TSDZ2 EBike wireless standard (like Specialized Turbo Levo) - OpenSource

casainho said:
woojak said:
ok I will check older versions.
"Maybe even build the firmware by yourself from the repository and test." - I'll have to read how to do it.
I ordered nRF from Aliexpress, maybe this is the reason?
It is almost for sure something about the firmware, as the hardware used for the Bluetooth bootloader is just the same as for the firmware Bluetooth.

ok checked.
re-uploaded bootloader each time.
(** Verified OK ** not every time I see it)
View attachment cmd log error.txt

follows this sequence:
1.Boot loader (TSDZ2_wireless-bootloader_with_sd-v0.9.0.hex).
2. The TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-vX.X.X.zip file
via nRF Connect.
3. Checking in devices whether tsdz2 is available.

The following OTA files have been checked:
v0.9.0 TSDZ2_wireless-bootloader_ota_update-v0.9.0.zip - X
v0.7.0 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.7.0.zip - X
v0.6.0 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.6.0.zip - X
v0.6.2 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.6.2.zip - X
V0.3.0 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.3.0.zip - X

Unfortunately, nothing else.
@casainho
I can send you one of the boards that I tried to flash. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or my computer is wrongly configured.

@gfmoore
there is not too much choice on Ali:]
Store Name: Ecomponents HUB Store

woojak said:
casainho said:
woojak said:
ok I will check older versions.
"Maybe even build the firmware by yourself from the repository and test." - I'll have to read how to do it.
I ordered nRF from Aliexpress, maybe this is the reason?
It is almost for sure something about the firmware, as the hardware used for the Bluetooth bootloader is just the same as for the firmware Bluetooth.

ok checked.
re-uploaded bootloader each time.
(** Verified OK ** not every time I see it)
cmd log error.txt

follows this sequence:
1.Boot loader (TSDZ2_wireless-bootloader_with_sd-v0.9.0.hex).
2. The TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-vX.X.X.zip file
via nRF Connect.
3. Checking in devices whether tsdz2 is available.

The following OTA files have been checked:
v0.9.0 TSDZ2_wireless-bootloader_ota_update-v0.9.0.zip - X
v0.7.0 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.7.0.zip - X
v0.6.0 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.6.0.zip - X
v0.6.2 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.6.2.zip - X
V0.3.0 TSDZ2_wireless_ota_update-v0.3.0.zip - X

Unfortunately, nothing else.
@casainho
I can send you one of the boards that I tried to flash. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or my computer is wrongly configured.

@gfmoore
there is not too much choice on Ali:]
Store Name: Ecomponents HUB Store

Do not send me any board as I have no time. Now you need to build the firmware and flash it as if you were flashing the bootloader and see if the firmware works.

Hello I see in the project a power switch and a transistor for the wireless controller. what are they for?

e3s said:
Hello I see in the project a power switch and a transistor for the wireless controller. what are they for?
To turn on/off the TSDZ2 motor controller, as a regular displays does.

When tsdz2_vin is positive, bts4140n is on? Bts4140n enables bsp296, right? Is P1.00 positive?

e3s said:
When tsdz2_vin is positive, bts4140n is on? Bts4140n enables bsp296, right? Is P1.00 positive?
Yes, P1.00 needs to be positive to enable the motor controller.

New release v0.8.0 -- https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ2_wireless/releases/tag/v0.8.0

Changelog:
- Battery SOC now resets every time the battery voltage is over the configured value (previous was resetting only at wireless board power on)
- corrected Battery Voltage field
- added Motor Power field
- added Battery Resistance Estimated field
- corrected all the decimals on the various fields
- hided Street Mode from configurations as currently there is no way to active it

As you can see, my battery has an estimated internal resistance of about 270 milliohms:

120204143-65f18080-c220-11eb-8fc4-c1cffd3f09b0.jpg

Hello There !
Just bought my TSDZ2 with VLCD5, so I will install the mbrusa firmware.
Have I correctly understood that, as of today, the wireless is not yet compatible with mbrusa firmware ?

Being able to switch between the simplke display and the smartphone app would be awesome

Hello all, I have been away from this for a long while, do you have a working wireless solution? Can it be controlled from a garmin gps or something similar?
Is there a set of instructions on how to set it up?
I’m currently running open source but it is over a year old on the version. Running it with the 860 display but would love to remove the display and remote buttons.

Brlowe said:
Hello all, I have been away from this for a long while, do you have a working wireless solution? Can it be controlled from a garmin gps or something similar?
I’m currently running open source but it is over a year old on the version. Running it with the 860 display but would love to remove the display and remote buttons.
With OSF you will find two wireless solutions.
The one in this topic, based on latest Casainho's build v1.1.0, works with smartphone, garmin, with or without display (C860).
The BT version of mspider65, based on his ESP32 project v14, that works with smartphone and default Tsdz2 display.
For what you want, I think Casainho's solution is closest to your wishes. For instructions you can visit the wiki

Elinx said:
Brlowe said:
With OSF you will find two wireless solutions.
The one in this topic, based on latest Casainho's build v1.1.0, works with smartphone, garmin, with or without display (C860).
The BT version of mspider65, based on his ESP32 project v14, that works with smartphone and default Tsdz2 display.
For what you want, I think Casainho's solution is closest to your wishes. For instructions you can visit the wiki

Thank you

I had the opportunity to ride 65 kms on the mountains on the weekend and I loved it, I miss this events, they had been mostly closed on the last one year and half.

So, I had to use my Garmin Edge for navigation and I took a lot of advantage of the wireless remote to change the Edge page!! Seems to work well but seems there is a kind of timeout, that let´s say if I do not change the page for 10 minutes, next time I will get a beep and a message on the Edge saying a remote device was found - this is annoying and is something I wish to improve.

I also took other tries to get Bluetooth and ANT to send data to Garmin datafields and I was stuck on the same issues and previous:
- Bluetooth can only connect once and so to one datafield (and no mobile app also)
- ANT data is received more then one datafield BUT the data drops randomly, like if the issue is to be receiving ANT on more than one datafield

I ended up to use only 2 ANT data fields: motor power and battery SOC, because I needed to manage very well my 500Wh battery for the 65 kms 1800 meter accumulated (which I ended up to use only 2/3 of the 500Wh).

And my wireless remote broke... because I did 3D print almost hollow as can be seen:

And I really hate the VLC5 buttons that I will stop to use them!! As I am preparing our mini cargo bike, that will probably be driven more by my wife, I need buttons that work very well as the user feedback is very limited to the LED. I am thinking that the most operations I really use are:
- turn on/off the motor (although I usually forget it on and no problem found until now)
- change assist level
- use walk assist
- I guess lights but the ones I use are not controlled by TSDZ2
- Garmin Edge page change

I am thinking in moving to the better 850C remote because is much better on the tactile feedback and we can also buy it easily. It has only 3 buttons but that are enough for the most operations I use, If I do not use the "see battery SOC" operation. Also I did open it and is simple not possible to remove the button PCB without damaging it, so, not possible to design and 3D print a custom base. I guess I will keep using a box with the wireless board and battery + the 850C remote. I will try to make this box small as possible and will be an advantage because will be much easier to build than the wireless remote using the VLC5 keypad, as also will work with any 3 buttons or more keypads, like best remote from 860C or KT-LCD3 remote.

So with this if I’m using my Garmin it will show me speed, do I still need to use the speed sensor on the TSDZ2?

Brlowe said:
So with this if I’m using my Garmin it will show me speed, do I still need to use the speed sensor on the TSDZ2?
For now ANT LEV needs the speed to be provided by the motor so yes, you need the speed sensor.

I decided to make the smaller possible box to old the wireless board and battery, for my wireless remote. I have with me a 860C and 850C remote, while 860C remote is more robust and provides 4 buttons, it is also very big and seems more a remote from a motor cycle and not from a small bicycle (after being using 860C, I found it to be to much big on my handle bar).

My small box, with all the wiring: brake sensor 2 wires + 4 wires of the 850C remote. The 2 small green wires are connected to the CR2032 battery that is placed under the wireless board:

Then I decided to use black silicone to seal the box and make it water prof:

There is a big hole for the button that has the black silicone and the small hole for the RGB LED, has translucent silicone so I will be able to see the LED light - on next 24h the silicone should be hard and finally I will cut the excess of silicone. The zip ties are there only to hold in place the box cover for the next 24h. On the next design maybe I will add 4 little screws on the corners as using the zip ties is strange to me, the screws are probably better + the silicone:

I will keep testing this idea and later I will document on the site this build, which is much easier than the previous one.

What black silicone sealant are you using? There are so many options, and it seems like using the wrong one risks water seeping in after some time.

Well, that was my first time with that black silicone, that I do not like the end color as is not brilliant as that black PLA plastic of the box. I am thinking to print again but with no hole for the button and thin like 0.6mm wall on the button so should flex enough to press the button. And I will use only the translucent silicone as it works veey well, as I did before.

I am rethinking if I should make a new version and glue it to the back and side on the remote, would probably ne more compact and with aspect to be only a full piece...

Which silicones did you use, though? For reseating they hole the cables come out of the motor after installing the temp sensor, the same black silicone?

You are lucky your concern are aesthetics. I’m simply wondering what to use so that the motor/controller don’t get flooded [emoji23]

rdancer said:
Which silicones did you use, though? For reseating they hole the cables come out of the motor after installing the temp sensor, the same black silicone?

You are lucky your concern are aesthetics. I’m simply wondering what to use so that the motor/controller don’t get flooded [emoji23]
I used the one I found on a local store, I am using on the wireless remote, TSDZ2 wireless controller as also for that situation you did mention.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this very interesting project!

I am particulary interested in the remote control for the Garmin unit. I would like to implement just the remote to change pages on my garmin edge 530 unit. I have a makerdiary nrf52840 usb dongle that I would use. Can I use (parts of) your code on Github? Do you have any hints on how I would do this best?

Kind regards,

Simon

dongle_pcba_tilt_1024x1024@2x.jpg

simper said:
Hi,

Thank you for sharing this very interesting project!

I am particulary interested in the remote control for the Garmin unit. I would like to implement just the remote to change pages on my garmin edge 530 unit. I have a makerdiary nrf52840 usb dongle that I would use. Can I use (parts of) your code on Github? Do you have any hints on how I would do this best?

Kind regards,

Simon

dongle_pcba_tilt_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Our wireless remote already implements ANT controls / remote control for Garmin Edge and change the page. Will be easier for you to use the same board we are using which is not that one. See how to build the remote: https://opensourceebike.github.io/

So I did the new design for the wireless remote. I like a lot the 850C keypad, it is easy to click on each button without error of clicking on any other, has good tactile and audible feedback, as also the right size (not to small and not to big).

The 3D printed enclosure is glued to the 850C remote and is very solid.

I don't think is possible to make it smaller. Although the battery may work for 1.5 years, I wish in a future version to add 4 small screws and a back cover so battery can be easily changed as it is now, probably we need to trash the 3D printed enclosured.

Here is the final result:

Before applying the white silicone, to make the box water prof:

And all the wiring done: 2 wires for battery; 2 wires for the brake sensor; 4 wires for the 850C remote:

And note that the white button is still clickable under the black box, as the box was designed to be thin under the button:

Because I have a new mini cargo bike almost ready, while preparing the motor cable to connect the TSDZ2 wireless, I did a mistake of power cables and the TSDZ2 wireless did burn, both DC-DC converter and NRF52 board stopped to work.

Here pictures of the TSDZ2 wireless inside, as we can see, it is fully water prof using the silicone:

Then I had to build 2 units and finally I had the both 2 big mosfets and they work as expected:

I also changed the cover, to remove the big hole for the button. Now the cover is thinner under the button so it is clickable - less working for assembling and even better design.

And here my new mini cargo bike is mostly ready, with a perfect fit for TSDZ2 :) -- and that is a small bicycle and I want it clean so using the wireless is perfect, less cables including no wheel speed sensor. I will make all that cables as short as possible as also a black 3D printed enclosure for the battery:

Hi @casainho,

Very nice bike. I have never seen anything like these around this part of UK. They look fun and practical. Hope the new baby is good :D

I'm just a bit confused about your system. I know you can configure using a smartphone and that you control the assist levels using the 850C controller and that you have an interface to Garmin. However, is it possible to use the smartphone for live data whilst riding and therefore not have to use Garmin etc or in my case a Karoo?

warm regards,

Gordon

Back