Open source BMS for 48V to 400V lithium-ion battery pack

those IC you are pointing to are not even worth considering... unless maybe if I had a customer who would like to get designed a bms for an impact drill or similar device with a predetermined too expensive IC. I'd rater go with bqxxx from TI instead for such application.

LTC68xx are not that expensive when you buy directly from linear and when you consider their caracteristics, they are still the best option out there. Slave boards require isolation and have
method to communicate to other IC over the isolated channel. Most cheap monitoring IC won't have this feature built-in and you will quickly see that external isolation device will cost a lot more+more parts and less reliable.

Chinese copy of a reverse engineered GEN 1 EBMS... Shame on those chinese folks. Anyway Gen 2 is now shipping on my website and include more functionalities, way better connectors & better specs than those gen 1...

I will change my mind about those chinese folks if one day I receive some money from them, but so far they only took the whole thing and will probably never contribute to the project positively.

I haven't posted news here since a while, but the development process is huge.

New boards being developed:
- XLITE capable 10S to 24S charge only BMS with XT30 connectors
- 100V 125A ENNOID VESC
- Battery pack 3Dprinted case integrated with EBMS & cell PCB connection (DIY assembly that does not require any welding, you buy the kit + cells of your choice separately and you build it)

New firmware functionalities being developped:
- EBMS integration with VESC ecosystem over CAN bus
- VESC tool configuration app for basic configuration
- Some CAN enabled charger support.

If they could copy properly, that would be less worrying... My fears is that they don't even understand what they are selling.

I can say that just after a quick look on their pictures & from what I read in the description... According to what I read, their BMS is capable of doing things that are not possible with the actual firmware while using the default firmware... how is this possible? Some info visible on the picture is tellimg me that it won't hold the rating that are advertised. Anyway keep going.

by ENNOID » Sep 09 2021 12:11pm

If they could copy properly, that would be less worrying... My fears is that they don't even understand what they are selling.

I can say that just after a quick look on their pictures & from what I read in the description... According to what I read, their BMS is capable of doing things that are not possible with the actual firmware while using the default firmware... how is this possible? Some info visible on the picture is tellimg me that it won't hold the rating that are advertised. Anyway keep going.

Is that not typical. I look for quality not cheap knockoffs with unrealistic clams.

Found this thread following the link on the ennoid site.

A few posts above I see that you mentioned that a "gen 2" BMS was shipping on your website. Is this a gen2 of the high-voltage system, or the low-voltage "SS" version?

Your HV BMS looks like a really good fit for a project I'm planning, but the connectors were giving me pause. If there's a gen 2 with better connectors, I'm really interested!

Master-LV GEN 2has some new features: humidity sensor + charger voltage readings +5V isolated CAN bus output

Master-HV is still in GEN 1 and will be updated to have the same new features as LV GEN 2 version.

Slave boards are now shipped with those gold plated self-locking molex SL connectors with associated crimps as shown on the picture below:
1631537657925.jpg

I'm updating Master+slave boards design on a regular basis with backward compatibility in mind.
I have been focused on other stuff lately and also working hard on firmware dev. + new hardware like SS, battery pack & inverter dev. That explain why it takes so much time to update Master boards design. Some customer also asked for their own custom design as well, so it pushes further the new gen boards

amazing work really
If i am ask i have 2 questions:
1. Is there a method to make it work with 12v (4s) or 24v (8s) batteries ?
2. what is the standby current consumption ( no load / no charging ) ?

Depends on which product you are referring to.

For SS, SS-LITE & future XLITE when BMS is turned off, current consumption is well below 50uA for all of them. You have probably more discharge from the terminals than from the BMS itself. Those boards can work down to 4S packs, but I must changes manually some resistor on the boards to make this possible. After that, the max operating number of cell is also reduced. It ends up being very expensive to use those BMS for small battery packs. I'd say, pick another product if you have a 4S pack.

thank u for taking the time to reply.

Regarding power consumption i was referring to the HV version since it contains a contactor and those consume at least 2w to stay On which is nothing when drawing hundreds of amps but huge if you are in standby.

So my question is really how does the contactor gets activated ? automatically when load or charger is sensed ? or does it activate manually using a manual switch to turn the BMS charging/discharging On.

BMS take cares of main contactors activation depending on readings & user defined parameters with the ENNOID-BMS-tool. Different setups requires different parameters. There is a "not used timeout setting" that can be set to a small amount of time if you want to avoid standby losses with those power hungry main contactors.

There are many methods for powering ON the BMS : Manual power button, external 3.3V or 5V input, charger voltage detection & USB connection.

Hi Ennoid!

Just found this thread and your open source project! I was already aware of the diebiebms but since I'm not building a 48V EV (Fiat 500) I'm really interested in your designs :)

I already looked at your schematics and they seem pretty solid, the github is missing the layout files though, is that on purpose (I assume so). Any way to get to those? We're actually designing a BMS based on the same chips right now (although for stationary energy storage applications) and I would be curious to compare notes :)

Have you tried using the BMS with Tesla Modules? Seems to be a good fit from the specs at least.

Schematics on github are quite outdated. I stopped to make newest designs open source.

Firmware & software are still open source so you can use it. They do represent 90% of the work, Hardware design is only a small part.

ENNOID said:
Schematics on github are quite outdated. I stopped to make newest designs open source.

Firmware & software are still open source so you can use it. They do represent 90% of the work, Hardware design is only a small part.

Hey Kevin! I sent you an email.

@ENNOID
Hi, there!
We are interesting to equip our rather large drones park with your or similar BMS.
We are planning to use 6s and 12s configurations.
At the moment the questions are:
- is it possible to use Battery volage instead of 12V power source?
According the datasheet of LM5165 it is operable up to 65V and D10 could protect other schematics
from overvoltage.
- considering the choice between Master LV and SS versions it is interesting to know about
power circuit schematic in SS version. It is absent in GitHub.

Thanks in advance,
Vladimir

Could you read the previous post before asking the same question again and again?.

SS and XLITE BMS are way better for drone application due to their reduced weight, low power consumption and size. The XLITE 12 might be a good start... it might be one of the smallest BMS you can find with VESC CAN support.

Specs and details are listed on the website :
www.ennoid.me

ENNOID said:
Could you read the previous post before asking the same question again and again?.

SS and XLITE BMS are way better for drone application due to their reduced weight, low power consumption and size. The XLITE 12 might be a good start... it might be one of the smallest BMS you can find with VESC CAN support.

Specs and details are listed on the website :
www.ennoid.me
Sorry, but I did not find the answers to my questions:
1. Could I use Battery pack 12S Voltage(50V) instead of 12V source?
2. I do not insist of detailed schematic of SS or XLITE modules, but at least power circuit which serve instead contactor.

Can be, depends on the components used...50V tolerant contactors are quite scarse...So why go with 12S if there is no contactor for this? (at a decent price & weight)

Go on PM please for your particular needs.

Some new features for 2022:

- Delta Q charger support over CAN bus
- Elcon/TC charger support over CAN bus
- VESC & VESC-tool CAN & USB compatibility for firmware updates , data monitoring & parameters configuration
- State of charge tracking is now possible even with charge only BMS (XLITE) when using VESC CANbus

More details are available on our website:

https://www.ennoid.me/bms

Back