Strategies to increase range while on road (you can't use a gas station)

Hwy89 said:
Convenience stores and grocery stores nearly always have outlets out front. Many even have a bench or picnic table nearby. Scope it out then go inside and buy something then ask if you can hang out for a while and charge. I’ve done this many times and the only place that ever refused me was the Safeway grocery in Williams AZ.

Nice, good to know 👍

999zip999 said:
Use a 1,000 watt charger and a battery and bms if needed that can take it. As you do not want to pop the breaker.

LOL, looks like this thread has taken on a life of its own.

I never thought about popping a breaker, since my charger only outputs 5 amps, but when I plugged in my 1500W power supply to charge my lipos in the kitchen the other day, the breaker popped when my wife started brewing some coffee. :eek:

E-HP said:
999zip999 said:
Use a 1,000 watt charger and a battery and bms if needed that can take it. As you do not want to pop the breaker.

LOL, looks like this thread has taken on a life of its own.

I never thought about popping a breaker, since my charger only outputs 5 amps, but when I plugged in my 1500W power supply to charge my lipos in the kitchen the other day, the breaker popped when my wife started brewing some coffee. :eek:

I had to install a 240v outlet in the garage, to stop my Meanwells popping off the breaker. :twisted:

Just one 240V outlet, 2 or 3 is nice to have on different circuit breakers. One for the garage heater for up past the 49'th, and one for the welder and one for a charger. You can claim your future proofing for EV charging. :wink:

MadRhino said:
I had to install a 240v outlet in the garage, to stop my Meanwells popping off the breaker. :twisted:

markz said:
Just one 240V outlet, 2 or 3 is nice to have on different circuit breakers. One for the garage heater for up past the 49'th, and one for the welder and one for a charger. You can claim your future proofing for EV charging. :wink:

Hmm, I had my main upgraded then added a 100A subpanel in my garage a couple decades ago before I moved in. Future proofing. I guess I could run a few 240s off of it...

What ? I have a 50 foot power cord going from my outlet on my third story going down to my garage for my meanwells. I have to put a new end on it as it got a little melty.
You guys are lucky.

999zip999 said:
What ? I have a 50 foot power cord going from my outlet on my third story going down to my garage for my meanwells. I have to put a new end on it as it got a little melty.
You guys are lucky.

You don’t need lipo batteries to start a fire. Your extension cord will do. 🤐

I look out for pop or ice machines for a handy receptacle. Make sure you are not pulling to many amps and blow the breaker. I try to get my bike to at least 7 kph before I engage the motor, nice road tires pumped up, and pedal on the flats. I’m getting 80 to 100 kilometres on a 10ah battery 350watt motor in hilly B.C.

Yes that power cord had a female end from harbor freight I bought an upgraded to a 20 amp one it'll work better with conductive Grease. Harbor freight swinging of the dice.
Thanks mad rhino

markz said:
Strategies to increase range while on road (you can't use a gas station)

increase range.png

Flat-Out-The-Rollie-Free-Story-The-Vintagent-bathing-suit-1024x768.jpg

Assist power limit or throttle doesn't have nearly the same effect on minimising Wh/km as assist speed limit, I can run any power limit I like with only a few points Wh/km variation as long as I am doing my part.

E-HP said:
HK12K said:

Inconsistency. If the hamster is powering the generator, the USB should be a female socket. :lol:

Must be a USB powered desk hamster.

Go to the gas station an ask the people if you can plug it in and charge your electric bike at a thousand Watts.
What you need is a used high quality battery that can take the thousand Watts.

I really want to make a smart-assed gender comment right about now, but I'll stow it. :lol:

E -HP I imagine that and I'm a little pissed off at you you know the difference between ass and ask butt my phone doesn't.
Not at the gas station but in the hotel room
I'm half-blind oversexed and have fat fingers. So there

Eastwood said:
https://youtu.be/3Iz7ZMALaCY
The real accomplishment is they managed to pass the guy on the four wheel mobility scooter :lol:

Attachments

• mobility scooter.jpg
    mobility scooter.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 310
LewTwo said:
Eastwood said:
https://youtu.be/3Iz7ZMALaCY
The real accomplishment is they managed to pass the guy on the four wheel mobility scooter :lol:

That’s funny I didn’t even catch that the first time I seen it

Put >1kwhr in the back of a recumbent or semi recumbent. With a 20-40% aero advantage, that battery will take you very far and entry into the 100 mile range club is much easier ;)

Back