Your Creation's Before & After Pics

Cool lookin bike, e_nz , im going to have to copy blacked out look for rest of the step though frame with basket bike I'm currently building, just finished spraying frame candy cherry red though,
just one thing noticed is straps for child seat on seat tube look like they could slip over tubes prob wrong but thought mention, must be fun both out on the bike :D

A nice bright neon sign with an arrow = paint your bicycle bright colors instead of black

I personally like black on black on black bikes with no flash tends to blend in and most importantly you have less people chit chatting about your ebike when your out and about.

Explaining things to perfect strangers with the same questions over and over again gets boring.
I have no time to explain things to them anymore.
I used to, and you are right you get people asking you to build them an ebike or fix their ebike.
If you have the time, and dont have a good paying career, you rent (no mortgage), dont have much, if any assets.... then yeah thats the way to go: build ebikes, buy batteries under your name for resale.
I prefer to keep my house and my money, then risk losing it.
I wouldnt care if I lived in certain other countries, knowing full well I am well insulated.
Isn't that why that ES guy selling the tab welder quit selling?
Sure you can have a disclaimer "For Offroad Use Only" like what Luna does.
You can go one step further and have a ToS agreement (that no one reads) upon clicking buy, like what NKON does.

by markz » Aug 28 2021 11:25pm

Explaining things to perfect strangers with the same questions over and over again gets boring.
I have no time to explain things to them anymore.
I used to, and you are right you get people asking you to build them an ebike or fix their ebike.
If you have the time, and dont have a good paying career, you rent (no mortgage), dont have much, if any assets.... then yeah thats the way to go: build ebikes, buy batteries under your name for resale.
I prefer to keep my house and my money, then risk losing it.
I wouldnt care if I lived in certain other countries, knowing full well I am well insulated.
Isn't that why that ES guy selling the tab welder quit selling?
Sure you can have a disclaimer "For Offroad Use Only" like what Luna does.
You can go one step further and have a ToS agreement (that no one reads) upon clicking buy, like what NKON does.

I'm not wore down as yet. Some are frustrating. Was just kidding you. :lol:

Project started in May 2020 with an old 2008 ICE QNT 3x20'' - rear suspended. Carbon fiber seat.

Trike before modification
IMG_0224.jpg

I bought a rear disk 700C rim and mounted a GMAC 10T with Strong Sapim spokes.
The cycle analyst V3 at the front boom between the feet.
Custom made battery 48V9AH 13s3P with Sony VTC6 cells.
Regen breaking and electronic freewheeling.
Baserunner L10 controler
Erider Torque PAS sensor
Consumption between 2,8 and 4,5 WH depending on where I set the speed limit :lol: (approx 48km/h max on flat) (with 10 to 20% regen breaking additional WH)
Range between 65 and 130 KM.
The baserunner and the battery are both in the battery bag below the carbon seat.

Trike after modification June 2020
IMG_3997.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg

Next modification in planning.
  • A wider and stronger tubeless ready rim
  • 72V battery and Phaserunner and bigger tires :lol:
  • Custom made luggage rack at a much lower position. This is so uncomfortable to have the computer and shopping bags so high.

I couldn't have done this without reading this forum, Grintech youtube videos from Justin and I keep learning while discussing with people from this forum and grintech excelent after/before sales service. :thumb:
I hope I can give this knowledge back one day.

by zorbas » Aug 31 2021 1:40pm

Project started in May 2020 with an old 2008 ICE QNT 3x20'' - rear suspended. Carbon fiber seat.

Nice, build. I like rouges that go with taller wheels. I see you changed the rear fork. Is it sold now. Should be smoother with the taller wheel but if you lost your suspension wonder what the difference in the ride now?

I have a rear rack, learn early on not to put much weight up there. I have some panniers that hang down. They rub a little so in two years have a small hole on each side. I carry a water bladder, tubes and some tools. Only use the water. Built a platform between the front wheels for my battery. Fits perfectly but I have direct steering.

ZeroEm said:
I see you changed the rear fork. Is it sold now. Should be smoother with the taller wheel but if you lost your suspension wonder what the difference in the ride now?
The white rear fork is from an ICE VTX 2014. It is not smooth because of the geometry of the fork and of the position of the fixture of the seat with the frame. The models afterwards are much smoother. They absorb the vibrations through the carbon seat. Maybe one of the next improvements too.

ZeroEm said:
Built a platform between the front wheels for my battery. Fits perfectly but I have direct steering.
Nice! I would have preferred to leave my battery in the front as well, to balance the weight a little. But in the end, the battery below the seat brings the center of gravity very low and keep the trike very stable.

:lol: yes, we want it all. Weight on the front wheel and low center of gravity. I keep trying to figure out how to get my battery low and to the front. Maybe working on that till the end of days.

Hello everyone at ES, this is my first post! I'm Tim, from Fremantle in Western Australia.
I've been a naughty lurker for several months... :wink: But I am now a member!
Firstly, I'd like to say, this forum is totally awesome, the amount of knowledge, skills, help and assistance that all members provide is an absolute credit to everyone.

I've been following Karl Gleeson, and Bruno (another crazy Aussie-god I love his enthusiasm and spirit...what a legend) for quite a while. I built my first E-bike about 6 years ago, just a basic 1kW hub set up, but is was great, doing 15km each way commute took me pretty much the same time compared to driving my car....crazy hey...bloody traffic nowadays!

So anywaaaayyy, back to this actual thread topic, I'm currently riding a BBSHD powered Malvern Star "Vendetta" that I put together from a couple of old bikes. Unfortunately, I don't have any before pics, but you get the idea :p

The aluminium frame was purchased from a rubbish tip shop (I believe they are called "waste transfer stations" now) for $15 AUD. The wheels (Alex Rims G3000 disc 26"), drivetrain (Shimano Deore with 9 speed cassette) and RST Gila XE double crown forks are from an old DH bike that my little brother was gonna throw out after he ended up cracking the steerer tube (he's pretty hardcore :twisted:).

I purchased the complete BBSHD kit from Pirez Electric Bikes here in Australia, and it has been perfectly flawless so far. I got a 20Ah 52V triangle pack, which easily gives me 60 or 70 kms range with only light pedalling, could probably get close to 90kms if I wanted...it's reasonably hilly where I live/ride.

She does 61.2km/h on a bit of a downhill run, and is just sweet at around 40 to 45km/k just cruising along.

This bike is basically my "tractor", I've got a basket and pannier bags which go on the rear rack, and I can haul a good load of groceries or whatever. She's a heavy girl, but she's definitely got some grunt!

The current sensing resistors that I ordered have finally arrived, so I'm gonna do the basic 45A shunt mod....just solder 1 resistor on to one of the original ones.. I'm also waiting on a Luna PEEK gear, so will probably do it all at once, when I have all parts on hand.

The build I'm currently working on is a light weight city commuter hybrid, which will be a Kepler Friction Drive set up (thanks John, for your amazing engineering, design, testing and production work) so stay tuned :D

Attachments

• IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 2,538
  • IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 2,538
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 2,537
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 2,538
Hi everyone, this is my current build.
It's a Reid Cycles "City 1" aluminium framed hybrid commuter. Sort of lower to mid range deadly treadly. Suntour NEX-P-700C forks, cantilever rim brakes and 700C double wall alloy wheels. Drivetrain is Shimano dual SIS Acera with 3x7 sprockets. All pretty basic stuff, but hey, it's rough enough for the bush :wink:

Most of my electric drive components arrived this week, so have been playing around with VESC Tool programming to set the system up. I'm running a 6374 BLDC at 170kV, through a 60V V4.12 VESC, with a 48V Li-ion 12Ah 13s4p battery pack.

So I'm just under max Erpm ratings for both the motor and controller, but I will obviously be running the set up at way below that....I think that close to 3 kW would be slightly overboard! I'll probably try it at around 15A max motor current to start with....although that may even be too much! I just want to run this set up with Li-ion, which I already have (with chargers etc), rather than going Li-po, yes, it'll be a bit more weight, but nothing too major as my commute nowadays is only 5km each way.

The last thing I'm waiting on is Kepler's mounting hardware kit, which will be rocking up here in the next day or so.
A special thanks to John for his endless and tireless work on his drive system, which I reckon is un-matched. I'm really looking forward to getting this system installed and running, and play with it from there.

Just as a caveat, I have no relation with John, have never met him, am not being paid any kind of commission or any of that cr@p, It's unfortunately a sad reflection on society when one has to state that kind of thing, but I am simply giving credit where credit is due. I am an ex Royal Australian Navy marine engineer, and I am damn proud that the good ol' Aussie ingenuity is still alive and well :D

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    398.4 KB · Views: 2,534
  • IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 2,534
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 2,534
  • IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    496.6 KB · Views: 2,534
  • IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 2,533
  • IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 2,533
  • IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 2,534
by Timmy@Ozz » Sep 02 2021 12:59am

PS...any of you Aussie blokes jealous of my Coopers beer fridge??
I won it from a competition at my local bottle shop...damn stoked I was :p

Anyone one who has a Coopers beer fridge is more than welcome here. Even if you know John.

Nice build, bet that chain would love that 3Kw. Hope you have some hills to tear up.

Fremantle. There's a little up and down along the Swan, but not a hill within 50km.

Like those factory fs100 tyres gonna have find me some saddle and grips look comfy to, you should upgrade suspension seat post on the Reid I recommend the suntour ncx makes ride much better, PS is all about the VB s when I'm in oz :mrgreen:

Greendog said:
Like those factory fs100 tyres gonna have find me some saddle and grips look comfy to, you should upgrade suspension seat post on the Reid I recommend the suntour ncx makes ride much better, PS is all about the VB s when I'm in oz :mrgreen:

Yeah, VB is OK too :wink:
I like the Tioga FS100's, good grip on the pavement, and I run em a bit soft, so they give a good ride.
That suspension seat post on the Reid is total junk alright! It's a Zoom, with the tension adjustment backed right off, there's almost zero give in it...hey, there's an idea, Zoom bicycle components should change their name to Zero, as in Zero use to anybody :lol:
Thanks for the recommendation :thumb:

TDB said:
Fremantle. There's a little up and down along the Swan, but not a hill within 50km.

Oh, is that a fact? :roll:
Off the top of my head, I can probably list at least 5 decent ball busters within 10 kms of Freo, but hey, I'm no super-human cycling athlete, so it is possible that you and I have differing opinions on what constitutes a hill :D

Timmy@Ozz said:
TDB said:

Off the top of my head, I can probably list at least 5 decent ball busters within 10 kms of Freo, but hey, I'm no super-human cycling athlete, so it is possible that you and I have differing opinions on what constitutes a hill :D

Don't get your panties in a bunch sailor...

It is! :p

TDB said:
Timmy@Ozz said:
TDB said:

Mate, whoever you are, you are obviously a real hero, the type that I will definitely not, hence forth, be engaging with.
Enjoy your superior life, my friend. I'm out.

Timmy@Ozz said:
TDB said:
Timmy@Ozz said:
TDB said:

Mate, whoever you are, you are obviously a real hero, the type that I will definitely not, hence forth, be engaging with.

Don't be so thin skinned. Roll your eyes expect something back.
Fact remains Fremantle area and Perth is coastal flat. It is dishonest to pretend otherwise. A few spots you'll get an elevation gain of 20m getting up from the foreshore, but that is about it. Kings Park barely rates a mention - 80m in about 4km is about 2%. Closest thing to a hill is near Kelmscott or Armadale. Canning Mills Road is a good one, but still fairly small even by Australian standards. Adelaide is not world renown for challenging climbs and they are twice the best near Perth.
I grew up in Perth, deep into cycling and rode everywhere, Fremantle was on my school day route so I speak from some experience.

TDB said:
Timmy@Ozz said:
TDB said:
Timmy@Ozz said:

Don't be so thin skinned. Roll your eyes expect something back.
Fact remains Fremantle area and Perth is coastal flat. It is dishonest to pretend otherwise. A few spots you'll get an elevation gain of 20m getting up from the foreshore, but that is about it. Kings Park barely rates a mention - 80m in about 4km is about 2%. Closest thing to a hill is near Kelmscott or Armadale. Canning Mills Road is a good one, but still fairly small even by Australian standards. Adelaide is not world renown for challenging climbs and they are twice the best near Perth.
I grew up in Perth, deep into cycling and rode everywhere, Fremantle was on my school day route so I speak from some experience.

OK Sir, now that you have publicly called me a liar, I guess I will have to respond.

This thread, and this forum in general, is about the building and advancement of E-bikes and EV's in general, is it not?

You seem to feel the need, for reasons that I can't fathom, to post comments, which are basically off topic, unhelpful, argumentative and antagonistic.

You stated that I am being dishonest, by falsely claiming that there are hills in the region where I live. As a Veteran with a physical disability, there are many hills near my home, which, without E-power, I would have to dismount, and push my bicycle up. There are many hills, a few of which are almost a km long, that I can simply roll down, no pedaling, no power, and easily reach over 40km\h, now that, in my mind, and in the mind of most sane people, constitutes a hill.
If you don't call that a hill, what do you call it? I never said that I lived in the mountains, or that the hills around here are all 45 degree gradients that stretch on for endless km's.
You may be able to complete the Tour De France without breaking a sweat, and simply laugh at the hills around here and not even need to drop a cog to go roaring up them, I don't know, but if so, I'm happy for you.

I believe this great forum is about the advancement of EV's, not about starting arguments of "that's not a real hill".

But once again, I don't appreciate being called a liar.
I hope you have a lovely weekend :)

Cool, lets get back on topic :bigthumb:

eBikes know the difference. At the Summit if FF is not boiling it's a hill. If it's boiling then your thermal rollback quit working on that mountain.

A hill is a piece of land that rises higher than everything surrounding it. It looks like a little bump in the Earth. Since theyre higher than everything around them, hills are good places to get a nice view.

Hills are easier to climb than mountains. They are less steep and not as high. But, like a mountain, a hill will usually have an obvious summit, which is its highest point.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, there is no official difference between hills and mountains. The United Kingdom and the United States used to define hills as summits less than 1,000 feet. However, both countries abandoned the distinction in the mid-twentieth century.
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/hill/Hill

ZeroEm said:
eBikes know the difference. At the Summit if FF is not boiling it's a hill. If it's boiling then your thermal rollback quit working on that mountain.

A hill is a piece of land that rises higher than everything surrounding it. It looks like a little bump in the Earth. Since theyre higher than everything around them, hills are good places to get a nice view.

Hills are easier to climb than mountains. They are less steep and not as high. But, like a mountain, a hill will usually have an obvious summit, which is its highest point.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, there is no official difference between hills and mountains. The United Kingdom and the United States used to define hills as summits less than 1,000 feet. However, both countries abandoned the distinction in the mid-twentieth century.
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/hill/Hill

Thanks Zero, there you have it folks.
Oh, by the by, I'm out the E-bike today, enjoying the lovely spring weather here in Fremantle, and I thought I'd snap a picture or 2 of some unknown rises in elevation that are within 3km of my house. I'm not sure what they are, can someone please ring the Freo Hill Police and inform them that we appear to have an imposter inside the Freo 50km Hill Exclusion Zone. 😊 Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210904_124828.jpg
    20210904_124828.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 2,415
  • 20210904_135315.jpg
    20210904_135315.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 2,415
Back