Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Sattva Ram said:
Dont you know how to set the motor temperature data? I heard somewhere that there is a key combination or something. Tbh i am starting to suspect that it has motor temp sensor and once my lm35 got faulty I might just be able to use a kty instead.

The only thing i saw was in port settings there are a few thermistor or something to choose from. Not sure if it just relies on that or has a way to change the throttle back temperature.

Sattva Ram said:
Don’t buy that $300 POS…
I ordered it and im wondered what I’ll dissect first. Lol. Probably the battery to see what’s inside and if the balance function works ok.

Im practicing on my power bank, 3P2S, which got pretty far out of balance from sitting idle too long without a charge.
646DE583-CE83-4467-91E2-DA1FD934B248.jpeg

One side was 0.2v lower than the other so I manually balanced it to 0.02v and will see what the BMS does in the end.

I’m checking videos about lithium ebike batteries to get some ideas but will need to take it apart to see what it really does and if its just low budget top balance bleed resistors or active balancing, and when does it end balancing, when the light turns green or what. It would be nice to have red/blue/green led for charging/balancing/fully charged and balanced.

Hopefully i can take it apart easer than the votol EM-30. Lol.

Im ready to be amazed with this $300 lithium powered ebike. Lol

I found another ad i was going to post here for your entertainment but i lost it and cant find it. It was a similar size bike, folding, and said it has eABS, and puts energy back in the battery.

Then it said “you can recharge going down a hill” and i said “ok, seems legit”.
Then it said “you can tow it with something to charge it” and i said, “ok, sketchy but can work”.
Then the ad said “you can peddle to charge it” and I said “who is going to try to peddle something hard enough to charge it on their way home to charge it with the charger?” Lol.

Anyway ordering from these online sites is like getting a prize in the bottom of a Cracker Jacks box. You pay for crap, you get crap, but still amazed of how much crap China can give you for $300. Lol

UPDATE:
I found the ad. Lol.
E413306C-D587-47A1-9E73-C237B25CF9B1.png

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products...me-day-delivery-i1993295637-s10222198266.html

I suppose it has a 100% efficiency so it's worth it to pedal charge🤪. Someone tell tesla fast! The chinese officially made it and for only 299...

(I'm so sick when people ask all the time "does it charge when you pedal?" I'm like "yeah it could but that'd be a pretty dumb thing to do". They just dont get why. I try to explain but to no avail and they get off-ended. People just buy any crap so I guess it's lucrative advertising bull.)

Active balance for 299? A proper 13s active balancer module is 40 dollar alone. You can be happy that the bms has protection. That's already a win. (Dont buy the small black active balance btw. It's junk total waste of money. You gotta buy the larger module with the big caps that indeed does a great job.)

BareKuda said:
Thanks, ill try to look up the datasheet to see what the built in FOC control uses ...
Which datasheet were you referring to ?, the processor datasheet only refers to hardware IP's, nothing on FOC implementation as it is a software construct that uses various peripherals.
BareKuda said:
... but like you say you still need to reverse engineer any modifiers Votol added in.
modifiers added over what ?

afzal said:
BareKuda said:
Thanks, ill try to look up the datasheet to see what the built in FOC control uses ...
Which datasheet were you referring to ?, the processor datasheet only refers to hardware IP's, nothing on FOC implementation as it is a software construct that uses various peripherals.
BareKuda said:
... but like you say you still need to reverse engineer any modifiers Votol added in.
The STM32 has a lot of built in motor control functions. Its has calibrate for the current loop PID and other things.

But for example the STM value for current loop integral value to be 0.100-1.200 and votol might have let you input a number 100-1200 and divide that by 1000 before saving it to where the STM32 uses that value.

There are many tools from STM for programming their chips and some videos but i dont have the things needed to get started, like a chip on a board and the software.

Sattva Ram said:
I suppose it has a 100% efficiency so it's worth it to pedal charge🤪. Someone tell tesla fast! The chinese officially made it and for only 299...

(I'm so sick when people ask all the time "does it charge when you pedal?" I'm like "yeah it could but that'd be a pretty dumb thing to do". They just dont get why. I try to explain but to no avail and they get off-ended. People just buy any crap so I guess it's lucrative advertising bull.)

Yes, only valid use i can see os if it had a center stand (which it doesn’t) and you lost power snd want to charge your phone. Lol. I think this has a phone holder with USB 5v power supply.

Only other one might be if you are doing interval training on a flat road and want to simulate a hill. Lol

Sattva Ram said:
Active balance for 299? A proper 13s active balancer module is 40 dollar alone. You can be happy that the bms has protection. That's already a win. (Dont buy the small black active balance btw. It's junk total waste of money. You gotta buy the larger module with the big caps that indeed does a great job.)

Yes, it will be interesting since the whole bike is $300, so the battery cost is probably $100-$150. Im expecting 4-5P 13S, with an 6-10ah capacity.

My power bank only has 4 lights that show how charged it is. When it got all 4 lights on steady it was still charging and seems the bleed resister is abour 4.35v. Later when it was satisfied it stopped cjarging but all 4 lights stayed green, so no clear indicator if its time to unplug.

One of the Bolton ebike videos has a good explanation about needing to leave it charging overnight occasionally to give it time to balance.

The fancy DIY batteries with blueberry BMS can tell you each brick voltage so that even better.

The amazing thing is how cheap all this has become.

A real 48v20ah lithium battery cost kore than this ebike. Even a set of 48v 20ah sla is half the cost of this bike.

Anyway it should get here within a week and i can see what it has.

The dumb bmses start to balance at 4.18 so they desperately need the charger I refuse to use dumb bmses at this point.

I just got ahold of 130 samsung 30q recently basically for free. It was dismantled from an original bosch ebike pack brand new. Since they are powercells they weld it very strongly and the guy who dismantled the pack did a horrible job and I think the negative side got damaged so I think there is some minor short in some of the cells and they drop the voltage standing still. Now the funny thing is that the capacity of the cells is perfect. They only drop voltage over time. So if the 13s10p pack that I got had a proper bms that balances aĺl the time not just when charging this whole pack would still be perfectly usable. I tried to balance it tho with the dumb bms but it simply couldnt balance it out no matter what I did because in some of the parallel groups the order of magnitude of the voltage drop was the same as the balance current of the bms so it just couldnt keep up with the voltage drop. It almost made me crazy. A proper active balance however could have completely saved the pack cause the capacities are perfect for all.

Fortunarely I can get cells very cheap samsung 35e or mj-1 for less than 2 dollars. So a kwh for me is hardly more expensive than gel. I basically get original high end cells for almost surefire price.

Here's that bad negative maybe you can see how violently the fools tore it off dents and stretches all over it. Anyway 100 pieces seem fine so that's not bad for basically free. With a smart bms it can make a very good pack still. I'll use it for the second bike I think. I already ordered the dp9 polly. I think I'll have to make a 17s pack because the bionx is too slow even at 15s. (Only the friggin 17s smart bms is too expensive relative to the 15s...😔) Maybe it will be good on 15s too with a bita flux weak. But testing would be required...

I think we're gonna be crucified for so much off topic...

Attachments

• 20220101_162053.jpg
    20220101_162053.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 878
  • 20220101_161949.jpg
    20220101_161949.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 878
BareKuda said:
afzal said:
BareKuda said:
BareKuda said:
The STM32 has a lot of built in motor control functions. Its has calibrate for the current loop PID and other things.

But for example the STM value for current loop integral value to be 0.100-1.200 and votol might have let you input a number 100-1200 and divide that by 1000 before saving it to where the STM32 uses that value.

I think by "builtin motor control functions", you are referring to the ST's MCSDK software (and that would mean Votol is just reusing ST's FOC software's), if not then we are talking past each other.

By reverse engineering, I was referring to figuring out the hardware schematics.

Actually in hindsite the reverse problem was really solved by plugging the program cable in. It wasnt permanent but for a short time it knocked the controller out of the false operation so that's why it seemed that plugging in made it work.

Tomorrow i'll test the temp sensor with some resistance. The problem is that now I am afraid that the lm35 made its temp sensor bust. Who knows what invalid voltages the controller got from the lm35...Carrie is unreliable. I dont trust her that there is no temp sensor. The white line is wired in and also it's the same controller as the bigger ones. I think it'd be more expensive to manufacture it without a temp sensor than with temp sensor.

PrashanBhatta said:
Paulflieg said:
Delete error count!
Keep shift!
Press, twice, ^!

=calibration mode

Thank you very much. It solved my overheating problem and the motor is running fine. yayyyyyyy!!!

I managed to get to calibration mode. What do these parameters mean?

Initial
Maximum
Tc1 tc2 tc3?

It's a bit confusing

Does anyone know what the T.C. values do? I thought that it's the resistance values for a corresponding temperature so any kinda sensor could be used but no matter how I change the values it has no effect.

Attachments

• 20220104_113345.jpg
    20220104_113345.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 813
Lande Votol Bluetooth 2nd gen
Has just arrived, laptop recognises Votol device and says it’s paired but “communication abnormal, no response”
Keeps coming up. What am I doing wrong, I would really like to start setting a few parameters
4 wires plugged in, correct port selected and controller turned on.

hey guys i need help with some settings with the votol 200sp,
at the moment my settings are 230a bus,no soft start, rate of rise and decline 255, Pיhase 9960( can be changed?)
and still,
when im standing still and trying to hop the front wheel over an obstacle (enduro),
it feels like i need to have some speed to that to happened ,
and i cannot do it from standing still position,
same thing on the straight when i stop the throttle at certain position it feel like the bike keep speed up like I'm putting more throttle to it,
there is any parameter i can change to solve the issue?
thanks alot 8)

ors150 said:
hey guys i need help with some settings with the votol 200sp,
at the moment my settings are 230a bus,no soft start, rate of rise and decline 255, Pיhase 9960( can be changed?)
and still,
when im standing still and trying to hop the front wheel over an obstacle (enduro),
it feels like i need to have some speed to that to happened ,
and i cannot do it from standing still position,
same thing on the straight when i stop the throttle at certain position it feel like the bike keep speed up like I'm putting more throttle to it,
there is any parameter i can change to solve the issue?
thanks alot 8)

You have the same problem others have with starting torque and what acts like Auto Cruise control. My new $300 ebike will enter cruise control if you hold constant throttle for 10 seconds, and will disengage with brake or throttle increase. If throttle increase wont kick you out of constant speed then i might be another problem.

We know the votol has a checkbox for auto cruise and your’s probably isn’t checked but maybe you can check it, save it, reboot, then uncheck it, save it and reboot.

Some are saying if you use the wrong votol software it can do different things with the data you put in a certain field.

For the torque issue perhaps wire sports mode to a switch or hardwire it and set max current your components can take.

I think you have 2.32 so it behaves differently than mine.

Oldspot said:
Lande Votol Bluetooth 2nd gen
Has just arrived, laptop recognises Votol device and says it’s paired but “communication abnormal, no response”
Keeps coming up. What am I doing wrong, I would really like to start setting a few parameters
4 wires plugged in, correct port selected and controller turned on.

Did you watch and listen to this video already?
[youtube] https://youtu.be/jZ9YcSnQumk[/youtube]

Thanks, I don’t know if I need a usb dongle adapter, so I have ordered one and will have another go.
Really looking forward to asking you about what settings to have👍

Ik ben nieuw in de Sphere heb oude moto Sarolea omgebouwd met QS4000 motor en Votol EM150
Het werk perfect met de eerste testrit
Maar vandaag bij het aansluiten van de 40Amp battery kwam een vonk op het stekkertje ik had begrepen dat dit geen kwaad kan je moet onmiddellijk terg aansluiten en dan is de vonk er niet meer klopt
Maar niets werkt nog als ik de battery afkoppel dan meet ik +/-81 volt sluit ik ze aan meet ik niets op de Votol wat is het probleem

Attachments

• 20220104_153258.jpg
    20220104_153258.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 714
Kom er even op terug de battery is volledig opgeladen dat is zeker
Maar na het vonkje meet ik niets meer om de Votol ontkoppel ik de Votol is de spanning er terg op de batterij is het de BMS die de batterij uitschakelde of is De Votol kapot?

ivo kips said:
Dus de vraag is: waarom heb ik geen spanning op de Votol

A controller has large capacitors. When connecting empty capacitors, very high currents flow. Hence the spark! The controller can be damaged. Pre-charging with current limiting is a good idea.

Back