Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

speedmd said:
If the life cycle and capacity end up coming close to claims, you could see relatively large cap packs fitting inside conventional size bike tubes soon.

Great. What could possibly go wrong?

german-200mm-mortar.jpg

I've worked on enough Van Moofs that I won't work on Van Moofs anymore. The designers ruined that bike by pandering to people's infantile obsession with hiding the working parts of a machine.

Hillhater said:
Another player in the LiSulphur market claiming 3x the energy density of NMC, thermal control, low cost, yada yada yada...
Oxis tried that. I tested some of their cells, and they met their specs at first even though the specs weren't very good. A month later they were dead. They went bankrupt.

I did not find this in search, so here goes ; Aceleron non welded battery using compression technology https://www.aceleronenergy.com/

That is what some are trying todo here. compression fit. Wonder what materials they are using to maintain compression. I see the bolts but it's the pads would like to know more about.

Have not started building batteries as yet. Don't think applying heat if best for long life batteries. Sure it's great for a year or two.
That and the ability to service them would be a bit less dramatic.

by aroundqube » Oct 01 2021 7:40pm

I did not find this in search, so here goes ; Aceleron non welded battery using compression technology https://www.aceleronenergy.com/

Aceleron patent info with patent images download https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0227697.html Regarding PR releases , a reporter wrote about the large number of vehicle batteries to become worn out and the negative effect of recycling cells that are welded together . Aceleron is saying that when their design is no longer able to power a vehicle , the cells can be moved to a storage unit for solar use, etc.

I think some of the weld-free packs done on the forum here look better than theirs. I'm still not convinced that weld-free compression packs will hold up long term. There will either be corrosion on the contacts or the ends of the cells will get dented. But I see some that have been working for a while so it may be possible.

aceleron battery.JPG

Yes, just let me know when they are ready. :lol: My mind is having issues after reading what Luke has to say about welding to Can cells. Seems no matter how good it's done the battery ends up with some level of damage. I know it may not be that much. But it bothers me. If the weld free don't seem ready in the next few years then think of switching container type.

by fechter » Oct 03 2021 11:01am

I think some of the weld-free packs done on the forum here look better than theirs. I'm still not convinced that weld-free compression packs will hold up long term. There will either be corrosion on the contacts or the ends of the cells will get dented. But I see some that have been working for a while so it may be possible.

Interesting, but....they dont explain exactly what the big improvement in track performance was due to.
The pack size & weight is unchanged (20-25 kg) and the max power drain is limited to 120 kW still.
Unless Honda’s old (2015 !) pack design was way under power , i suspect that most teams can build a 25 kg , (5 kWh ?), lipo pack with 120 kW output capacity.
But its noticeable that the regulations do not limit the capacity of the pack, only its weight, and do not limit the discharge energy, only the discharge power !
So, maybe Honda’s new pack has better energy density and can hold more KWhs and hence supply 120 kw for longer ?
Especially as there is no limit on the power delivered from the battery to the turbo ?
Yes, energy density increase seems to be the answer !
But i am surprised it has taken then since 2015 to improve that !

Theres 4500mah lipo from 2014 that have 45c discharge 25kg worth would be 4.2kwh and 180kw peaks available then theres a newer 5000mah cells that kick that figure well into touch then theres the newest lipo ive seen is a 2020 cell thats 5500mah 120c 110g a cell a pack configured with them in theory could deliver half a megawatt for 25kg lol.

Theres enough potential there to dump that into a massive coil and set off an emp pulse that would be quite powerful indeed.

Yes, as i said, that level of discharge power ..25+C has been available for many years in Lipo ( and LIfpo4)..
....but you have to consider discharge duration also. More energy density means longer discharge power periods....useful in racing.
Also with current regulations, pack cycle life is important to avoid component replacement penalties.

The pack size & weight is unchanged (20-25 kg) and the max power drain is limited to 120 kW still

Most likely it is not much lighter but has a bit more capacity. Thermal management (current rollback) is a big issue in this app so the claimed lower resistance of the new cells most likely adds a significant amount to the duty cycle.

From what I can gather, Power is limited only on the K (Drive) side directly to-from the battery . Unlimited on the H (turbo) side. Both ways!. Cells that can suck up power and dump it more efficiently will effectively be able to supercharge the piston engine harder for longer periods through the H side and or use the turbo generated electric direct to the K side without going through the battery and suffer its power limits. Driver has some options on the bias.

Max was running away from Hamilton at spa. It is a significant upgrade in this app.

More on Lithium Sulphur ..and another player. “Lyten” who have been working in the background apparently on their “Military” developments ., 900Wh/kg ....”Lytcel” !
The “sweetened” LiSulphur cell is now proposed as a practical 500 Wh/kg , 1000cycle cell within 5 years :roll:
https://youtu.be/mqH5yB9RB_Y
[youtube]mqH5yB9RB_Y[/youtube]

Many are selling 2022 auto models now and claim is the 2025-26 models will have access to the Lyten lithium sulfur cells. Looks like capacity (Need faster 3D graphene process?) is being promised out to the aviation players at the moment on a prototype basis.
https://aviationweek.com/aerospace/urban-unmanned-aviation/lyten-eyes-early-aviation-market-energy-dense-lithium-sulfur
lytenbetter.jpg

Hillhater said:
Paywalled !
Anything revealing inside that article ?

I had the same question. Way too cheap to pay to read it however :oops: Most likely the brief exposed bits say what needs to be understood, that the stuff is way too expensive for cheap EV manufacturers and they are focusing on markets with deeper pockets.

https://aviationweek.com/aerospace/urban-unmanned-aviation/lyten-eyes-early-aviation-market-energy-dense-lithium-sulfur

I'm not sure whos most mad anymore is it me licking the window on the inside or the outsiders trying to lick they way in, one things for sure the glass is mighty clean.

Factorial Solid State Batteries for Hyundai and Kia EVs .
Another player in the Lithium SS cell tech has linked up with Hyundai for new pack developments.
USA based Factorial claim to have a commercial SS cell that will give 20-50% more range (energy density ?) than current Li cells
https://factorialenergy.com/

I'll have to find a good link, but...SODIUM-based batteries are getting a LOT of funding right now. Not for vehicles, but for stationary applications. It's the push for reducing or eliminating nickel and cobalt from batteries.

Nickel and cobalt have been proven to be recycle-able from packs that get old, so that is a huge relief.

YouTube recommended me this video which came out a few weeks ago, has some interesting things I didn't know, for example I thought we never see LFP because they must be kind of crappy but it turns out the real reason is they are patented so they can't be legally sold outside of China.

The video is also full of quite remarkable juicy claims, like this one at 14:42 where this guy says their up coming lithium cells exceed 500Wh/kg
https://youtu.be/DFL8iQ3p3cI?t=892

[youtube]DFL8iQ3p3cI[/youtube]

The main problem with LFP chemistry until recently was really crappy parameters, particularly energy density. For portable electronics are useless even today, but for electric vehicles you need only at least 400 Wh/l and 180 Wh/kg at the cell level (this allows for 200 miles EPA/WLTP range which is an imaginary lower limit for sustainability. EVs with lower range will soon disappear. Btw. this was already known in 2012). Industrial LFP cells with these parameters have appeared on the market in ca 2019. That simple it is.

Back