TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

qfade said:
I am buying a pressure sensor:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/32952233498.html
And I have a beautiful solution.

It can also be used in other MID engines

?! Please show me your solution with photos, if you have integrated this bottom bracket sensor in an existing middrive housing! :)
The T4 sensor is very fragile, you better would use a T9...

I still don't understand your aim. What do you want with 70 amps in an TSDZ2??? It will glow in a few minutes.... If you manage to bring the heat away, the mechanical parts will be broken within a few days, as they are much to weak for higher torques...

qfade said:
Which of your Chinese drivers is so small and has 50-70A nominal current?
Lishui has a new generation of controllers up to 2kW:
LD-LS82 - bis 2000W -60V
Size:166mm×80mm×52mm

https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?attachments/big-controller-pdf.402866/

regards
stancecoke

We don't understand each other.
1. I am not going to install the T4 in the MIDDrive motor, but only the HUB drive.
2. it doesn't matter if it will be T4 or T9
4. The driver should be universal.
It can be installed in HUB and MID Motor
5. Your Lishui driver has no pressure sensor input anyway

It is obvious that 50 A cannot be used in the TSDZ motor,
but in my second bike powered by the Bafang G510, yes!
You limit the driver to 16 A and use it with tsdz2. Is it clear to you?

I consider the topic exhausted. Soon I will present my project on this driver

qfade said:
5. Your Lishui driver has no pressure sensor input anyway

Of course, Lishui's new generation has firmware versions for torquesensors, too.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002711701202.html

But if you aim to build the 3685th DIY-(VESC-clone-) controller version, it's OK, it's your time :wink:

So we should not spam Casainhos thread any more :)

regards
stancecoke

qfade said:
stancecoke said:
qfade said:
Let's make one universal driver

Why the 3685th project for a universal controller?! There are already many working mature projects, based on VESC, based on other cheap china hardware (Kunteng + Lishui) or completely own hard- and firmware, like the projects of lebowski, mxlemming, tecnologic, barmal, ...
You even could use a China BLDC controller as is and only add something like the CA or the FC (Forumscontroller)
As @casainho wrote already, for the TSDZ2 you would have to find a way, how to get a meaningful signal from the torquesensor: generate a square wave voltage, filter and amplify the resulting signal....

regards
stancecoke

Yes, there are solutions
but the Chinese drivers are poor quality and large.
My idea is miniaturization so that it can be inserted inside the engine, e.g. bafang HD.
The VESC is small and well made. it only lacks a good software and a few small signal converters

I want to have LCD functionality (TSDZOpenSource) and that is the most important thing.
Pressure sensor and responsiveness is not that important to me, because it will work better than other solutions, such as your Chinese drivers, which only have a PAS sensor
If it was important to me, I will buy Shimanno SP8

With such a driver, I can even mount a bicycle with a HUB motor up to 70A (a different VESC model)
I am buying a pressure sensor:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/32952233498.html
And I have a beautiful solution.

It can also be used in other MID engines

Which of your Chinese drivers is so small and has 50-70A nominal current?
Yes, Shimanno, BOSCH and even Bafang motors are very expensive. It is very hard to develop for them since as users we can not buy repair parts or if we can, they are really expensive!!

Yes, the displays SW102 and 850C/860C are very popular for ebikes (and even being using on electric motorcycles!), if you like them, go ahead and use them with our OpenSource firmware.

And I suggest you to make your repository on github to put all the files and notes about your project, then I can link on the main page of https://opensourceebike.github.io/.

Would you like to make your repository under https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike?

Here an example of SW102 being used on the famous Sur-Ron elecric dirybike:

[youtube]vrwv-lQwRJE[/youtube]

User discusses the advantages to use SW102 over any other big display, for his Sur-Ron offroad dirtybike:
[youtube]A_fL_Fblvbw[/youtube]

option byte.PNGHi I am having some issues with the brake error issue on a 860c. Everything was working fine for the last year and when i went out of r a ride the other day i got the failed start and then error brakes message running version 1.1.0 firmware on the 860 and TSDZ2-v1.1.1.hex on the controller. I read how i should reset the option byte, nit sure how to do this?

So far I have replaced the brakes and reset the read out protection on the options.

Regards

Huds

I got 850c whit tsdz2 kit from ali and cant flash display, it says readout protection enabled. in the instruction it says erase and or unlock the display. how do i remove the readout protection. i am using the swd flashing.

The instructions on wiki for Bluetooth flashing to SW102[1] do not work.

Follow the next steps every time you want to update the firmware to a new version:

1. 1. install "nRF Connect" from your appstore of choice
    2. download our sw102-otauptdate-xxx.zip file onto your phone (do not unzip)
    3. press and hold the M key on the SW102, then press and hold the power button. Keep both buttons pressed down for at least eight seconds. You can then release the buttons. You will know you are in the bootloader if the screen stays dark.
    4. run the "nRF Toolbox" app, click on SW102_DFU connect and then click on "DFU" (for device firmware upgrade)

The device when powered on ordinarily is visible as "OS-EBike" (I presume this is normal), however, when holding the M key and then pressing and holding the power button, the device powers off quickly, "OS-EBike" disappears, and no "SW102_DFU" is visible either in nRF Toolkit or nRF Connect.

Is this a known issue?

It's a newly flashed bootloader, via SWD, version 0.19.12.

[1] https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/...n-SW102#flash-sw102-firmware-using-bootloader

rdancer said:
The instructions on wiki for Bluetooth flashing to SW102[1] do not work.

Follow the next steps every time you want to update the firmware to a new version:

1. 1. install "nRF Connect" from your appstore of choice
    2. download our sw102-otauptdate-xxx.zip file onto your phone (do not unzip)
    3. press and hold the M key on the SW102, then press and hold the power button. Keep both buttons pressed down for at least eight seconds. You can then release the buttons. You will know you are in the bootloader if the screen stays dark.
    4. run the "nRF Toolbox" app, click on SW102_DFU connect and then click on "DFU" (for device firmware upgrade)

The device when powered on ordinarily is visible as "OS-EBike" (I presume this is normal), however, when holding the M key and then pressing and holding the power button, the device powers off quickly, "OS-EBike" disappears, and no "SW102_DFU" is visible either in nRF Toolkit or nRF Connect.

Is this a known issue?

It's a newly flashed bootloader, via SWD, version 0.19.12.

[1] https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/...n-SW102#flash-sw102-firmware-using-bootloader

First you have to open the display and install the FW with the cables. It will active the bluetooth for future updates using the NRF software.

https://github-wiki-see.page/m/OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Open-SW102-by-cutting-keypad-base-and-solder-SWD-wires#Open_SW102

I bought a SW102 display to install on my cargo bike with TSDZ2. While following the process to open this display to flash the bootloader firmware, I destroyed the display because I was counting to have the flash pins on a place and there was not, because this seems to be a different board :-( :-(

Older board:
SW102_solder_SWD_wires-03.jpg

Some other board version:
image.png

So, I decided I will not invest more on SW102 and instead build a display using similar OLED display with similar size, and I will reuse TSDZ2 wireless board for which I will only need to solder extra 4 wire for the popular cheap I2C OLED display. This way I will reuse the firmware we did developed for SW102, as the microcontroller we are using is similar but more recent and powerful.

Would be sad to lost the firmware we did develop:
[youtube]q0N5W3Fgyjk[/youtube]

This is the current TSDZ2 wireless board (that can also easily done DIY, without this custom PCB):
file.php

file.php

To that board, we just need to add 4 wires to connect to this OLED display:

They keypad can be the good one from 850C display, that we can buy cheap at unit:
uploading a photo

And I also have the most popular electric scooter Xiaomi M365 with OpenSource firmware, that I can also use this display for it. It only need extra simple connections to wire throttle and brake sensor.

diagonti said:
Happy New Year!

I've been reading this forum for quite a while, first time poster though - holidays have given me the opportunity to dive in and replace the LCD (now 850C) and firmware on my TSDZ2.

I can't seem to get the 850C LCD to power on without holding down the power button. Am I doing something wrong?

Holding down the power button shows a successful negotiation between the controller and LCD, firmware versions are displayed - however, the screen appears stuck there. It never progresses to any other screen, and releasing the power button powers off the display. Pressing the other buttons appears to have no effect.

sOy1VYA.jpg

850C Firmware Version: 0.6.1
TSDZ2 firmware: 0.50.0

Both downloaded from here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/releases/tag/850C_v0.6.1

Voltage measured with a multimeter between ground and blue/brown join is 50.4V, and between ground and red/orange join is 48.6V while the button is held down, 2.13V when not. The LCD reports around 48.2V before the text is replaced with the TSDZ2 firmware version.

I've double-checked my wiring in accordance with the wiki. I've tried powering from both battery and a bench power supply, and I get the same results. I've tried unplugging the battery and letting it all sit for a bit, no avail there either. I've also tried re-flashing the firmware on each. Hoping I've made a simple mistake somewhere?

Thanks for all the work on this project done by all, and for your suggestions in advance.

Hi all,
Did you find a solution for your problem?
I recently bought a TSDZ2 kt with 850c display with the Green Pedel(looks like the original Intelligent!) software on it.
When I wanted to install the "850C-display-OSF_v1.1.0-for-bootloader", my screen stays black when I power on. I tried older versions, but it didn't help. When I flash it with the 860c_v1.1.0, the screen pops-up when I hold the power button but disappear when I release. Looks familiar to your problem. Any idea what to do?
IMG_6161.jpg

I think I have bricked my 850c screen after attempting to flash the opensource firmware. I have a new motor with the 6 pin output from the motor for the screen. I have another motor which has the 8 pin with the harness that connects to an 850c screen with a 5 pin and i have updated the firmaware on that screen without issue. For this new motor with the 6 pin i connected a 6 pin wire to the bootlaoder box (from eco-ebike.com) based on the diagram from viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93818&start=6045#p1575672 . Picture of the wiring included here. I alos stripped the housing from the cable at the connector end in order to ensure that hte wire colors are connected to the expected pins. I also included a pic of the usual 5 pin higo used with the bootloader box.

I then went through the procedure and flashed the firmware. Everything seemed to work, the progress completed to 100% and then i disconnected the screen. The problem is the screen wont turn on anymore when either trying by connecting to the bike or with the bootloader box. I tried reflashing the screen but when i short press the power it doesnt connect and if i long press it also does not turn on.

Is there any way to verify if i have caused a short circuit in the screen chip or how to verify that it is indeed bricked ? Any way to verify functionality using the usb port of the screen ?

Attachments

• 850c-wiring.png
    850c-wiring.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 20211011_121228.jpg
    20211011_121228.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 20211011_121255.jpg
    20211011_121255.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,058
pbert said:
I think I have bricked my 850c screen after attempting to flash the opensource firmware. I have a new motor with the 6 pin output from the motor for the screen. I have another motor which has the 8 pin with the harness that connects to an 850c screen with a 5 pin and i have updated the firmaware on that screen without issue.

Likely the 850c screen is a 2021 version (check the back) which this version of the firmware does not support. You need to use the mrbusa forked firmware.

mctubster said:
pbert said:
I think I have bricked my 850c screen after attempting to flash the opensource firmware. I have a new motor with the 6 pin output from the motor for the screen. I have another motor which has the 8 pin with the harness that connects to an 850c screen with a 5 pin and i have updated the firmaware on that screen without issue.

Likely the 850c screen is a 2021 version (check the back) which this version of the firmware does not support. You need to use the mrbusa forked firmware.

Yes it is a new 2021 version. Does this also apply to the 860C ? And now that my screen wont turn on is it too late to do anything ? It is bricked you think ? Or is there a way to install the forked firmware ? Thanks.

mctubster said:
pbert said:

Do you have a link to the mrbusa forked firmaware and also any instructions on how to install it ? Is it the same as installing OSF instructions from eco-ebike.com ?

Thanks.

So i am guessing that the emmebrusa fork is not compatible with the caisanho version of the OSF. I have to flash both the motor and display with same versions ? Does anyone have images of what the display looks like with the mbrusa version ?

https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-860C/wiki#display

pbert said:
mctubster said:
pbert said:

Do you have a link to the mrbusa forked firmaware and also any instructions on how to install it ? Is it the same as installing OSF instructions from eco-ebike.com ?

Thanks.

https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-860C/releases/tag/v20.1C.3-860C-NEW

And topic

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=110682

Hi all. First time I've tried using my TSDZ2 bike since Covid homeworking started 19 months ago for me. The bike wouldn't power up. The 860C display back light comes on but display stays black. I'm able to flash the display and upgraded the firmware but still same. I guess it just died.

Thankfully had a spare 860C display, flashed it and the bike work. Only thing is that I can't get into the configuration menu. The wiki says I should hold the UP and DOWN buttons simultaneously (long press), but nothing happens. Everything else seems to be working, I can adjust the assist level up and down so the buttons do work.

What could be going on ?

rcx194 said:
Hi all. First time I've tried using my TSDZ2 bike since Covid homeworking started 19 months ago for me. The bike wouldn't power up. The 860C display back light comes on but display stays black. I'm able to flash the display and upgraded the firmware but still same. I guess it just died.
Yes, that displays are expensive and fail like that, and they were not made to be possible the repair. That is why I am developing our DIY display based on SW102, very easy and cheap to build and repair, for both TSDZ2 and Xiaomi scooters.

It is already working well but I am now designing the final 3D printed enclosure that will use 4 small screws for easy access to internals in the case of need to repair:

[youtube]OMFQrQFPTTY[/youtube]

Yeah I'm on my third display and I've hardly had any use out of the bike. The first display just stopped seeing the motor, the second stopped powering up.

With this latest display that won't open the config menu, am I doing something wrong or is there a bug or another faulty display? I'll try downgrading the firmware later today.

I'll go for the SW102 option next time.

rcx194 said:
Yeah I'm on my third display and I've hardly had any use out of the bike. The first display just stopped seeing the motor, the second stopped powering up.

With this latest display that won't open the config menu, am I doing something wrong or is there a bug or another faulty display? I'll try downgrading the firmware later today.

I'll go for the SW102 option next time.
I think is this: #define SCREENCLICK_ENTER_CONFIGURATIONS ONOFFUPDOWN_LONG_CLICK

SW102 has a big problem that there are different versions and so is easy to trash a new one while you try to open it to install the our bootloader firmware.

Because 850C / 860C display are expensive, suddenly fail and were done to not be repaired, I now have our simple, DIY, easy to repair display, based on the SW102 display. It works very well but still needs some more firmware development, mainly to refine some things.

https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/ev_display_bluetooth_ant

Here is a video of the display working on my EBike with TSDZ2 motor:
[youtube]viimR74NPZk[/youtube]

I did the 3D printing enclosure in a way it fix to the handlebar in a similar way of the Garmin GPS displays, using the elastic, so should be easy to fix on any handlebar position.
On the bottom there are 4 small screws on the corners, to easily open in the case of needed repair:

It also works with our mobile app, where we can make the configurations, change the assist level and see motor data:
android1-small.jpg
android2-small.jpg
android-config1.jpg

Fantastic work casainho I might need to get me a 3d printer.
Can anyone help me out in terms of the two osf in development, casainho and emmebrusa. What's the difference, is it about the startup boost (emmerbrusa). Perhaps it's just try them both and see which I prefer, but it feels like I'm missing something here, am I?

andyb said:
Fantastic work casainho I might need to get me a 3d printer.
Can anyone help me out in terms of the two osf in development, casainho and emmebrusa. What's the difference, is it about the startup boost (emmerbrusa). Perhaps it's just try them both and see which I prefer, but it feels like I'm missing something here, am I?
I am not being developing my motor firmware, probably emmebrusa version has more features.

Pictures of a build with OLED 1.3 inches, the same size as SW102 screen:

Hello everyone.

I wasn't satisfied with the open source UI for the SW102 display, so I've made a different version. Functionally it's the same but it looks better IMHO. I encourage you to try it :)
It's mostly compatible with casainho's original code - you can switch between my version and the 1.1.0 release with OTA update and your settings will be preserved.

This is the addres of my github repo: https://github.com/anszom/SW102_LCD . You can find slightly more information there, including short usage and installation instructions. A prebuilt update image is available on the releases page.

Here's an animated demo of the firmware' s functionality (this was recorded with an "emulator" build. It's difficult enough to take good pictures of an OLED, let alone do it while riding a bike:). The real display runs as smooth as you can see in the gif. And below you can see some actual photos.
sw102.gif

Main screen. Please disregard the butchered display casing, I've had to entirely rebuild the damn thing after I've fried the CPU with wrong voltages.
sw102_1.jpg

Config menu:
sw102_2.jpg

Assist level configuration:
sw102_3.jpg

Torque sensor calibration:
sw102_4.jpg

As a bonus, it should be easy to port this to casainho's DIY display, as the electronics are quite similar.

Back