have to buy it as a pre-built bike. No DIY as far as I know.

pickworthi said:
Ecyclist said:
[UK is not in EU and implemented the same regulations.

OK, so which regulation exactly are you talking about.
I would need to ask my shipping department, but I don't feel like going any deeper into that. It is what it is. Shipping to Europe is dead for my products. I'm in the US and manufacture my own components. Not bicycle related.
Maybe you can order it here: https://www.elecycles.com/xiongda-2-speed-hub-motor-coversion-kit-36v-48v-250w-350w.html
This company is in China and I know nothing about it. Order at your own risk.
Maybe they are willing to do all papier work and prepay duties and fees.
Good luck.

ebike4healthandfitness said:
Bafang makes a two speed hub motor called H700 but you have to buy it as a pre-built bike. No DIY as far as I know.
For all I know, this is a normal motor with a 2 speed hub gear built into it. (2 speeds for pedaling, not for the motor)

menvert said:
max3d said:

Nice looking tool, I did open mine when it was fairly new and since I put grease on the threads, but it's still hard to remove.

What I did was find a longer screw/bolt that fits, and put a few nuts on it as washers so it protrudes about a 1 cm and tighten it in place, then sitting the wheel upright, bracing it and then hitting it with a hammer many times till it moves, and re-tightening the bolt every few hits. While trying to not cause any damage, hitting with authority but not too hard...20220121_105810 (Small).jpg
You gave me an idea; thanks.

knutselmaaster said:
Old hub motors are very difficult to open indeed, the thread gets quite stuck after some time as the aluminium oxide makes a solid fix.
You can try heating the motor housing, this makes the metal expand to get the thread loosen up.
Use a hairdryer or a paint remove gun, it can be done with a gas flame too but that gives some risk of overheating and burn marks so it isn't adviced for "beginners" (move quickly around to spread the heat).
Try to avoid heating the lid as much as possible, so that it doesn't expand as much as the housing.
Your tool looks good, one that is fixed to all holes would be better.
Does the sentence in bold mean that the lid is screwed inside the housing? As I would have thought expanding the lid would actually make it easier to open it.

Does someone have a photo of the open motor so that I understand how the lid fits?

knutselmaaster said:
For all I know, this is a normal motor with a 2 speed hub gear built into it. (2 speeds for pedaling, not for the motor)

It is for the motor:

https://bafang-e.com/products/motors/hr-series/

The H700 rear motor is integrated with the automatic dual speed system. The motor automatically adjusts the gearbox ratio by detecting the speed of the vehicle during cycling. While the H700's 250W rated power that meets legal requirements, with 32Nm of torque, it can easily ensure a strong performance for riders in daily commuting and leisure use.

It is for the motor:

I don't think so:
https://www.bike-eu.com/products-innovations/artikel/2021/08/bafang-launches-h700-built-in-automatic-dual-speed-drive-system-10141154

The motor automatically adjusts the gearbox ratio by detecting the speed of the vehicle during cycling, so the rider can get a better cadence without manually shifting and experience greatly improved riding comfort without affecting the power of the motor.

knutselmaaster said:
It is for the motor:

I don't think so:
https://www.bike-eu.com/products-innovations/artikel/2021/08/bafang-launches-h700-built-in-automatic-dual-speed-drive-system-101411wv54

The motor automatically adjusts the gearbox ratio by detecting the speed of the vehicle during cycling, so the rider can get a better cadence without manually shifting and experience greatly improved riding comfort without affecting the power of the motor.

According to the article below it is definitely the motor:

https://electrek.co/2021/09/07/bafang-unveils-electric-bike-motor-with-2-speed-automatic-shifting-and-torque-sensor/

"The 3.2 kg (7 lb) motor houses an automatic shifting dual-speed transmission. When riders engage the drive, the bike measures the current speed and shifts accordingly to adjust the motor output. More torque is available in the lower gear, which is helpful for acceleration and hill climbing. When riders are moving faster, the higher gear is automatically selected to provide more speed.

This solution allows the motor to offer a wider torque curve without increasing the power of the motor. That’s extra helpful considering the motor is classified as a 250W motor to meet European electric bicycle power limits. The company also confirmed that the motor’s torque output is 32 Nm, though it is unclear which gear that is in. If that’s the peak torque output, it is likely in the lower gear."

Back