Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

dirkdiggler said:
I've gotten in trouble in my small town.

I think you answered your own question. In my experience, the smaller the town, the less the law enforcement has to do. In cities they tend to have more severe issues to deal with.

Back in the day, we used to party in the Duboce Tunnel (4,300 foot long) in San Francisco when it was raining. We would just be sure to lean against the wall to let the occasional streetcar pass. Sometimes the driver would honk at us, but not once did we have the law waiting for us when we left the tunnel.

3DTOPO said:
dirkdiggler said:

I think you answered your own question. In my experience, the smaller the town, the less the law enforcement has to do.

Also, it's always a bad idea to ride something that's conspicuously illegal.

Plate it or keep it off the street. Why is this hard for some of y'all?

scianiac said:
I think that is perhaps one of the largest problems with the Sur-Ron, you can't easily register it in most places and classifying it as an "electric scooter" does not stop you from getting pulled over for riding an unregistered dirt bike on the street.

I can not agree about "most places". As far as I know, in Europe and UK you just buy road legal version, that comes with all neccesary documents and equipment, and register it as electric moped.
I was the first person to register Sur-Ron in my country, so had to pay 25€ to enter the data about new vehicle in local database and wait few days for confirmation. Then I just registered it for free and got my plate. Now people do not have to pay anything or even wait.
Now I just have to buy insurance for less then 5€ a month and can ride it wherever mopeds are allowed without any worries.

I feel fortunate I was able to get moped plates for mine. I have insurance and don't ride like an idiot. I've been pulled over once, but when I pointed out the plates and told him it was electric, he got back in the car and drove off.

Chalo said:
3DTOPO said:
dirkdiggler said:

I think you answered your own question. In my experience, the smaller the town, the less the law enforcement has to do.

Also, it's always a bad idea to ride something that's conspicuously illegal.

Plate it or keep it off the street. Why is this hard for some of y'all?

Yah! whats wrong with y'all? I mean, nobody has ever broken the law because the EV was plated/registered :mrgreen: . On another note, I am glad Chalo is still looking in on us deviants :wink: . Some of us have missed Chalo's perspectives.

Merlin said:
US guys "cant" register...

Just plain not true... there are fifty states and they all have different rules/regs... here most anything with lights and mirrors can get normal street registration/plates (and pay for it too)...

No worries we're a very long way from apology territory - I'd just be careful about too broad a brush when describing the states tho

Some states out here can be incredibly difficult to get much of anything on the road and some even really hard to keep much on the road even after you get it there - annual "safety" inspections, smog, silly high registration fees, etc.

Others are on the other extreme... AZ is pretty loose but there are others even looser... you'd be surprised at what people plate out here though... pretty much if it has headlight, brake light and a mirror (I think you need a horn too)... I've seen a lot of homebuilt stuff, plates and all

VERY INTERMITTANT POWER AFTER HIGH SPEED RUN?
I ran my 72V Sur-Ron up to ~48MPH for a minute or so on a road and after I slowed down it sort of shut off. It was a cool day but I assumed it was a heat related problem. I waited a few minutes and tried it again and it would run but was VERY jerky. It seems to have ~ normal power for a second or 2 then start jerking (on/off/on/off). It seems worse in sport mode than in EP. My set up is a Nucular 24 with a 72V Chi battery. I would GREATLY appreciate and advice on how to fix it. THANK YOU!

Merlin said:
apologize

that what i most readed here about us guys complain not having the option to register the surron.

Yah, because each state exercises it's own sovereign right to govern itself, the laws can vary greatly from state to state, and it can be a real crap shoot in some states to get a plate on the SurRon, and some states its easy as making no bake cookies. I am only familiar with this process in Idaho and my current state, Nevada. Its doable in both states, but Nevada makes it much harder to plate a SurRon than it is in Idaho.

Rix said:
Its doable in both states, but Nevada makes it much harder to plate a SurRon than it is in Idaho.

So what is the deal with registering one in Idaho?

From what I can tell, if it is in low-power mode it meets the criteria for a moped which does not need to be plated in the state.

In over 3,000 miles on my Sur Ron, I've only seen law enforcement once. They were at a neighbors house and passed them on the way out the subdivision, but I'd be interested in what the process is anyways. People ask me and would look at doing it someday.

I tried when I got it, but the local DMV said that I needed a certificate of origin and Luna had no interest in helping with that in anyway.

3DTOPO said:
Rix said:
Its doable in both states, but Nevada makes it much harder to plate a SurRon than it is in Idaho.

So what is the deal with registering one in Idaho?

From what I can tell, if it is in low-power mode it meets the criteria for a moped which does not need to be plated in the state.

In over 3,000 miles on my Sur Ron, I've only seen law enforcement once. They were at a neighbors house and passed them on the way out the subdivision, but I'd be interested in what the process is anyways. People ask me and would look at doing it someday.

I tried when I got it, but the local DMV said that I needed a certificate of origin and Luna had no interest in helping with that in anyway.
Key word being low powered, and limited to 30mph. But if you want to legally run it in full power mood on any roadway, highway or alleyway, then you will want to plate the surron, in Idaho, all you need is a Speedo, head light and tailight with break light, and horn. Thats it. With all that being said, with the exception of BPD, I haven't ran into any cops in Idaho that give a $h!t. Specifically Boise County, Valley County, and even Ada County deputies. In Nevada, the process is a little more involved, in addition to the above, Surron would be required to run DOT approved tires, and mirrors and turn signals to pass a DMV inspection for plating registration purposes.

Rix said:
....But if you want to legally run it in full power mood on any roadway, highway or alleyway, then you will want to plate the surron, in Idaho, all you need is a Speedo, head light and tailight with break light, and horn. Thats it. With all that being said, with the exception of BPD, I haven't ran into any cops in Idaho that give a $h!t. Specifically Boise County, Valley County, and even Ada County deputies. In Nevada, the process is a little more involved, in addition to the above, Surron would be required to run DOT approved tires, and mirrors and turn signals to pass a DMV inspection for plating registration purposes.
This is what I recall here in AZ. I took a vehicle to DMV for inspection - they made sure the brake light, head light and horn works and that you have at least one mirror.... beyond that just a place to put the plate

The frankenvehicles don't seem to attract attention from LEO's out here as long as you have a plate and if you are in an off-road area where it's required for motor vehicles to have an OHV sticker you need one of those... and of course you are not piloting like a dick...

Rix said:
But if you want to legally run it in full power mood on any roadway, highway or alleyway, then you will want to plate the surron, in Idaho, all you need is a Speedo, head light and tailight with break light, and horn. Thats it.

So basically all it needs is a break light added. What did the actual registration involve?

I saw some questions regarding the video of people driving electric bikes in NYC. I have some experience riding my sur-ron in NYC and getting chased by police.

The deal is since the George Floyd riots, the police basically don't bother anyone any more. You can do just about anything you want right now on a motorized bike and the police won't blink an eye. The citizens own the streets now, as we took the power away from the police.

I have read they try and crack down only by raiding where riders will store their bikes, this is usually for gas dirt bikes from the ghetto areas of the city, like up in Bronx.

The police are really not allowed to chase anyone, and it has been like this even before the George Floyd riots. That being said, I was chased by an unmarked police car once while on my e-bike before my Sur-Ron in NYC. They never turned on the lights or sirens but boy did they chase me with everything they had for a pretty long distance. Since they never turned on the lights or sirens they would claim they were not chasing me. I was actually surprised about this chase. A marked police car would never chase you like this.

With everything being said police in a crowded city are a joke trying to chase you with a car, you should welcome it and laugh at them. The police are actually really stupid for chasing anyone on a bike because they are putting other people at risk for something which they will never catch in a city, this is why they should be held liable in my opinion for decisions like this, which put others at risk. A bike like the Sur-Ron is pretty much the most amazing machine you can own to escape the police with in a crowded city. It has the agility of a bicycle, but the speed and power of a dirt bike, you combine those things with a driver like me who actively practices maneuvers to escape police and has both plans and experiencing running from them on numerous occasions, then its zero chance for the police.

Boy do I just love the freedom of a bike and not having to worry about tickets, I just cringe when thinking about being pulled over in a car when you have to stop and let them rape you with tickets.

Police do not stand a chance unless they ram you with the car before you expect it but then you are not running from them, but that is why you carry front and rear dash cameras on your bike because the Police do lie, and I caught them lying big time the last time they gave me a ticket in my car and I beat the ticket in court because I had the dash cam video. But boy did they make stuff up about the stop that was an outright lie to make their case better.

My best advice when you decide to run from the police is to just do it quickly by doing a sharp 180 degree turn on a side street, which will cause them about 2 minutes to turn their huge SUV around. Don't try and outrun them with speed, use your bikes great advantages against them which is the agility and sharp turning of the bike and maneuverability, not speed. The reason for a quick evasion is because the police car is much more likely to kill someone trying to chase you and you will be brought up on charges because of their reckless decision to chase someone on a bike.

Who is the troll here? The guy giving relevant and important information "me", who has experienced running from law enforcement multiple times, and also answers someone's question about how ebikes are being used in NYC.

Or the guy whos feelings are hurt because I dare run from the police and then goes ahead and posts showing his disagreement without any relevant information just with a rolling eyes smiley? Oh my, I ran from the police on an electric bike.

Like it or not, most of us are all riding illegal motorcycles in most places and talking about law enforcement is a very relevant topic. If you stop for police in NYC they will impound your bike, rape you with multiple tickets, especially driving with no insurance which you will lose your drivers license, etc. They may even lie and say you were recklessly driving which is a criminal charge, just like riding with no insurance is. You will get raped, you will get your bike impounded.

Or do you simply just do a quick 180 degree turn, and run off freely into the sunset and avoid all of this? You can even do this without them even knowing if you know they are trying to stop you if done smart.

3DTOPO said:
Rix said:
But if you want to legally run it in full power mood on any roadway, highway or alleyway, then you will want to plate the surron, in Idaho, all you need is a Speedo, head light and tailight with break light, and horn. Thats it.

So basically all it needs is a break light added. What did the actual registration involve?

DMV inspection. I did mine at the DMV HQ off of State Street the last time I went through this process. My family tells me the DMV in Garden City can do the inspection also. I don't have any experience with the DMV in your neck of the woods.

Back